It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

what is emo?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 18 2006 @ 09:52 PM
link   
I have heard this term [emo] bandied about but I really don't know what it means. I surmise it refers to "emotion" but in what context.
Help this old, socially challenged hippie understand this hip new world.

posted on Jan, 18 2006 @ 10:16 PM
link   
wow and to think i've answered this a few times here :p

An entire subculture of people (usually angsty teens) with a fake personality. The concept of Emo is actually a vicious cycle that never ends, to the utter failing of humanity, and it goes something like this:

1. Girls say they like "sensitive guys" (lie)
2. Guy finds out, so he listens to faggy emo music and dresses like a dork so chicks will see that he is sensitive and not afraid to express himself (lie). He dyes his hair black, wraps himself in a stupid looking scarf, develops an eating disorder, and rants about how "nobody understands".
3. Now an emo guy, he meets Emo chick and they start dating, talking about how their well-off suburban lifestyles are terrible and depressing (lie)
4. Emo guy is just too much of a pussy. His penis is too small, he's too depressed to bathe, and has more mood swings than emo chick, and he doesn't even have a menstrual cycle. Emo chick dumps him, saying "It's not you, it's me." (lie) as she drives off with Wayne, the school jock and captain of the football team.
5. Emo guy goes home and cries, proceeds to write a weak song and strum a single string on his acoustic guitar. Another emo chick sees how he is so in touch with his feelings, and the cycle continues.

This is the sad truth of the emo lifestyle/music, and now that I look at how pathetic it really is, maybe the emos DO have something to cry about!
When she sees how sensitive and emo I have become, she'll definately go out with me!

www.urbandictionary.com...

[edit on 18-1-2006 by Lysergic]

posted on Jan, 18 2006 @ 10:20 PM
link   

Some of the stereotypical fashion trends associated with emo include the wearing of tight jeans, males wearing pants tailored for females, black clothing, All-Stars shoes, used T-shirts with random prints, and dyeing their hair in unatural dark hues. Dark make-up is also popular with females, but males may sometimes use it, too. Piercings and tattoos are also popular, especially lip and labret piercings.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Wiki Link 1

In its original incarnation, the term emo was used to describe the music of the mid-1980s DC scene and its associated bands. In later years, the term emocore, short for "emotional hardcore", was also used to describe the DC scene and some of the regional scenes that spawned from it. The term emo was derived from the fact that, on occasion, members of a band would become spontaneously and literally emotional during performances. The most recognizable names of the period included Rites of Spring, Embrace, One Last Wish, Beefeater, Gray Matter, Fire Party and slightly later, Moss Icon. The first wave of emo began to fade after the breakups of most of the involved bands in the early 1990s.

Starting in the mid-1990s, the term emo began to reflect the indie scene that followed the influences of Fugazi, which itself was an offshoot of the first wave of emo. Bands including Sunny Day Real Estate and Texas Is the Reason put forth a more indie rock brand of emo, which was more melodic and less chaotic in nature than its predecessor. The so-called "indie emo" scene survived until the end of the 1990s, as many of the bands either disbanded or shifted their style to the mainstream.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Wiki Link 2

Other Emo stuff not just the tpyer of music/people

Hope this helps!

posted on Jan, 18 2006 @ 10:29 PM
link   
Hey I don't want some social commentary. I want some emoniks, or emoites or emotes to tell me what it's like to be emoted.

It's like being a white anglo saxon protestent male. If you're not one; how can you even know the pain and hardship we have to endure every damn day.

[edit on 18-1-2006 by whaaa]

posted on Jan, 18 2006 @ 10:34 PM
link   
basically it means you suck.

posted on Jan, 20 2006 @ 04:20 AM
link   
Emos

Emos are people who dress the same as eachother, have the same hairstyle, listen to god awful music and moan about how "bad" life is. They're very vain, they annoy me, they have no sense of individuality, they're a bunch of sheep!

The Emo Song

posted on Jan, 20 2006 @ 04:54 AM
link   
Basically, they are teens who think they are depressed and often write stuff down like:

"I slit my wrists for you attention and love" etc...

