It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WAR: Australia Foils Terror Plot, Makes 15 Arrests

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 7 2005 @ 06:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by djohnsto77
If they were going to do anything soon, as claimed, it's been pretty well foiled IMHO since they'll be in jail awaiting trial instead of setting off bombs.

Yeah better safe then sorry and this may have saved some the lifes of some of our Austrailian members. Why some people say the war on terrorists will not work is beyond me:shk:

posted on Nov, 7 2005 @ 06:26 PM
link   
To here

U know what this looks like to me? A plot of their own to be able to lock up an arab, for no reason at all, whenever they want, that's all.

I didn't see any info in the article that would identify these guys at all.

And I understand why U pointed this out, sorry I didn't make mention of this earlier.
Another interesting part of this is that the media reporting in the links I have seen so far (CNN etc...) have conviniently left the arrested men's race out of their reportings, it was all over our news this morning and they did mention the men are of Middle Eastern descent.

Also this man who got shot I don't doubt is Lebanese as Sydney's west has a large arab presence, largely Lebanese and well, it's no secret the police there don't like them and they do cause alot of grief for the police.
Punish them for doing wrong, fair enough, but shooting them ? gimme a break. If a police officer cannot use necessary actions other than shooting him IN THE NECK then I think he should re-think his occupation.

I thought cops were trained to disarm armed men without causing fatalities? or has that now changed too ? lol

[edit on 7-11-2005 by ImJaded]

posted on Nov, 7 2005 @ 06:29 PM
link   
Where have we heard this before???

POLICE have shot and wounded a terrorist suspect who allegedly opened fire on them this morning after he disobeyed an order to stop on a Sydney street.
Unconfirmed reports say the man had been under surveillance by counter-terrorist police and was carrying a backpack when ordered to stop by police.
www.news.com.au...

No this isn't London, this is Australia and has occured in concert with new harsh 'counter-terrorism' laws which were passed last week.

posted on Nov, 7 2005 @ 10:26 PM
link   

Another interesting part of this is that the media reporting in the links I have seen so far (CNN etc...) have conviniently left the arrested men's race out of their reportings, it was all over our news this morning and they did mention the men are of Middle Eastern descent.

Not only that, but the first I heard of the shooting was here on ATS. But then again, today has been wacko for me anyway.

posted on Nov, 7 2005 @ 10:49 PM
link   
Well one of the News shows here (I think it's Chan 9) are doing a special on the raids, and on the previews it showed the police out their house at night just after the raids and when the suspects were in the car.
So the media was there before the raid??

posted on Nov, 7 2005 @ 11:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nventual
Well one of the News shows here (I think it's Chan 9) are doing a special on the raids, and on the previews it showed the police out their house at night just after the raids and when the suspects were in the car.
So the media was there before the raid??

On the morning news the Anchor lady let that slip, i think it was Channel 7 who are the big government friendly terror news outlet.

She said '...and our cameras where there to film the raids in Sydney & Melbourne'.

Now, they may have been able to arrive to one of the raids with a tip off by neighbours, maybe but i highly doubt the press were able to organise teams to different raids in different states without prior knowledge.

I posted earlier in this thread about Terror laws making it impossible for family and those questioned by Police over terror matters to speak publically. You face a 5 year prison term for talking publically.

This is why the Police notify the press first. This is why these types of events should be looked at with a very skeptical eye. There's no reason why the Police need the media there unless it's to shut people up legally which helps add guilt before any kind of trial and evidence is needed to be produced.

posted on Nov, 8 2005 @ 12:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by ImJaded
Punish them for doing wrong, fair enough, but shooting them ? gimme a break. If a police officer cannot use necessary actions other than shooting him IN THE NECK then I think he should re-think his occupation.

I thought cops were trained to disarm armed men without causing fatalities? or has that now changed too ? lol

Just be glad that you don't live in the U.S. where the cops will bust a cap in your ass just for looking at them funny.

It's a good thing we're also allowed to have guns. And now that the Brady bill is lifted, we can all have assault rifles
, it's even legal for us to have grenade launchers attached to our assault rifles (though owning grenades is still illegal for some reason)...

posted on Nov, 8 2005 @ 12:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheShroudOfMemphis
I posted earlier in this thread about Terror laws making it impossible for family and those questioned by Police over terror matters to speak publically. You face a 5 year prison term for talking publically.

This is why the Police notify the press first. This is why these types of events should be looked at with a very skeptical eye. There's no reason why the Police need the media there unless it's to shut people up legally which helps add guilt before any kind of trial and evidence is needed to be produced.

I think the non-disclosure law only applies to Preventative Detention Orders, but I could be mistaken. However, this does not make the media's apparently pre-informed status any less supicious.

posted on Nov, 8 2005 @ 12:39 AM
link   
Well well well, this is just absolutely disturbing.

Exactly why is it the police keep saying, "These arrests would never have been possible without the new anti-terror legislation" ?

Maybe it's because before that came in it wasn't possible to arrest people for no good reason?

Let alone the whole thing being a theatre act, what with the media being called to film the arrests and everything.

The scary thing is, most people coming home from work and putting on the news in about 20 minutes time are going to actually think there are bombs planted everywhere, terrorists are running wild, and John Howard is their ultimate super hero.

posted on Nov, 8 2005 @ 12:55 AM
link   
Shoot them all

They dont deserve to live

posted on Nov, 8 2005 @ 12:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by ShakyaHeir

Just be glad that you don't live in the U.S. where the cops will bust a cap in your ass just for looking at them funny.

