It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Well, they killed her....

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 17 2005 @ 01:02 PM
link   
.....would you care about this story if she were black? I'm sure you're enlightened people, so it's no judgement, just a question.
More importantly, would this story become a national soap opera? How about the runaway bride, or the pregnant Mrs. Peterson, or Mrs. Shiavo?

Would anything ever have been reported in the mainstream media nationally & incessently, if these women were men, or if they were not White?
There in lies the problem in America today - nonstop marketing of a higher value to one kind of life over another.......and that the "others" consumes the same media diet, yet don't see themselves in the Big Three TV rotation, or in the national tradegy share, is a burn of inequality at the most visceral level. Hell, their own elect representatives won't even unanimously vote against the lynching of their own fellow Americans of different colors

[edit on 17-6-2005 by Bout Time]

posted on Jun, 17 2005 @ 01:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bout Time
.....would you care about this story if she were black?

Would you have asked me this if I were? or if you weren't?

Are you suggesting we shouldn't care since she isn't?

Did you have this brain-fart because she wasn't?

whatever

posted on Jun, 17 2005 @ 02:56 PM
link   
= this question.

We're both White Val, but I think I'm seeing something here that you're missing. Like I said, it's not a comment on the rightful empathy for a lost life & parental anguish over it, it's the marketing of White = Worthy.

In the aforementioned cases, you don't see that? Or a better question: when was the last time you saw the runaway bride-missing teen-missing wife-right to life-drama for a person of color?

I found the article I read on the plane:

USA Today

Spotlight skips cases of missing minorities
By Mark Memmott, USA TODAY
Tamika Huston's family reported her missing a year ago this week.

When police in Spartanburg, S.C., began investigating the 24-year-old woman's disappearance, her loved ones swung into action. They distributed fliers, held news conferences and set up a Web site. Huston's story became a cause célèbre in the local media. (Related story: Aruban police search home of Dutch teen)

Huston lived alone and obviously hadn't been home for days, if not a week or two. Her dog, Macy, had given birth to puppies.

Rebkah Howard, Huston's aunt and a public relations professional in Miami, tried to get the national media interested in the case. "I spent three weeks calling the cable networks, calling newspapers — even yours," Howard said this week.

Not much happened.

Last August, Fox News Channel's On the Record with Greta Van Susteren briefly noted Huston's disappearance. Fox network's America's Most Wanted did a story about the case in March (it will be repeated this Saturday). National Public Radio did a report last month that, like this story, focused on the lack of interest in Huston's case.

Now, the disappearance of Alabama high school student Natalee Holloway, 18, in Aruba is getting lots of airtime on the cable news networks and morning news shows. Those networks, which drive such stories, are being asked a tough question: Do they care only about missing white women?

Holloway, like "runaway bride" Jennifer Wilbanks, murder victims Laci Peterson and Lori Hacking, kidnap victim Elizabeth Smart and several other girls and women whose stories got significant airtime in recent years, is white.

Tamika Huston is black.

Cable news executives say they don't pick stories based on the race of the victims. "The stories that 'go national' all have a twist or an emotional aspect to them that make them interesting," said Bill Shine, senior vice president of programming at Fox News.

"When the Aruba story broke, I didn't know if she (Holloway) was white," said Mark Effron, vice president of news/daytime programming at MSNBC.

He said he saw a story about "a parent's worst nightmare."

'Victims of a certain type'

Others say race has to be at least a subconscious factor:

• "Something is at work here, at a conscious or at least subconscious level, that leads them to choose victims of a certain type" to report about, said Eugene Robinson, syndicated columnist and associate editor at The Washington Post, who recently wrote about the issue.

• "Sometimes we become advocates for their families," said Philip Lerman, co-executive producer of America's Most Wanted and a former editor at USA TODAY. "It's stunning sometimes how hard it is to get the national media interested when it's a minority."

Why would national media ignore minorities? Among the most important reasons is a lack of diversity in newsrooms, say Robinson, Lerman and Keith Woods, dean of faculty at the Poynter Institute, a school for journalists.

"I'm not complaining about the story out of Aruba. I'm complaining about the stories that don't get told" because many reporters, editors and news producers identify more with people like them, who are white, Woods said.

