It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Scientists "Blown Away" By Potential Source Of Stem Cells Found In Placentas

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 6 2005 @ 08:10 PM
link   
While searching for a less controversial source of embryonic stem cells, U.S scientists have found a potential source of them in placentas, which have been saved after childbirth. Primitive cells found in the amnion, a part of the placenta were coaxed into forming a variety of cell types which the scientists from the University of Pittsburgh believe look very much like the embryonic stem cells that are so sought after.

www.abc.net.au
"We were just blown away when we found those two genes expressed in those cells," he said.

"The presence of these two genes suggests these cells are pluripotent, which means they should be able to form any cell type in the body."

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

The team is still not certain that they are true stem cells but they carry OCT4 and Nanog, two important genes that so far have only been found on embryonic stem cells.

This is great news if it turns out the scientists are correct. So far stem cells research has hit many moral barriers regarding the use of embryos in the search for the answers to many medical mysteries.

It makes sense that the placenta does carry those cells as we have known for quite a while now that the babies cord is rich in stem cells.

[edit on 6-8-2005 by Mayet]

posted on Aug, 6 2005 @ 09:21 PM
link   
Great news. I hope stem cell research can find a way to move forward. The impact such research can have on saving lives is priceless.

posted on Aug, 7 2005 @ 06:42 AM
link   
I believe that the religious fanatics real problem is that scientists are "playing god".

If science finds another source for stem cells, religious idiots will find another excuse to protest against it.

Great news for everyone else though.

posted on Aug, 7 2005 @ 08:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by gekko
I believe that the religious fanatics real problem is that scientists are "playing god".

No, that would be incorrect. All opposition publically stated so far has been toward using aborted fetuses, that's they're concern.

Which I dont' agree with by the way - and I'm a fundamentalist evangelical christian.

But to this story - I'm a bit aggravated. This was a logical alternative source of stem cells from the moment this whole bru-ha-ha ensued and the scientific community assured all of us sitting here thinking it would be a viable source that it was, in fact, NOT a viable source in lieu of the fetuses.

All of a sudden we hear differently. Well, thanks a lot scientific community, you slowed this whole research thing down just as much as the misguided religious folks out there, and I can't figure out why you did. I mean, if you're astonished by the abundance of stem cells in placenta now that means you really hadn't looked at it before when you told all of us you couldn't get them.

bah - I'm disgusted with just about everybody in this debate - religious groups, politicians and now the scientists. Meanwhile my quadraplegic nephew continues to wait for the collective group of liars and dogmatic idiots to pull their heads out of their backsides so that he can be given a chance to scratch his own ass again before he dies.

Pardon me - but this topic continues to upset me.

posted on Aug, 7 2005 @ 03:08 PM
link   
Well said Val, my sentiments exactly (If these turn out to be true stem cells.)

posted on Aug, 7 2005 @ 05:34 PM
link   
I have to say Suck it up Valhall.

I'm sure that given the chance and the opportunity to help your nephew, they'd do it in the blink of an eye.

bottom line it doesn't matter where you get the cells from(placenta or fetus) their still contributing to someone who is already living. so why don't you work to shut the zealots up and just let them take the cells from which ever source. So that they can work towards helping your nephew?

because now you can't just blame christian brothers for holding medical progress back? now the stagnation can be blamed on those working to help him?

** I don't mean this to be/sound offensive.

posted on Aug, 7 2005 @ 05:39 PM
link   
It's not taken as offensive, Assa. Points all well taken, I just wish they had been forthright in the first place. I'm not sure if the misinformation was due to some attempt to "get their way" against the opposition, or what, but this is far too important to play games with.

I'm very very happy that placental stem cells are going to be usable in these efforts.

YEEHAW!

posted on Aug, 8 2005 @ 07:04 AM
link   
AFAIK, we have always known about the cells in the placenta being semi viable. The problem is thast they have already gone through some of their change(The name escapes me, but when cells turn from being capable of being any cells, to actually being used for one type of cell) so they are not nearly as effective, or as safe, or as viable.

The problem, IMO, is that those that have one veiw of life continue to try and make others live by that rule. Alzhiemer's, cancer, parkinson's, brain damage - all of which would be simple physical matters to solve(Simple might be over statement, but none would be uncurable) but because of some book written 1500 years ago, and billions of weak minds people continue to die and live in horror.

I am generally very spiritual, but this has cost too many people too many things, based all on a beleif system that can be shown to have been tampered with....If only the churches could be sued for pain and suffering.

top topics

join