It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New AboveTopSecret.com Image Hotlinking Policy (updated again)

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 22 2006 @ 12:56 PM
link   

New Forum Image Linking Policy

Effective immediately, AboveTopSecret.com is handling inline images differently, the standard BBcode [img] [/img] tags are now generating image links.

Due to our massive size and traffic levels, inline image hotlinking of images hosted on lesser websites can end up causing bandwidth issues for the host site. Generally, this is a "grey area" in the world of discussion boards as the BBcode for inline images is pretty much standardized across tens of thousands of sites. But once a board achieves our size, we need to be mindful of the bandwidth strain we might cause other websites, and strive to be good Internet citizens.

Generally, the new rule is simple:

You host it: if you have made arrangements to host the image either through a hosting service, your own website, or your ATS member upload space, you can visually display the image in your post if you have the rights to use the image(s).

A news service hosts it: If the image is owned by a news service, you can display it in a post by using a new tag.

All other images included in posts will now appear as an "external image" link.

The new rules are applied as follows...

LEGACY SUPPORT -- The Standard BBcode Image Tag: [img](image url)[/img]
This will generate a large-text "external image" link to the source image if the host site is not in our list of enabled hosts. Use this tag whenever you are in doubt. Enabled host sites currently include: uploads.abovetopsecret.com, photobucket, imageshack, and tinypic. If you favor an alternate free image hosting service, please send me an example URL of an image you have hosted there.

NEWS IMAGERY -- A New BBcode News Image Tag: [im](image url)[/im]
This displays the image inline, as well as indicates the source URL of the image. Use this tag for images from accredited news websites only as their sourcing rules generally allow this type of usage. Do not use tag for any other images.

MEMBER HOSTED -- A New ATS Member BBcode Image Tag: [ats](image url)[/ats]
This displays the image inline in the same way the old tag used to. Use this tag only for images for which you have arranged hosting by uploading it to your member upload center, or through any other hosting means you have arranged. Even if your host is in the list of enabled hosts for the [img] [/img] tag, we prefer that you use the [ats] [/ats] tag for inline images from this point forward.

Examples of these new tag policies are:

[img] [/img]

[im] [/im]

[ats] [/ats]

We will be enforcing these new image hotlinking rules aggressively. Any member discovered using the [ats] tag for images they have not arranged to host will be subject to a brief or permanent posting ban depending on the severity of the infraction.

NOTICE: This new system is not intended to circumvent obtaining permission to integrate the intellectual property of others into your posts without their permission. In fact, the new "external link" tag is intended to better preserve the property rights of the original owner of the images that have been hotlinked in board posts. This system is in place to better support our recognition of image ownership, while offering members the means to hotlink inline images for which they have permission to post.

WARNING: INCLUDING IMAGES IN YOUR POSTS FOR WHICH YOU HAVE NO RIGHTS MAY RESULT IN WARNINGS AND/OR ACCOUNT TERMINATION.[/B]

[edit on 22-4-2006 by SkepticOverlord]

posted on Apr, 22 2006 @ 01:03 PM
link   
Quick question...

Are the "ATS Participant - Artist" images, etc, that are in one's signature allowed to have the [ ats][/ats ] tags?

Sorry if this is a stupid question... me be tired.

[edit on 22-4-2006 by xeroxed88]

posted on Apr, 22 2006 @ 01:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by xeroxed88
Are the "ATS Participant - Artist" images, etc, that are in one's signature allowed to have the [ ats][/ats ] tags?

Only if you have arranged for hosting of the image as described above.

posted on Apr, 22 2006 @ 01:08 PM
link   
Now if only we had some way of uploading an image directly to ATS while making a reply or a thread, without going to the memCENTER.

Good common sense policy change btw.

Dae

posted on Apr, 22 2006 @ 01:15 PM
link   
What about using a site like this?

UploadIt.org offers an online storage solution with over 150,000 users and 700,000 images uploaded. It allows users without webspace of their own to upload images and files to share with others. These uploads can be linked to from anywhere - forums, chat rooms, message boards, eBay, blogs, and even your own website.

Whats going to happen to old posts that rely on images... like my thread about starbucks... its kinda too late to fix it up too, looks rubbish without all the images

posted on Apr, 22 2006 @ 01:15 PM
link   
The ATS server should feel more relaxed now. = faster load times.

