It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

End of the World? What good would it do to prepare for it?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 15 2006 @ 03:48 PM
link   
I am fairly new here, but I wanted to put this topic out there for all to think about and comment on.

If the end of the World is coming, what would you do or not do to prepare?

Would you stock pile food?
Build a secret underground base?
Wait around for 'it' to happen?

When I was younger, than I am now, I would read various books on different possible End of the World prophecies. At times, I'd get a bit fearful, thinking, 'Gee, this psychic, prophet is saying the Mississippi River will swallow the entire middle section of the U.S.".

NOW~ After reading SO MANY different 'theories', I chose to WAIT & SEE WHAT HAPPENS.

Should we simply live in fear and wait for the 'Big Day'?

I think not.

What if the End didn't come until 2025? 2040? We would have 'wasted' our lives in fear and prep. for something that did not and would not affect us.

What about 2012? Mayan Calender Predictions?
Doesn't have to be a BAD -end of the World?

Comments?

posted on Jan, 15 2006 @ 04:07 PM
link   
It depends as to what you percieve as the end of the world, where do you think all these prophesies originated from, you should not fear the end because there will be no end as such mearly a means to an end.

But to be honest I don't get your point of view, what are you worried about, just a big pointless end lol.

An end to what and because why?

It all sounds abit pointless from your point of veiw to me.

END=DECEIT=END=DECEIT=END=DECEIT=END=DECEIT=END=DECEIT=???

posted on Jan, 15 2006 @ 04:17 PM
link   
Some people say that there'll be a shift in dimensions or something weird like that. Like something spiritual will happen.

Not an expert myself.

posted on Jan, 16 2006 @ 06:12 AM
link   
I've often thought about this scenario. If the president were to make a live announcement that the world was nearing towards the end (due to whatever reason) and he said there was only a couple more hours left...it really wouldn't do any good to get in your car and drive away to safer ground...there would be none. Besides the point,highways would be jammed, air space would be in chaos, you couldn't really make it anywhere.

If this were to happen I'd probably try to clear my head and spend the last moments with the ones I love and hold dear to me. Then I'd probably take sleeping pills, I would be too much of a coward to sit thru the destruction of earth...however it may come about.

On the other hand, if an unexpected doomsday event occurs without prior warning, I pray to God(s) that I'll die quickly and not suffer. But thats extremely idealistic.

posted on Jan, 16 2006 @ 07:10 AM
link   
My dear Isisinanna, what if surviving "the end of the world" was not so much about physical survival, but spiritual evolution?

I personally believe that if the end of the world was truly upon us, that there would be no safe cave, mountain or hideaway.

There are many who would say that so called "end of the world" theory is simply an end to the current way in which we live, which is in total ignorance to the higher realms that govern our being.

Humanity, as it exists today is, no offence, stupid and ignorant - here lies the curse of third dimensional living. The ancient races of people who inhabited this planet before us were blessed with higher knowledge of the planetary systems and time itself and some say, lived with a direct connection - and in communication with - the higher realms.

It is believed by many, that perhaps by 2012 our current time cycle is due to end, that humanity will be given a choice, to continue to live in the third dimension as a being of matter, or advance to the fourth dimension, then eventually onto the fifth which is formless (without physical body).

So how did we lose our "knowledge" and our "connection"? This is what the Holy Bible refers to as the "fall of man". Adam (or humanity) may not have been literally tempted with an apple from the tree of wisdom, but he may have been tempted with physical pleasures that only life in the third dimension can offer. Since that point, we have been beings of the flesh, our minds controlling our bodies and disconnected from our inner being (that is connected to the wisdom of the higher realms and All that Is).

So could we be facing the "end of the world", or an "end of ignorance"...I believe the latter.

And I can't wait, I hope that all the people I love on this planet will join me in the next dimension/s....

Dobbie

posted on Jan, 16 2006 @ 01:07 PM
link   
I'm not preparing for anything, I don't even worry about it. The way I see it, if it happens then it happens, I'd rather focus on living for as long as I may have left rather than wasting my time worrying about the end.

posted on Jan, 16 2006 @ 01:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by isisinanna
I am fairly new here, but I wanted to put this topic out there for all to think about and comment on.

If the end of the World is coming, what would you do or not do to prepare?

Would you stock pile food?
Build a secret underground base?
Wait around for 'it' to happen?

