It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WAR: Australia Foils Terror Plot, Makes 15 Arrests

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 7 2005 @ 03:16 PM
link   
Australia made 15 arrests in counter-terror raids in Sydney and Melbourne today. Those arrested are suspected of having been in the final stages of planning a major terrorist attack within the country, although the specific target is not yet known. The arrests were the culmination of a three-year investigation into the terror group.

www.abc.net.au
Police say that 15 arrests have been made during a series of counter-terrorism raids in Sydney and Melbourne early today.

New South Wales Police Commissioner Moroney says more than 400 police officers have been involved in raids on 15 homes in south-western Sydney.

He says they have arrested six men in Sydney and nine men in Victoria, who are alleged to be planning a terrorist attack in Australia.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

It's good to see another terror plot foiled by good police work. Let's hope that all plots will be uncovered in a similar manner.

posted on Nov, 7 2005 @ 03:46 PM
link   
Perhaps I am alone on this here, but I refuse to believe this is "good" until WHY they were arrested is made clear and I don't mean someone just SAYING they were gonna do something. Please, spare me.
That in itself carries no weight with me, what's the big secret ? for Heavens sake, how is this now acceptable ?
I mean how do U make an arrest when what they are actually being charged for doesn't actually exist ... show us some proof of the "alleged" plot and then I'll applaud their goodworks, until then I shall remain non-committal on this and continue to disapprove our government's actions of late ... because as they stand right now, it's a load of utter garbage.

U know what this looks like to me? A plot of their own to be able to lock up an arab, for no reason at all, whenever they want, that's all. And I think they may just succeed at the rate they are going and the way the public is so accepting of ridiculuous laws such as this.
And now when these arrested men call their lawyer they can't even tell them why they are there or what they have been arrested for ... wait a second, nobody does! Isn't this great ?

It's almost like they WANT a sequel to the France riots to happen here and that seems to be about the only thing they are doing right, making the odds of that increase.

Until both cultures understand how the other thinks, there will be no end to this BS. Alot of people fail to realize they will never understand why (some of) these Muslims act the way they do with a Westernized mind ... and no I do not speak for the extremists, they can rot in hell for all I care, but even those who riot, it is out of desperation more so than just plain anger if U ask me.

I cannot express my impatience and joy at the thought of leaving this Godforsaken country.

[edit on 7-11-2005 by ImJaded]

posted on Nov, 7 2005 @ 04:29 PM
link   
jaded, I agree , just not about the leaving the country part.
How can we accept people being arrested for crimes when they wont even say what the crime was, nor that there was even a plot for a crime.

I see this modern term "terrorist" being thrown around like the term "witch" was a few hundred years ago.
This is the salem witch hunts all over again.
Your neighbor pours bleach on your lawn, he's a terrorist.
Kids are setting off fireworks in an alley and it keeps you awake at night, they must be terrorists.

The scariest thing to me is this one line
"alleged to be planning"
What does that mean?

You cant buy fireworks because you might use them for terrorist means?

I understand that catching these guys was the result of a 3 year search.
Think about it, how long does it take to come up with a terrorist plot?

"hmmm, lets go blow something up"
2 seconds

Ok, thats a little simplified, but if the fact reamins that they didnt release much info as to why they were arrested other than they were talking about doing something.

This worries me because it sets the stage to arrest anyone and not need any reason other than they "might be a terrorist"

So instead of tossing them in watter to see if they float, we are arresting them and putting them on trial.

Its the same thing.
What needs to be done is find some serious hard evidence that ties them to anything.
According to this article nothing of that nature exists.
Simply a "3 year investigation".

My opinion, if in 3 years these guys didn't pull anything I doubt they will ever pull anything.

What we need to do is instead of leave and run from our problems, confront them and change them.
This is our country and we have the power to take it back from those we put in power! (I'm refering to the USA, but same story for any other nation, free or not) The power of a nation is with its people.