The American Society of Newspaper Editors estimates 13% of journalists at newspapers are minorities (including Hispanics). In TV newsrooms, minorities make up about 22% of the workforce, according to the Radio-Television News Directors Association. About 32% of the U.S. population is non-white or Hispanic.

Woods and others say the media mislead the public about "typical" victims. FBI statistics show that men are slightly more likely than women to be reported as missing, and that blacks make up a disproportionately large segment of the victims. As of May 1, there were 25,389 men in the FBI's database of active missing persons cases, and 22,200 cases of women. Blacks accounted for 13,860 cases, vs. 29,383 whites.

The media spotlight can distort news in other ways, too. Other international destinations are more dangerous than Aruba. The State Department warned in April that 30 U.S. citizens had recently been kidnapped or murdered in Mexico.

Media influence

Media attention can affect how local authorities handle a case.

Detective Dwayne Baird, spokesman for the Salt Lake City police, has been through two rounds with the national media. Local teenager Elizabeth Smart, missing since November 2001, was found alive in March 2003. Last year, Lori Hacking, 27, was murdered by her husband. Both stories brought hundreds of journalists to the city.

Did the attention spur local police to request help from the FBI?

"Probably," Baird said. "We typically would ask for help from the FBI if they have resources that we don't have access to. But national attention can drive that issue. You can't stand before the public on a national story and say, 'We've got three guys dedicated to this, and sooner or later, we'll figure it out.' "

The FBI does not offer to get involved in missing persons probes because they're getting national attention, said spokesman Joe Parris, a supervisory special agent. The bureau "will get involved only if we have original jurisdiction or if we're invited in by a state, local or international partner," he said.

Howard conceded it's unlikely her niece is alive. This year, Huston's blood was found in an acquaintance's apartment. No suspect has been charged. National attention might generate clues, however. What Huston's family is asking for, Howard said, is balance.

"If you were dropped on to this planet you'd think there's a strange thing going on, where only young white women are missing," Howard said. "That's not true."

posted on Jun, 17 2005 @ 03:08 PM
link   
people of color can't afford tv's, so why should they cover those stories ?

ok, now I have your attention.

There is no doubt if you want to be rescued, you need to be a woman, white and blonde.......which is not only bad news for people of color but men in general, of all races....

msnbc.msn.com...
Media under fire for missing persons coverage
June 15, 2005Most of the missing adults tracked by the FBI are men. More than one-in-five of those abducted or kidnapped are black.

But you might not get that impression from the news media, and some journalism watchdogs are now taking the industry to task for what they see as a disproportionate emphasis on cases in which white girls and women — overwhelmingly upper-middle class and attractive — disappear.

posted on Jun, 17 2005 @ 06:04 PM
link   
The bias is obvious. Fox news plays loops of BS about this girl. I wonder how many people have been killed between her dissapearance and now?

I must be out of touch with mainstream America. I just don't see why this is such a big story.

posted on Jun, 17 2005 @ 06:22 PM
link   
Ohhhh you people......

Dont you get it? Missing white girls get media...

Black served last at Denny's get media...

Their your stories....you decide

posted on Jun, 17 2005 @ 06:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bout Time
= this question.

We're both White Val, but I think I'm seeing something here that you're missing. Like I said, it's not a comment on the rightful empathy for a lost life & parental anguish over it, it's the marketing of White = Worthy.

Agreed BT - I'm not part of that thingy - so I'm not sure why you tried to get to that point through me???

I have no argument against your point that the media wets itself on missing/dead white women and doesn't when they aren't.

posted on Jun, 17 2005 @ 07:19 PM
link   
a few nights ago Heraldo Rivera was doing the story from Aruba and was having an interview with the parents. A few minutes after the interview, the notation on the bottom disappeared, and changed to "parents being led to body" and "something bad happened". So this kid confessed a few days ago, but his lawyer must have jumped in and cut him off. That was up for about 15 seconds...it disappeared and went back to the old prompt. The parents came back and Heraldo asked a few more questions that went something like, "?what do you think about the authorities that keep changing the story on you"

Death isnt usually the punishment for neglegent behavior or bad choices, but we know that once in a while, it is. If I was with my friend who was bombed and she wanted to leave with someone, it wouldnt happen, because if she was bombed, I wouldnt have left her alone. This has happened in my presence. We dont know the facts yet though
The "blame" ofcoarse is on this maniac...But fault goes to the chaparones. This is THE REASON they are chaparones, because in this society, an 18 year old is usually not what we consider an adult.--usually not independant, and still in a transitional stage of life.--Just getting out on their own.

posted on Jun, 20 2005 @ 08:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by Valhall
Agreed BT - I'm not part of that thingy - so I'm not sure why you tried to get to that point through me???

