It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is YellowStone going to blow this year ?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 3 2006 @ 06:41 PM
link   
all i have to say is check this link out and the me what you all think www.data4science.net...

[edit on 3/1/06 by lobo76]

posted on Jan, 3 2006 @ 06:50 PM
link   
Lobo

You are starting a thread about THE story of 2006 (non-alien related, that is)...
This Yellowstone Doomsday Sceanrio is a little-known geological probability...
and none of us is prepared on any level for what might happen...

There was a made for TV movie about Yellowstone blowing-
it was obscure and my cable didn't even have it listed so I could know the title-
but it was well-done in addressing the issue.

Good post, Lobo... this is a bigger nightmare than any terrorist act.

TPM

posted on Jan, 3 2006 @ 07:15 PM
link   
Discovery made a program about 7 months ago called "Supervolcano"
It was all about the Yellowstone Caldera

posted on Jan, 3 2006 @ 07:59 PM
link   
Hey. It was called 'Supervolcano' and was made by the BBC as a co-production with the Discovery Channel. It was show on the Canadian Discovery Channel on Jan 1, a part of their 'we're all going to die in 2006' theme - came just *before* the Pompeii documentary and just after a tsunami special!

Made my day, I can tell you - what an optimistic start to the year!

Cheers

TD

posted on Jan, 3 2006 @ 08:07 PM
link   
There you go:

www.bbc.co.uk...

Damn, I miss the BBC. Even more now I'm not paying a TV licence!

Was it just me, but the start of the audio link sounded like, 'I was watching 'Supervolcano' on the Discovery Channel on New Years Day, and am now rather worried!'

Wonder what the US Geological Survey says about this?

TD

posted on Jan, 3 2006 @ 08:12 PM
link   
There you go:

volcanoes.usgs.gov...

Interesting, but we are probably not all going to die. Or is that what they want us to think?

I'll look at next month's promised update with interest!

TD

posted on Jan, 3 2006 @ 08:12 PM
link   
What do you mean "Miss the BBC", it s still shown on public television

posted on Jan, 3 2006 @ 08:15 PM
link   
What channel to you get Horizon on, Jacbox? I am completely bewildered by Cable TV in North America. I get a few PBS things from the US, but about the only thing they seem to show is 'Eastenders'

TD

posted on Jan, 3 2006 @ 08:22 PM
link   
cant say, i dont watch alot of TV(BTW whats Easternders?)

posted on Jan, 3 2006 @ 08:36 PM
link   
BBC makes good stuff that makes you proud to pay a licence fee (eg awarding-winning science documentaries like Horizon), and soap opera crap like Eastenders, because they feel that they should be populist as well as highbrow.

I usually see 'co-production' signs for WGS(something or other) in Boston, with Horizon but am yet to see it airing anywhere in North America. Was hoping you could help!

TD

posted on Jan, 3 2006 @ 08:37 PM
link   
Well, this is facinating but how many times have we heard these doom day scenario's? How authentic is the source? Why would the government just iqnore this?

Check this out, is it just a coincidence?

This is a map of the caldera in yellowstone:

...and these are the roads that have been closed due to 'construction':

I got it off the offical site: www.nps.gov...

[edit on 3-1-2006 by PeteTPP]

posted on Jan, 3 2006 @ 08:52 PM
link   
i heard in the outer DC area theyre VERY openminded. mabye Horizons shown there.

The gov ignores it because gov. always focuses on money.
there has been things done to help when Yellowstone erupts, like transport and evac routes. BUt the gov didnt do much in Katrina i heard too.
Cyclones will only get worse due to atmosphereic heating, which causes the oceans to warm and thus creating more fuel for cyclones. Yet the US has done nothing, even prevented limiting emmisions that would lower global temp from this unnatural high.

posted on Jan, 3 2006 @ 10:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by PeteTPP

First of all this is normal to close roads to vehicle traffic this time of year (November 6th is the actual date indicated) and opened for snowmobile traffic. (November - April) Nothing new happens every year during the winter. Yes roads will be closed in spring for construction (Roads in Yellowstone are always in continuous repair if you ever been there.