When I was younger, than I am now, I would read various books on different possible End of the World prophecies. At times, I'd get a bit fearful, thinking, 'Gee, this psychic, prophet is saying the Mississippi River will swallow the entire middle section of the U.S.".

NOW~ After reading SO MANY different 'theories', I chose to WAIT & SEE WHAT HAPPENS.

Should we simply live in fear and wait for the 'Big Day'?

I think not.

What if the End didn't come until 2025? 2040? We would have 'wasted' our lives in fear and prep. for something that did not and would not affect us.

Comments?

a good idea would be to dig a deep hole with walls and soundproof and build a mcdonalds in there and whatever else you might like or need to keep you from starving and boring yourself to death basically.

posted on Jan, 16 2006 @ 01:36 PM
link   
there are many different ideas as to what TEOTWAWKI means. the end of the world as we know it. think about that. it doesnt necessarily mean that we all go out in a big fire ball. it could mean that things just change dramatically and there will be chaos for awhile in the interim. at any rate, being prepared is always a good idea. if you are prepared for something big, then it stands to reason that if you lose power for a couple of days due to a huge snow storm or hurricane, then you are also prepared for that small thing. preparedness isnt nuts IMHO, its insuring that your family is taken care of. of course, if we get hit with a extension level event such as a large asteroid, there is no amount of preparing that will save you or your family.

posted on Jan, 16 2006 @ 02:47 PM
link   
I think when people see the words END OF THE WORLD they think of the wold blowing up and it existing no more. I Think it will be less severe than that. think about the statistical chance of the end of the world occuring in our pathetic 70 year lifespan.

I think the end of the world is more probably going to be a break down of civilisation as we know it. whetehr or not this is caused by nuclear war or birdflu it make no differance.

I think there is the possibility that people could survive *the end of the world* so i think we might aswell all try!

TPL

posted on Jan, 16 2006 @ 04:58 PM
link   
It depends what you mean by end of the world.

If the Earth gets hit by a burst of strong gamma rays or gets sucked into a black hole then no amount of food you store will help.

If civilisation collapses then storing food will be helpful to you, and if you like it could put you in a position of power.

posted on Jan, 17 2006 @ 05:55 PM
link   
If you live through whatever occurs, the ability to live off the land will be the most useful thing to have. Stored supplies will just make you a target, so they better be far off the beaten path and well hidden or they'll be the pursuit of very desperate people. If there is very little food around, starvation will cause mass violence. Cannibalism is more than likely. I hope that if this scenario happens, I am one of the lucky ones who snuff it. If a new consciousness is what unfolds, then learning to love others might be useful.

posted on Jan, 18 2006 @ 01:37 PM
link   
I think BlackGuard is makes a very good point, supplies will make you a target.

I personaly think it is a good idea to have food stockpiled though. If you can keep this secret somehow and as a BACKUP have a meanes to defend it you will be very well off indeed. However i also think it is a must to have the skills to live off the land, unless you have a huge huge store you are going to run out sooner or later.

Depending on what the end of the world turns out to be, will have a massive effect on what you need to know to sirvive. An asteroid strike is verry different from nuclear war which is verry different from everything being totaly wiped out by the earth blowing up.

The best we anyone do is be prepaired with sufficient stocks of food, water, weapons and knowledge

posted on Jan, 19 2006 @ 06:45 PM
link   

Comments?

If we build structures now less bent on flashy... underground and small... "The Shire" there will be homes for our children as the world passes through an ice age. If we teach our children the wisdom of stockpiling food... always... then when famine comes they have grain and dried beans stashed in glass jars to last for the first year...

I may never see the abrupt climate change scenario... but it will happen; it is a natural phenomenon for "the end of the world" to occur. Every couple thousand years the earth becomes grossly uninhabitable... mass extinction event... those that lived in humility preparing for such times, live through such times. And went on to right really neat books like... The Bible.

This is why I stockpile food and will teach my children to do the same. And this is why I have a bunker. The day will come... if that always 60 degrees farenheit bunker saves my great great grandchild... my family lives as others perish... or at least the man who lives off my land will live on, and humanity can continue.

I do not fear, but with due respect for forces more powerful than myself... I prepare.

Besides... preperation is Work... and Work is why InI are here, there is nothing I'd rather be doing with this life.

