It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ignorant people ruining this site

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 9 2006 @ 04:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by denythestatusquo
A lot of truth to what you are saying and myself I have been guilty at times of what you say.

but those innocent kids also are cocky at times and hide behind their avatar like they know a lot more than they do.

I doubt that education matters much in many of these debates as a simple but logical and well thought out argument often beats pages and pages of facts and endlessly split hairs a lot of the time. I've seen it happen before so that should not deter anybody from entering into a debate.

Thank you for this post as it shows what the problem really is. Why do we feel a need to BEAT anyone? We're all members here, what our goal should be is to gain knowledge, what we have now may be flawed. If we are posting to only confirm what we already believe, what is gained? I look at ATS as not a place to beat someone but a place to challenge what I believe, not look for confirmation that I am right.

posted on May, 9 2006 @ 04:35 PM
link   
Speaking as someone with a troublesome superiority complex which I desperately have to keep in check (I have psychological issues), I have to honestly say that 'ignorant' people do not ruin the site generally. While I do not agree with what some people here say and it is tempting sometimes to wish that they go away due to not following my train of thought, unique thinking is what makes us all human and as advanced as we are today. Even I have to admit I may be wrong, we are all always learning and while some of us may have grown wise and knowledgable over the years (though personally my spelling has got worse unfortunately) there are others younger both/either in age and experience coming into the 'scene' the same way we all once did at some point in our lives.
If we denied these people who grace our shores simply because they are too starting out on this wonderous journey, then who will take our place in the future? People have to learn, while it can be infuriating to have to keep going over old ground as new people come in, it is a necessity in order for us to grow as a species.
Would you go into a primary school and starting poking fun at the kids for not being able to spell or read? Of course not, and while I don't want to seem patronising it is a similar aspect to consider here, always bearing in mind that no matter how certain we are there is always the slightest chance we might actually be wrong. The world's best scientists have had to completely rethink decades of ideas before on new information, and so could we.
The 'ignorant' people are (the majority of the time) simply newcomers who are just as eager and excited as we first were when we started. I can remember thinking anyone that spoke against my new found ideas was a Government Agent or working for evil, let's try not to reinforce that fear.

Feel free to direct me to this post when I act a hypocrite...

posted on May, 9 2006 @ 04:35 PM
link   

This needs to be updated!!!!!

Can we please move on? There's lots of breaking news out there!!!

posted on May, 9 2006 @ 04:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by AgentSmith
Feel free to direct me to this post when I act a hypocrite...

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Just messing with you.

posted on May, 9 2006 @ 04:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid
Why do we feel a need to BEAT anyone?

That's my one ATS pet peeve.

This a discussion board, which happens to have a debate forum for those that are so inclined.

I think far too many people have difficulty with that concept and their ego takes over.

posted on May, 9 2006 @ 07:36 PM
link   

Perhaps I need to venture out of the Secret Society Forum now and then.

Yeah you should. Try the Alien and UFO forum. It's frustrating, infuriating and disappointing, yet I cannot look away.

posted on May, 9 2006 @ 07:39 PM
link   
I hope this wasn't sparked by all the free masonry stuff...people can only speak for themselves, if I was a lower level part of an organization, why would I assume I know everything about it? all that IS a worthwhile conspiracy theory, but I do agree about the ignorance..look nowhere else but my sig

the worst I find is a lot of stuff like what's going on with middle east...agenda agenda agenda

posted on May, 9 2006 @ 08:32 PM
link   
I think too that people who are coming off the chatting circuit where the stupider the post the better you fit in might have some bearing on the matter as well. Not only that but one's work background might have something to do with it. Some of us don't work in an office around ladys where there is a strict language policy in place. In other words people who have worked in a Bank or a hospital are going to talk different than someone who works with people who just got out of jail for killing someone in the hood or like the guy who killed someone for drinking his last swallow of liquor I had the mispleasure of working with for a while. Construction attracts all the lowlys for some reason. And its extremely difficult not to be sucked into all the garbage talk. Out there its normal all day every day talk.

posted on May, 9 2006 @ 08:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by invisibleplane
I hope this wasn't sparked by all the free masonry stuff...people can only speak for themselves, if I was a lower level part of an organization, why would I assume I know everything about it? all that IS a worthwhile conspiracy theory...

I agree that there are some very worthwhile conspiracy theories relating to Freemasonry and I enjoy reading about them!

