It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WAR: U.S. Forces Raid Insurgent Chemical Plant

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 13 2005 @ 12:18 PM
link   
U.S. forces raided a chemical plant apparently run by insurgents in Iraq. It's still unclear what type of chemicals were being produced nor how they'd be used. It will take several days to determine if any chemical or biological weapons were being manufactured at the site. Similar sites have been found in the past, but were determined to not have been used to create dangerous chemicals.

seattlepi.nwsource.com
BAGHDAD, Iraq -- U.S. forces raided an insurgent facility that may have been producing an unspecified type of chemicals, the U.S. military said Saturday. It was unclear what was being produced or whether the materials were intended for weapons, the statement added.

U.S. troops, acting on a tip from detainees under interrogation, raided a "suspected insurgent chemical production facility" in northern Iraq last Tuesday, the statement said, without specifying the location.

However, the military cautioned that ongoing testing at the facility was "insufficient to determine what the insurgents had been producing." The military said it also was investigating which insurgent group was operating the facility.

The military has found many suspected chemical sites in the past, none of which ended up containing chemical or biological weapons. Testing of such sites can take several days.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

If this site was truly being run by the Iraqi insurgent terrorists, I can't imagine that they'd be creating harmless chemicals. I suspect it's either chemicals for bomb making or perhaps more worrisome some type of chemical weapon.

[edit on 8/13/2005 by djohnsto77]

posted on Aug, 13 2005 @ 12:31 PM
link   
This is a second or third such occurance?
If I remember correctly, a chemical facility or lab was found in Fallujah after the US and Iraqi campaign to remove or push insurgents from there back in late 2004.

seekerof

posted on Aug, 13 2005 @ 01:43 PM
link   
Darn DJ beat me to another story!!!!!!

What I find odd about this is the fact they found this cache on Tuesday and it is just making the news media today.

Cover up

posted on Aug, 13 2005 @ 01:56 PM
link   
I think the military usually takes a couple of days before releasing such information.

posted on Aug, 13 2005 @ 02:19 PM
link   
What made them "insurgents" other than they were raided? If I was producing even illegal drugs, being raided by US forces would not make me an insurgent. What is this "news"??

posted on Aug, 13 2005 @ 02:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by djohnsto77
I think the military usually takes a couple of days before releasing such information.

I understand that but I thought the media had reporters embedded with our troops. Have changed that policy so that this is no longer allowed?

posted on Aug, 13 2005 @ 02:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by shots
I understand that but I thought the media had reporters embedded with our troops. Have changed that policy so that this is no longer allowed?

There are still embedded journalists, but not for every mission.

posted on Aug, 13 2005 @ 03:48 PM
link   
djohnsto77,
I seriously doubt that this newly found mini-site will yield anything other than what has been mentioned in various articles.
A such, what does need to be watched if something is detected or mentioned as revealed or found is the current sacred mantra that is being proclaimed regarding terrorists and Iraq:

'There were no WMDs in Iraq till the US and Coalition invaded Iraq.'

Along the same lines as:
'There were no terrorists in Iraq till the US and Coalition invaded Iraq.'

seekerof

[edit on 13-8-2005 by Seekerof]

posted on Aug, 13 2005 @ 03:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Seekerof
'There were no WMDs in Iraq till the US and Coalition invaded Iraq.'

Along the same lines as:
'There were no terrorists in Iraq till the US and Coalition invaded Iraq.'

I'm sure there were no Nazis in Germany until the U.K. declared war on them either...

[edit on 8/13/2005 by djohnsto77]

posted on Aug, 13 2005 @ 03:58 PM
link   
Sounds like more horse #.

posted on Aug, 13 2005 @ 04:06 PM
link   
The Washington Post is now reporting that chemicals found were indeed precursors to dangerous chemical weapons and were quite dangerous just by themselves:

Washington Post
BAGHDAD, Aug. 13 -- U.S. troops raiding a warehouse in the northern city of Mosul uncovered a suspected chemical-weapons factory containing 1,500 gallons of chemicals believed destined for attacks on U.S. and Iraqi forces and civilians, military officials said Saturday.

Monday's early morning raid found 11 precursor agents, "some of them quite dangerous by themselves," a military spokesman, Lt. Col. Steven A. Boylan, said in Baghdad.

Combined, the chemicals would yield an agent capable of "lingering hazards" for those exposed to it, Boylan said. The likely targets would have been "coalition and Iraqi security forces, and Iraqi civilians," in part owing to the difficulty anyone deploying the chemicals would have had in keeping the agents from spreading out over a wide area, he said.

Military officials did not immediately identify either the precursors or the agent they could have produced. "We don't want to speculate on any possibilities until our analysis is complete," Col. Henry Franke, a nuclear, biological and chemical defense officer, was quoted as saying in a military statement.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

posted on Aug, 13 2005 @ 04:17 PM
link   
This is nothing new. I'm willing to bet all they uncovered was a bomb manufacturing plant. The type of bombs the "insurgents" are making are high yeild explosives. And most, if not all bombs, need chemicals to manufacture.

"lingering hazards"

Yeah, a roadside bomb is a lingering hazard if you ask me.

IMO, they're twisting this to make it sound much worse then it may be.

Then again, I could be way off on my assumptions, maybe they were making some chemical-warfare stuff.. chances are, the most me and you will ever know is:

"Military officials did not immediately identify either the precursors or the agent they could have produced. "We don't want to speculate on any possibilities until our analysis is complete,"

And when the analysis is complete, we'd of all but forgotten

posted on Aug, 14 2005 @ 05:49 AM
link   
This reminds me - A few years ago , a huge cache of drums were found - and declared to the world as a major find in the hunt on WMD`s - well , it was until the third or forth group of journalists looked at the drums , being displayed by an officer (US Army i think); And a journalist pointed out that they contained persticide - which can be bought in walmart!!

Nothing more heard on that `find` after that!!

Same as this one i fear - this will be nothing more than chemicals that can be bought on corner shops

posted on Aug, 14 2005 @ 05:57 AM
link   
"Boylan said the materials did not appear to be linked to Saddam Hussein's ousted regime."

For anyone who was hoping for proof of Saddam's chemical weapons, this isn't it. It is still a worrying prospect if these chemicals do turn out to be something really bad.

Any word on what substance these could be used for manucturing yet?

[edit on 14-8-2005 by AceOfBase]

posted on Aug, 14 2005 @ 06:32 AM
link   
In this day and age, fertilizer can be used to make a bomb. Chemicals is a very vague term. If people want to kill, they can make a bomb out of kitchen products. Common ingredents alone maybe innocent, but in mass, with other stuff, watch out.

top topics

join