It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New AboveTopSecret.com Image Hotlinking Policy (updated again)

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 22 2006 @ 03:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by SimonGray
Us ATS staff aren't evil,

Oh, but your avatar begs to differ!

I like this move. Especially since we'll have a chance to edit old posts and bring the important pictures back.

And worst case scenario, we'll have to click to see a picture. Oh, my finger!

posted on Apr, 22 2006 @ 04:34 PM
link   
i canr believe you missed the threads simon.
www.abovetopsecret.com...
for example

i,m not picking on mehran specifically as there were threads

pics of us navy
pics of us forces
pics of british forces
pics of iranian army etc
etc etc etc

not exactly those titles but they just consisted of certain members 'showing off' pics and saying 'we,d win because blah blah we have this weapon n that weapon...yawwwwwwwn' in the upcoming conflict...

and YES i understand pride in your countries resources before anyone flames me but it was just getting sooooooo flippin boring

btw good for dgtempe for cuba,s. lol. wow i think i,m falling for her with all these compliments i,m giving

anyway back on topic. i,m trying this as an example... i just set up an imageshack account and i,m testing a link to see
a if it is allowed and
b if it works.. please anyone let me know

img198.imageshack.us...

i want to send it as part of another thread thnks

posted on Apr, 22 2006 @ 04:55 PM
link   
For imageshack images you should use the opening and closing [ats] tag. For example...

This without spaces:
[ats ]http://img198.imageshack.us/img198/6865/bridge5qq6up.jpg[/ats ]

Will produce this:

Just as a general FIY: If you are interested in having your own blog/journal, photo album, and a decent amount of free web space head over to the My Opera Community and get an account. Download the Opera web browser and try it out too, it's a great browser.

posted on Apr, 22 2006 @ 04:58 PM
link   
how about updating the button on images.

posted on Apr, 22 2006 @ 05:05 PM
link   
heyyyy cool thanks mega. is that a space after the s on ats?
i,m guessing this is acceptable/legal to the board then??
??

posted on Apr, 22 2006 @ 05:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
Especially since we'll have a chance to edit old posts and bring the important pictures back.

Hello, oh benevelently heretical one,

Do you understand this to mean that some of our old posts will be "fixable" so that the pictures and signatures will automatically appear with the post?

'Cause I've been tagging like crazy to get points for increasing my upload, and all of the stuff I have posted is my own property and hosted on the ATS site via member uploads (with the exception of my avatar, whose basic image is in the public domain).

Please, show compassion and benevolence in your response, as I am of the class of those considered technologically challenged.

Others would consider me challenged in other ways as well, but let us speak no more of that...

posted on Apr, 22 2006 @ 05:13 PM
link   
I kind of like the idea myself, Yet I need clarification on Number one from SkepticOverlord

1. I have my own website and host my own pics so it is my bandwidth that I am paying for, which means I can use the ATS tags Right/Wrong?

SO correct me if I am wrong on the above OK? Just want to make sure!

2. We no longer have too look at the rediculous and sometimes gross pictures, cartoons by a select few that support insurgents in Iraq and/or only purpose in life is too bash Americans/British. :shk: That alone gives me great satisfaction on this move.

[edit on 4/22/2006 by shots]

posted on Apr, 22 2006 @ 05:17 PM
link   
o heck. i posted it like you said mega on here
www.abovetopsecret.com...

but it didnt turn out.. what did i do wrong?

its ok "without spaces" duhhhh!!! you even told me.. told you i was a net thicky
thnks again

[edit on 22-4-2006 by AGENT_T]

posted on Apr, 22 2006 @ 05:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by apocalypticon
Hello, oh benevelently heretical one,

I love it when you talk like that!

Do you understand this to mean that some of our old posts will be "fixable" so that the pictures and signatures will automatically appear with the post?

Yes. I understand that after a U2U from the Admin to the board members about this change, we will suddenly see Edit buttons on all of our own posts for a week. During that week, we will have the option to go into our posts of any age and change the 'img's to 'ats's, therefore bringing the pictures we have uploaded on ATS (or any other valid image hosting site) back to life.

The signatures are fixable now. Just edit your profile and if the image is from ATS or other valid hosting site change the 'imgs' to 'ats's. That's what I did and my peace sign popped right back.

Others would consider me challenged in other ways as well, but let us speak no more of that...

I won't mention it again.

[edit on 22-4-2006 by Benevolent Heretic]

[edit on 22-4-2006 by Benevolent Heretic]

posted on Apr, 22 2006 @ 06:18 PM
link   
Update...

