It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bird Flu Awareness - Shopping List & Countermeasures Thread

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 9 2005 @ 10:48 AM
link   
Sofi I am one of those that when the "Anti oxidant" craziness started I took them by the bunch, but I am more incline on the "naturalistic approach"

I am not longer taking the anti oxidants like I onces did but my husband is into that kind of stuff from proteins drinks to enhancements supplements.

He never get sick and his his blood pressure equals a teen age boy. I hate him.

Perhaps type of blood has to do with health too, he is type A while I am type o.

Some people are more naturally resistant to diseases than others I always feel that if somebody will be able to beat any new virus that will be my husband.

posted on Oct, 9 2005 @ 11:10 AM
link   
Hey - I hate him too.

...I think it makes a big difference when you take antioxidants. ...Like, if you're actively fighting infection, it's a very bad thing. But if you're healthy, then boosting the immune system might be good. ...I don't know for sure though. There is MUCH contradiction out there, and lots of lying, so sorting through the crap is almost impossible.

...The head of the CDC before Gerbering was on to the free radical scam - might be one of the reasons he quit. I have at least one of his articles filed - but I forget his name and can't look it up.

One thing I know for sure - the "free radical theory of disease" has been pretty much disproved, along with the "germ theory," for modern chronic disease - but Big Pharma is fighting hardball to protect their multi-billion dollar scam.

....Remember the epidemic of dead microbiologists?

posted on Oct, 9 2005 @ 12:05 PM
link   
DDay:

Good work, you beat me to it

I've been using CS for years and I swear by it. In Australia (especially Western Australia), every pharmaceutical shop (chemist) sells it.

I did a LOT of research into this and found the best generator was here:

www.silverpuppy.com...

BTW, I am not affiliated with silverpuppy.com in any way whatsoever. He has a good device (current and voltage regulated) and it's cheap too.

Cheers

JS

posted on Oct, 9 2005 @ 09:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by soficrow
The point is - boosting your immune system when you have the flu can make it worse.

You gotta be kidding me! All the links you provided refer to asingle study by the UCL team. I cannot find any more info on details of the experiments. Also, the evidence derived is based on speculations. I'd need more proof and more studies to overturn the popular theory. So, my advice, it is foolish to let go of the "free radical" theory which is based on many credible studies as well as evidence of success.

You said you've taken the "anti-oxidant" approach and it did not work well for you. May I ask what exactly you took and for what if its not too personal?

One other thing: Most companies that sell anti-oxidants slap on "take with meals" on their labels. Vitamin C( the most popular anti-oxidant) is better taken on an empty stomach. Also, if you take a megadose of Vitamin C with coke or a donut..you just wasted your money.

Strengthening your immune system is the only way to fight disease.

posted on Oct, 9 2005 @ 10:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by I_s_i_s

I know this is the logical way to fight normal diseases, but the H5N1 is far from normal. The only virus we have for reference is the 1918 Spanish Flu.

The majority of deaths were healthy 18 to 50 yr olds. They died as a result of a 'cytokine storm'. Their body actually produced too many antibodies to fight off the virus. Compare it to an extreme allergy attack.

posted on Oct, 9 2005 @ 10:04 PM
link   
oops double post

[edit on 9-10-2005 by SourGrapes]

posted on Oct, 9 2005 @ 10:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by I_s_i_s

Originally posted by soficrow
The point is - boosting your immune system when you have the flu can make it worse.

You gotta be kidding me!

...I have gigabytes of related research - too much to cull, organize, and post here and now.

But briefly - the premise is that most modern disease results from misfolded proteins - infectious prions.

I already have posted references - numerous times - that track a protein called "a-smooth muscle actin" (ASMA) and resultant pathogenic myofibroblasts from people (in a disease called fibromuscular dysplasia first acknowledged 1938) to US turkeys in 1980, trout in 1981 - then Japanese quail in 1996, and H5N1 bird flu in 1997 in Hong Kong.

I also have shown that nearly 100% of the American population has ASMA/FMD by adulthood.

The point is - [prions use the immune system to spread in the body. There is NO doubt that inflammation speeds prion disease progression, and while the initial effect may not be acute, such diseases are progressive and eventually result in chronic debilitation and disability.

...The paper posted above simply provides substantiation from another perspective.

Pollution and modern disease have changed the way our immune systems function. It seems to matter when you boost your immune system - and immunity simply does not work the way the drug and medical insurance industries would have us believe it does.

This paper is a must read:

PDF: Toxicant-induced loss of tolerance – An Emerging Theory of Disease?
Toxicant-Induced Loss of Tolerance – An Emerging Theory of Disease?
or www.herc.org...

Claudia Miller is quite amazing, and her testimonies before Congress and various institutions are revealing, for example:

Testimony of Dr. Claudia Miller during the Public Comment of the FDA Advisory Panel for Silicone Gel Breast Implants in April 2005.

