It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Grieving Mother's Campaign Against Bush's War

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 14 2005 @ 12:34 PM
link   
centurion1211,

You seem to miss the sheer magnitude of the imbalance of scale involved.

Bush has umpteen dozen handlers, uses hundreds of millions of dollars of taxpayer money to hype his agenda. Uses the entire military to hide behind.

Even going so far as to out US citizens from a taxpayer paid for town meeting buy having a political operative fraudulently pose as a Secret Service agent, turning it into a taxpayer funded meeting purely for his political agenda.

posted on Aug, 14 2005 @ 12:37 PM
link   
that's what Cindy Sheehan is doing and I say more power to her.
Her courageous Crawford stand is galvanizing opposition to the war
and awakening America to the senseless tragedy that is Iraq.

Best of all she's attracting world-wide attention, spotlighting the coward Bush and his gang of thugs.

This is what all Americans should be doing as you surely have been duped. The more you learn, how can you not? What is wrong with you, people?

Keep up the good fight, Cindy....you make sure that Casey's death wasn't for naught.

Freedom and Faith

Cindy Sheehan featured on Democracy Now!

posted on Aug, 14 2005 @ 12:46 PM
link   
Bush has had over 2 years to make something of this mess in Iraq, that he led this nation into with lies about aluminum rocket tubes.
He has had Hundreds of millions of dollars in campaign money,
he uses Hundreds of Billions of dollars of taxpayer money selling this mess and hiding behind the US military.

One woman who's son's life was squandered by him and his greedy corporate low-life conspirators stands in the ditch and won't back down.

I don't know you Cindy Sheehan, but i love you.
You are the heart and soul of humanity.

She is asking the simple and extremely relevant question:
Why have so many people had to die in Iraq?

Just what is the damn reason.

posted on Aug, 14 2005 @ 01:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by slank
centurion1211,

You seem to miss the sheer magnitude of the imbalance of scale involved.

Bush has umpteen dozen handlers, uses hundreds of millions of dollars of taxpayer money to hype his agenda. Uses the entire military to hide behind.

And how many "handlers" does Mrs. Sheehan have now? You know, the ones telling her to say things like Israel get out of palestine? That's the point of this that you so easily ignore ---- to further your personal agenda. I say to you, quit using this poor woman!

Buy a mirror so perhaps you'll be able to see that you are what you accuse others of being.

posted on Aug, 14 2005 @ 01:51 PM
link   

Anti-war protestor Cindy Sheehan, whose soldier son Casey was killed in Iraq, is calling for Bush's "impeachment," and for Israel to get out of Palestine!

"You get America out of Iraq and Israel out of Palestine and you'll stop the terrorism," Sheehan declares.

Sheehan, who is asking for a second meeting with President Bush, says defiantly: "My son was killed in 2004. I am not paying my taxes for 2004. You killed my son, George Bush, and I don't owe you a penny...you give my son back and I'll pay my taxes. Come after me (for back taxes) and we'll put this war on trial."

"And now I'm going to use another 'I' word - impeachment - because we cannot have these people pardoned. They need to be tried on war crimes and go to jail."

The 48-year-old California mom remains tented up in a ditch along the one-lane road that leads to Bush's Texas ranch.

As her protest entered its second week, hundreds of people with conflicting opinions about the war in Iraq descended on the area.

TIME mag reports in new editions on Monday: Sheehan gets support from her surviving son, Andy, in principle, but he recently sent her a long e-mail imploring her, "to come home because you need to support us at home."

This lady, "screaming from the hill top" is doing nothing for the soldiers in Iraq, and her son would be ashamed. extra DIV

posted on Aug, 14 2005 @ 03:18 PM
link   
Having lost a son recently, I can understand some of her reactions. My son committed suicide due to a break up of his marriage and the separation from his children. His wife flaunted an affair, or gave him the impression of an affair, to "run him off".

At the time of the funeral, I didn't want any animosity towards her by friends or family due to the fact that he loved her very much.

My son made the choice, however, after several months, I can't help but want to know why she chose such a harsh method to gain the desired result of separation.

