It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ATS users IP addresses?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 5 2005 @ 01:17 AM
link   
I think the problem here is a general lack of education among some people posting accusations.

You seem not to know anything about the internet or computers in general.

Let me enlighten you, in completely non-technical terms so it becomes very easy to understand.

You are accessing information from a computer. Right?

Good, we're on the same page.

You are connected to the Internet (assuming you're reading this thread.) Right?

Good, still with me.

When you open your browser and type in a website, that website gets a request for information. It responds to the request and you see what you were looking for. It's quite simple really.

Any website that wishes to stay functional for very long, for various reasons, keeps records of the IP addresses of those requesting information. If you don't want a certain website to have your IP address, DO NOT GO THERE.

This is the nature of communication on the Internet. I would suggest that those of you having a problem with this concept might be best off turning their computers off for good, because some of the sites people browse would make me a lot more concerned about privacy than ATS.

Instead of bickering like lunatics about ATS having your IP because YOU OPTED TO USE ITS FREE SERVICES, maybe use your energy to fight the domain administrators that are installing software on your PC without your consent, collecting information about sites you visit, and spamming you till death. That's ok? I'd worry more about them.

Might be better off not using the phone ever again because people will get your number when you initiate phone calls to them. I suppose some of the complainers here look back on Call ID as the tragic innovation that stopped them from using their anonymity to order pizza to friends' houses.

WhiteWidow, your conduct in particular makes no sense to me. Is ATS the only site you visit on the Internet? Do you raise such a ruckus on every site you browse through on why they have your IP? Or is it only here? In case you didn't know, each and every other site you go to has it too. Have you contacted their administrators as well?

At least on ATS you have administrators who respond to you and address your concerns, whether you understand their answers or not.

The point is, if you distrust the administration here to the point where you think that out of the trillions of websites logging your IP this is the only one "out to get you" or whatever, I must question why you still log in to it?

[edit on 6-5-2005 by Djarums]

posted on Jun, 5 2005 @ 07:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by Djarums
The point is, if you distrust the administration here to the point where you think that out of the trillions of websites logging your IP this is the only one "out to get you" or whatever, I must question why you still log in to it?

Simple. It's more fun for some people to be knee-jerk disruptive than take the time to contribute something thoughtful.

posted on Jun, 5 2005 @ 08:36 AM
link   

posted on Jun, 5 2005 @ 08:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by Odium

Just so you all know, every search you do on Yahoo!, Google, etc, it also logs your IPs. Nearly every site you ever visit does.

true enough,
but, those log on entries(IPs) are just 'cold, dispassionate, data'

at forums, a person is volunteering to make public additional info. and 'fleshing out' that cold, dispassionate, data.......then someone/
anyone with an agenda might be able to target an IP address of
that person.

btw....no organization is immune to 'malicious insiders'
i cite the recent flap over '100,000 customers'secure bank acct info being sold'
it was Googled from: it.slashdot.org.../05/23/1915254?from=rss
but has since been removed???

i agree with the consensus, no site is safe, we all considered the options,
for myself- the rewards outweighed risks of joining ats

posted on Jun, 5 2005 @ 09:35 AM
link   
This thread became a geek haven.

posted on Jun, 5 2005 @ 10:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by White Widow

Well, first off, you say it like it's a bad thing. To be a geek is great, it means you've got a great knowledge of certain things. Is it wrong to know things, especially things that some people don't bother knowing but use everyday?

Secondly, what are you adding by that? A cheap insult because people called you out? If you're going to insult someone, at least do it intelligently.

posted on Jun, 5 2005 @ 07:12 PM
link   
Thank you for that amz. I get alot of fire for being a math geek, and trust me, i really don't care.

posted on Jun, 5 2005 @ 08:16 PM
link   
Tom, most people doing that are generally compensating for their own shortcomings.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with knowing what you're talking about.

If a person wishes to come and lay out accusations with no factual backup and then when people try to reply to them in kind and offer explanations... well when the reaction is "geek" you can plainly tell the person had no interest in taking the question seriously, but rather was out to start trouble.

