It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ATS users IP addresses?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 3 2005 @ 06:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Odium
The best they can do is ask for a British Citizen to be sent to America for Trial, which would never happen because of the outcry it would cause or ask for us to place a British Citizen on Trial.

Which is going on right now.
news.bbc.co.uk...
www.iht.com...

If this guy is extradited, a precedent will have been set.

The US/UK Extradition Treaty is only awaiting ratification from the U.S. Senate and it's gonna be a free-for-all.

posted on Jun, 3 2005 @ 07:07 PM
link   
English law provides for the right of people to act in a manner that would be otherwise unlawful in order to preserve the physical integrity of themselves or others or to prevent any crime. It is provided in both common law and more specifically in the Criminal Law Act (1967). If such a defence is proved to the satisfaction of the court then the person is fully acquitted of the charges against them.

The act of protection must fulfill a number of conditions in order to be lawful. The defendant must believe, rightly or wrongly, that the attack is imminent. While a pre-emptive blow is lawful the time factor is also important, if there is an opportunity to retreat or to obtain protection from the police the defendant should do so—demonstrating an intention to avoid violence. However the defendant is not obliged to leave a particular location even if forewarned of the arrival of an assailant.

The other key factor is reasonableness—the defendant's response must be necessary and in proportion to the nature of the attack. The harm inflicted on the assailant must not exceed the harm being avoided by the defendant. However, like immanency, the nature of the defence rests on the defendant's belief of whether their actions were in proportion to the circumstances they believed existed.

posted on Jun, 3 2005 @ 07:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by wecomeinpeace

Originally posted by Odium
The best they can do is ask for a British Citizen to be sent to America for Trial, which would never happen because of the outcry it would cause or ask for us to place a British Citizen on Trial.

Which is going on right now.
news.bbc.co.uk...
www.iht.com...

If this guy is extradited, a precedent will have been set.

The US/UK Extradition Treaty is only awaiting ratification from the U.S. Senate and it's gonna be a free-for-all.

It's only a Magistrates Court, means nothing. The precedent will only be binding on courts of equal or lower status then a Magistrates. You have 5 Courts (European Court of Justice, House of Lords, Court of Appeal, High Court and County Court) above that he will appeal to by British Law before they can extradite him which will take a long while and on an important piece of new law like this I'd be shocked if the House of Lords doesn't get involved.

posted on Jun, 3 2005 @ 07:12 PM
link   
I love British laws. The second part reminded me about U.S. and self-defense but the difference is that if someone hit you you could kill them. Well last time I checked anyways

posted on Jun, 3 2005 @ 07:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by 9890
I love British laws. The second part reminded me about U.S. and self-defense but the difference is that if someone hit you you could kill them. Well last time I checked anyways

Pretty much, in America you can use deadly force if you can't retreat or can't protect yourself in another way in England and Wales, you can use deadly force if they would be attempting to kill you. (Although it is hard to proove that.)

posted on Jun, 3 2005 @ 07:24 PM
link   
Here's another case:
edition.cnn.com...

Be interesting to see the outcomes of these cases. The extradition treaty has yet to be ratified by Washington, but it is already in effect in the UK.

cnn.com
The new "fast-track" Anglo-American extradition treaty, which came into force at the start of this year, means U.S. officials no longer have to produce in a British court prima facie (first impression) evidence of an offence -- just a statement of facts of the alleged offence.

The U.S. hopes it can use the treaty to extradite Abu Hamza without lengthy legal wrangling that has dogged other cases, the UK's Press Association says.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

posted on Jun, 3 2005 @ 07:50 PM
link   
I'm very interested in this, I think it'd see a major shift in our rights if this is brought in although I'm hoping the Law Lords will throw it out once the case is taken up to them. OH well, 6 years time it'll be me defending "Terrorists" in the Lords. lol

posted on Jun, 3 2005 @ 07:56 PM
link   
Its funny how the mods and super mods say that we are too paranoid. Can I have all of there IP addresses?