What I dont enjoy is someone posting a news link about two children being MOlested by people who were members of a masonic lodge and saying "See I told you all Freemasons were child molesting satanists!"

Its disrespectful to the members of the site that are masons, its disrespectful to the child in the story (imagine using the suffering of a child to further your own agenda??) and it has nothing to do with conspiracy!

posted on May, 9 2006 @ 08:52 PM
link   
All I have to say is welcome to the party. Masons on this site now join the ranks of immigrants, muslims, zionists, government agencies, religion, large corporations, poor/unemployed citizens and convicted felons as a group who's ideals and beliefs will always be attacked because of the actions of a few who do not represent their organization, and most likely do not even share the beliefs.

These kinds of threads are not the only ones I think are becoming detrimental to the site. silly things like "If Us invades Iran would Iran try to overthrow Pakistan for their nukes" is frankly insulting and offensive to the intelligence and integrity of not only the afformentioned parties, but to serious discussion as well.

It will not stop though, I honestly believe the founders of the site have just tried to increas traffic so much so they can continue to reap advertising revenue. I simply tried to stop replying, and even reading any threads with rediculous subject lines.

posted on May, 9 2006 @ 09:01 PM
link   
Here's why nobody should put nobody down on ATS and direct their efforts to enlightened debate instead of character attacks (I myself am guilty of pettiness):

"The internet is like the special Olympics, nobody cares if you win, and even if you do your still retarded."

-Anonymous

posted on May, 9 2006 @ 09:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gemwolf
I had a recent, similar "rant" about the now-it-all's. But I must say that if the irritation is about a certain group being picked on, then it may not be that valid complaint. All groups get picked on. Ask any Christian, democrat, reptilian-believer, et al.

[...]

And stop being a know-it-all...

Ha! Hey Gemwolf, I really liked that "know-it-all" thread but I felt that it would be hubris to include myself as a know-it-all. Funny how know-it-all acronyms to KIA, eh? Anyway, I love knowitalls! The thing a knowitall wants more than anything is to find another knowitall, you know? When I was a kid, I was surrounded by morons. Nobody who was willing to read forbidden books and ask hard questions. So many people in this world are sleepwalking.

That's what makes me love ATS: The knowitalls. (I mean that in a good way, not the bad way you were describing in your thread). ...I learn so much from the moments when asala, Byrd, FredT --Heck ANY mod chimes in and sets the record straight. Really, for my money, it's the big brains at ATS that make it so valuable. There is high intellectual content here. Just don't look for it in MY posts.
Frankly, I like everyone at ATS. Well, except that one guy.

But I do see your point. When I joined ATS, I waded in and began saying what I thought, but there are those members for whom simply POSTING is a real challenge. The problem is that ATS is like a room of a thousand knives. Whatever you post here is going to be shredded if it's not thought through, and newer members have to know this. That's why it's important to get your facts straight before posting, or to post with an "I'm not sure" type tone, so that the knives do not shred one's ego as well as ones ideas. Also, I've never placed anyone on ignore. I have no desire to tailor this place to my liking. I prefer it raw and idiotic.

I guess since I have dumped my thoughts and personal data onto ATS, ATS becomes something I am loyal to, and those members who come here to ensure that their holy group is properly defended, well they tend to annoy me. Why can't they just share their "great knowledge" with the world. They have a righteousness about the hiding of information and releasing it only to "higher levels" but that type of thinking CREATES ignorance IMO.

Honestly, I should stay away from that forum, but when Bonesman and Masons control much of this nutty world, what's a person to do? Secret societies are always going to be attacked by us "masses" or whatever term such societies use for the non-initiates.

Anyway, one thing I do know, is that ATS needs more rituals.

[edit on 9-5-2006 by smallpeeps]

posted on May, 9 2006 @ 09:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ezekiel
Thanks SourGrapes and Eden - good to know Im not just being a cranky old bastard =)

[edit on 9-5-2006 by Ezekiel]
\

Oh, not at all man. I'm glad were getting more people like you who dont buy that garbage. I too havent been here all that long, but anyhow, welcome and I will look forward to having intelligent level-headed conversations.

