It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Iraq collapsing into civil war

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 23 2006 @ 05:49 PM
link   
Death a plenty , as Sunnis and Shi'ites start to kill each other in earnest.
So far todays death toll stands at 130 , but with most of the mosques targeted being Sunni, tommorrow is yet another day, and although MANY are calling for a `cool` down, the new Iraqi army is on its highest alert.

uk.news.yahoo.com
BAGHDAD (Reuters) - Sectarian violence killed more than 130 people across Iraq and left dozens of mosques damaged or in ruins as the United States appealed on Thursday to Sunnis and Shi'ites to step back from the brink of civil war.

A day after a suspected al Qaeda bombing devastated one of the holiest Shi'ite shrines and sparked the two days of revenge attacks, President George W. Bush stepped

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

And so it begins; allied forces will be caught in middle of this bloodbath - 2 hated sects are ready to go all hell for leather against each other - and the troops will be hard pushed to stop it. It is unfortunately a numbers game - millions vs thousands.

I hope our troops don`t get slaughtered when this all goes to hell in a hand basket.

Related News Links:
news.bbc.co.uk

[edit on 24-2-2006 by Thomas Crowne]

posted on Feb, 23 2006 @ 06:02 PM
link   
Easy, pull out before it happens. If they want to knock ten shades of you-know-what out of each other then let them get on with it.

These people had a second chance. They wasted it. I can't be bothered anymore with the place, if they want to run their country into the ground they can knock themselves out.

posted on Feb, 23 2006 @ 06:07 PM
link   
There will be those who will take me to task for saying this but too bad, we didn't liberate Iraq, we destroyed it and we will be seeing the results of that act of for the next few decades to come.

posted on Feb, 23 2006 @ 06:15 PM
link   
this calls for a well done to bush and pals

not only did bush invade a country based on one of his wet dreams
now the country is going into a civil war which could claim the lives of thousends of people.

another well done to the americans and their TAX money at work

posted on Feb, 23 2006 @ 06:17 PM
link   
the sad part of it all, as much as people would like to deny it, if saddam was in power this simply wouldnt have happened. saddam is too ruthless to let this happen, anyone that tried to start something would just be killed.

question is would the mosque even have been blown up in the first place, it wouldnt have been such a terrorist target if we were there occupying it and "liberating" it tryin to form a new government there.

posted on Feb, 23 2006 @ 06:49 PM
link   
Sadly this thread is going to be a long lasting one as the violence escalates and the coalition troops are caught in the middle. This sectarian violence could easily turn into an anti American focus even more so than it already is.

Warnings were given the administration about the tribal make up of Iraq, but the chicken hawks myopically believed that a western style democracy was possible. They will not suffer but the men and women caught in the cross fire will. Both our troops and Iraqi citizens.

This was never a black and white issue that it was portrayed, with bad guys and killers against us. This was preventable but ideology and arrogance prevailed over common sense.

posted on Feb, 23 2006 @ 07:09 PM
link   
Is there any way they could just destroy each other over this so it will end sooner? Is that the general opinion, that the civil war will destroy everyone in the country, because I don't see a down side to this, they will just do it in 25 years over something different anyway its there people's way.

posted on Feb, 23 2006 @ 07:39 PM
link   
Bush probebly thought that if he invaded Iraq and toppled a dicator, Iraqi society would reset back to democracy. Instead they go back a couple of hundred years. Well done Bush. Your shocking handling of Iraq is only matched by your handling of New Orleans.

posted on Feb, 23 2006 @ 07:40 PM
link   
We all know that the liberation of Iraq was a nice and very good topic for the administration to look like a nigh in a shiny armor, bringing democracy to the middle east.

Taking away evil dictators like Saddam.

But we all know what the consequences of intruding in a completely different way of life like ours was going to do.

The civil war is something that was unavoidable.

The only way that US would have avoided this was to take a iron fist control of Iraq and force education into the masses before liberating them to enjoy democracy.

The old say comes back, the invasion of Iraq was hasty, ill planned and to much was expected from the people of Iraq.

Now if our Allies in Iraq that are the Shiites start rioting and fighting, US will have nothing to hold in Iraq anymore.

posted on Feb, 23 2006 @ 07:43 PM
link   
What people, especially the neo-cons and their apoligists keep forgeting is that history makes the people what they are...you can no more impose democracy on a people that have never had it, than you can make long cultivated hatreds go away overnight. The area that was Iraq, was never a country to begin with but 3 mutually hostile provinces in the Ottoman Empire whose Sultans had mastered the art of divide and conquor. In one and the same time, they cultivated ethnic hatreds and supressed them at the same time...we saw with bloody results what these same rulers did in the Balkans. After the collaspe of the Ottoman empire, the only thing that kept such regions together was a strongman, and unfortunately it will be the only thing to re-unite them...Yugoslavia fell apart because its strongman died, Iraq, because he was removed by a President and his cronies who in the words of George Carlin of all people "is a man who knows nothing about history being led by people who care nothing for it."

posted on Feb, 23 2006 @ 08:11 PM
link   
It may sound stupid just let Saddam out he will sort it.
No it’s getting silly, it the fact that they are so oppressed that their anger blows up on them if the system that controls them becomes threatened. If a cartoon can do it so can an historic building. People do not react this way across the western world when Satanists especially in Nordic countries burn churches down. Yes Christians are up set and complain but they do not burn music shops that sell satanic music.

