It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ignorant people ruining this site

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 9 2006 @ 03:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by XphilesPhan
Just out of curiosity, why hasn't this thread move to rants?

Hmmm I cant speak for the mods but I know that the reason I started this thread was to comment on the site! Maybe not a true rant??

posted on May, 9 2006 @ 04:18 AM
link   
I actually think this should be in ATSNN, considering the liklihod if it's making primetime before I do.

Who has the most to lose?

posted on May, 9 2006 @ 05:59 AM
link   
I've been on here since late last year, so I would not really know how much all the posting quality has degraded, but I do seem to notice a fair difference in those year-review things. The posts seem to show more insight and . . . i dunno. They just seem different. But I'm not really involved in those threads where people get debunked all the time, like the Societies one and all that, where it is very easy to pay out on someone because not everything there is set in stone.

But the bigger ATS grows, the more people it will attract, and the more people it attracts, the more people there are to harass you, and make the site seem like a comparatively worse place.

posted on May, 9 2006 @ 06:36 AM
link   
Yet there are so many quality posts after two years I still can't stay on top of them. Seems a simple choice to avoid what you might not care for, while being engaged for more hours than one might want to reading away.

How can one have a public forum that's this big perfectly fit into one persons criteria anyway?

Regarding the sentiments about kids causing some of the problems, I have to say that I disagree. There are just as many suppossed adults acting like children as there are also, kids making quality posts on this site.

posted on May, 9 2006 @ 06:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by Relentless

Regarding the sentiments about kids causing some of the problems, I have to say that I disagree. There are just as many suppossed adults acting like children as there are also, kids making quality posts on this site.

I have to agree here, I think some members would be surprised at the age of some of our posters. A lot of "respected" posters turned out to be far younger than I had thought reading their posts.

And let's not forget the guy who insisted on calling everyone who disagreed with him "Son"
But the bad eggs don't last long, things could be a lot worse around here if things weren't already getting a semblence of "quality control" from the mods, IMO.

[edit on 9-5-2006 by chebob]

posted on May, 9 2006 @ 06:45 AM
link   
This thread is a blatant misuse of the BB&Q forum.
Not to mention not very nice to your fellow ATS members.
And so far I'm taking away that this gripe in a forum that is not here for gripes is because some one said something against your group and instead of you taking them to task you've made some dramatic announcement of your opinion of the board quality.

A pox on your armpit, sir.

posted on May, 9 2006 @ 07:06 AM
link   
I see it's time for the latest round of "ATS ain't what it used to be"...

Originally posted by Ezekiel
When I joined this site back in 2002 it was a much different place.

Yes it was.

Intelligent people gathered for civil discussion on a wide variety of topics.

Really? No offense to you and others that have this memory, but have you gone back to look at the posts from that era? People tend to have a fondness for the nostalgia of "what was". While there were certainly gems on ATS in the early years, the percentage of distractions was no less than it is today... there just more of everything now.

Lately however, the number of people posting ridiculous, ignorant and often offensive threads has increased to a level that has seriously ruined my enjoyment of this site.

That's unfortunate, really... and let me assure you this is indeed something staff has discussed and is discussing, and will always discuss. However... let me rant for a moment...

(I've made this rant before) If members with these types of issues/complaints diverted the time they spent lamenting the decreased quality to creating quality posts, we'd have much less of an issue wouldn't we? But I digress, and that rant does little to address your issue doesn't it?

Two-fold problem:
Part of the problem is of our own making -- (1) We work hard at making sure we are not perceived as taking "sides" on any issue, while encouraging free and open discussion of nearly any issue; and (2) People are essentially somewhat lazy, preferring to respond to a great post, rather than creating one themselves (oops, a little of my rant again).

People like our pirate friend coming on here and making very offensive comments about Freemasons and some of the truly ridiculous posts regarding people "being in contact with Alien overlords in the center of the earth" are reducing this site to little more than a regular trashy internet forum with all of the immature postings and ridiculous stories that go with it.

Again I don't think the crap-to-quality ratio is any different than it ever was, it's just easier to notice thinks like that due to our size. "Back in the day" when you joined ATS, we were little more than a dingy conspiracy cafe in a little-traveled corner of an out of the way storefront. Now, we're a massive conspiracy buffet with 2001 menu items and 100 daily specials in a gleaming high-end strip-mall with overflow parking across the street. While that small cafe may have been a better overall experience for some conspiracy-minded individuals, it does nothing to spread our topics out to people that will benefit from reading your posts.

Is it worth it?
Let me ask you a very serious question... I believe you think some of the items we discuss here on ATS are very important (as do I), and deserve exposure. Is it worth learning how to deal with these issues (and crap) in an effort to ensure nearly 2 million people a month are exposed to what we discuss? I think it is... I would venture all our staff do as well. It's a trade-off, and it's not easy... but then, nothing worthwhile is ever easy.

