It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Prayer for our Schools

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 2 2005 @ 09:48 AM
link   

You know, if you want to be taught that God created us, and all that mess, there are Christian schools available.

Furthermore, why is the theory you mentioned "stupid?" Because you know better, or because another theory states otherwise?

Well ok then lets just say the public schools are for atheists and others who want to believe in the evolution theory.

Yes the theory is stupid because it cant be proven thats why its a theory.

posted on Jun, 2 2005 @ 10:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheApocalypse
Well ok then lets just say the public schools are for atheists and others who want to believe in the evolution theory.

Public schools are for everyone.. and do not teach kids there is no god.. that is up to parents to teach.

Yes the theory is stupid because it cant be proven thats why its a theory.

It has been proven.. it's just that the thousands of facts supporting it isn't enough for people who would rather believe the earth is only a couple of thousand years old and an old guy in the sky waved his hand and created everything.
What scientific facts support this? Teaching THAT to children in a science class would be the height if stupidity.

[edit on 2-6-2005 by riley]

posted on Jun, 2 2005 @ 10:26 AM
link   
So somehow we came from reptiles or some bang just happend and the universe was created thats completely stupid the bibles predictions show more support than those theories.

posted on Jun, 2 2005 @ 10:46 AM
link   

So somehow we came from reptiles or some bang just happend and the universe was created thats completely stupid

And why is it stupid? You need to actually elaborate on your opinions instead of having temper tantrums. Calling it names isn't going to make it untrue.

edit- I just realise you're a kid.. please try and keep an open mind- many people who don't believe in evolution simply do not want to believe in it as their vanity doesn't allow them to accept that we are related to chimps.. try not to let your ego get in the way of gaining knowledge.

posted on Jun, 2 2005 @ 11:18 AM
link   
... narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it.

--Jesus Christ, Matthew 7:14

I'm not keeping open-minded to the beliefs of an atheist.

posted on Jun, 2 2005 @ 11:19 AM
link   

Also how exactly am I throwing a temper tantrum?

posted on Jun, 2 2005 @ 11:31 AM
link   

That proverb could apply to yourself quite easily.
You can learn about evolution while still believing in god.

Also how exactly am I throwing a temper tantrum?

You obviously have not looked into evolution.. instead you just went for the "It's just stupid so there' without backing up your opinion. What also came across as infantile is

You obviously hold alot of contempt for all atheists.. this statement is almost as though you consider them dirt. I have not time for biggotry.. and considering christ was supposedly against it.. neither should you.

posted on Jun, 2 2005 @ 11:35 AM
link   
Evolution is just another theory to deny God.

posted on Jun, 2 2005 @ 11:47 AM
link   
Thats your argument?
No doubt thats what the grown ups in your life have taught you. Thankfully.. they don't get to decide what is taught to other people's children.. otherwise the human race would never progress.

posted on Jun, 2 2005 @ 12:46 PM
link   
So if Christianity was gone we would progress faster?

posted on Jun, 2 2005 @ 01:21 PM
link   

So if Christianity was gone we would progress faster?

Long ago.. people feared that admitting our planet is round would destroy christianity. It didn't.. neither will evolution.. it's the 'message' that is suppose to be important isn't it? .. if you're more worried about how we became human more than what one had to say his message is obviously lost on you. Answering your question.. it would depend on the form of christianty.. teaching kids the world is only 6000 years old and that adam and eve is the origin of all humanity would be a very bad foundation for the all those future kids that want to become scientists when they grow up. Obviously.. you are not one of those.. but would you rather them not be taught facts so you can feel secure in what you believe? Would you rather have humanity wait another 200 years before we settle on other worlds while half the land on this planet covers with water making them inhospitable [ozone layer]? Your God is not going to do these jobs for us.. and without knowledge these jobs cannot be done.

posted on Jun, 2 2005 @ 02:40 PM
link   
TheApocalypse - dont give up!

Also, riley..... the book of Genesis is like the foundation of our beliefs, it explains how things got this way. The Bible doesnt say anything about the earth being flat..... it does say how the world was formed. Also, what would be so bad about us PRAYING for the kids in school? If you dont believe it, what would you care about our prayers? If they dont do anything.... then no big deal. I only wanted to get people to join me in praying for kids in school. I didnt want a religious argument. Besides, why do you try so hard to deny us, while still saying you should be tolerant of other religions? You are a hypocrite. I wonder why you try so hard to deny Christianity and Judaism, even Islam, but tell about your religion and about tolerance......

posted on Jun, 2 2005 @ 03:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by DanD9
TheApocalypse - dont give up!

Is this the inquisitions is it?

Also, riley..... it does say how the world was formed.

It says it was formed in six days.. six thousand years ago. Spread your ignorance elsewhere.. just don't poison kids with it.

Also, what would be so bad about us PRAYING for the kids in school? If you dont believe it, what would you care about our prayers? If they dont do anything.... then no big deal. I only wanted to get people to join me in praying for kids in school. I didnt want a religious argument.

I beg to differ. You did not start a post condemning massacres in schools.. you started one condemning atheism.. how many atheist kids have massacred? How many pulled the trigger saying 'god told them to do it'? Don't pretend you were just wanting to 'pray'.. if you really wanted to do that you would be praying for kids to be loved [as what what was suppose to have been Jesus' message].. not praying for their conversion or promoting hate against atheism. You put all that effort into your original post promoting christianity.. yet don't even bother promoting tollerence as you are meant to and have the gall to call me a hypcrite.