The specifics have been sufficiently explained by anyone's standards I think. Making a mountain out of a molehill isn't the most productive activity around.

posted on Jun, 5 2005 @ 09:30 PM
link   
Gee, I hope I am one of the "geeks" the poster was refering to! I aspire to geek-hood!

I am a martial arts geek, among other things and the joke is:

Q: What is the difference between a martial arts geek and a Trekkie?

A: Not much but the martial arts geek might beat the cr*p out of you if you make fun of them...

posted on Jun, 6 2005 @ 06:25 AM
link   

The specifics have been sufficiently explained by anyone's standards I think. Making a mountain out of a molehill isn't the most productive activity around.

Where i am from, it can be the only activity around.

Anyway, the truth is that anyone concerned with who's got their ip address should be more careful where they spend time online.
Conscerned but uninformed. Tsk,tsk!

posted on Jun, 6 2005 @ 10:23 AM
link   
I'm a geek. People think I'm geek bc I read financial books, and i love conspiracy theories, and the government, and math. High school kids can be brutual. At least I'll be richer then them when i'm older.

posted on Jun, 6 2005 @ 01:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by alias101
and i love conspiracy theories, and the government, and math.

You love the government?! Wow, you ARE a geek!

j/k j/k

posted on Jun, 6 2005 @ 06:24 PM
link   
This thread is certainly entertaining...of course ATS logs IP addresses, as every message board should. How do you expect to ban people who could pose a threat to the board, or simply log on to harass others? Every single website you visit will know your IP address. It would be one thing if the IPs were displayed next to user names on the forum, but they are private and probably only known to skepticoverlord....I'm sure he has lots of fun sending all of your IP addresses to government agencies in his spare time, but come on, who really posts anything that could get them in trouble anyway?

If you don't like the idea of losing your privacy, then setup a proxy in your web browser, or just don't log on to the internet. It's your own choice.

posted on Jun, 6 2005 @ 07:51 PM
link   
Anyone can obtain anyone elses IP. It is as simple as that. If you are versed in computer knowledge and know what you are doing you can obtain someones IP as easily as a scan. I won't go into details on how to get someones IP. But believe me anyone can get yours. If the gov't has red flagged you or are just curious on what you are doing they can get your IP within seconds.

As SO stated earlier it would be stupid of him not to keep users IP addresses, considering how many kiddy scripts there are out there, who think they are cool by using someone elses programs to mess with this site.

I commend SO for taking the time for all the users of ATS. He commits more then enough time maintaining ATS. Everyone should thank him instead of the select few who choose to get mad for absolutely no constructive reasons.

Keep up the good work William!

posted on Jun, 7 2005 @ 01:52 PM
link   
I read thru this post, up until the second page of posts, this WITD guy u were all talking about, what exactly were the "briefs" of what he was talking about? he must have been talking about some really interesting stuff! if anyone's got any links, or anything can they drop it in for me? lol thanks!

posted on Jun, 9 2005 @ 10:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by Amorymeltzer

Well, first off, you say it like it's a bad thing. To be a geek is great, it means you've got a great knowledge of certain things. Is it wrong to know things, especially things that some people don't bother knowing but use everyday?

Secondly, what are you adding by that? A cheap insult because people called you out? If you're going to insult someone, at least do it intelligently.

Hey dumbass, geek means freak, circus freaks.
You mean nerd.
Before you quote me, get the terms right, geek.
I can't believe you're a mod.

[edit on 9-6-2005 by White Widow]

posted on Jun, 9 2005 @ 11:50 AM
link   

You mean nerd.

Oh snap, he just called everyone nerds, what should we do?

You will be banned soon enough. If you don't like it here, leave.

posted on Jun, 9 2005 @ 04:06 PM
link   

You mean nerd.

You really need want to verify things before yourself become a dumbass. Woops, too late.

en.wikipedia.org...

Misfit

posted on Jun, 9 2005 @ 04:52 PM
link   
Score one for the Geeks!

Nice Wiki Link!

posted on Jun, 9 2005 @ 05:45 PM
link   
I think we've all learned enough here, no? If you're worried about your IP address being found, get off the internet.

Watch yourself white widow.

Closed.

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join