It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hurricane Rita ( Bad News For Gulf )

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 20 2005 @ 08:25 AM
link   
You were right. It is official Hurricane Rita has sustained winds of 75 mph. It will be noted on the 11am update at NOAA

posted on Sep, 20 2005 @ 09:53 AM
link   
got a good size feeder band coming in right now...very gusty winds, heavy rain and the power has flicked on and off twice now. I'll be shutting down the pc before another surge happens.

radar.weather.gov...

posted on Sep, 20 2005 @ 09:55 AM
link   
Good luck WW!!

posted on Sep, 20 2005 @ 09:57 AM
link   
before I go, the worst for the keys is about to begin, parts of US1 in the keys are under water, roads are impassable and now closed.

you can watch live coverage here
www.nbc6.net...

posted on Sep, 20 2005 @ 09:59 AM
link   
People are starting to get all bent out of shape here in Houston.

I say bring on the hurricane. It can't come soon enough. The heat and humidity has been so oppressive for so long that we need a cooldown. I for one am looking forward to it.

Peace

posted on Sep, 20 2005 @ 10:30 AM
link   
WW we wish you the best. Hope you can stay online to keep us informed.

Here is the 11 am Update Winds sustained at 85 mph and pressure dropped to 982 mb. From all the News Casts its getting bad down there good luck to all in that area.

[edit on 20-9-2005 by Harry55]

posted on Sep, 20 2005 @ 10:57 AM
link   
Fun fact, there are only 4 more storm names left for this season.

posted on Sep, 20 2005 @ 11:41 AM
link   
The heavy squall has moved on, I still have power (yeah!!!) right now constant light rain, windy but not as bad as before...it's actually gotten brighter outside.

posted on Sep, 20 2005 @ 11:51 AM
link   
Hope I'm wrong, but I think this one will build up strongly as it enters the gulf........good luck to every one and try to be safe - good luck to you all in the Keys as well!

posted on Sep, 20 2005 @ 12:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dr Love
I say bring on the hurricane. It can't come soon enough. The heat and humidity has been so oppressive for so long that we need a cooldown. I for one am looking forward to it.

Dr Love -- a hurricane doesn't guarantee a cool down -- Have known it to be hotter and more humid after them so watch what you wish for. Plus if you lose power you don't have your fans or ac to deal with the hot and humid weather.

I have to say I am really glad my niece and her DH left Key West a few years ago especially now that they have a week old baby who would have had to evacuate with them

edit for spelling mistake that I caught -- might not have seen them all though

[edit on 20-9-2005 by justme1640]

posted on Sep, 20 2005 @ 12:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by maldives01
Hope I'm wrong, but I think this one will build up strongly as it enters the gulf........good luck to every one and try to be safe - good luck to you all in the Keys as well!

I agree. I do not think it is strong enough now, but will be later in the week... It depends on the sea temperature and how it goes on...

WW good luck. I am sure you´ll be Ok.

posted on Sep, 20 2005 @ 12:14 PM
link   
Keep looking and looking and it looks like Texas to me........what strength was Katrina when it exited Florida? Built up pretty strongly afterwards didnt it? Not much land in the keys to calm it down, and theres lots of warm water.......hope I'm wrong.

posted on Sep, 20 2005 @ 12:21 PM
link   
She's now a Cat 2:

DATA FROM A NOAA PLANE INDICATE THAT RITA HAS REACHED 100 MH WINDS
AND IS NOW A CATEGORY TWO HURRICANE ON THE SAFFIR/SIMPSON HURRICANE
SCALE. THIS WILL BE REFLECTED IN A SPECIAL ADVISORY AT 2 PM EDT.

FORECASTER AVILA

www.nhc.noaa.gov...

Wow, she's growing fast now, very similar to the way Katrina did.

posted on Sep, 20 2005 @ 12:26 PM
link   
now that sounds about right, the pressure wasn't matching up to the category.. I think Rita will be a Cat 3 at landfall.

posted on Sep, 20 2005 @ 12:27 PM
link   
Glad you are ok world watcher . Here we go. Everyone better watch this one. The eye is to pass just south of Keys around 3pm edt.

[edit on 20-9-2005 by Harry55]

posted on Sep, 20 2005 @ 12:28 PM
link   
Exactly! Got a bad feeling - nothing specific, just a feeling. Really hope it's wrong. How are the Keys - anyone heard?

posted on Sep, 20 2005 @ 12:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by worldwatcher
now that sounds about right, the pressure wasn't matching up to the category.. I think Rita will be a Cat 3 at landfall.

I think the gulf waters are so warm, it will become a 5, and will hit at a hard 4 or 5.

posted on Sep, 20 2005 @ 12:38 PM
link   
If my memory is right Katrina increased very quickly from a cat. 2 to a cat. 5 because of the high sea temperature.

I think there is a high probability that this can happen again. They should be thinking on how to avoid the damage and the loss of lives... But the most important thing: do they know where it will make landfall?

posted on Sep, 20 2005 @ 12:41 PM
link   
Looks like Cuba is getting some too

www.goes.noaa.gov...

It is getting large and moving relatively fast which I would think indicates lots of energy in there. Checked the link to NBC6 showing live coverage. ( Thanks World Watcher! ) Hope you're doing OK!

posted on Sep, 20 2005 @ 12:44 PM
link   
She only needs to pick up 7 mph wind speed at this point to be a 3, winds are 103 needs to be 110 to be a 3. With no real land mass to disrupt it, she going to be a big.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join