Besides, why do you try so hard to deny us, while still saying you should be tolerant of other religions? You are a hypocrite. I wonder why you try so hard to deny Christianity and Judaism, even Islam, but tell about your religion and about tolerance......

Throwing stones now? I doubt very much you would be at all tolerent of of your children praying with ones who consider mother nature to be their god.
This is what you were 'praying' for:

'Lord, please help the schools.You told us that it is not Your will that any should perish, but that all should come to You. Please carry out your will in our schools, and save the children from the temptation to become atheist as the schools teach. In the name of Jesus Christ, amen.

I pray for the schools because I am in them, and almost all of my friends are atheist because of the curriculum of evolution and other BS.'

Did you pray for love? No. You pray that kids are taught to believe in YOUR god. Did you 'pray' against hate? No. Did you pray against the 'temptation' to join gangs? No. Against child abuse? No. Against the temptations of drug addiction? No. Poverty? No. Did you pray against biggotry and division? No.. clearly you want to create it.

posted on Jun, 2 2005 @ 03:10 PM
link   
Personally, I do not have a problem with non-religion being taught in schools. I also would not have a problem if Islam was taught, or Judaism, or Christianity, or Hinduism, or Buddhism.

One should be able to teach their children their beliefs. Other beliefs are simply "obstacles" to overcome. If those other beliefs are taught in school, it only makes the parents job "more difficult".

This is the problem with schools, the parents do not want to add anything to the education of their children. Neither non-religious nor religous people want to have to teach their children an opposing lesson than what the children learn at school.

That aside, here is something to think about: If the first amendment protects the right of people to have non-religious beliefs, it should also protect people from non-religious beliefs.

[edit on 2-6-2005 by Raphael_UO]

posted on Jun, 2 2005 @ 03:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Raphael_UO
Neither non-religious nor religous people want to have to teach their children an opposing lesson than what the children learn at school.

Exactly. We are forever on the brink of holy war in the real world- it's kind of reassuring to know that religion is not forced [for now] onto the playground.. they need some sort of sanctuary from the 6:00 news.

posted on Jun, 2 2005 @ 03:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by riley
Exactly. We are forever on the brink of holy war in the real world- it's kind of reassuring to know that religion is not forced [for now] onto the playground.. they need some sort of sanctuary from the 6:00 news.

But yet, I would wager you have no problem with Luke Whitson being told he could not read his bible at recess.

Religion should neither be forced onto nor off of the playground.

[edit on 2-6-2005 by Raphael_UO]

posted on Jun, 2 2005 @ 03:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Raphael_UO
But yet, I would wager you have no problem with Luke Whitson being told he could not read his bible at recess.

Of course you would.. but I am not a biggot.
I would have a big problem with someone preventing a kid from reading a bible- I admit I'd much rather see him playing with a footy with the other kids though but if that is what he is interested in it shouldn't be repressed.

Religion should neither be forced onto nor off of the playground.

I agree.. kids like to play on the playground.. it's very healthy for them to learn about eachother's religions/cultures in a positive social context.

posted on Jun, 2 2005 @ 04:51 PM
link   
What religion in school does?

I grew up in a time when evolution was explained in school alone with the celebration of baby Jesus during Christmas and the death during Easter. We had one entire week in Easter for that.

This was when "evangelist" was not a big religion in my Island and the Catholic church was dominant.

When the new reborn evangelist became the trend I was in junior high, the students that were "converted" were granted permission to have prayer meetings in the school grounds during lunch.

Everything was fine and dandy until they started the bullying against anybody that was not "evangelist" harassment in the school ground started and we became scared of their “preaching” tactics.

Been told at 14 that if you didn't worship like them you will go to hell is not something that a teen wanted to hear at the time.

The prayer meetings became preaching with adults coming to do the preaching to the point that it started to become disruptive to the school.

That is when the parents came together and complain to the school system.

The prayer and preaching were stopped.

That is what happens when religious groups try to take over the beliefs of others, with intimidation and harassment.

Hatred and intolerance are always to follow.

This was back in 1975 in Puertorrico.

Our beliefs and what we worship starts at home, is not the school job to preach or teach what religion is the best.

When a child is an atheist is because the parents at home are atheists too, not because the school has told the child to be one while teaching evolution.

Deny ignorance.

posted on Jun, 2 2005 @ 06:53 PM
link   

Our beliefs and what we worship starts at home, is not the school job to preach or teach what religion is the best.

When a child is an atheist is because the parents at home are atheists too, not because the school has told the child to be one while teaching evolution.

That is a big lie. My friend who has parents that are Christians and he is an atheist so you can't really prove that just because the parents are a certain religion doesnt mean the child will be that religion.

posted on Jun, 2 2005 @ 07:14 PM
link   
My mom used to be christian, but I was too "smart" (proud) to believe it, I thought that what the school taught was true. I didnt really think for myself, and most kids dont think for themselves. Later, my mom became buddhist and so both my parents were satanists/ "atheists". That was when I was 8. 6 years later, my parents were still atheists and I was too. Someone talked to me about God a few times and prayed for me. I know that I was too proud to believe what he was saying, but his prayers were effective and God softened my heart and I gave it a try. Afterwards I got the Holy Spirit in me, and trust me, you know its there when it talks to you. So there is proof that it doesnt matter what your parents are, most kids convert to atheism. It also has to do with peer pressure. (Although when I became atheist, I was in a very God-fearing region. I didnt become christian until I moved here, where there are no Christians almost.)

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join