Anything you uploaded to your upload space on ATS is not automatically replaced with an "external link" text link.

Anything off-site is automatically altered when using the standard BBcode img tag.

posted on Apr, 22 2006 @ 06:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by SkepticOverlord
Update...

Anything you uploaded to your upload space on ATS is not automatically replaced with an "external link" text link.

You rock far more than I had ever imagined. Thanks for rocking so completely.

SMR

posted on Apr, 22 2006 @ 06:38 PM
link   
Im sorta confused as to why this is only happening to some images?
I have seen some images that did not get changed ( you can still see them ) and they are linked from outside sources just like the newly LINK images.
How did they not get changed to links?

I do feel though that this has messed up some threads in a big way and hope links get changed.Presentation is a big plus here when contributing.Also, someone said it was no big deal to just click a button.Wel I agree, but when I am reading about something and have to take a detour rather than look at and read at the same time....well I think you see what I mean.

I see reasons why this may have needed to be done, but I feel many members will just make work for MODS harder in that they will want the image to SHOW IN the thread, so 'cheat' and not care to follow the new image rule.
If someone wants to grab someones attention with an image, if the rule is that they have to make it a link, I feel that they will not and post it the old way.

It does help those with smaller connections that they wont be loading images forever, but moving away from the story to see the image that goes with it may be an issue for many.I could be wrong though.

posted on Apr, 22 2006 @ 06:41 PM
link   
Could you pleas change it back

The aircraft quiz thread got totally screwed up because of this

posted on Apr, 22 2006 @ 07:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by SMR
Im sorta confused as to why this is only happening to some images?
I have seen some images that did not get changed ( you can still see them ) and they are linked from outside sources just like the newly LINK images.
How did they not get changed to links?

Images that are linked from outside sources, but which also are allowed to be hotlinked will show as normal using the [ATS] tag.

See below quote from SkepticOverlord's original post for clarification:

Originally posted by SkepticOverlord

A New ATS Member BBcode Image Tag:

[ats](image url)[/ats]
This displays the image inline in the same way the old tag used ot. Use this tag only for images for which you have the right to display and are hosting either by uploading it to your member upload center, or through any other hosting means you have arranged.

posted on Apr, 22 2006 @ 07:15 PM
link   
Okay thanx. Btw nice new avitar

posted on Apr, 22 2006 @ 07:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by TristanBW9456
Could you pleas change it back

The aircraft quiz thread got totally screwed up because of this

they're not going to change it back and they aren't going to let you re-edit your posts

posted on Apr, 22 2006 @ 07:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by bigx01
...they aren't going to let you re-edit your posts

Yes, they are.

SkepticOverlord wrote:
I'll be sending out a U2U announcing this new issue, and we'll have a 7 day grace period where the restriction on post editting will be lifted so that members can review their older posts and modify the tags.

posted on Apr, 22 2006 @ 08:14 PM
link   
Our Great and Red-Spandexed Leader, SkepticOverlord, has fixed the coding such that the [img][/img] tags now work for images hosted with Imageshack, Photobucket, and Tinypic. Allowance for more hosting sites perhaps to come. Any images hosted on these sites, in past and future posts, will now display as normal.

Imageshack:

tinypic.com:

photobucket:

Let's hear it for the big guy.

[edit on 2006-4-22 by wecomeinpeace]

posted on Apr, 22 2006 @ 08:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by wecomeinpeace
Our Great and Red-Spandexed Leader, SkepticOverlord, has fixed the coding such that the [img][/img] tags now work for images hosted with Imageshack, Photobucket, and Tinypic. Allowance for more hosting sites perhaps to come. Any images hosted on these sites, in past and future posts, will now display as normal.

Whew! I'm glad I read this thread again! All the pics were gone, when I went to sleep.

When I woke up, they were back!

I thought I was either going crazy, or was visited by the 'picture fairy'!

Good Job, SO! But does'nt that put ATS back to where it started, before all this [img [im [ats business??

[edit on 4/22/2006 by Mechanic 32]

posted on Apr, 22 2006 @ 08:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mechanic 32
Good Job, SO! But does'nt that put ATS back to where it started, before all this [img [im [ats business??

Using the [img][/img] tags will still convert to an "external image" text link if the image is not hosted by ATS or one of the hosting sites mentioned above. However, SO says:

...even if your host is in the list of enabled hosts for the [img] [/img] tag, we prefer that you use the [ats] [/ats] tag for inline images from this point forward.

[im][/im] tags should only be used for images hosted by accredited news websites.

[edit on 2006-4-22 by wecomeinpeace]

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join