I sincerely hope that the moderators do some more to lift the level of discussion in some of the threads I have seen in the last few months. I am referring mostly to the offensive comments made by a few members who seem intent on starting arguments in the Secret Society board through ignorant comments regarding Freemasons.

The secret societies forum has always attracted this, and unfortunately, likely always will. There are a segment of people with terrible experiences with Freemasons, just as there are excellent Freemasons who hope to use their membership for general good.

We Are Doing Something...
But yes, there are at least two topics of discussion currently among staff to examine how to increase the overall quality of our core topics. Here are some tidbits...

Springer's Pet Project: We've been working at bringing a group who can provide first-hand experience about a serious, deep, and confirmed government cover-up from the Vietnam era that has indications of reoccurring today in regards to the Iraq war. Stay tuned.

Conspiracy Masters: This dedicated site was delayed because of the server upgrades, but will soon be back on track. Only "Conspiracy Masters" will be able to create new threads in the forum, and participation will be allowed only for members who have more than 200 posts. When we launch, we'll have the means for members to nominate other members to become a Conspiracy Master.

New Member Database: The core member database (that stores all your crap) has been completely rebuilt into a new structure specifically to accommodate new attributes for improved systems of rewarding and recognizing quality contributions. It's one thing to make a great post, it's another to make sure it gets seen.

ATS Is What You Make It

We've stayed far away from promoting causes and singular-topic-focus for one consistently clear reason, ATS is a member-driven website... it is purely what you make it. And at the same time you've made this complaint, we've been getting more private compliments for the quality of this discussion board... but those always come from new members.

You see, it's natural for experienced members to have these feelings. Usually, six months is a defining moment in any active member. It takes that long to fully absorb ATS. And after they're finished, they either grow bored because of many of your reasons (having found a familiarity with the topics), or begin to make an effort to make quality contributions.

"Something" is working correctly. We've done little more than search-engine optimize our site technology, and the demand for our topics has grown in leaps-and-bounds. Your posts (good, bad, or ugly) are attracting visitors at such a phenomenal level we're one of the most actively visited discussion boards on the Internet, with a need for monstrous technology. That kind of demand is for a reason... people want to learn more about what you're posting.

Sure, there have been and always will be poor quality posts, and we're constantly trying to promote better quality within the boundaries of how ATS is managed. But where else can you post your theories on a conspiracy that can be exposed to nearly 2 million people a month? That's a powerful tool. And that's good reason to be in the gleaming strip-mall and not the dingy corner cafe.

posted on May, 9 2006 @ 07:16 AM
link   
(nice overlord hat taken off)

That's a rather insulting comment in the general direction of new members, isn't it? Was it really a good idea to create a thread with such a title, when you're complaining about "ignorant and often offensive threads" and long for the days of "civil discussion"? Haven't you just contributed to the perceived problem you're complaining about?

I could just as easily create a rant complaining about "irritating oldtimers bitching about new members".

I'm continually amazed that people would rather spend effort complaining about "poor posts" than actually creating better posts. Lead by example. Get off the high horse and show us by example.

(nice overlord hat back on)

Sorry... I don't know what got into me.

posted on May, 9 2006 @ 07:20 AM
link   
Well many many people seem to be around the age of 15 or 18, you can tell in the terrible use of spelling and grammar. I use the Ignore function on people regularly.

posted on May, 9 2006 @ 07:22 AM
link   
As far as i'm concerned, anyone who disagrees with me is nuts and not worthy.

Seriously, it takes all kinds, and you have to develop a very thick skin sometimes. I sit here in shock most of the time, reading some of the threads and the comments.

The best way to handle it is not to pay much attention to it at all, Oh and sometimes out-ignoranting them is fun too.

I only have a real problem with stalkers- those who follow you all over ATS
then seem to know more about yourself than you do. That's real ignorant.

Love one Another, inspite of our little quirks!!!

[edit on 9-5-2006 by dgtempe]

posted on May, 9 2006 @ 07:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by SkepticOverlord
(nice overlord hat taken off)

That's a rather insulting comment in the general direction of new members, isn't it? Was it really a good idea to create a thread with such a title, when you're complaining about "ignorant and often offensive threads" and long for the days of "civil discussion"? Haven't you just contributed to the perceived problem you're complaining about?

I could just as easily create a rant complaining about "irritating oldtimers bitching about new members".

I'm continually amazed that people would rather spend effort complaining about "poor posts" than actually creating better posts. Lead by example. Get off the high horse and show us by example.

(nice overlord hat back on)

Sorry... I don't know what got into me.

