It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Calling All Masons

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 24 2005 @ 11:31 PM
link   
I'm looking at adding another generation to the existing 16 Freemasons in my family. All my life i've been exposed to Freemasonry and have come to accept it as a way of life, a tradition, an honor. What is peaking my interest at the moment though is a need for historical knowledge of the Freemason society itself, i'm not simply looking for a timeline, i'm searching for a most in depth historical account of what Freemasonry is as close to day one as humanly possible. How Freemasonry began, How the idea came about, what were the original aims, what was accomplished, most notable masons, etc.

I know this is a big request to fill, but I thirst for knowledge...and while nothing in or out of this world will affect the submittance of my petition I still want to learn it ALL. So as a future brother, I am asking for the help of those who would know best, existing or previous Masons.

For this I would be extremely grateful.

-Bob

posted on May, 25 2005 @ 12:03 AM
link   
While I'm not a Mason (yet) I have done alot of research on the subject, and perhaps can offer some links that might interest you.

The first two are links to what is widely accepted as the first Masonic document, commonly called the Regius Manuscript. It was written somewhere near 1390 AD.

freemasonry.bcy.ca...

www.masonicsites.org...

The third is just a good starting place. There are several good articles linked to on this page, and a wealth of information, as well as a discussion forum chock full of Masons who may be able to answer your questions from personal experience, or who may be able to point you to more info. There is a ton of good information out there for anyone who is inclined to wade through the muck, as you seem to be.

www.thelodgeroom.com...

Also, as always, another great source of information is: www.masonicinfo.com...

I hope you will find this information useful, and good luck on your search.

[edit on 5/25/05 by The Axeman]

posted on May, 25 2005 @ 02:38 AM
link   
Get a series of books titled "The History of Freemasonry" by Dr. Albert Mackey.

posted on May, 25 2005 @ 01:05 PM
link   
I've read mackey's "History of Freemasonry: Legendary Origins", which focuses on the legends, such as Hiram Abif/Adoniram, Pythagoras, etc, and also the legends about their origings.

IE, there's a chapter called something like 'Freemasons and the Knights Templar" or "Freemasonry and the Socinians" (c.f modern christian unitarians) or "THe Rosicrucians" and "The Royal Society" (a scientific discourse group) or "Freemasons and Henry the 8th" and even subjects like 'The legend of the Dionysian Artificers" and even a section on 'The Legends of the Smith". Great Read

It also, I should note, has transcripts of parts of the old 'Constituions', apparently the founding charters and such, and goes into the history of some of the old documents and their reliability and such.

[edit on 25-5-2005 by Nygdan]

posted on May, 25 2005 @ 01:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nygdan
I've read mackey's "History of Freemasonry: Legendary Origins", which focuses on the legends, such as Hiram Abif/Adoniram, Pythagoras, etc, and also the legends about their origings.

...Great Read

Yeah, we have the whole set in our lodge library. The only problem is that the library has kinda not been maintained, so all the books are covered in a thick layer of dust, so I'm afraid to get near them. Otherwise I would LOVE to just lock myself up in my home on a rainy weekend and just read them cover-to-cover. One day I will...

posted on May, 25 2005 @ 02:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by sebatwerk
Yeah, we have the whole set in our lodge library. The only problem is that the library has kinda not been maintained, so all the books are covered in a thick layer of dust, so I'm afraid to get near them. Otherwise I would LOVE to just lock myself up in my home on a rainy weekend and just read them cover-to-cover. One day I will...

Aw, come on, Seb! You're not afraid of a little dust are you?

You know you can get protective breathing gear and hazmat suits from Alex Jones' website, don't you?

posted on May, 25 2005 @ 03:02 PM
link   

...and even a section on 'The Legends of the Sith". Great Read

Legends of the SITH?

Great Read?

I'm just fooling around - could not resist!

posted on May, 25 2005 @ 09:00 PM
link   

I've read mackey's "History of Freemasonry

Nygdan,

I'm impressed! You're not a Mason (right?) and you've read all seven volumes of Mackey's "History of Freemasonry?" Wow! Kudos to you!

posted on May, 26 2005 @ 02:07 PM
link   
The book I read was just on the legendary history. I wasn't aware that there was an entire series from Mackey. Or do you think that the book I have is a condensed version? Sort of like how you can get a 'single book' with the title 'Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire', when its really a multi-book series.

Ha, no, I'm not a mason. Wait, if I say I am, do I get in on the Illuminati-freemason conspiracy to rule the world???

posted on May, 26 2005 @ 03:00 PM
link   

The book I read was just on the legendary history. I wasn't aware that there was an entire series from Mackey. Or do you think that the book I have is a condensed version? Sort of like how you can get a 'single book' with the title 'Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire', when its really a multi-book series.

Could be. Mackey wrote a 7 volume set but it may exist in a condensed version. Quite a bit of his work has been printed in other volumes, etc.

Ha, no, I'm not a mason. Wait, if I say I am, do I get in on the Illuminati-freemason conspiracy to rule the world???

I'm only a 32nd Degree so all I could do is offer you assistant Benevolent Dictator of Southeast Missouri and Western Tennessee at the moment.

posted on May, 26 2005 @ 03:07 PM
link   
There is actually a book called "Freemasonry for Dummies" book I saw (from the "For Dummies" people) at the book store available for Sept 2005 preorder.
It seems like it will be a pop quiz run through of the basics, addresses the conspiracy theory populist ideas, and a run through of the history of Freemasonry. I was wondering if this is seen as a joke, blasphemy, or a good tool?

posted on May, 26 2005 @ 03:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by 8bitagent
There is actually a book called "Freemasonry for Dummies" [snip] I was wondering if this is seen as a joke, blasphemy, or a good tool?

I haven't seen the book (yet) but here's some information about it. Looks like it might be worth a read.

www.josseybass.com...

new topics

top topics

join