They also wear women's clothes and always kiss each other...... In a gay way....

posted on Jan, 20 2006 @ 06:44 AM
link   
Arent they known as Goths?

posted on Jan, 20 2006 @ 07:09 AM
link   
Goths round these parts aren't stereotypically depressed. I know alot of "goths" and they're actually very intelligent, happy people.

posted on Jan, 20 2006 @ 07:48 AM
link   
To answer your question, Whaaa ...

oooohh, wait ... the title is, "What is emo?

Sorry, my bad!? :shk:

I've always been amazed by the "See, I've inflicted physical harm to my body as a way of showing my undying love for you!" ???

WTF!? is that all about?

[edit on 1/20/2006 by 12m8keall2c]

posted on Jan, 20 2006 @ 09:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by Yossarian
Arent they known as Goths?

Not that I'm goth, but don't drag me into this!
I can't figure out what emo is either.

posted on Jan, 20 2006 @ 09:58 AM
link   
EMO stands for Emotional Hardcore doesn't it?

Although "hardcore" is the last thing I call it. "Whinging Rock by Numbers" sounds more apt.

posted on Jan, 20 2006 @ 01:21 PM
link   
Lastnite I decided to do a little first hand reasearch into the "emo" phenom, so I went to a bar downtown that had a reputation of being emo. All I saw were a bunch of 20 somethings drinkin and dancin. One young female emo took me out to my van and showed me her tattoo.
It was a little skunk, "pepe le pew" but it didn't smell like a skunk.

I didn't care much for the band/music but I'm so steeped in the blues that if it's not the blues it just sounds like "zippity doo daa" to me.

I didn't care much for the fashion with all the NIN black and eye makeup but I'm sure I looked like a freak to them. But hey, live and let live!!

All in all, I had a great time and might even go back, just to continue my "research" into American contemporary culture though.

I should have done my research before I started this thread but I always tend to take the easy way out. The www is much cheaper than $4.00 drafts and $4.50 well.

[edit on 20-1-2006 by whaaa]

posted on Jan, 20 2006 @ 01:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by whaaa
...One young female emo took me out to my van and showed me her tattoo.

Why did you have to go out to your van to see her tattoo?

Could you please elaborate?

Note to Jonna: I wouldn't classify you as goth, I'd classify you as one of a kind.

Peace

[edit on 20-1-2006 by Dr Love]

posted on Jan, 20 2006 @ 01:45 PM
link   
I was so wrong about the topic of this thread

posted on Jan, 20 2006 @ 01:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dr Love

Originally posted by whaaa
...One young female emo took me out to my van and showed me her tattoo.

Why did you have to go out to your van to see her tatoo?

Could you please elaborate?

Peace

Well Doctor, it seems as though some female emos like to place their "body art" in xxx rated places and even emos are uncomfortable pullin their pants down in public. Thus the van. I'm sure you know the cliched placement of the "body art". "Pepe le Pew" seem a bit of a streach to call body art. Now a tattoo of Jimi or SRV; thats ART, with a capital A.

[edit on 20-1-2006 by whaaa]

posted on Jan, 20 2006 @ 01:55 PM
link   
wouldn't a female emo be a femo. don't we hate femo for their ineptitude during the hurricanes?

so, by proxy we hate the comedian Emo Phillips, pictured above.

posted on Jan, 20 2006 @ 01:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Crakeur
I was so wrong about the topic of this thread

dude, you weren't that wrong really, I see no difference..

except emo philips has mack daddy pimp appeal and knows how to lay the smack down.

[edit on 20/1/06 by Klepto]

posted on Jan, 20 2006 @ 02:02 PM
link   
I'll take your word on it as I only remember him as being as annoying as Judy Tenuda.

posted on Jan, 20 2006 @ 02:05 PM
link   
Emo or emoxcore is emotional hardcore, which is mixture of punk and post hardcore. Bands like My Chemical Romance are not emo, more metal than anything. Taking Back Sunday and Panic! at the disco are what you would define as Emo.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join