It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bush rhetoric and oil $$$

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 26 2006 @ 11:51 AM
link   
This is so funny in a sense.
Every time George bangs on his war drums over Iran, the price of oil goes up and George's already low ratings go even lower.

He's stuck, classic catch 22, and the whole world is laughing

(at least I am anyway)

posted on Apr, 26 2006 @ 12:14 PM
link   
Yup, they are laughing and we get to pay more at the pumps. Unfortunately, he still hast the better end of the stick imho.

posted on Apr, 26 2006 @ 12:24 PM
link   
Well, us INTELLIGENT Americans aren't laughing.

Its beginning to feel a bit hopeless.

I am overwhelmed with indifference and it is maddening.

How's the weather in the Great White North there, eh?

Its looking better every day. Just seen that Vancouver is still waaay up on the best cities list again this year... Where is South Central Michigan on that list?

posted on Apr, 26 2006 @ 01:29 PM
link   
Sigh..

You people are like a convention of the misinformed.

bigpicture.typepad.com..." target='_blank' class='tabOff'/>

posted on Apr, 26 2006 @ 01:39 PM
link   
Misinformed? So gas isn't @ 3 bucks a gallon? Mr. Bush's approval rating isn't at an all time low? (Isn't it always?)

Your little "adjusted for inflation" chart doesn't fool those of us who can see past pretty little lines and colors. Ever take a statistics class in college? Not too hard to skew stuff like that. Unfortunately they don't come with disclaimers for dumb people. Some of us were even around to remember past gasoline prices in relation to incomes and what-not soooo.....You will have to try much harder...You didnt quite get that candy coating wrapped all the way around the turd.

posted on Apr, 26 2006 @ 01:43 PM
link   
And I also just realized it doesn't span to include Uncle Sam's fumble that was Katrina, or any of the spikes due to the impending trist in Iran/Syria/Venezuela, etc...

Aside from the obvious manipulation that happens with any stats, whether from Fox, or Cnn, or some university, it leaves out a lot of pretty relevant recent history.

Try again.

posted on Apr, 26 2006 @ 01:59 PM
link   
Are you the president of the League of the Misinformed?

What that graph shows is that we are at the historically adjust peek for gas prices. While high, it's really not that bad.

Consumer cost of gasoline per mile driven has steadily dropped from the peek of 1981. Right now prices are at that adjusted peek. It wasn't the end of the world 25 years ago and it won't be now either.

Read More

[edit on 26-4-2006 by El Tiante]

posted on Apr, 26 2006 @ 02:01 PM
link   
[edit on 26-4-2006 by El Tiante]

posted on Apr, 26 2006 @ 02:28 PM
link   
Bush did this move because it's what the most important for those who vote for him, the rednecks. For the rednecks, the gas price is extremely important so if the president lower it, it will be a good president regardless of what he does.

posted on Apr, 26 2006 @ 02:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by El Tiante
Are you the president of the League of the Misinformed?

Nope, but you keep campaining for a ban with your little personal attacks and you may get elected.

What that graph shows is that we are at the historically adjust peek for gas prices. While high, it's really not that bad.

In your opinion its not bad. A lot of us take these things seriously since we seem to be running headfirst into yet another Mideast conflict.

Consumer cost of gasoline per mile driven has steadily dropped from the peek of 1981. Right now prices are at that adjusted peek. It wasn't the end of the world 25 years ago and it won't be now either.

Trying to shift our little debate in your favor eh? I never said cars aren't more efficient now. Don't change the subject. "Adjusted" is relative to the adjuster, my friend. That adjustment doesn't take into account the vast array of things that make up our economy. Just gas, and better cars. I spend my money on other things also. We are also a little more spread out. There is also many, many more of us...hence, more cars, more travel. Have any graphs for average cost of living over the past 25 years to correlate with your gas prices and fuel efficiency ratings?

A little piece of advice...Condescension doesn't win debates. It just makes you a doodyhead. Take care.

posted on Apr, 26 2006 @ 03:04 PM
link   
El Tiante - could we have a source for your graph, please? And btw, it's actually spelled 'peak'. 'Peek' (noun and verb) refers to the act of having a brief look at something.

