It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Could this be the beginning of the end

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 5 2005 @ 06:24 PM
link   
well i heard that the military was making robots to take the place of human soldiers what if most of them whent haywire and found all humans as the enemy maybe armaggedon is inevitable

posted on Jul, 5 2005 @ 06:26 PM
link   
did u just like watched a Terminator movie or somthing?
we been discussing about machines replacing humans and the consequences of pursuing the ambition of machines replacing all humans for warfare and the robots turned against us.

posted on Jul, 5 2005 @ 06:32 PM
link   
still would you place your life in a machines hands no your family and friends and the country in something that could betray us! countries could be using the same technology and drop it in America where they could kill your friends and family

posted on Jul, 5 2005 @ 07:18 PM
link   
As long as no computer so far can havean independent conversation with human, all robots will be ultimately under human control.

posted on Jul, 5 2005 @ 07:19 PM
link   
This is one of my most favorite, repeat topics. There are always those who have to make a movie crack every time. Of all the war robot movies, Short Circut is the most accurate for todays robots, platform wise that is. Honda makes a bipedal humanoid robot that can traverse stairs. That is the closest to Terminator bots that is publically known. Here are some selections from a quick search;

"Supporting the joint warfighter by development ... Telereflexive Tactical Response Robot," Autonomous Robots"
NOSC.MIL

This one is a PDF by the Navy.
200 man-portable robots deployed in-theatre/Eliminating the Operator Control Unit

The CONRO Project has a goal of providing the Warfighter with a miniature reconfigurable robot that can be tasked to perform reconnaissance and search and identification tasks in urban, seashore and other field environments.

New Introduction Movie!

The size of a dime.
SWARM

Look out that quad has a mind of it's own!
AFrobots

Source search results ---->
www.dogpile.com...

[edit on 5-7-2005 by ADVISOR]

posted on Jul, 5 2005 @ 08:46 PM
link   
Yes there are some UCAVs being developed that would autonomously attack but first they must get permission from a human to make sure it's enemy. If it goes haywire... well we can always turn it off

posted on Jul, 6 2005 @ 05:51 AM
link   
There's was this one video on ATS of a self replicating robot.. I found it abs amazing..

posted on Jul, 6 2005 @ 06:28 AM
link   
Hes actually not too far off the mark!

A while back i read that robots are evolving 100,000,000 times faster than humans!

Think about it, its took humans thousands of years to get to where we are now, but robots have advanced from nothing to being able to reproduce themselves over just the last half a century or so!

In another 100 years with the coming advances in technology, robots will be as smart as humans!

Lets just hope the human race is smart enough to make sure they all have an off switch!!!

Mic

[edit on 6/7/2005 by MickeyDee]

posted on Jul, 6 2005 @ 08:50 AM
link   
precisely someone notices

posted on Jul, 6 2005 @ 09:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by ArtemisFowl
precisely someone notices

Great minds think alike.....LOL

Mic

posted on Jul, 6 2005 @ 10:29 AM
link   
our technology is growing to fast robots can already speak with us and battle for us if we give this technology to our allies even they might turn against us soon an emp will be all we will have to defend our selves

posted on Jul, 6 2005 @ 10:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by ADVISOR
Of all the war robot movies, Short Circut is the most accurate for todays robots, platform wise that is.

"Johnny Five is alive"

posted on Jul, 10 2005 @ 02:46 PM
link   
Absolutely!

Right on - I can't wait!

Maybe I'll get to volunteer to time travel as well, then I can go into the future and save the world.

Damn it! It's been done already.

Seriously though, it's not so far fetched as we all seem to think! If nano-robots can replicate they way they are supposed to and given their level of intelligence, what's to stop them organising themselves to do us harm?

In the long run, I believe that the 'Terminator' films should serve as a warning to us all!

Make computers all singing and all dacing and one day, they'll probably sing and dance all over our graves.

Is this what is called the 'Darwinian' process? Survival of the fitest?

No contest, as I believe intelligent machines will one day, in a galaxy far, far away, learn to take control and then may the Lord God help us, because no other bugger will!

posted on Jul, 10 2005 @ 03:17 PM
link   
If you have not seen "The Animatrix" with the two-parters, "The Second Renaissance" with the example of robots turning against humanity, shame on you. It should provide a warning for the future if we're not too careful with giving AI-driven robots too much controls of its own fates and spell doom for the careless humans.

Google "The Second Renaissance".

posted on Aug, 4 2005 @ 08:47 AM
link   
well if think about it every country will get this technology some how then robots will turn against us

posted on Aug, 4 2005 @ 01:10 PM
link   
Do you think we wouldn't program safeguards in there? Robots can't do anything they're not programmed for, unless they're programmed to "think" freely, in which case we'd have a shutdown system, like some kind of code or something. Or, maybe, they'd have access to an internet database of American voices or something like that. The only way I could see them organizing a revolt is if there were a glitch in their systems and they were designed to work together in groups. But we'd still have safeguards.

posted on Aug, 4 2005 @ 01:21 PM
link   
Robots, evolving 100,000,000 times faster than humans? I don't believe that. A robot can't come close to rivaling the physical complexity of a human. It took them 25 years of research just to get where they could simulate 25 brain cells of a lobster. A human brain has trillions of cells. Robots are a long way off.

I am sure robots will get more complex algorithms so that they can walk better. It has taken them years to get robots that can walk bipedal, but you can still walk up to them and shove them and they fall down. They need to get them where they can balance.

Which requires an ENORMOUS amount of processing power. They say it takes so much processing power to make a machine walk upright, it is amazing that we humans even walk upright the way we do. That kind of robotic intelligence is a long way off.

There was a thread similar to this regarding UCAVs, over in the Aircraft forum. And I doubt robots will ever take over no matter how advanced they get. As robots evolve, humans are going to become more robotic. We are on the verge of what may be a cybernetic type of age, as humans will begin having certain computer chips and so forth put into their bodies and other artificial bodyparts.

As for robot soldiers, they are a loooooooooong way off. You put robotic soldiers on the battlefield, what makes them any more effective than humans? Guns will still take them out, and they will have to be so compelx that they will not be able to fix. Even things like robotic battle tanks will require robts that can replace the tracks, repair the engine, etc....might as well have humans do it.

posted on Aug, 7 2005 @ 02:49 AM
link   
Let's hope they make one that can type intelligent questions.

posted on Aug, 7 2005 @ 02:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by EngineMan2145
It took them 25 years of research just to get where they could simulate 25 brain cells of a lobster. A human brain has trillions of cells.

lol. a lobster

top topics

join