Was her freedom worth my son's life in her opinion. She knew he would commit suicide if separated from her and his children, yet she put her interest first. I want to know, was it worth it? I want to understand how a person's life can be no more than a means to an end.

War is war, I understand that, there are casualties of war, I understand that. But if your son is dead, it would be at the very least, decent to be told for what honest reason if that is the question on your heart.

I, for one, don't want other mothers to have to go through the pain of this loss if they don't have too.

Yes, Cindy, I feel your pain....and though answers won't bring your son back, at least it may give some validity to his life. I'm with you.

posted on Aug, 14 2005 @ 04:11 PM
link   
The last thing I will say in this thread is. . . as a mother of two children. . . I don't even dare to imagine the pain a mother can have or feel in her hart at the lost of a child.

Only a mother that had lost a child has the power and right to say how it feels.

Even the thought of me losing one of mine is enough to drive me into despair.

But if I ever lose a child because he was defending our country under false pretenses after all I have learn about Mr. Bush war, I will be in Texas too, finding and demanding answers.

That much I know, and that much I am capable of, in grief.

posted on Aug, 14 2005 @ 04:18 PM
link   
.....all despite knowing that your son re-uped willingly, and all despite his wishes and thoughts running counter to your own, eh, Marg?

Whose agenda are you following, your own or that of your child?
Opps, forgot. Now the child is dead so thinking of his wishes and feelings on this matter are immaterial and your agenda takes over, correct?
Interesting, in that if that child had not been killed, would you or she be following your and her current agenda?

She got her time with Bush.
She got her consoling hand held and a kiss on the cheek.
She went from being happy with Bush and his response to now seeking to ask more, after the fact.
She needs to go home and get off the CodePink, MoveOn.org, and Micheal Moore payrolls while she is at it....that is, if she is seeking to truly honor her son's death and not her own or someone else's agenda.

seekerof

[edit on 14-8-2005 by Seekerof]

posted on Aug, 14 2005 @ 04:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Seekerof
.....all despite knowing that your son re-uped willingly, and all despite his wishes and thoughts running counter to your own, eh, Marg?

No Sekeerof, in your blindness of your feelings pro war and pro Mr. Bush you are the one missing the entire point.

The madness in Iraq has to stop.

Que sera, sera.

May peace be with you.

marg.

posted on Aug, 14 2005 @ 04:49 PM
link   
And in your anti-war and anti-Bush hatred, your are missing the point.

Que Sera Sera.

And may God continue to bless you.

seekerof

posted on Aug, 14 2005 @ 05:11 PM
link   
Well, I guess someones got to say it, although this is on topic, you two are looking like bickering children.

posted on Aug, 14 2005 @ 05:37 PM
link   
Seems this woman has had a political agenda all along, even prior to her son's death. With this evidence, is she really speaking out for her son? Or is it simply an opportunistist (albiet unfortunate) event to further solidify her original deep hatred for the current administration? hmmmm.

www.frontpagemag.com...

Excerpt:

A Legacy of Leftist Anger

One might speculate that her son’s death freed Cindy Sheehan to take a more prominent role in stating the convictions she long held. Her hatred of President George W. Bush apparently harkens back to well before her son ever set foot in Iraq. In “An Open Letter to President George Bush,” published in the Not In Our Name newsletter shortly after the 2004 presidential elections, she wrote:

George, in 2000 when you stole that election and the Democrats gave up, I gave up, too. I had the most ironic thought of my life then: “Oh well, how much damage can he do in four years?”

According to San Francisco-based talk show host (and acquaintance of the Sheehan family) Melanie Morgan, Cindy Sheehan’s antiwar animus dates to well before her son’s death. [1] The Sheehans always opposed U.S. involvement in Iraq. Asked about the views she and her husband, Pat, had toward the Iraq War before their son’s deployment, she answered: “We didn’t understand why the United States was there. We never thought that Iraq was an imminent threat to the United States.”

