It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

what is emo?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 20 2006 @ 04:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by JonnaYa, I actually forgot that the newest goth craze is gothic heavy metal so I was going back a mutation. My bad!

Perhaps it's just that I was raised on old punk, post-punk and new wave that I refuse to accept the music of today as being the same. I suppose that could also explain why I refuse to accept the new Star Wars movies as being even in the same playing field as the original trilogy.

manson destroyed the genre (some of his music is ok but he took over the genre and corrupted it)

hmm, I think a listening of bela legosi might be in order

posted on Jan, 20 2006 @ 04:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jonna

Ya, I actually forgot that the newest goth craze is gothic heavy metal so I was going back a mutation. My bad!

the gothic heavy metal bands, thats exactly what I was referring to! I consider them the new form of glam bands as well. I hate them, and my boyfriend is in one as a favour to his brother....it's sad.

posted on Jan, 20 2006 @ 04:36 PM
link   
gary glitter glam?

there's a popular dude.

posted on Jan, 20 2006 @ 04:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Crakeur
hmm, I think a listening of bela legosi might be in order

What gets me is that one song really defined Bauhaus and yet the majority of their music sounds nothing like that. I saw the reunion tour a few months ago and I was disappointed. I do like them, but they've reached the status of aging rock band that can't help but cash in on old material to buy new rocking chairs. Even back in 97/98 on the first reunion tour when I saw them they were still decent, but no longer. There's just on onstage energy or presence left. Oh, well.

posted on Jan, 20 2006 @ 04:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by snowflake_obsidian

Originally posted by Jonna

Ya, I actually forgot that the newest goth craze is gothic heavy metal so I was going back a mutation. My bad!

the gothic heavy metal bands, thats exactly what I was referring to! I consider them the new form of glam bands as well. I hate them, and my boyfriend is in one as a favour to his brother....it's sad.

I was in a club a few weeks ago and someone starts ranting off this list of bands (gothic metal) to see if I liked them. I didn't know a single one of them, so being curious I listened to a few of them online.

Let's just say that I didn't listen for long. It's just honestly bizarre to see a genre of music completely mutate into something else over time. I feel so damn old!

As for Manson, I believe that even he labeled himself as Shockrock, but of course the media calls anything 'dark' goth. So is emo becoming the new goth?

posted on Jan, 20 2006 @ 04:51 PM
link   
lysergic your backround of your avatar is giving me a headache!

and i keeping on topic with the thread, i think emo people should just suck it up. this is a classic case of "there are people worse off than you" i cannot stand emo music and think it is a waste of radio air time and recording studio space.

OMG your girlfriend dumped you. boo boo. grow a pair and find another woman!

though i do think some of the more saner emo chicks are pretty hot, but you wont see me castrate my self to be an emo guy to try and pick them up.

posted on Jan, 20 2006 @ 06:42 PM
link   
Well, I hate labels, but after the kids at my school called me one of the goth kids, they moved me into one of the emo kids (not all, but alot of em).

So I guess to them, I am emo.So lets see if I can describe...myself?...I am a girl...so dont go thinking ima dude

I wear black jeans, t-shirts, hoodies. Usually all the time. I have short hair (not like uber short...like...The Beatles short) and I leave it down, falling in front of my face. I am getting black rimmed glasses (mine now are just ugly and thin..), I used to have depression but now its just like...slight depression. People automatically assume I smoke and cut myself because to them I am "emo". But I know other "emo" kids and they dont do either of that. The "emo" kids I know dont wallow in sadness saying I'd hurt myself for you or junk like that. We're just normal, we have fun alot, and act goofy. We're just called emo because of the way we dress and the music we listen too. Its just another social group people can stereotype with. Like saying all preps talk like omg like totally like this and like uh!...ugh that scares me...or saying all goths do is want to be in the darkness.

So emo is just a type of music and a way to dress...theres nothing bad about "emo" people...we're all humans...its like saying blacks are stupid. They're the same as whites. Emo kids are the same as Preps. We may look different, but we're all the same race.

Hmm long posty ^_^

posted on Jan, 20 2006 @ 07:53 PM
link   
i remember back in the day when emo referred to the hardcore bands like lifetime and into another who were just a softer hardcore. actually it was
like they were getting old and pussen out.
now its like a whole trend or style. maybe im old and just dont get it.

posted on Jan, 20 2006 @ 08:38 PM
link   
By the looks of the pic on page 2, the U.S version of "emos" are different than those that are in the UK.