Committee on Veterans’ Affairs

You said you've taken the "anti-oxidant" approach and it did not work well for you. May I ask what exactly you took and for what if its not too personal?

I was diagnosed with FMD in 1990 - after I almost died. Angioplasty took care of a kidney artery blockage that was impacting all my major organs - I was told it was incurable and would recur, but would be treatable. Following a gamma globulin shot in 1996 - my body started falling apart: on top of the FMD I now have COPD, fibromyalgia, enhanced pain syndrome, a lesion in my brainstem that impacts my autonomous nervous system, IBS, and osteoarthritis. I now know that the gamma globulin was contaminated, or incompatible with my immune system - or both.

I am the original 'granola kid' - and know about healthy eating, living, and supplements. I assure you I don't drink Coke.
I don't even buy processed food. That ain't it.

...When I say my symptoms were relieved when I started treating my health problems as prion-related, that's exactly what I mean:

1. NOT boosting the immune system when I have a cold, flu, or other inflammatory effect.
2. Drinking green tea.
3. Cooking with curry (for curcumin), and sage.
4. Taking ranitidine (an antihistamine targeted to the gut).

Items 2-4 are all documented as inhibiting prion replication. ...The key to helping immune function appropriately is mitigating inflammation - antioxidants promote an inflammatory response, and help prions spread.

So again - if you are an American adult - chances are VERY good that you have an underlying prion infection. Normally, it would take decades to manifest, BUT, prions use the immune system to spread in the body - so flu or other infections help the underlying disease to spread. Because H5N1 bird flu is linked to ASMA, which is an infectious prion, it's a double whammy.

Strengthen your immune system before you get sick - but back off on the boosters if you're infected.

Isis - You obviously know about pharmaceuticals or neutriceuticals - so you know there is a long running controversy. Numerous studies show that natural food sources are okay, but antioxidant supplements do NOT preserve health, and often, are linked to greater risk of heart disease at least.

Much of the controversy obviously is synthetic - and generated for financial purposes - NOT in the interests of patients.

posted on Oct, 9 2005 @ 10:42 PM
link   
I posted this in another thread.......I think it's pretty important so here it is again

--------------------------
Here ya go (CBR = chemical, bio and radioactive/nuclear)

Filtration and air-cleaning systems may protect a building and its occupants from the effects of a CBR attack. Although it is impossible to completely eliminate the risk from an attack, filtration and aircleaning systems are important components of a comprehensive plan to reduce the consequences. CBR agents can effectively be removed by properly designed, installed, and well-maintained filtration and air-cleaning systems.

Link here

More info here

[edit on 9/10/2005 by SportyMB]

posted on Oct, 10 2005 @ 09:39 AM
link   
Soficrow, Thanks for all the info. I'll check out the links you posted.

I now know that the gamma globulin was contaminated, or incompatible with my immune system - or both.

Yea unfortunately, regardless of the cleaning and purification of this blood byproduct its not 100% guaranteed to be germ free. Sucks though. Did they give you any steriods following the shot?
Thats a lotta things to be a fighting at once. Did you have asthma before?
You know, if I had to guess, FMS and all the other symptons that came along with it couldve been triggered by your already weakened state coupled with some funky viral infection...which you probably got intravenously. I guess i'm just stating what you already know.

As far as the antioxidant controversy goes, we can only wait for more and more studies that explain away the inconsistencies in the "free radical" theory. Anti oxidant approach is not a magic pill like the folks at anti aging will have you believe. Let the search go on....

posted on Oct, 10 2005 @ 03:02 PM
link   
I thought you all might find this interesting and potentially useful...

Cranberry and oregano make seafood safe to eat

IN CULINARY terms they are poles apart: one is a staple of Italian cuisine, the other an essential accompaniment to roast turkey. But put oregano and cranberries together and you have a potent antibacterial agent that could cut the risk of food poisoning from infected seafood.

So say Kalidas Shetty and his colleagues at the University of Massachusetts in Amherst, who have been experimenting with different ratios of cranberry and oregano extract to kill Vibrio parahaemolyticus, a seafood-dwelling bacterium that can cause two-day bouts of stomach cramps, vomiting and diarrhoea.

While both plants are known to contain phenolic compounds with antimicrobial activity, Shetty had a hunch that they might be more effective when used in combination. He found that using a 50:50 mixture to coat cod fillets and shrimps infected with V. parahaemolyticus was far more effective at killing the bugs than either of the compounds on its own - probably because they disrupt different parts of the bacterial cell. Lowering the pH with a dash of lactic acid made the concoction even more effective (Innovative Food Science and Emerging Technologies, vol 6, p 453).

posted on Oct, 10 2005 @ 03:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by loam

...put oregano and cranberries together and you have a potent antibacterial agent that could cut the risk of food poisoning from infected seafood.

Very cool loam.

Thanks.