Its a condition of constant reciting of the Koran and oppression that does it. Some say what about terrorists that have lost their families to war they have nothing left? They have a right to kill everyone else. But where I come from you take the route of the character 'Job' from the Bible and the way Jesus spoke of tolerance. I have heard stories of Christian families that have been wiped out by genocide and Christians from incidents like this forgive these killers. They even preach to them to change and ask for God's forgiveness after they have been imprisoned. A total opposite of everything else taught out there. But that’s the power of love and stops the cycle of hatred. There is no need for civil war just to be civilised.

[edit on 23-2-2006 by The time lord]

posted on Feb, 23 2006 @ 08:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by FactoryLad
These people had a second chance. They wasted it. I can't be bothered anymore with the place, if they want to run their country into the ground they can knock themselves out.

WE ran their country into the ground! WE toppled a stable government and then proceeded to wreak death and destruction across the land. We cannot just abandon them after we have come in by force and made a complete mess of their country.

Originally posted by whaaa
Warnings were given the administration about the tribal make up of Iraq, but the chicken hawks myopically believed that a western style democracy was possible. They will not suffer but the men and women caught in the cross fire will. Both our troops and Iraqi citizens.

This is what hurts me more than everything. Our troops and the Iraqi citizens will continue to die and in greater numbers now for something that they're innocent in.

We have been bitching and complaining that you cannot impose a democracy. A democracy has to be motivated and fought for by the people. They must be willing to rise up themselves and fight to maintain it. Handing it to them is like giving a car to a 10 year old. It will be destroyed because he's not ready for it, cannot appreciate it and he doesn't know what to do with it.

Ugh! This is so frustrating! What do we do now? We all said this was coming. Well now, it's here. And I feel totally helpless.

posted on Feb, 23 2006 @ 08:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by The time lord
It may sound stupid just let Saddam out he will sort it.

I don't know what kind of effect that would have, but I'd be willing to give it a try! He may have lost the 'respect' (fear?) that the people once had for him.

But I can't think of any other action that would help the situation. Even if we leave now, the civil strife will continue.

It's too late for us to leave. We should have left a year ago before things got so bad.

[edit on 23-2-2006 by Benevolent Heretic]

posted on Feb, 23 2006 @ 09:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by FactoryLadThese people had a second chance. They wasted it. I can't be bothered anymore with the place, if they want to run their country into the ground they can knock themselves out.

Hmmmm, let's see... "First, we invade your country and ruin your infrastructures, in the course of which tens of thousands of Iraqis will die, and then we torture some of your countrymen at Abu Ghraib, and oh, by the way, you better meet our expectations of your country, because if you don't we'll just take away the formidable boon that is our presence".

Uh-huh.

posted on Feb, 23 2006 @ 09:14 PM
link   
Gee, I'm shocked.

I am utterly stunned by this new development. I never saw this coming. Wait a minute, I did. This was the plan the whole time. The place would collapse into a civil war, and we would occupy them for at least a couple more decades.

Bush and his cronies ain't stupid; they know EXACTLY what they are doing. Look at how they have ordinary people they could care less about licking their boots and praising Bush as a great leader.

posted on Feb, 23 2006 @ 09:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043

The only way that US would have avoided this was to take a iron fist control of Iraq and force education into the masses before liberating them to enjoy democracy.

Instead of doing this, the american's army destroyed almost 85% of the universities of the country and killed almost 300 post-graduated people such as historians, scientists, psychologists so the elite of their society. After those murders, all the others educated people run away from the country.

So after the war, nobody will be able to say to the Iraqi people who they were and the american propaganda will do what they want with the Iraqi's mind...

When I say american, I say the army and the government, not the average people like most of you who understand that destroying another culture is bad. Because all cultures are equals.

posted on Feb, 23 2006 @ 09:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Vitchilo

When I say American, I say the army and the government, not the average people like most of you who understand that destroying another culture is bad. Because all cultures are equals.

Funny that US didn't do that either, I mean the education of the young in Iraq.

After some videos about school settings in the Baghdad area most of the children in the rest of the country are still without school nor receiving education.

In the documentary Battleground ran in show time the children were asking the the US for books and schools because they needed their education.

posted on Feb, 23 2006 @ 09:42 PM
link   
i said it when we first started this war and ill say it again, if and when they want democracy they would have revolted for it. until then they arent ready for it. you must earn it to prove you want it. of course it got totally screwed up, its like these rich kids getting a BMW when they are still in highschool, they have no clue as the worth of a dollar. iraq has no clue the worth of freedom, mainly because they didnt choose to earn it. once they work for it and fight for it then that bond will come in where they want to protect freedom. they didnt work to gain it so they really dont care if they have it.

like i said, if they wanted it enough their would have been a revolution.

posted on Feb, 23 2006 @ 10:52 PM
link   
Iraq has been on the brink of civil war since the fall of Saddam.
Where are all the people that said the welcome mat would be put out for coalition forces ?
There is a small glimmer of hope
Will it be enough ?

[edit on 23-2-2006 by xpert11]

posted on Feb, 24 2006 @ 12:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by truthseeka
The place would collapse into a civil war, and we would occupy them for at least a couple more decades.

The US would most likely pull out in a full scale civil war they dont have enough troops there to deal with that type of Chaos.

But dont worry Iran will be there to come in as the Muslim Hero and clean up the "US mess" and civil war they likely sparked. Oh and then they will be in control of one of the worlds largest oil reserves

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join