It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Very sad story

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 16 2003 @ 04:04 PM
link   
Yesterday here in Springfield Missouri

A man from New Mexico was in Springfield driving a big U-Haul picking up furniture and stuff. Well he was backing up and backed over a 4 year old little boy. He got out of his truck, went around to the back, seen that he just ran over this little boys head and torso, the boy was still alive, then the man left the scence, fled on foot. There was a man hunt all day yesterday, they found him today. But whats so sad the little boy died this morning. I guess all of his family was outside when it happened.

WHAT IS WRONG WITH PEOPLE?????

I have a 4 year old son...when I heard what happened I cried for almost an hour. The parents gave a statement to police and the news just a few ago. Wishing that their son hadn't suffered through the night, because they knew there was no way he would of made it.

How could someone run over a little child then flee??

Just thought I would share this, it has been upsetting me all day.

posted on Aug, 16 2003 @ 04:12 PM
link   
Well, it's just that. A real sad story.

As for the man fleeing the scene? Yes, we can judge him. But if it really was an accident, who knows what compelled him to run away. Maybe he had some thought that by running away and turning his back, the accident wouldn't have happened. Maybe he was denying what had happened as he couldn't face reality.
He should never have run away. But when I imagine myself in his shoes I find it very hard to judge him.
If he was a human being, he would have felt horror, guilt, shame, fear, sadness - lots of negative reactions all at the same time. This could have made a guy who was normally rational lose his sanity for a moment and once he had fled he had already dug himself a hole from which there was no escape.

Like I said: I wouldn't judge this guy just yet. The whole thing is a tragedy. If you're going to pray - pray for the young boy's family. They must be having the hardest time of all.

posted on Aug, 16 2003 @ 04:15 PM
link   
Did you stop to think that the man who over run that boy was scared too? Even hysteric? Panic took over? One does not do sensible things when sh!t like this happen..

posted on Aug, 16 2003 @ 04:15 PM
link   
Maybe after realizing what he did he was so overwhelmed by the horrific scene, he couldn't taking it and he just ran. But I say it's the cowardly thing to do .
I feel bad for the boy, poor kid

posted on Aug, 16 2003 @ 04:18 PM
link   
I understand about not judging him...he will live with it for the rest of his life. I guess it just hit home for me, being a mother and all. But when he went back to see what he hit, he didn't even bend down to see if the boy was alive, dead, nothing. He ran for 1 and a half days, IMHO if the guilt was to bad, he would of turned himself in. He didn't when police found him, I guess he didn't go quietly. I couldn't of lived with myself, especially after the reality of it all set in.

posted on Aug, 16 2003 @ 04:21 PM
link   
Were the parents there?.
was this kids safety THEIR responsibility?.

Aren't they as responsible as they would be if the kid had been ejected from a car for not being strapped in?.

The guy should not have run away,like someone else said,maybe he just could not deal with it.

But it is not his fault,if anyone is responsible,it is the parents.

But no one is guilty of a crime here,even though I am sure some bull$hit charges will be filed.

posted on Aug, 16 2003 @ 04:32 PM
link   

Were the parents there?.
was this kids safety THEIR responsibility?.

Aren't they as responsible as they would be if the kid had been ejected from a car for not being strapped in?.

The guy should not have run away,like someone else said,maybe he just could not deal with it.

But it is not his fault,if anyone is responsible,it is the parents.

But no one is guilty of a crime here,even though I am sure some bull$hit charges will be filed.

The boy was in his own driveway, the guy backed up into their driveway to turn around.

He commited a crime when he fled, and the boy died from his injuries.

Yes, I'm sure he did freak, but you don't run. I wouldn't, and yes I can say this, even if I have never experienced what he went through before. My morals tell me NO!

My kids play in our frontyard and driveway does that make me an irresponsible mother? I watch them like a hawk, but a 4 year old moves fast. They tried to make it to the driveway in time but was not able too.

posted on Aug, 16 2003 @ 04:48 PM
link   
No crime committed,if anything the guy will need psych help,but of course the legal system will turn it into a big property grab since that is their true purpose,money, money, money
If you do not have something to keep people from turning around in your driveway your kids are in danger,and it is your responsibility,you can watch your kids but what do you do about watching cars,how fast can you move to snatch your kids away from danger,maybe now you will put some kind of block in your driveway,or just wait till something goes very ,very wrong.

