It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"POINTS" to become the New "Monetary System" of ATS/BTS?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 26 2005 @ 03:01 PM
link   
ATS/BTS is fast becoming a new cyber community. As we all know, every community/society needs a monetary system to enable the trade of goods and services. Perhaps "points" could serve as "our" monetary unit. Points could be used, for example, to purchase custom avatars from our more talented members. Perhaps points could be used to "pay" for research solicited by one member from researchers who are more adept in this field. Or, maybe, points could be used simply as a personal reward, gift or kudo's from one member to another member. In theory, we could even have a sort of "stock" market where members could speculate their "points" on news trends or even the debating performance of their favorite posters. I won't even bring up the concept of out and out gambling using points as "chips". The only thing we need is the method of transfer for points, a bank and perhaps the development of ATS/BTS' own stock exchange.

[edit on 5/26/2005 by benevolent tyrant]

posted on May, 26 2005 @ 03:22 PM
link   
i totally agree
(best smiley smiley i could find, sorry) that would give people more incentive to get points! so everyone would post more and it would be a better community! because, what is there to buy in the shops now? :shk: nothing!
more u2u quota? who cares? there should also be more smilies that you have to pay for! i mean- theres LOADS here, but there could be more!!! i love these things!
if you dont think this is a good idea, i will and :bash: and
you! only jokin! please tell me why it wouldnt, i dont see a flaw!!! or else
lol!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[edit on 26-5-2005 by Paranoid Pain]

posted on May, 26 2005 @ 03:30 PM
link   
Everyone would just spam for points! Thats the flaw! Check and mate! Your a

posted on May, 26 2005 @ 03:37 PM
link   
you get
for spamming!!!!!!!! the
would just be a bit stricter! i got out of your so called "checkmate"(which is impossible by the way)

posted on May, 26 2005 @ 04:13 PM
link   
repeat spammers could be "fined" -- after a "trial" in ATS/BTS court, of course. An argument could be made by the defense for the "offending posts", the prosecution (mods) would state their position and a "jury" of randomly selected ATS/BTS posters could "decide" the case. Jurors, of course would be "paid" in ATS/BTS points, "lawyers" for the defense could be "paid" by the defendant if he chose to "hire" an "attorney". If the defendant lost his case, he would be given a fine or even "banned" from ATS/BTS for an established period. If the accused "won" his case, he might be awarded "damages". Hmmmmmmmmm. This is starting to resemble one aspect of a real society or community. What do you think?

posted on May, 26 2005 @ 04:25 PM
link   
every time I consider this concept of "points as a monetary unit" for ATS/BTS, the idea seems to have merit. If someone wanted to, he/she could actually purchase points using "paypal". Then, ATS/BTS would be financed to a point where points could be used to purchase real commodities such as t-shirts, mugs, etc. And then there is the concept of having a lottery.....for, say, ten points, you can purchase a lottery ticket and you might win a hundred or a thousand...... or you can pay for the services of an avatar designer with points.....or you give a birthday gift or somesuch thing to a favorite poster..... or you could sue someone for defamation, take him/her to court. the trial could take place on a thread with defense statements and prosecution statements. There would be jury selection (jurists are paid with points) and lawyers for the prosecution and the defense could also be paid with points. It's endless.

posted on May, 27 2005 @ 05:17 AM
link   
exactly!!!!!! its the perfect thing for ATS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! maybe we could ask the admin if it could be the system! and then you might get applausE!

posted on May, 27 2005 @ 08:40 AM
link   
I am currently selling ATS points at US$5/point. Discounts available for large purchases. U2U wecomeinpeace for more details.

external image

posted on May, 27 2005 @ 12:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by wecomeinpeace
I am currently selling ATS points at US$5/point. Discounts available for large purchases. U2U wecomeinpeace for more details.
...Hmmmm.....$5 US a point sounds a tad bit "inflationary" but, nevertheless, linking "points" to the American Dollar sounds interesting...but I would think that a point should be worth one cent....that is $1.00/US per 100 points would be a rational, easy to understand, standard. But, I have to ask, what else (besides the previously mentioned ideas) could points be used to buy; i.e.; points to purchase blog space per month, points used to purchase e-mail priviledge per month, etc.

[edit on 5/27/2005 by benevolent tyrant]

posted on May, 27 2005 @ 12:27 PM
link   
welcome in peace beat me to it, I was about to come and pimp my points out, lol

point whoring ( does that get modded
) is already a bit of an issue in some threads that i've seen, imagine if this system goes into effect..........
we'll have an all out
for points.

posted on May, 27 2005 @ 12:31 PM
link   
>
>
*shoots Oblivions void and steals his points*

posted on May, 27 2005 @ 12:35 PM
link   
I do not leave in peace, had to
and give me my
points back no bow
to great talking

okay bye bye now

[edit on 5/27/2005 by Oblivions void]

posted on May, 27 2005 @ 12:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by benevolent tyrant
I have to ask, what else could points be used to buy; i.e.; points to purchase blog space per month, points used to purchase e-mail priviledge per month, etc.

Blogs are free. And you used to be able to purchase an @abovetopsecret.com webmail address for 15000 points, but looking now, the option seems to have been removed.

*hits benevolent tyrant with a chair and steals his points too*

posted on Jun, 11 2005 @ 03:22 PM
link   
With the ATS/BTS election almost over, I would hope that some action is taken on this points/currency of the ATS/BTS site concept. It certainly would give more meaning to points other than to clearly designate the individual with the most time on his/her hands. (j/k).

posted on Jun, 11 2005 @ 06:38 PM
link   
*eyes wecomeinpeace through a sniperscope until he has consolidated all the points.......*

[edit on 11-6-2005 by MemoryShock]

[edit on 11-6-2005 by MemoryShock]

posted on Jun, 11 2005 @ 06:40 PM
link   

posted on Jun, 11 2005 @ 06:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lysergic

posted on Jun, 11 2005 @ 08:15 PM
link   
Look at the dancing banana. Loooooook~~~...

BAM!! BA-BLAM!!

*Steals the unconscious Lysergic's points, leaving him with a measly 85...purely out of pity*
==>

MemoryShock is next...

Is it just me or is this sick little puppy actually enjoying the beating? ==>

posted on Jun, 11 2005 @ 08:24 PM
link   
*keeps eye on wecomeinpeace*

top topics

join