ATS=The Man.

posted on Jun, 3 2005 @ 09:57 PM
link   
I certainly hope the admins of this site are not stupid enough to keep a record of our IPs. It is not that hard to set up the server not to.

posted on Jun, 3 2005 @ 10:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by White Widow
ATS=The Man.

Originally posted by opensecret1150
I certainly hope the admins of this site are not stupid enough to keep a record of our IPs. It is not that hard to set up the server not to.

Now we're just getting insulting here. It would be highly "stupid" for the administrator of an online community not to associate member IP's with posts. We've had enough attacks on our systems to know better.

If you don't trust the operators of this site, then leave. It's that simple.

-pft-

posted on Jun, 3 2005 @ 11:00 PM
link   

admins of this site are not stupid enough to...

While using this statement, you are doing no got to yourself, no matter how you complete it.

posted on Jun, 3 2005 @ 11:39 PM
link   
Hmmm...Paying a little extra attention to this thread, aren't we now.

posted on Jun, 3 2005 @ 11:44 PM
link   

Primarily from your insulting comment.

I suppose you'll read all manner of innuendo into my response, or lack of response, or type of response, or tone of response... and so on.

There's only one solution if you don't trust this board.

posted on Jun, 4 2005 @ 12:25 AM
link   
Besides I'm sure all of them pay attention to all the threads just find no need to post in them about this stuff. Which is a good thing. Most people are nice to the admins, super mods, and mods considering they take their time to support ATS and all that good stuff. Please don't interpret this as butt kissing though it may sound like it.

posted on Jun, 4 2005 @ 10:10 AM
link   
Your IP address is your internet address. If you browse the internet, your IP is where you "live." If you send someone a letter (snail-mail) then you need to include your address in order to hear back from them.

Just don't write to anyone if you don't want them to know where you live.

After all, the USPS knows where you live!

posted on Jun, 4 2005 @ 10:32 AM
link   
I just want to tell our gov. that if they are watching this site, contact me. Ill sell the commies here out..i got no problem with that. Why waste an agents time on this site. I can email them links everyday, of all the crazies that need to be monitored.

posted on Jun, 4 2005 @ 10:34 AM
link   
Poor choice of words on my part I guess. I have no reason to mistrust the admins of this site. For my own part I have software which gives me the ability to totally hide my IP address.

It is interesting to me that a a site rife with anti-government writing, including predictions of a a paramilitary takeover (and concurrent end to civil liberties) might not be a bit paranoid about handing over the identities of potential resisters to the authorities.

Let me restate my original position more politely:

In my opinion the site Admins (Skeptic Overlord and others, I suppose) should consider having IP logs expire after a certain period of time, perhaps two weeks, and additionally should securely erase hard disks once a month.

My apologies.

[edit on 4-6-2005 by opensecret1150]

[edit on 4-6-2005 by opensecret1150]

posted on Jun, 4 2005 @ 10:43 AM
link   
Just so you all know, every search you do on Yahoo!, Google, etc, it also logs your IPs. Nearly every site you ever visit does.

/whipsers
They're out to get you.
end whisper\

posted on Jun, 4 2005 @ 11:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by SkepticOverlord

Primarily from your insulting comment.

I suppose you'll read all manner of innuendo into my response, or lack of response, or type of response, or tone of response... and so on.

There's only one solution if you don't trust this board.

So you find it offensive that I said "ATS=The Man".
Yet,
You govern a website (which is understandable),
You're holding elections,
etc.

Just like a government.

I'm not trying to push your buttons, just to open eyes.
There are a few "things" on this site that just don't jive. But thats not the topic.

Deny Ignorance.

Sorry for any troubles...Skeptic.

[edit on 4-6-2005 by White Widow]

posted on Jun, 4 2005 @ 11:51 AM
link   
My, aren't we all paranoid and skeptic at the same time?

Try Godlike Productions Forums, you may post anonymously but you would still be identified with IP via "user ID".

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join