I also wanted to add that I stockpile vitamins, whey protein, green clay (for radiation sickness), and hand tools (I'm a carpenter). I have camping gear to keep my family mobile if need be. I am not meat dependent at all... vegetarian.

More than anything though... as has been mentioned... Knowledge is key. And the only true path towards Knowledge is Experience. Think of how the Amish are better experienced than the rest of us for dealing with the collapse of globalism... this is the type of Knowledge one must carry to pass. You must expose yourself and your family to the elements and to hard work now. The penetant man shall pass. I think it says in The Book of Mormon something about how the Lord will make your women strong like brethren as you make preperations to leave the fallen city. You should see my fiancee chop fire wood... she puts most men to shame.

Study of Holy Scriptures will also help one in preperation for apacolypse. I find the I Ching, Book of Mormon, and the Bhagavad Gita most helpful... the Torah helps as well... but I feel the New Testament is more inline with bettering post apocalyptic life... rather than actually weathering such an event.

Sri Oracle

[edit on 19-1-2006 by Sri Oracle]

posted on Jan, 19 2006 @ 07:15 PM
link   
This will be my last post here as the End of the world is NII.
Humm looking at that statment gives you pause.
In order for the world to truly end it must be ,
A hit by a VERY VERY large body .(science says the moon was created by a body the size of mars hitting earth . So bigger then mars .
B the sun swells up turning earth into a french fry . (I like frys )
C a Black hole Sucks the whole soler system up . ( do they come in a Red)?
D God (pick one) says the heck with it and starts over .
Baring any of these VERY unlikly events the earth will keep on spinning just like it has for the last 5 billion years or so.
The better question would be If the end of Human civilastion is comming.
In that case no matter how you prepair its more luck then any thing if you live or die .
I mean theres on the order of 20,000 nuks in the world .

posted on Jan, 19 2006 @ 10:08 PM
link   
www.exitmundi.nl...

Here is a link listing the 45 other ways we might snuff it. It is a great site. By the end of 2012, I guess we'll know if the numerous ancient texts are all wrong. that would be a major coincidence, but you never know. They are all possibly in agreement and wrong. I don't belive that, but it could happen. I personally like the solar anomaly idea, something like the sun having a 12 000 or so year cycle where it does something unanticipated. this then blasts us with major energy of soem kind. It is not at all impossible.

posted on Jan, 20 2006 @ 11:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by BlackGuardXIII
www.exitmundi.nl...

lmao....yup, i love that site. if you cant laugh at TEOTWAWKI, then what good is talking about it? it was actually a link from that site that drew me here in the first place!

posted on Jan, 20 2006 @ 02:45 PM
link   

As I understand it. the 2012 Mayan Calender thing is simply when a major counter flips over like when 1999 became 2000. A lot of people predicted dire happenings then which didn't seem to materialize. I suspect the same for 2012.

Personally, I am more concerned about the president of Iran, Mahmoud Ahmadinejad. He has said his purpose is to usher in the 12th Imam Mahdi who, basically, will bring an end to the world. I suppose we could laugh at this guy as just another nut case. Only problem is that this nut seems close to having nuclear weapons.

By some interpretations, the Bible prophesises a war (Armgeddon) wherein 1/3rd of the world's population will be destroyed. That is some 2 billion people. This would make 9/11 or Katrina seem like nothing. If this happens, I would think it could qualify as a BAD thing.

posted on Jan, 20 2006 @ 03:26 PM
link   

That is some 2 billion people. This would make 9/11 or Katrina seem like nothing. If this happens, I would think it could qualify as a BAD thing.

Depends on what happens after death though doesn't it.

posted on Jan, 20 2006 @ 04:42 PM
link   
I asked him what the time of the end of the Kali Yuga was expected to be, and he said, soon. I then asked what he had learned was supposed to happen. He said 'the slate will be wiped clean', if the Christian apocalypse and the Hindu depiction turn out to be closer to what happens, then it would be more like 6 billion dead. I wouldn't necessarily label it as BAD. It is certainly something that no recorded event could compare to in its immensity of change. that is a big change. But, I can imagine that other than humans, who survive, the rest of our fellow creatures who do, will not miss us.

posted on Jan, 20 2006 @ 09:07 PM
link   
There is nothing needed to prepare for the end of the world. There will be nothing left, not even your hoarded supplies. Most people think the only thing you need to worry about in the event of such a contingency is your soul. I'll leave it to you to decide if that is a valid concern.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join