Isis - most likely the key to unravelling the discrepancies in reports on antioxidants and 'free radical theory' is the timing of therapy. Boosting is good when no inflammation is present - but not if the immune system is actively fighting infection, with inflammation.

xu

posted on Oct, 10 2005 @ 03:42 PM
link   
H5N1 virus lasts

3 hours @ 56° C and
30 minutes @ 60° C

the meat of the infected poltry could be eaten after cooking, however you should know that the virus is stored in the animals guts. and to get infected from poultry meat, from what I read you have to first dry the meat and sniff it, even then it is a very small possibility(they say). However Im not planning to consume chicken breasts for some time.

Do any of you have info on eggs, you know before the virus could be killed in high temps, we are handling the eggs afterall, lining them in the fridge etc.?

There goes the best pure source of protein

posted on Oct, 10 2005 @ 03:55 PM
link   
loam and sofi -- along the lines of the oregano - what are your thoughts of taking the wild oil of oregano -- I have a friend doing that for other reasons and she swears she is feeling better -- I wonder if it would help fight off a virus too?

posted on Oct, 10 2005 @ 04:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by loam

IN CULINARY terms they are poles apart: one is a staple of Italian cuisine, the other an essential accompaniment to roast turkey. But put oregano and cranberries together and you have a potent antibacterial agent that could cut the risk of food poisoning from infected seafood.

Wasabi is another one that kills the bacteria in the fish. Yum!

posted on Oct, 12 2005 @ 05:02 PM
link   
Scientists warn of possibility of drug-resistant flu

US scientists warn that a drug-resistant Avian flu strain could arise with unrestrained and improper use of available drugs.

The warning came as governments around the world are stockpiling antiviral drugs and the H5N1 avian flu strain threatens to break out into a flu pandemic.

The virus has killed 65 people in Asia since late 2003 and recent reports of an outbreak amongst poultry in Turkey are unnerving European states.

How could improper or unrestrained use of antiviral drugs affect the battle against Avian flu?

Justin Teo spoke to Dr. Jeffrey Staples, Senior Medical Advisor at International SOS, for more.

I don't like the drug angle. I'm thinking more and more seriously that herbs, instead of vaccines and parmaceuticals, are going to be the way to go with this thing. I know that's what we're preparing with.

posted on Oct, 12 2005 @ 05:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
I don't like the drug angle. I'm thinking more and more seriously that herbs, instead of vaccines and parmaceuticals, are going to be the way to go with this thing.

I'm inclined to agree.

Moreover, it resolves the access issue most run into for the drug piece of the strategy.

posted on Oct, 14 2005 @ 09:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
I would add Echinacea

Echenacea hasn't been proven to cure flu... or block upcoming colds... It's more of a placebo, or so the researcher's are saying...

posted on Oct, 14 2005 @ 09:32 AM
link   
Basics work:

1. Wash your hands twice as much as you should have been doing in the first place.
2. Never touch your eyes or nose with dirty hands. Use a handkerchief.
3. Wear a basic mask to avoid particulate transmission of the virus. Like they do in bad flu epedemics in Japan. It works.
4. Buy the masks before they run out of them locally.
5. Buy alcohol wipes and/or a bottle of alcohol to disinfect with.
6. Buy a good thermometer to check temperatures for infection.
7. Avoid people that are sick.
8. Avoid public places when an epidemic is underway.
9. Maintain resistance to infection with good diet and adequate amounts of sleep.
10. Build up the body's resistance with exercise.
11. Get a flu shot.
12. Lastly, believe that you won't get ill, and make it happen.

[edit on 14-10-2005 by ZPE StarPilot]

posted on Oct, 14 2005 @ 09:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by TrueLies
Echenacea hasn't been proven to cure flu... or block upcoming colds... It's more of a placebo, or so the researcher's are saying...

Yeah, I know. I wonder who's paying these researchers... I know they haven't called me in the last 10-12 years, which is how long I haven't had one flu or one cold and have been taking echinacea tincture at the first sign of the scratchy sore throat.

It doesn't 'cure the flu', it pops up the immune system to fight off the attack. If you take it early enough, it fights off the disease. If you already have the flu or a cold, it makes it last a shorter time.

I (and my husband) have been exposed and have started to get it. But the echinacea tincture (it's acually a combo of herbs) stopped it in its tracks, I'm convinced. If it's a placebo, then I've got one hell of a powerful mind!
No flu shots, either!

I'm not talking about some echinacea pills from Walmart, but the fresh tincture from an herbalist.

Just my experience.

posted on Mar, 30 2006 @ 05:27 AM
link   
I bought some oil of oregano pills from an organic store that do seem to help. Sambucol has popped up in the news when bird flu is mentioned. It has a cranberry extract that weakens the virus cell structure if I'm not mistaken. It is endorsed by an Israeli viralologist as well. Whoopee! I don't trust establishments/news/authority, but I do think there is something to this product. Anyway... googled for you on Sambucol...

www.google.com...

[edit on 3-30-06 by pacman]

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join