It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why Does MicroSoft Hate Bluetooth? (Stupid Phone)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 23 2005 @ 08:17 PM
link   
Stupid, stupid phone. It does everything. But I don't have the PHD required apparently to make any of it work. Owner's manuals on new cars aren't this long. And they make sense. They don't lie. They don't make up stuff that doesn't exist. They don't talk about application options not there or bah...

Anyway, I was downloading the giant honking ridiculous Nokia Management Suite to my laptop to support this unnecessarily complicated burden to man's existence we must all have to live now, and Microsoft freaked out and said STOP DOWNLOAD NOW, NOT LOGO TESTED.

Are they serious? I think they didn't like the bluetooth wireless connectivity part, because that's all they left out of the download. But the infrared part is inadequately written up in the Nokia Bible. Sure, I can record the voice command for hands free Infrared.
Then spend the next hour acting like Scotty in Star Trek IV: Phone? In-Fra-Red. Phone? Innn-Fraaa-Red. But since I'm not blind yet (as per the warning) it doesn't work either. So now I have to go get an actual wire to make my wireless phone talk to my wireless notebook, when it seems to be talking to global positioning satellites just fine. No, this won't do.

Stupid phone. And it's constantly recording me (ironically all of which are conversations wondering what my phone is doing); Taking video of the inside of pocket; Crowing like a rooster. Okay, that one's my fault. All I've gotten to work so far. But why is it an MP3 player? Why is it a radio? Why is it an alarm clock, stop watch, calender, arcade, organizer, browser and PDA? Why do I feel like I'm constantly one slip away from pushing the wrong button and downloading Ms. PacMan for $4.99. It's too much, and yet not enough. It's post functional in a post convenient world.

Thanks, I had to get that out. So anyone else have this Nokia 6255i nightmare or know about the connectivity issues? Appreciate the help.

posted on Jul, 23 2005 @ 08:33 PM
link   
Ha ha ha,

I got such a kick out of your post.

When I got my Nokia, it took me 3 days just to get if reasonably functional, (or was it the other way around?). Anyway, I decided right away not to even bother with the bluetooth portion.

Having read your post. I am so glad I didn't even try.

Best of luck
makeitso

posted on Jul, 25 2005 @ 09:49 AM
link   
Ive had 5 Nokias now and would not change my current one for anything in the world....Even if it is getting a bit old!

The bluetooth connection from my phone to PC is very simple so i cannot understand how you are having trouble?

Mic

posted on Jul, 27 2005 @ 04:59 PM
link   
To answer the question in your title, because it's an innovative technology that is currently very useful and will grow to be much bigger. Microsoft hates those kinds of things.

I've a friend who uses Nokia, and he also uses Bluetooth. He's never had any problems other than simple, everday problems you'd expect to have.

posted on Jul, 28 2005 @ 08:42 AM
link   
Anyone seen this?
SymbOS.Cabir.U

Sanc'.

posted on Jul, 28 2005 @ 09:36 AM
link   
Maybe you should copy and paste this rant here.

Im sure these people would love to hear what you have to say, they have nothing but good to say but you know how the net is.

posted on Jul, 28 2005 @ 04:24 PM
link   
Bluetooth was going to be the wonder project that would change our lives and let absolutely everything talk to everything else. What happened to it? It seems that only phones and PDAs seem to embrace this technology when loads more stuff could. Ok, WLAN (Wireless LAN) is faster and has better range but don't you think that bluetooth would have if more devices used it and hence it was developed more?

posted on Jul, 28 2005 @ 04:56 PM
link   
I believe I heard about that, sanc. Didn't it sort of peter out?

infidellic - Give it time. I think BT is going to increase in popularity. It's done very well since it's inception, and it is getting better. Groups, like Apple, are backing it, and support is increasingly common, and is often counted as a wanted feature.

posted on Jul, 31 2005 @ 11:17 PM
link   
I even bought a new PC with XP Pro and same thing.

I mean I could just ignore MS Window's warnings and "download anyway" but that's not smart is it?

I've written both Nokia and MS and heard nothing back.

Phone seems great. You just can't really do anything without connectivity.

Without pic/vid I'd have just gotten a better phone for voice. It's just going to come to down to me biting the bullet and installing anyway, but it BUGS me MS says not to... and I can't find anyone else on internet getting that same "not logos tested DO NOT INSTALL" message.

And am I supposed to buy a dongle or something? This manual is crap.

posted on Jul, 31 2005 @ 11:45 PM
link   

By Rant
not logos tested DO NOT INSTALL

It just means that Nokia did not use the Microsoft-provided testing procedures to get the drivers digitally signed like good little drones. I would guess that it probably costs a lot of time an money. Or the drivers could have be created before the Logo testing. The drivers will probably work just fine if you got them directly from Nokia.

Here is what Microsofts site has to say on logo testing.

Hardware and software products displaying the Designed for Microsoft Windows XP logo have been tested for compatibility with Microsoft Windows operating systems through use of Microsoft-provided testing procedures. For the best performance, Microsoft recommends using hardware products that display the Designed for Microsoft Windows XP logo on the external packaging and on the device itself.

Software for hardware products with the Designed for Microsoft Windows XP logo has a digital signature from Microsoft, indicating that the product was tested for compatibility with Windows and has not been altered since testing. For the latest updates, including security fixes, service packs, new Help files, and device drivers, see Windows Update in Help and Support Center. You may also want to contact the hardware vendor directly and ask for a device driver that has met the Designed for Microsoft Windows XP logo requirements.

Also, note that by default, XP warns you about ANY device driver that is not Microsoft Logo tested. The linked article above has links on how to change xp's default behaviour toward digital signatures.

To set file signature verification options:
1. Open System in Control Panel.
2. On the Hardware tab, click Driver Signing.
3. Under File signature verification, click:

• Ignore to allow all device drivers to be installed on this computer, regardless of whether they have a digital signature.

• Warn to display a warning message whenever an installation program attempts to install a device driver without a digital signature. This is the default behavior for Windows.

• Block to prevent an installation program from installing device drivers without a digital signature.

Best of Luck
makeitso

posted on Aug, 1 2005 @ 12:39 AM
link   
Having read the google links for Nokia Management Suite NOT LOGO TESTED, I noted that Nokia has just released new version 6.6 for Series 60, Series 80 and Series 90 smartphones. Some of the posts in the forums found talked about bluetooth working better with this version.

PC Suite 6.6 for Nokia smartphones

I hope that helps,

Best of Luck
makeitso

posted on Aug, 1 2005 @ 09:06 AM
link   
VERY helpful makeitso! THANK YOU!!!

posted on Aug, 3 2005 @ 08:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by RANT
VERY helpful makeitso! THANK YOU!!!

Whereas Nokia and Bluetooth, not so much.

Nokia, after a 50 minute wait for technical support and a disconnect (stupid phone) prompting another wait, basically said ignore MicroSoft and download it anyway, but offer no advice on the Bluetooth product I need for my PC.

Bluetooth, ironically, wouldn't either.

Dear rant,

Thank you for your recent mail to the Bluetooth SIG. The Bluetooth SIG
is a trade association and as such, we do not make, manufacture, or sell
products. Because we have over 3000 member companies - all of which are
implementing the technology in products varying from USB adapters to
cars to medical devices - it is virtually impossible for us to give
technical support or product suggestions.

Thank you,

Jay

Trying the phone retailer now, fulling expecting to end up in Dell CSR chat, then ultimately Staples (50 miles away), then (should the tech Gods deem me worthy), my phone will be able to talk to my computer from a couple feet away because it's so damn convenient.

top topics

join