It does'nt have to load four years worth of pix

posted on Apr, 22 2006 @ 01:16 PM
link   
Still too much work.
I want to be able to browse my desktop while authoring a thread.

posted on Apr, 22 2006 @ 01:18 PM
link   
and photobucket is set up to use the img tags
most of my images are there. more typing.....

posted on Apr, 22 2006 @ 01:19 PM
link   
This change seems to have given me a negative upload space available. I now have -591K upload space.

[edit on 22-4-2006 by Benevolent Heretic]

posted on Apr, 22 2006 @ 01:21 PM
link   
All images i present i have arranged for hosting of the image as described above, yet now images have been removed from my posts, just a tad draconian no?

posted on Apr, 22 2006 @ 01:23 PM
link   
grrrrr S.O, you just broke all the "ATS Participant-Writer" images everyone has put into their signatures.

I'm confused by what you meant when you said "Only if you have arranged for hosting of the image as described above."....
considering that the image is hosted in a staff member's image directory on ATS, wouldn't it automagically be an [ ATS] style image, regardless of whether or not we've begged (insert respective mods here) to use the tags?

EDIT: Sister Benevolent Heretic: The avatars are set through a direct URL to images hosted at the ATS member upload center, and not by using BBCode, therefore there is no way to manipulate the system of avatars and avatar backgrounds.
Basically, ATS already hosts our avatars, so they don't need to worry about that.

EDIT2: However, having no "ATS Participant" images in my profile, makes me feel naked.

[edit on 22/4/2006 by nrky]

posted on Apr, 22 2006 @ 01:27 PM
link   
....................cool ,np..................................

posted on Apr, 22 2006 @ 01:28 PM
link   
Care to explain how linking to a site which contains the image bogs down ATS?
You don't say that but you seem to imply such.

If i click on a thread that contains links to images on other sites it is my bandwidth that is used retrieving those images not ATS's.

posted on Apr, 22 2006 @ 01:36 PM
link   
I use a lot of pictures in my posts and I find this new development as a crushing blow against posts I've made in the past.
Images that I've even taken myself are now linked and my posts look like crap.

I'll read and re-read SkepticOverlord's post to try to understand it, but I find this very upsetting.

posted on Apr, 22 2006 @ 01:39 PM
link   
anx, it's actually a little better this way.

less pix = faster performance!

posted on Apr, 22 2006 @ 01:39 PM
link   
anxietydisorder:

I understand where you are coming from.... I think it detracts significantly from the board....I would have preferred this to have been done on a prospective basis if possible...or at least enable us to correct the improper tags in old posts.

[edit on 22-4-2006 by loam]

posted on Apr, 22 2006 @ 01:40 PM
link   
This is just another part of the debunkers charter, they never offer any real evidence so this will not effect them as much.

posted on Apr, 22 2006 @ 01:42 PM
link   
Use the links *pun intended*

Mechanic 32.

posted on Apr, 22 2006 @ 01:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by The Links
Care to explain how linking to a site which contains the image bogs down ATS?
You don't say that but you seem to imply such.

If i click on a thread that contains links to images on other sites it is my bandwidth that is used retrieving those images not ATS's.

I may have misinterpreted you, so I apologise if this answer isn't what you meant.

Most webhosting providers have a bandwidth limit on their available packages. So in the case where a member may be using an image (whether it be for a supporting image in a post, an image in their signature, or an image as their avatar) hosted on a website, every time it loads on ATS for a guest or member, that website's bandwidth usage in increasing.

In the instance where the website may simply be a person's personal site with a low bandwidth limit, ATS is causing their limit to be reached prematurely than would normally be the case.

As SkepticOverlord stated, this can be a big problem which is generally unforeseen by many. Out of Internet-politeness and common courtesy, this is a reason the new Image Hotlinking Policy has been created.

posted on Apr, 22 2006 @ 01:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mechanic 32
anx, it's actually a little better this way.

less pix = faster performance!

Yeh if you are only interested in skimming over reach post.

Now to view what has been presented by the poster we must click on every link they present, then close the link at some stage, there is nothing fast about that.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join