It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

what is emo?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 20 2006 @ 02:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dr Love
Note to Jonna: I wouldn't classify you as goth, I'd classify you as one of a kind.

Thanks. I don't consider myself so much a 'label' as I've just seen far too many futuristic, post apocalyptic films when not playing Final Fantasy games.
What can I say, I'm just a scifi geek at heart.

posted on Jan, 20 2006 @ 02:30 PM
link   
A friend of mine said that Emo kids are the new "wanna be goths" not real goths. I really don't care, I detest labels.

All i know about emo music is that most of the bands have singers with really annoying whiney voices and honestly I'd rather hear nails being scratched on a chalk board.

posted on Jan, 20 2006 @ 02:35 PM
link   
Can somebody please post a picture of what an emo is supposed to look like?

Is Marylin Manson an emo? Is Charles Manson an emo? Help me get a freakin' clue!!

Peace

posted on Jan, 20 2006 @ 02:37 PM
link   
aside from the pic I posted, I don't think they have a "look" as it were.

jimmy eat world was deemed emo. they looked pretty normal to me. either "emo look" is normal or I am emo.

posted on Jan, 20 2006 @ 02:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Crakeur
jimmy eat world was deemed emo. they looked pretty normal to me.

Yeah, if that's emo then I really don't see anything out of the ordinary other than the guy on the far left looking like a complete goober.

Peace

[edit on 20-1-2006 by Dr Love]

posted on Jan, 20 2006 @ 02:54 PM
link   
for doctor love

how to dress emo: www.dobi.nu...

external image

posted on Jan, 20 2006 @ 02:59 PM
link   
lysergic, that pic is totally wrong. That chick does not have dyed black hair, it definatly looks like plain brown to me.

posted on Jan, 20 2006 @ 03:00 PM
link   
Maybe its just fading out and she's been too sad to go to the store and buy more?

external image

posted on Jan, 20 2006 @ 03:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lysergic
Maybe its just fading out and she's been too sad to go to the store and buy more?

yeah because it's faded to the point where she dare not step foot out of her house without her black hair, people might actually mistake her for being happy!

posted on Jan, 20 2006 @ 03:12 PM
link   
So basically if you're a dude you're supposed to look like Shaggy from Scooby Doo?

The girl has a very cute look other than the socks and the shoes. I love bellies.

That's just an opinion from a guy in his mid-30s.

Peace

posted on Jan, 20 2006 @ 03:18 PM
link   
ps: I dont think Emo is Goth but I do believe the EMO came from the straight edge scene
mmm
estrogen enhanced

i know far too much about this excuse meh while i purge the brain of it

[edit on 20-1-2006 by Lysergic]

posted on Jan, 20 2006 @ 03:22 PM
link   
lysergic, I was going to post about how you seem to have real issues with the so called emo look but then I swallowed my tongue and had a siezure as a result of looking at your flashing bananas so thanks. it was kinda cool.

Dr. Love, it is clear that you do not have a phD in love as a true doctor in the art of love would look beyond the socks and shoes, realizing that they would be off the feet, unless it was uggs on the feet and then you move on, no matter how hot the woman is from the stems up because uggs look dumb and, in the event that you do get them off of a woman, her feet are going to stink from all the sweat.

you should know this stuff. it's ripped right from the gross love 101 text books and don't claim that being in your mid 30's means you aren't up on the current dress as you are supposed to be obtaining education credits to keep the Dr. before your name.

posted on Jan, 20 2006 @ 03:27 PM
link   

What the hell's an "ugg"? My g/f has plenty of cute little belly shirts like that and plenty of those jeans that sit low on the waist. Drives me freakin' crazy

Peace

posted on Jan, 20 2006 @ 03:29 PM
link   
these ugly things. women wear them with short skirts in the summer in NYC. Not sure why. they are the antithesis of an aphrodesiac

posted on Jan, 20 2006 @ 03:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by snowflake_obsidian
A friend of mine said that Emo kids are the new "wanna be goths" not real goths.

Goth isn't even goth anymore! When it first started back in the late 70's it was about sex, drugs and rock n' roll like all good music; it really wasn't all that different than punk/post punk music. Yes, it was at time still theatrical in the vein of horror movies, but there wasn't all this pesudo-Enya (even though Enya is respectible at times), mopey crap associated with it. There is no real goth anymore; it's turned into 'O woe is me' music.

I suppose that all music popular with the younger generations will be seen as emotion because teens tend to be more emotional regardless of the music. That's what I don't get about emo; is it really about the music or is it just a general term for teens that don't have mohawks or mullets?

posted on Jan, 20 2006 @ 03:46 PM
link   
since when is Enya associated with goth? she's new age, no?

old time goth:
bauhaus
the cure (17 seconds era)
siouxsie and the banshees
this mortal coil

to name a few

posted on Jan, 20 2006 @ 03:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jonna

I suppose that all music popular with the younger generations will be seen as emotion because teens tend to be more emotional regardless of the music. That's what I don't get about emo; is it really about the music or is it just a general term for teens that don't have mohawks or mullets?

That's one thing i don't mind about emo, teenagers and very young adults are naturally over-emotional (I know I was) and they have every right to express that. Most of the emo bands are still young kids (or at least appealing to young kids), so I'll give them the benefit of the doubt on that.

I personally associate wanna-be goths with people that follow a lot of these really fakey new death metal glam bands, kinda like Marilyn Manson (sorry to anyone who is into Marilyn Manson).

I dont know, at the end of the day they are all labels and labels suck

posted on Jan, 20 2006 @ 04:18 PM
link   

since when is Enya associated with goth? she's new age, no?

I said pseudo-Enya and was refering to those moaning etherial goth bands these days.

And for your list: Yes, Bauhaus broke it big for the genre, but if you listen to them they are really more surrealist experimentive than goth. It wasn't always called goth (that was a label that came later), it was post-punk like Suz and the Banshees (Red Lorry Yellow Lorry, March Violets, Virgin Prunes, The Birthday Party, etc.) and that's not mopey at all.

Goth (or more appropriately post-punk) began around 77'/78', hit middle age around 85' and finally died around 94' in my opinion. The self proclaimed goth bands today bear little resemblance to it's predeceser.

My issue with the subject is people believing that all goths are the same as the sub culture today, which I'm not fond of. I was heavily into the NYC underground scene in the early 90's until the late 90's (the scene is dead in NYC these days) and never did I know anyone who slept in a coffin, thought they were a vampire or was depressed all the time.

So, ya...back to emo.....

posted on Jan, 20 2006 @ 04:22 PM
link   
gotcha on the birth and death and the scene itself.

the enya thing threw me for a loop

I miss the old music and no, today's coffin sleeping oddballs are not goth as I knew it.

posted on Jan, 20 2006 @ 04:29 PM
link   

the enya thing threw me for a loop

Ya, I actually forgot that the newest goth craze is gothic heavy metal so I was going back a mutation. My bad!

Perhaps it's just that I was raised on old punk, post-punk and new wave that I refuse to accept the music of today as being the same. I suppose that could also explain why I refuse to accept the new Star Wars movies as being even in the same playing field as the original trilogy.

Naaaaa, the new ones sucked!:bnghd:

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join