And nice try with the adjustment for 'gas price per mile'. The oil companies are posting record profits, though. They seem happy.

posted on Apr, 26 2006 @ 03:44 PM
link   
LOL! I honestly have nothing to contribute to this conversation, I just wanted to let DaFunk13 know that he gets a way above for making me laugh myself to tears with that last post! Anyway, sorry for getting off-topic.

posted on Apr, 26 2006 @ 04:08 PM
link   
Personally, I'd like to see which Oil companies are "Charter Members of The League of the Misinformed".

Anybody THAT 'Misinformed' enough to fool people into thinking they are innocent and STILL post a 36 BILLION Profit makes me want to be just as misinformed as I am making my way to the bank...

posted on Apr, 26 2006 @ 04:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by rich23
El Tiante - could we have a source for your graph, please? And btw, it's actually spelled 'peak'. 'Peek' (noun and verb) refers to the act of having a brief look at something.

And nice try with the adjustment for 'gas price per mile'. The oil companies are posting record profits, though. They seem happy.

The are only "record" profits in unadjusted dollars. Oil company margins are less than 10%. If you don't what that means, don't reply.

posted on Apr, 26 2006 @ 04:33 PM
link   
Come now Rich. I am sure he knows how to spell "peak" in that context. Mommy always said that two wrongs don't make a right. Lets leave the personal attacks to the desperate. That, and well...I'm a crappy speller too.

And for the companies posting record profits...that was my trump card for his next point. Phooey.

As an addition, the first quarter profits for #1 (exxon/mobile, no?) equated to about $2,500 per minute.

Got a graph for that mang?

And Rizla...you gotta laugh to keep from crying...

posted on Apr, 26 2006 @ 04:35 PM
link   
Sorry DaFunk, didn't mean to steal your Thunder there.

posted on Apr, 26 2006 @ 04:37 PM
link   
"If you don't know what that means, don't reply".

What a charming way to deny ignorance.

Record profits are record profits. The margin may be small compared to some other businesses but the volume of trade makes a big difference.

... and can we see that source of that graph, please?

posted on Apr, 26 2006 @ 05:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Vitchilo
Bush did this move because it's what the most important for those who vote for him, the rednecks. For the rednecks, the gas price is extremely important so if the president lower it, it will be a good president regardless of what he does.

Why do you have to ASSume that only rednecks voted for the man, if I recall he won Ohio, Indiana, Missouri, Iowa all above the Mason Dixon line. Nevada, New Mexico, and Arizona out west. So whats your point? When you assume you make an ass out of you not me.

posted on Apr, 27 2006 @ 07:21 AM
link   
No highjakk kids. I appreciate what you are doing Luda, but its not worth the effort. You are smarter than that.

Starlord...no thunder stole. That was my next point, not my final. I can do this all day. This guy might as well argue the sky isn't blue.

RECORD profits are RECORD no matter how many angles you try to put on them to justify. The American people are being screwed by the very same dog-eat-dog capitalism we cherish. Tiante is right. A lot of this (probably half of our problem) is supply and demand. I agreed with him until he started posting graphs created to impress freshman economics students to show he we weren't indeed taking it with no KY. I don't mind him disagreeing. I just don't like the attitude he has taken.

We can debate like grownups here can't we kids? If Tiante is pro-screw the people in favor of profits, thats cool. I won't hate. Thats capitalism. We pay it, they charge it. Its not rocket science. I just think it is time somebody said Uncle, and we climbed out of this hole we are digging. People like Tiante are obviously not in this hole. I assume he either makes really good money, or he just doesn't drive too far everyday. Everyone on a fixed income is forced to either work another job or to completely change their lifestyle. All so some rich guys can get richer? I don't agree...and I do it without being a complete arse.

I would love to continue this Tiante, but please, pretty please be nice. We can both learn something here I am sure. Lets try to do it while denying ignorance.

posted on Apr, 27 2006 @ 07:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by DaFunk13
No highjakk kids. I appreciate what you are doing Luda, but its not worth the effort. You are smarter than that.

Yeah youre right I was getting off topic sorry. Ill remember to stay on it. I get sucked in sometimes though Ive been better about not making a habit of it lately. Thanks for reminding me.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join