Seems her family sure doesn't buy it:

Disavowal

The fact that Cindy Sheehan has used her son’s coffin as a political soapbox has not set well with many members of Sheehan’s extended family. In a backlash, patriotic members of Casey’s father’s family have distanced themselves and their late, heroic relative from Cindy’s anti-American ways. KSFO-AM radio talk show host and Move America Forward leader Melanie Morgan received the following e-mail from Cherie Quarterolo, the late Casey Sheehan's aunt and godmother, and is sent on behalf of Casey Sheehan’s family:

Hello again Melanie,

Our family has been so distressed by the recent activities of Cindy we are breaking our silence and we have collectively written a statement for release. Feel free to distribute it as you wish. Thanks – Cherie.

In response to questions regarding the Cindy Sheehan/Crawford Texas issue: Sheehan Family Statement:

The Sheehan Family lost our beloved Casey in the Iraq War and we have been silently, respectfully grieving. We do not agree with the political motivations and publicity tactics of Cindy Sheehan. She now appears to be promoting her own personal agenda and notoriety at the expense of her son's good name and reputation. The rest of the Sheehan Family supports the troops, our country, and our President, silently, with prayer and respect.

Sincerely,
Casey Sheehan's grandparents, aunts, uncles and numerous cousins.

Thank goodness someone in the Sheehan family puts family, country, and dignity above political motivation. At last we see where Casey got the heroic sense of duty and patriotism that led him to lay down his life for his friends. R.I.P.

Well, I'd venture to say that her son is most likely 'rolling over in his grave' right about now.

The saddest part of this topic is the apparent disrespect she is showing towards her son's beliefs and decisions. We may not always agree with our children, but to use the death of our own child for our own agenda is absolutely disgusting!

Come on, gang, let the stones fly. I'm ready.

[edit on 14-8-2005 by SourGrapes]

posted on Aug, 14 2005 @ 05:49 PM
link   
Hey she changed her mind with hindsight after some time to reflect on the events, how dare she, hang her from the gallows

To anyone saying her son would be ashamed is WAY out of line, infact I find it disgusting.

posted on Aug, 14 2005 @ 05:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by picard_is_actually_a_grey
Hey she changed her mind with hindsight after some time to reflect on the events, how dare she, hang her from the gallows

How did she change her mind? Her mind was made years prior to the death of her son.

She was active in political protests, very loud and very active in 'lefty' politics. Her son's death has given her an advantage in being 'heard'.

posted on Aug, 14 2005 @ 06:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by SourGrapes
How did she change her mind? Her mind was made years prior to the death of her son.

Here is where she changed her mind, as has been previously discussed and brought forth in the early stages of this discussion/topic:

"That was the gift the president gave us, the gift of happiness, of being together,' she said in the story.

Article
And the republished original story:
From our archive: Bush, Sheehans share moments

She was active in political protests, very loud and very active in 'lefty' politics. Her son's death has given her an advantage in being 'heard'.

She did not become politically vocal or active till after her son's death.

seekerof

posted on Aug, 14 2005 @ 06:28 PM
link   

Here is where she changed her mind, as has been previously discussed and brought forth in the early stages of this discussion/topic:

"That was the gift the president gave us, the gift of happiness, of being together,' she said in the story.

She did not become politically vocal or active till after her son's death.

seekerof

Then explain her letter to the President written and sent before her son's death?

One might speculate that her son’s death freed Cindy Sheehan to take a more prominent role in stating the convictions she long held. Her hatred of President George W. Bush apparently harkens back to well before her son ever set foot in Iraq. In “An Open Letter to President George Bush,” published in the Not In Our Name newsletter shortly after the 2004 presidential elections, she wrote:

George, in 2000 when you stole that election and the Democrats gave up, I gave up, too. I had the most ironic thought of my life then: “Oh well, how much damage can he do in four years?”

According to San Francisco-based talk show host (and acquaintance of the Sheehan family) Melanie Morgan, Cindy Sheehan’s antiwar animus dates to well before her son’s death. [1] The Sheehans always opposed U.S. involvement in Iraq. Asked about the views she and her husband, Pat, had toward the Iraq War before their son’s deployment, she answered: “We didn’t understand why the United States was there. We never thought that Iraq was an imminent threat to the United States.”