'Cause, even my asbestos azz needs a break from getting flamed all the time!
Fella has to call out reasonable folks to avoid that, joo no?

posted on Jun, 20 2005 @ 09:01 AM
link   
sick people like this need to be exicuted or given life sentences with hard labor like bill oreily says. Many murders walk out of prison after 20 years or so even with life sentences.

posted on Jun, 20 2005 @ 09:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by mm77
I've learned recently that Aruba, a Dutch Caribbean island, is governed by a local parliament. The Netherlands Antilles is responsible for their foreign and defense affairs.

You've heard correctly...

It's too bad that I see this thread only now, almost ten days after it was started. She's not confirmed dead, and I think she may still be alive. The authorities never said that he confessed. The whole confession of murder and that "a bad thing happened" is a complete fabrication.

[edit on 20-6-2005 by TheBandit795]

posted on Jun, 21 2005 @ 10:51 AM
link   
Yes, TheBandit795, I take it for what that is- Sensationalism journalism. If Natalee Holloway is known by authorities to be dead, then it would be verified by authorities- even if no body has been found. The public's focus is needed in this case to be in the proper place so that Natalee Holloway will be found, thus right now everyone should be keeping watch out for her. Period.

posted on Jun, 21 2005 @ 12:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by mm77
The public's focus is needed in this case to be in the proper place so that Natalee Holloway will be found, thus right now everyone should be keeping watch out for her. Period.

Who do you mean by "everybody"???

posted on Jun, 22 2005 @ 09:47 AM
link   
TheBandit795 states

Who do you mean by everybody???

Every person who cares about finding Natalee Holloway. Everyone who cares about people. Everyone who watches out for their neighbor. It's personal to me because Natalee could easily be a sister, cousin, or friend.

posted on Jun, 22 2005 @ 10:27 AM
link   
MM77, there are millions of people who are lost right now on this planet, in Alabama only there are lots of lost children. Natalee is not the only person who's lost. I'm not going out looking for her here (there's more important things in my life than that). Although I hope they find her.

Furthermore I've just heard from very good grounds that she may have been in the company of a drugs dealer at the Boys II Men & Lauryn Hill concert the night she dissapeared. That's the same concert I went to.

And furthermore, the FBI is now questioning her parents... Something they should've done from day ONE.

posted on Jun, 22 2005 @ 11:52 AM
link   
So...whats the news? Is there now suspicion of foul play by the parents?

I don't even want to imagine what kind of parents would do that, I do doubt that happened though, I just don't want to think about it.

posted on Jun, 22 2005 @ 12:01 PM
link   
Was that a judge I saw on TV running away from the cameras?? Anytime a judge is running away from cameras you know the outcome is not going to be good. Just my opinion.

Peace

posted on Jun, 22 2005 @ 01:14 PM
link   
No, that just shows how intensely annoying the damn media is. I would run away too. I'd figure that it's not a nice feeling having camera's under your ass like that, under any circumstances.

All they want is the most sensational news as fast as possible, so it could add to their short term bottomline, and competition against the other newscrews. So in all of that they fail to realise how highly disturbing an annoying they are. So v/d Sloot had all rights to run.

The police also tried to avoid the media when carrying Joran v/d Sloot to the courthouse.

posted on Jun, 22 2005 @ 02:41 PM
link   
As I the only one who thinks there is a possiblility that she had had too much to drink or was on drugs and decided to go for one last swim before going home and just never made it out of the water. The guys could have dropped her off and she went near the hotel -- or -- it could have happened near the lighthouse and they were afraid that exactly what is happening would happen.

posted on Jun, 22 2005 @ 02:42 PM
link   
More info about the behaviour of young students from the U.S. when vacationing abroad:

Collegians' Caribbean revels long a concern for State Dept.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join