It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

MALE CONTRACEPTIVE JAB

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 6 2003 @ 01:05 PM
link   
hey at last!! its now up to the guys to

i think this is a great idea, It gives both men and women the choice of controll.

guys and girls whats your views on this
Scientists have developed what is believed to be the first 100% successful male contraceptive jab.

A year-long study of 55 men in Australia appears to have finally cracked the secret of switching off sperm production.

It resulted in no pregnancies and showed the treatment had no apparent side-effects.

The men received hormone treatment containing a combination of the male hormone testosterone and progestin, used in female contraceptive pills.

The treatment was given by injection and implants under the skin.

www.sky.com...

posted on Oct, 6 2003 @ 01:09 PM
link   
i would think a vacectomy is safer...but then again this could be the new thing... if this catches on id expect an increase in std's though..

posted on Oct, 6 2003 @ 01:10 PM
link   
Perhaps we should take a poll to see which guys would get it done, i wouldn't, besides it does look rather gruesome from the footage i saw today.

posted on Oct, 6 2003 @ 01:12 PM
link   
Well, I would say cool to this. I personally would not use it, but, it would be cool I guess that now men have a 100% effective choice. The only concern I woul have is, when they decide to have kids, is this going to keep them from being able to later in life??????

To me, that is a major side effect, and this article did not explain this. All is said was "It switches sperm off". How do you turn them "back on"?

posted on Oct, 6 2003 @ 01:33 PM
link   
While I'm glad to see the contraceptive battle turn the other way, I would have a couple concerns...first and most alarming is IAP's question. Will they just turn back on? Also, I read reports that Norplant's (hormone implant for women) effectiveness isn't all that great. And then what about STD's...the bachelor would still have resort to latex..

posted on Oct, 6 2003 @ 01:37 PM
link   
Well I find abstinance the best form of birth control. Granted I can't find a woman that wants to sleep with me, and my standards have not dropped to wanting to sleep with anything walking and breathing.

posted on Oct, 6 2003 @ 01:55 PM
link   
I think it's great that something besides a condom or the infamous pull and pray exists now for men, but it's something I probably won't go for.

posted on Oct, 6 2003 @ 02:06 PM
link   
My fiance' gets a shot like once in a while... That seems to work fine for both of us....(certainly works for me...
)

Thing is, female contraceptives have been around longer, and are more documetned and researched, so that when the time comes, I know I'm not shootin' blanks, and she's got eggies...

posted on Oct, 6 2003 @ 02:14 PM
link   
I'm happy for you, Gazrok.

posted on Oct, 6 2003 @ 04:22 PM
link   
Well, Id be all for this, but for the fact it is an implant rather than a pill or injection.

Seems anything can be utilised in an implant now, eh? How convenient. No thanks, I'll stick with condoms just in case those Contraceptive Implants have hidden tracking devices. You can't be too careful anymore can you

posted on Oct, 6 2003 @ 04:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gazrok
female contraceptives have been around longer, and are more documetned and researched,

I agree, but its because women were good about taking them. I dont trust a man to take a pill..they can still haul ass if the female gets preggers.

posted on Oct, 6 2003 @ 04:38 PM
link   
It's interesting to me to hear the men who are happy that it exists...but they woudn't use it. Too many unknowns. Perfectly happy for the woman to suck down birth control. Do you guys ever ask your partner whether she's sure birth control is safe? Do you ever fear she wont' be able to get pregnant when the time comes? Just seeing if there's a double standard.

posted on Oct, 6 2003 @ 04:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Losonczy
Do you guys ever ask your partner whether she's sure birth control is safe? Do you ever fear she wont' be able to get pregnant when the time comes? Just seeing if there's a double standard.

YEs, I often ask and she's fine. Yes, I get worried, and we've had some scares, but thats life. Whats your point? Men are usually willing to use any type of contraception, it's not the MAle populations fault we don't have as much choice or availability. If all goes well and it really is "that" good, I'm sure many men will use it. Except for those with partners who say "I wouldn't trust him".......how's that for sexist? Saying that males can't be trusted to do a duty? Hmmm

posted on Oct, 6 2003 @ 05:08 PM
link   
Birth control chemicals period are bad news. for women or men.

There is a high number of infertilitiy these days, many researchers are beginning to discover that birth control pills have alot worse long term problems than they thought. with all the women taking birth control these days, its no wonder so many develop fertility problems. long ago, women were having babies till they died, and this often men poppin em out until thier late fourties with no problems. now women in thier thirties suddenly find themselves hard pressed to produce kids.
i dont think male birth control would be a good idea, with a discovery in a vast dropping of the sperm count in western males over the past 50 years. a vasectomy would be better.

chemical birth control is not the way to go, a better idea is the good old rubber, which is temprary, no long term side efefcts, and protects against vd.

top topics

join