It is not often I fnd myself cheering form my keyboard. But "here, here" SO. As a very long time "observer" but relative new member...........

posted on May, 9 2006 @ 07:49 AM
link   

If someone was to come on here and say "I was molested by a catholic priest - all catholics are child molesters" I would expect a lot of catholics to get their 'feelings hurt'.

Close to THAT has been done a few times here already.
This thread comes rather close to that -
www.abovetopsecret.com...

'ALL' priests are molesters ... all catholics are idiots for
putting up with it and just for being catholic .. no other
religion has this problem ... that sort of thing.

[edit on 5/9/2006 by FlyersFan]

posted on May, 9 2006 @ 07:50 AM
link   
Truth be told, I think we should all stop bickering, press the 'ignore' button a few more times, and get on with posting on one of the best damn sites on the net!!

Just appreciate that you are part of this community - or whatever - and not some ignorant yank sitting on his couch agreeing with George Walker. Sure, there are people here that may piss you off, but then again, so do your neighbors.

posted on May, 9 2006 @ 07:56 AM
link   
I joined a little over a month ago. I've only met a few people on the forum who are actually 'ruining' it.

The way they ruin it for me is when they are set upon one specific argument that cannot, and I repeat, CANNOT be argumented for (maybe a bad choice of words).

As in "God is the one and only, buddha and allah is all cr'p and doesn't exist". Then asking them how they know that. They simply quote from the bible and attacks you.

Then you tell them that there is a possibility that all the of the Gods exist... They absently block that idea out and start harrasing you... Most of the time, I come to believe they might just have misread my post :/

In the end, I tell them openly that there is no point in the discussion if they cannot accept other opinions. Then I delete the subscription in "My ATS" and never return.

I have no problem with any religion. Frankly I believe they all exist to some degrade that they correlate to one another.

Now i've pretty much babbled away for abit, and my take on this thread is: Times change, and most new members are actually pretty intelligent... As far as i've seen 90% of them are. But I usually spend my time on the paranormal so

posted on May, 9 2006 @ 07:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by watch_the_rocks
Just appreciate that you are part of this community - or whatever - and not some ignorant yank sitting on his couch agreeing with George Walker.

Ignorant yank.
Your post speaks volumes.
So to be a real part of this online community you have to not be
a conservative American because that would mean you are
an 'ignorant yank'??

Sounds like you might want a left wing echo chamber.
Or did I totally misread your comment??

Like YOU said .. I'll just use the ignore button.

[edit on 5/9/2006 by FlyersFan]

posted on May, 9 2006 @ 07:59 AM
link   
Dosen't everyone get sick of the talk of intelligent people and post? I know many very intelligent people who you could some day see winning a Nobel Prize but can not change the oil on their car. I feel that a true Wise Person learns from every post and every view even if you hate it. Like Skeptic has said (lead by example),but first you must understand the thoughts of those you wish to lead.

posted on May, 9 2006 @ 08:02 AM
link   
I agree that we should just get on with posting interesting stuff on here.

Since it seems like everybody in this thread is allowed one peeve to vent, let me quickly get over with mine: postings about how to split water into hydrogen and oxygen with little or no expense of electricity, thus creating an infinite source of free energy. I find it annoying.

Otherwise, a great board!

posted on May, 9 2006 @ 08:42 AM
link   
Thanks for your reply Skeptic - its good to get a mods perspective and I do appreciate the sentiments on Freemasons and the Secret Society forum (my favorite personally)

I still stand by my assertion that there are too many people getting away with making offensive and disrespectful comments and generalisations, however my faith has been somewhat restored by the replies to my original post.

Point taken
will change the title.

posted on May, 9 2006 @ 08:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by Valhall
And so far I'm taking away that this gripe in a forum that is not here for gripes is because some one said something against your group and instead of you taking them to task you've made some dramatic announcement of your opinion of the board quality.

A pox on your armpit, sir.

The latest incident was simply the straw that broke the camels back for me. After a long absence from the boards I have come back to see some really offensive and very ridiculous posts being made (ie. the person who claims masons blew up his toilet in an attempt to get him to join).

The worst part is not the post itself, but the people who will blindly believe anything these posters say (dangerous on any interet forum) without fully exploring the situation and approaching it with a critical mind (as we were taught in school, because you know you cant believe everything you read / see!).

It irks me to see these kind of posts encouraged, when many great posts that are well thought out by intelligent members - who i do believe are still the majority on here, you being one of them Valhall (Yes I've read your posts from time to time!) - fall by the wayside and get lost in the garbage.

Oh and please stay away from my armpits with your black magic!

posted on May, 9 2006 @ 09:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by SkepticOverlord
Lead by example.

My thoughts precisely....

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join