But just to add this one thing, it is a conspiracy site, and you have to expect a little of that kind of stuff. If its within reason, I will entertain the idea. But just because its within reason doesnt make it true, as there are probably quite a few past incidents of false posting of information and news by some immature members. Its gonna happen, its the internet.

posted on May, 9 2006 @ 10:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by ludaChris

Originally posted by Ezekiel
Thanks SourGrapes and Eden - good to know Im not just being a cranky old bastard =)

[edit on 9-5-2006 by Ezekiel]
\
I too havent been here all that long, but anyhow, welcome and I will look forward to having intelligent level-headed conversations.

hehe thanks mate - however I have been hanging around (not always posting) since 2002.....

posted on May, 9 2006 @ 10:27 PM
link   
DYepes, why is it that there always seems to be someone who thinks thatit is the staff of ATS who is always responsible for things like trying to increase revenue, or build up membership, or even the occasional create a conspiracy? I ask because I notice that you mentioned increasing revenue. I mean come on, it does take time, effort and money to run a place such as ATS, so what if revenue just happens to come in, after all are you or anyone else who feels this way benefiting by coming to the site, does it cost you anything to join or any mney coming out of your pocket? I didn't think so, so why not just kick back pop a cold one and enjoy the people and the atmosphere that has been made avaiable for you, free of charge. Thats one thing Ive been noticing lately about ATS, the members who are seemingly unappreciative of what has been made available to them.

posted on May, 9 2006 @ 10:33 PM
link   
I think it's just the overall result of the site's owners wanting it to be as popular as possible.

It's like having a nice new sports car - everyone wants to drive it - or like being a film star - everyone wants a little piece of you. It comes with the territory and it's up to intelligent, level-headed folks to be more active and aware when it comes to the nutjobs.

posted on May, 9 2006 @ 10:44 PM
link   
Is not such thing as Ignorant people.

Just a littler bit Misguided and Miss informed ones.

These Boards offer a way to express opinions, views and very insightful information.

But sometimes we need to be careful when posts base on opinions border on personal insults.

That is when good reliable information is needed to bring light to the poor misinformed.

posted on May, 9 2006 @ 10:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by DYepes
It will not stop though, I honestly believe the founders of the site have just tried to increas traffic so much so they can continue to reap advertising revenue. I simply tried to stop replying, and even reading any threads with rediculous subject lines.

Have you actually thought about what you wrote here?

Forgiving the fact your are completely wrong and frankly, insulting, let's look at the utter lack of logic in that statement...

Your insinuation is that we have completely thrown out the very reason our site has grown (quality content in a CIVIL environment) in favor of some nonsensical business model that indicates pure drek attracts people and increases revenue.

Where does that work in this galaxy?!

Your assumption/assertion is 180 degrees out from reality. You honestly believe that nearly two million people a month come here because we have abandoned logic and quality and allow the inane to rule the day?!

Please... People are NOT that dumb. The internet is populated by the upper half of Humanity's educated populous. Think about what it takes just to look at the internet. Literacy, a computer, a phone line and the $$ for an additional fee for internet access.

HOW could we attract more people who are capable of viewing the internet by disregarding any quality and logic?! Your assertion insinuates that my partners and I are so stupid we simply ignore all this terrible content being dumped on our site (which is NOT happening) but still hope to make money off the crap. Additionally, you insinuate the professionals who make their living off the internet are so stupid they actually pay for drivel!

Wow! You must be either; Completely inexperienced with, and dare I say, ignorant of, the realities of how hard it is to captivate an audience on the web so you can BREAK EVEN with your server costs, or so utterly ahead of us that we should be logging onto your website!

Which could it be?!

I really don't desire to be mean in this, but enough with the "money" crap already... It's embarrassing to those who know how this really works. Sites like this generate MUCH MORE work than they could ever pay for and are a labor of love.

Springer...

["Nice" Springer hat BACK ON ]

[edit on 5-9-2006 by Springer]

posted on May, 9 2006 @ 10:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Springer
I really don't desire to be mean in this, but enough with the "money" crap already... It's embarrassing to those who know how this really works. Sites like this generate MUCH MORE work than they could ever pay for and are a labor of love.

Springer...
[Nice Springer hat BACK ON ]

Go springer!

I do apologise for my thread bringing up these kind of criticisms of ATS. It was never my intention to incite the "ATS Is all about money!" crowd.

Personally I think that if you guys are able to cover your costs and turn a profit that is a good thing, because it ultimately means that you will be putting more time and effort into the site =)

posted on May, 9 2006 @ 11:58 PM
link   
Was this thread originally started targeting one side of the fence or the other?

As in people who aren't willing/afraid to question their government on 9/11 and the media. stuff like that or the other way around?

[edit on 9-5-2006 by Crazy_Mr_Crowley]

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join