So, would a letter sent to the President, with political undertones, be considered 'active' or 'inactive' when the letter is clearly written with an agenda? hmmmmm.
www.frontpagemag.com...

posted on Aug, 14 2005 @ 06:31 PM
link   
Link the source, please.

seekerof

posted on Aug, 14 2005 @ 06:34 PM
link   

Link the source, please.

seekerof

Link is provided in my previous post (above), I edited my last post to provide the link again.

Edit: After going back over the article provided, I realized the letter I mentioned was written after her son's death. I apologize for my jumping to conclusions (this is what I get for wrangling w/my two year old whilst trying to read up on current events).

The rest of my statement still holds.

posted on Aug, 14 2005 @ 06:54 PM
link   
Thank you for the link.
Mrs. Sheehan's animus has nothing to do with her being publically politically active prior to her son's death, and in this case, they are quite different. As mentioned, she did not actively become politcally vocal till after her son's death. There is a difference between having a non-vocalized public political disposition versus what she is doing and has been doing since her son's death.

From the article you linked to:

Instead, Cindy Sheehan threw herself into shrill, anti-Bush and anti-American activism. Shortly after his death, she founded Gold Star Families for Peace, an “antiwar” group whose first stated purpose is “To bring an end to the occupation of Iraq.” (Emphasis added.) She presently has a blogspot on MichaelMoore.com and spouts extremist rhetoric alongside many of the Hate America Left’s most potent bomb-throwers.

I get the impression that instead of honoring her son's death, she is mocking his beliefs and choices. She obviously disproved of what he was doing, as she obviously disproved of this war. The difference here is that her disposition was restricted to a non-public venue, whereas now, she has become a anti-war Tokyo Rose for Michael Moore, CodePink, and MoveOn.org, etc. The anti-war media and organizations have blown her into the next Gandhi of peace.
So be it, I can deal with it, but here's the deal: she got her time with Bush, she will not get another shot. She is entitled to her beliefs, as she is entitled to voice them. The problem here, is that she is twisting and in a sense mocking her son by using his death to political grandstand her anti-war beliefs and opinions.

seekerof

posted on Aug, 14 2005 @ 07:31 PM
link   

I get the impression that instead of honoring her son's death, she is mocking his beliefs and choices. She obviously disproved of what he was doing, as she obviously disproved of this war. The difference here is that her disposition was restricted to a non-public venue, whereas now, she has become a anti-war Tokyo Rose for Michael Moore, CodePink, and MoveOn.org, etc. The anti-war has blown her into the next Gandhi of peace.
So be it, I can deal with it, but here's the deal: she got her time with Bush, she will not get another shot. She is entitled to her beliefs, as she is entitled to voice them. The problem here, is that she is twisting and in a sense mocking her son by using his death to political grandstand her anti-war beliefs and opinions.

seekerof

I wholeheartedly agree. Let's hope she'll soon wake up and start in her next stage of grieving.

My grandfather passed away a few months ago. He died two days after learning he had lung cancer. He was 67.

Do I honor my grandfather for the time he spent with us, or do I honor him by focusing on the choices he made in life that I may not agree with (i.e. smoking)? I'd rather focus on his better qualities and those I've learned from him. He was a great man. His whole life was not centered around smoking, that was a small part. A small part that ended up being his demise. I cannot change that. Hopefully we (family) will learn from his bad choices, just as we've learned from those that were good.

I could camp out in front of 'Benson & Hedges', with signs, yelling profanity and hatred, but is that really honoring my grandfather? He knew the dangers of smoking (his dr. told him to stop more times than we can count), he knew he could end up dying from cigarettes. I can't bring him back, nor can I go back in time and change the decision he made to smoke.

I think Cindy Sheehan is trying to change her son's decision. Her son chose to go into combat and he knew that there was a chance of dying (considerably less of a chance than from smoking), but she cannot change the choices he has made.

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join