Like what happened in missouri.
The parent's fault.

posted on Aug, 16 2003 @ 04:52 PM
link   
I don't see how you can blame it on the parents.
A driveway is part of your house. The kid might have been walking across from his front door to reach the garden where he was playing.
The car might have been speeding when it it him as it was reversing.

There are so many possibles.
But it sounds like an accident.

The bottom line is that the guy should not have run away. But it is too early to call him evil.

posted on Aug, 16 2003 @ 05:01 PM
link   
If I am working in my driveway,I park a car on the end by the street,so no one can pull in and run me over.
If the driveway was open to traffic and the kid was on it, it's the parent's fault for not having the forethought to avoid what happened.
It's a really $hitty thing that happened,it happens everywhere,all over the world.

posted on Aug, 16 2003 @ 06:45 PM
link   
I think there are many factors that come into play when someone does something as negligent and fatal as that.

It really is a test of character, which the driver failed.

It reminds me of the spiked story from Iraq, of the military vehicle that drove over (fatally) a little boy, not stopping, leaving him with a distraught 11-year old sister at the side of the road and the embedded journalist mortified that they could not stop to help.

There was an opportunity to help someone in need, and there was also a reason for not stopping. Was that a test of character too, or not?

posted on Aug, 16 2003 @ 07:03 PM
link   
these things happen,but they would happen less if people payed closer attention.
the little boy in iraq died needlessly,since that whole war was,and is pointless.

posted on Aug, 17 2003 @ 09:11 AM
link   
Some people do not deserve their share of oxygen, food, water and other resources. But really you should keep an eye on the 4 year old even if your playing outside. The world is a different place your kid could be snatched in a sec.

posted on Aug, 17 2003 @ 09:28 AM
link   
Could the parents and others been more attentive to where the child was and what dangers were near, YES of course.

Could the guy driving taken extra special care so no damage would come from him backing up, YES of course.

I was not there to pick apart every detail to know who was more or less to blame than others nor will it help what happened, so why bother.

At that moment I can see imagine why someone would run. I would have probably colapsed beside the boy begging to exchange my life with his and in too much guilt to even utter a clear word. This guy at seeing what had happened may have just snapped and mentally needed to escape the reality which was now his to behold. The fact is though, nobody wanted it to happen and would have certainly done something to stop it had they seen it coming.

This is a very sad story, but I'm sure anyone who has ever driven a car has thought of just this happening to them....The little kid chasing a ball into the street unseen until too late. It's the situation we all hope never happens but know it could happen someday.

I feel sorry for everyone involved......

posted on Aug, 17 2003 @ 10:01 AM
link   
It is always good to know who God is,apparently it is you since you have the authority to judge who should live and die,thank you for making your divine status clear.

posted on Aug, 17 2003 @ 08:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by uNBaLaNCeD
It is always good to know who God is,apparently it is you since you have the authority to judge who should live and die,thank you for making your divine status clear.

[sarcasm] why thank you very much for your compliment[/sarcasm]

On a serious note I'm an asshole yes.

posted on Aug, 17 2003 @ 08:44 PM
link   
man, if I accidently ran over a child, i don't know what i'd do probably go into shock and die myself.

posted on Aug, 18 2003 @ 02:32 AM
link   
Sad, but things like that happen every day. It just causes us to realize that what we love most could be snatched in a second.

Lets treasure every moment with our loved ones.

posted on Aug, 18 2003 @ 03:11 AM
link   
In a world of evil there are only two rules:

1 is to act dead and hope for the best

2 is to die brave and hope that dying brave paid of in your next life

Although I feel for the kid who was killed, I also feel for the guy that ran, if you kill a child you know your life is over either way you look at it.

I see where this guy is comming from, its not his fault, its not anybodies fault.

It just is becuase it is.

My condolences to both lives lost, one for the boy and one for the man who killed him.

There is an old saying," if you let a blind man walk into a wall, then you are no better than the wall who hit him."

new topics

top topics

join