We do not serve the government.
The government serves us!
We the people.

posted on Nov, 7 2005 @ 04:33 PM
link   
The question is: why have they not raised the terror level if those guys where doing something BIG?

posted on Nov, 7 2005 @ 04:47 PM
link   
Great, they've foiled a suspected terrorist plot, take them to jail, charge them, put the evidence infront of a judge and jury and try the bastards. If these people fall off the face of the Earth and we never hear about them again we will all suffer.

Dont buy the lies that our criminal and justice systems cannot handle the modern terrorist threat. That is rubbish!

posted on Nov, 7 2005 @ 04:52 PM
link   
They have foiled nothing till a Jury convict these people of a crime.

Every time you arrest someone, they are not guilty because of the Police taking them in.

It is up to a Court to decide this, although I see that changing in the near future...

posted on Nov, 7 2005 @ 04:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Odium

If they were going to do anything soon, as claimed, it's been pretty well foiled IMHO since they'll be in jail awaiting trial instead of setting off bombs.

posted on Nov, 7 2005 @ 04:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by djohnsto77

Originally posted by Odium

If they were going to do anything soon, as claimed, it's been pretty well foiled IMHO since they'll be in jail awaiting trial instead of setting off bombs.

Or just arrested people, made a massive 'news event' to help with the new legislation.

posted on Nov, 7 2005 @ 05:20 PM
link   
"Asked if bombings had been planned, Moroney said, "Certainly so."

Chemicals that, when mixed, could have made a bomb, were confiscated, he said."

And

"Those arrested "don't appear to belong to an organization by name, per se," but the two groups were closely connected, Moroney said."

link edition.cnn.com...

sorry I don't know the way to put these up properly lol
but does anybody else see anything wrong with this quote ?

Anybody can purchase "chemicals that when mixed could make a bomb" U moron-ey and they don't "Appear" to belong to the terrorist organization but U arrested themanyway right ?

I'm done *sigh*

[edit on 7-11-2005 by ImJaded]

posted on Nov, 7 2005 @ 05:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by ImJaded
Anybody can purchase "chemicals that when mixed could make a bomb"

Apparently. They say the bombs used in the London bombings were made using easily available off-the-shelf chemicals.

posted on Nov, 7 2005 @ 05:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by djohnsto77

Originally posted by ImJaded
Anybody can purchase "chemicals that when mixed could make a bomb"

Apparently. They say the bombs used in the London bombings were made using easily available off-the-shelf chemicals.

The stuff I use to clean my toilet, when boiled becomes an explosive.

In fact, the stuff a majority of people have in their home can be made into an explosive if you know how. The internet can give you that information.

Thus all you need is, chemicals and the access to the internet for the Government to make this claim. It's like the British Government and our Police Force.

Over 900 arrests for terrorism and 3 convictions.

That's what I call good work.

posted on Nov, 7 2005 @ 05:36 PM
link   
That's it.

I'm getting rid of all my cleaning supplies and I'm NEVER doing housework again. I do not want to be arrested and accused of terrorism.

posted on Nov, 7 2005 @ 05:38 PM
link   
This is a horse and pony show.

Clue No. 1: The press were alerted before each raid.
This is important because due to Australia's terror laws, if you are visited by Police for a Terrorist related matter, arrested, raided or just questioned - It's against the law to talk about it to anyone other than your lawyer.

If a house gets raided for 'Terror related matters' and the press are their filming it. When the cops leave and the press come knocking on your door, filming a silent person standing there not able to answer back, it's because if that person does they can be put in jail for 5 years - even if they are TOTALLY innoncent of any crime.

This is how the police and the media work together to create the illusion of doing something. They can make an example of you and YOU CAN NOT TALK ABOUT IT.

Welcome to the 'new world'.

posted on Nov, 7 2005 @ 05:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by soficrow
That's it.

I'm getting rid of all my cleaning supplies and I'm NEVER doing housework again. I do not want to be arrested and accused of terrorism.

Well if U live in Australia they can arrest U for it now. Guess we're gonna be the "smelly" country, like the smelly kid at school, now too

posted on Nov, 7 2005 @ 05:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by soficrow
That's it.