That audio clip seems to be the same doomsday scenerio put out by
certain people, who by religious convictions and prophecy think its armeggedon.

Is Yellowstone Volcanically active, you bet. Is it ready to blow, probably not in the near future as indicated By Park geologists. But, like all volcanic regions it definitely bears close observation.

Incidently I live 160 miles from Yellowstone

posted on Jan, 3 2006 @ 10:15 PM
link   
Yellowstone has erupted many times in the past as you probebly heard, but it also erupts in regularity, about 600,000 years between eruptions. The last one was 630,000. It would seem that we are due, but Horsenut might be right about it not erupting in the near future, but bear in mind it could blow at any seconded
LIKE NOW< BBBBBBBOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

posted on Jan, 3 2006 @ 10:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheHorseChestnut

Originally posted by PeteTPP

First of all this is normal to close roads to vehicle traffic this time of year (November 6th is the actual date indicated) and opened for snowmobile traffic. (November - April) Nothing new happens every year during the winter. Yes roads will be closed in spring for construction (Roads in Yellowstone are always in continuous repair if you ever been there.

That audio clip seems to be the same doomsday scenerio put out by
certain people, who by religious convictions and prophecy think its armeggedon.

Is Yellowstone Volcanically active, you bet. Is it ready to blow, probably not in the near future as indicated By Park geologists. But, like all volcanic regions it definitely bears close observation.

Incidently I live 160 miles from Yellowstone

Thats why I asked was it just a coincidence.
I think your right btw, yet another dooms day predicted into scaring us its the end of the world.

posted on Jan, 4 2006 @ 01:42 AM
link   
I think the stupidest thing to debate is super volcanoes. No possible way of predicting they will blow. Not even with Seismo. They could go at any time.

Its a loose loose situation regardless of how well your prepared. Millions will die regardless of evacuation plans and the earth will just give itself a long overdue self healing.

Stupid to worry! Nothings to different now then it was 10-20-30 years ago. No need to worry. If we die we die. Big deal.

posted on Jan, 4 2006 @ 10:05 AM
link   
Well said andrew. Maybe its about time the earth took itself back

posted on Jan, 6 2006 @ 02:38 PM
link   
Yes but what about AFTER the eruption, when the United States starves to death due to the destruction of all grain producing areas in the US.The US also provides the grains for most of the world. We should blan to save up grains the same way they save oil

posted on Jan, 6 2006 @ 03:01 PM
link   
There are some things you can do to prepare for the eruption. I think the best is probably to ensure clean water and fresh food. The water can be a little tricky, or very easy, depending on where in the country you live. The food is something we should have taken care of a long time ago.

It's a good idea to set up the biggest hydroponics rig you can afford (even if you don't plan on using it until disaster strikes), and push legislation in your local community setting aside funds for city/town/state-sponsored programs to ensure food supplies remain workable. Large scale urban hydroponics are feasible, but it takes citizen involvement more than anything.

As a side benefit, producing food locally also reduces to a great extent the need for the large quantity of fuel needed to transport food.

Other possibile precautions might involve building a low-cost bomb shelter or converting your vehicle to run on something easier to obtain (in a crisis) than gasoline. If you have a basement you could install a couple of air vents with filters, and then seal all the cracks around the foundation to keep out ash. Theoretically we could get six feet to Chicago and beyond, or so I've heard, so a snow shovel might be a good idea.

It won't destroy the country, and it sure as hell won't destroy the world. There will be survivors. I get the feeling that the eruption of yellowstone could be the fire before the new growth of progress. We can come out the other side of this thing a highly sophisticated technological meritocracy that cares for all its citizens, or we can not come out at all.

It will depend entirely on our behavior. Life is nothing if not fair.

posted on Jan, 10 2006 @ 11:27 PM
link   
Which will come first, Yellowstone or New Madrid? Which would be worse?' And suppose we get them both?

I would lay in a supply of that powdered butter and set up to grow mushrooms. Make a lot of beef jerky and dry everything I can get my hands on. That leaves water. I am storing up water using gallon Clorox jugs, they add up and they are sterile.

Its hard to understand there are people who don't keep enough food in their home for even a week.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join