Allow me to show some examples... *looks on myspace..*

external image
external image
external image
external image
external image

[edit on 20-1-2006 by xeroxed88]

posted on Jan, 20 2006 @ 10:29 PM
link   
I like a lot of the Emo-core type stuff like Thursday and Thrice...

I don't dress like that at all.

I was also captain of my football team in HS, and often drove away with the hot chick.

Wierd, eh?

posted on Jan, 23 2006 @ 08:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by American Mad Man
I like a lot of the Emo-core type stuff like Thursday and Thrice...

I don't dress like that at all.

I was also captain of my football team in HS, and often drove away with the hot chick.

Wierd, eh?

Shure it wasn't just a dude who looked like a chick like these emo's lol.

Not so easy to tell is it lol.

posted on Jan, 23 2006 @ 08:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by JonnaWhat gets me is that one song really defined Bauhaus

it was their first single, no?

doesn't mmmbop defiine Hanson? ok, bad example.

back to your whining about emo people. I guess that makes you guys emo too, no?

posted on Jan, 23 2006 @ 10:27 AM
link   
I think I'm becoming more and more emo as I follow this thread.

I'm Texas emo though.

Peace

posted on Jan, 23 2006 @ 10:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by picklewalsh
Shure it wasn't just a dude who looked like a chick like these emo's lol.

Not so easy to tell is it lol.

Hell, I thought it was an old picture of Joan Jett.

posted on Jan, 23 2006 @ 10:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by Reikuro
Well, I hate labels, but after the kids at my school called me one of the goth kids, they moved me into one of the emo kids (not all, but alot of em).

So I guess to them, I am emo.So lets see if I can describe...myself?...I am a girl...so dont go thinking ima dude

I wear black jeans, t-shirts, hoodies. Usually all the time. I have short hair (not like uber short...like...The Beatles short) and I leave it down, falling in front of my face. I am getting black rimmed glasses (mine now are just ugly and thin..), I used to have depression but now its just like...slight depression. People automatically assume I smoke and cut myself because to them I am "emo". But I know other "emo" kids and they dont do either of that. The "emo" kids I know dont wallow in sadness saying I'd hurt myself for you or junk like that. We're just normal, we have fun alot, and act goofy. We're just called emo because of the way we dress and the music we listen too. Its just another social group people can stereotype with. Like saying all preps talk like omg like totally like this and like uh!...ugh that scares me...or saying all goths do is want to be in the darkness.

So emo is just a type of music and a way to dress...theres nothing bad about "emo" people...we're all humans...its like saying blacks are stupid. They're the same as whites. Emo kids are the same as Preps. We may look different, but we're all the same race.

Hmm long posty ^_^

Emo loser-head!!!!!! (me and reikuro go to the same school hehe)

Well I can see why people mistake you as a guy... it's the hair.. *ba-boom ching*

Some songs by some emo bands are decent. They're nothing compared to Pink Floyd though. They wouldn't even deserve to shine pink floyd's shoes!! Or like valet park their car! lol

But liek seriously some emo kids are all like my life sucks blah blah blah cut cut cut and some aren't....

Peace dizzle fo shizzle gangsta cpr izout

posted on Jan, 23 2006 @ 12:12 PM
link   
I did a Google search for "emo images" and came up with these:

emo otter:

emo dolls:

Emo otter is almost more than I can handle!

Peace

posted on Jan, 23 2006 @ 01:24 PM
link   
none of this one: the original emo, emo philips doll:

posted on Jan, 23 2006 @ 01:50 PM
link   
Yeah, they had plenty of emo phillips, but emo otter just looked so sad and depressed that I had to give him some screen time.

Another thing I've noticed about emo is that a majority seem to wear glasses. What's with all the cutting? Do these people like to put cigarettes out on their arms too?

Peace

[edit on 23-1-2006 by Dr Love]

posted on Jan, 23 2006 @ 02:05 PM
link   
I had no idea there was such a thing as 'emo'.

Originally posted by Crakeur
I was so wrong about the topic of this thread

Me, too!

Originally posted by xeroxed88
The Emo Song

That film said it all.
Now I know what/who they are.

What an informative thread...

posted on Jan, 23 2006 @ 02:10 PM
link   
emo, emu, uma

I never really cared much until I got sucked into this thread. now I want to get rid of my contacts and wear black frames (buddy holly, the original emo?), I want to wear black nail polish (uma thurman circa pulp fiction was emo), I want to cut myself (maggie gyllenhall circa secretary was emo) and I want to sing sad mopey songs (the smiths were emo?).

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join