Exactly! Because you know it won't be long until those darn bacteria start complaining about weapons of mass destruction. Those darn chlorine bleach and ammonia kill those little buggers by the millions in one swipe of the cleaning rag.

posted on Nov, 7 2005 @ 05:46 PM
link   
THe news just said:

The men are all fathers with kids.
They HAVE NOT been charged with planning a terrorist attack.
They HAVE BEEN charged with being part of a terrorist group but the terrorist groups name and the link has not been devulged.

They are being made obvious examples. This is the profiling we heard would happen before these laws passed.

If there's enough of a public stink about this, ASIO will blow something up in Sydney. Thats the next step in this.

posted on Nov, 7 2005 @ 05:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheShroudOfMemphis

This is a horse and pony show.

Clue No. 1: The press were alerted before each raid.
This is important because due to Australia's terror laws, if you are visited by Police for a Terrorist related matter, arrested, raided or just questioned - It's against the law to talk about it to anyone other than your lawyer.

If a house gets raided for 'Terror related matters' and the press are their filming it. When the cops leave and the press come knocking on your door, filming a silent person standing there not able to answer back, it's because if that person does they can be put in jail for 5 years - even if they are TOTALLY innoncent of any crime.

This is how the police and the media work together to create the illusion of doing something. They can make an example of you and YOU CAN NOT TALK ABOUT IT.

Welcome to the 'new world'.

Shroud, you're so on point my friend ... and this is exactly why I am so mad at this being allowed.

posted on Nov, 7 2005 @ 06:15 PM
link   
I realize that many of you responding here are from Australia, so you will have more and newer info than is covered in this thread. But I don't see how you get from here:

Police say that 15 arrests have been made during a series of counter-terrorism raids in Sydney and Melbourne early today.

New South Wales Police Commissioner Moroney says more than 400 police officers have been involved in raids on 15 homes in south-western Sydney.

He says they have arrested six men in Sydney, who are alleged to be planning a terrorist attack in Australia.

"They're currently being interviewed by police and my expectation is that they will appear in Sydney courts this morning," he said.

Nine people have been taken into custody in Victoria.

It is understood the group may have been in the process of acquiring a range of chemicals that could have been used to conduct an attack.

Commissioner Moroney says a terrorist attack has been foiled.

"I am satisfied that we have disrupted what I would regard as the final stages of a terrorist attack or the launch of a terrorist attack in Australia," he said.

The planned target of the attack is not known.

The Commissioner says the raids are the result of a three-year investigation.

Melbourne lawyer Rob Stary says eight of those charged in Victoria are largely accused of membership offences.

"This is important - they're not charged with any covert conduct," he said.

"In other words, they're not charged with engaging in planning or preparation of any terrorist offence - they're simply charged with membership offences."

To here

U know what this looks like to me? A plot of their own to be able to lock up an arab, for no reason at all, whenever they want, that's all.

I didn't see any info in the article that would identify these guys at all.

posted on Nov, 7 2005 @ 06:16 PM
link   
And the London play book is being followed to the letter....

What's important here is that Australian Police RARELY shoot at anyone, only if their life is threatened are they allowed to shoot. Last week's new 'anti-terror laws' changed all that.

The media want to tie this up with the Terror raids as it occured in one of the areas of the raids. It will be interesting to see more of this shooting, who was shot, what they were doing, was it part of the raids, was the shooting warrented under our old laws? etc.

NSW Police Commissioner Ken Moroney confirmed the shooting in Green Valley, but did not know if the incident was connected to terrorist raids.

"You can understand that this has only occurred a short time ago (and) the linkages relevant to these particular matters need to be firmly established," Mr Moroney said.

Ambulance officers arrived at the scene of the shooting in Wilson Rd just before 9am.

The man, aged about 20, had suffered a gunshot wound to his upper body, around his neck and shoulders.

He was taken to Liverpool Hospital in a serious but stable condition.
www.news.com.au...

posted on Nov, 7 2005 @ 06:18 PM
link   
Oh gosh.. I am Psychic again.. I said last week they would have the "token" arrest and I also said the press would be there to record it all..

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join