At least it's in your ass and not your neck!

Wow Jezza, that's a realistic and intelligent solution

[edit on 8-11-2005 by ImJaded]

posted on Nov, 8 2005 @ 12:59 AM
link   
Ahem, I guess the fact that in one raid a suspect started shooting at police and wounded one, means they are innocent.
Hell one of them was smirking in court when they were playing a taped conversation of him saying he wanted to be the 1st suicide bomber

Gee, they sound innocent LMAO.

Open your eyes people, this isn't the X-Files and FEMA LOL.

Oh BTW, Kim Beazley and all the state premiers who are from the Labour Party, supported the actions taken today.

posted on Nov, 8 2005 @ 01:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by rogue1
Ahem, I guess the fact that in one raid a suspect started shooting at police and wounded one, means they are innocent.
Hell one of them was smirking in court when they were playing a taped conversation of him saying he wanted to be the 1st suicide bomber

Gee, they sound innocent LMAO.

Open your eyes people, this isn't the X-Files and FEMA LOL.

Oh BTW, Kim Beazley and all the state premiers who are from the Labour Party, supported the actions taken today.

I don't recall anybody claiming they were innocent in any of these posts, I most certainly did not. We are discussing the actions taken and these new "anti-terror laws". Let's stay on topic and keep it civilized eh ?

posted on Nov, 8 2005 @ 01:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by ShakyaHeir

At least it's in your ass and not your neck!

Wow Jezza, that's a realistic and intelligent solution

Yeah and deport their families too

posted on Nov, 8 2005 @ 01:15 AM
link   
ANYWAY ...
for those who can keep up, I just saw this on one of Melbourne's most-read, most BS-filled newspapers and they are now claiming they were actually planning to star a "holy War" or "Jihad"
as if they could.
Look, the names they showed are infamous, it was only a matter of time before the government targeted them.

And they expect us to eat this up ? smh

www.heraldsun.news.com.au...

And I just saw a Senator (didn't catch her name, they just flash them U know lol) on the TV discounting PM John Coward's "predictions" and questioning all this also ... nice to see we're not all blindly believing the verbal diaheorrea spewing out of his mouth

Oh and I may have been on point about the rioting, the neighbours are already acting up over this ...

posted on Nov, 8 2005 @ 01:24 AM
link   

And I just saw a Senator (didn't catch her name, they just flash them U know lol) on the TV discounting PM John Coward's "predictions" and questioning all this also ... nice to see we're not all blindly believing the verbal diaheorrea spewing out of his mouth

LMAO, that was a Democrat Senator, desperately trying to cling to some relevency for her party. I noticed she seemed very unsure of herself and half apologised after she'd said it LOL.

Even Bob Brown ( no doubt one of your heros ) didn't say it was a government plot.

I have no doubt you'll hvae egg on your face over the next week or two as mre facts come out. Can't wait for your grovelling apology

posted on Nov, 8 2005 @ 01:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by rogue1

Exactly, I'm so sick of people making the agressors out to be the victims and blaming the police/government when they do exactly what our tax dollars pay them to do. Maybe we should try to understand why they want to kill us, perhaps if we stop "supporting" Israel, pull our troops out of Iraq, declare war on the great satan, ban christmas and pray to allah every day they will stop trying to kill us. Even if we did all that i doubt they would stop, unfortuantly there are people in the world that are hateful/violent and will always find reasons to justify their violence regardless of what you do.

posted on Nov, 8 2005 @ 01:31 AM
link   
What exactly will I be apologizing for ?
Are we all on the same subject here ?

Just to clarify though for the members who just joined us .... I have not nor will I ever "take up" for the people we are discussing nor do I condone any act of terror, but this was not even that, this is "profiling" and U all just lay down anad accept it because people are different to U. Bravo to U
so U can quit putting words in anyone's font ok ? k.

Oh and thanks to those killing the thread with the racist & ignorant comments.
Next time try reading the entire thread THEN pull down your pants to speak (type)

And please believe nobody who resides in this racist ass country is a hero of mine

I'm done. Enjoy

posted on Nov, 8 2005 @ 01:32 AM
link   
Try not to confuse the issue here, no one is on the terrorists side here for crying out loud. What we object to is the draconian laws the government are telling everyone we need to protect this country from terrorism. It is completely and utterly false. We already had laws that could stop terrorists (even before they've planned an attack). They could be charged with conspiracy to commit murder, attempted murder, treason, obtaining hazardous materials etc.

When the government tells you we need laws to allow for the arrest of people and provide no evidence to a court and to have the whole thing made secret you morons buy it hook, line and sinker! What is the practical purpose of laws like those contained in the new Anti-Terrorism Act? NONE!

posted on Nov, 8 2005 @ 01:48 AM
link   
I know what these laws are very well and i voted Liberal at the last election in the hope that they would make laws like these (among other things). Regardless of what you think things have changed in the world in the last 5 years and many of our 200 year old laws were lax and just didn't cut it, especially when i comes to all the new technology that has been created since. You had a chance to vote for the soft on terrorists Labor government last election, so stop whining about the fact that most Australians had enough sense to vote for a government that would make sure it's citizen were protected.

[edit on 8-11-2005 by Sabre262]

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join