It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

John McCain is an Idiot

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 24 2005 @ 12:32 PM
link   
Most of you who come to PTS are already aware of the filibuster battle currently taking place in the senate over judicial nominees, and that a group of senators, 7 Republicans and 7 Democrats, are making a back room deal on how to handle the judicial nominations. John McCain is one of the big pushers of this policy, and is a fairly popular and powerful Republican.

Using his incredible ability to negotiate, McCain helped to pound out the details of a way to end the filibusters without modifying the Senate rules to coencide with tradition (never before has a vote not been allowed on a judicial nominee presented by a sitting president). To do this, McCain and the other 6 Republicans are going to vote down two of the nominees while the 7 Democrats agree not to use the filibuster option...Except in extreme situations.

McCain just bought himself a house of cards. He is trusting that a person who refers to white people he doesn't like as "White Niggers" will hold to his word. The Democrats didn't even agree to not use the filibuster. The Democrats didn't even agree to define what extreme means. The 7 Republicans are putting their faith in a party who has made it totally clear that the only thing that matters is winning, no matter the cost. Do they honestly think that they'll do this for the Democrats and they'll hold up their end of the bargan? I can assure you that, come Supreme Court nominations, the deal will be forgotten by the Democrats and Bush won't be able to put anyone on the bench. I would say that should go into the prophesy forum, but it's not prophesy, it's fact.

So the end score: Republicans: 0 Democrats: 1

The Republicans got nothing from this deal, and just showed that if the Democrats can whine, bitch, and complain enough, a few Republicans will feel bad and give them what they want. Even though they're the minority. Even though they lost the last election, big time. Even though Republicans are in power, according to the numbers. We can see this is not the case. When will people like McCain pull their heads out of their asses and see what's going on around them. When the Dems pull the plug on this deal, it won't be out of the blue. It will be following an established pattern. McCain is an idiot for not seeing that pattern or choosing to ignore it in the name of partisanship. Yes, partisanship, not bipartisan, because he's doing what the Democrats want, there is no compromise.

More on this as the vote unfolds today.

EDIT: John McCain said on Imus, "I would rather have a clean government than one where quote First Amendment rights are being respected".

[edit on 5/15/06/15 by junglejake]

posted on May, 24 2005 @ 12:45 PM
link   
Well, Scott Ott did it again. Here's his article on this from scrappleface.com...

Deal Preserves Constitutional Superduper Majority
by Scott Ott

(2005-05-24) -- A bipartisan group of 14 moderate Senators last night struck a deal to preserve the Constitutional requirement of a 'superduper majority' for confirmation of judicial appointees by ensuring that any future nominee must meet the approval of 87 percent of the Senate.

As part of the deal, three of President Bush's nominees will receive prompt votes on confirmation and two others will be "cast into the yawning mouth of an active volcano."

"We're delighted to return to the intent of the framers of the Constitution," said Sen. John McCain, M-AZ, who led the compromise coalition. "The purpose of the Senate is to ensure the right of the minority to prevent any decision. This deal eliminates the unfair advantage of so-called 'majority rule'."

Seven Republicans and seven Democrats bucked their party leadership to forge the compromise, which Senate Majority Leader Bill Frist, R-TN, called "disappointing" and Senate Minority Leader Harry Reid, D-NV, called "a significant victory for our country."

"Of course, I'm as outraged as Sen. Frist that these mavericks have gone behind our backs and cut a deal," said Sen. Reid. "I'm only consoled by the knowledge that we've protected the Constitutional requirement for a superduper majority. Let no one think that I approve of what these renegades have done to undermine my leadership."

Mr. Reid called it a 'lucky coincidence' that the compromise still allows Democrats to filibuster judicial nominees in 'extraordinary' circumstances.

Asked to give an example of such a circumstance, Mr. Reid said, "If President Bush violates the spirit of bipartisanship by nominating a conservative to the bench, that would be deal buster leading to a filibuster."

The last paragraph may seem amusing, but...

Plus, this "deal". The Democrats have already established how they can back out, but the Republicans have to perform their actions right away, and just hope the Dems keep up their end of the deal. They won't. They'll make Republicans look like the oppressive, evil forcers of agenda and John McCain will be right there with them, decrying president Bush for his evil attempts at doing his job.

John McCain is an idiot. Did I mention that?
The JJ's a little annoyed

posted on May, 24 2005 @ 02:32 PM
link   
I'm annoyed by this too, although it's not clear yet what the fate of those two others will be nor if they ever had majority support. I think this just kicks the can down the road a couple of months and the issue will resurface later this year when several Supreme Court openings are expected to occur.

posted on May, 24 2005 @ 03:52 PM
link   
Heh, I guess that, according to your signature, DJohnsto77, McCain is a liberal.

posted on May, 24 2005 @ 04:07 PM
link   
Yes, he is, and he's totally dreaming if he thinks he'll get the Republican presidential nomination for 2008 after this trick.

posted on May, 24 2005 @ 08:32 PM
link   
I think the RNC should target the 7 "Republican" traitors.

John McCain AZ
Lincoln Chafee RI
Olympia Snowe ME
Mike DeWine OH
Susan Collins ME
John Warner VA
Lindsey Graham SC

I have emailed each of them and also the RNC and Bill Frist. What these people did was very disrespectful to their constituents and to their party. They need to be removed.

I told the RNC I will no longer be contributing to them till they start supporting other Republicans to replace them.

Never compromise with Democrats, NEVER. George HW Bush compromised with Dems (Read my Lips) and look what that got him.

posted on May, 24 2005 @ 10:43 PM
link   
As much as I've enjoyed the lamentation from the radical fringes of your party as it splits at the biblical seams over this, President Dobson has been all over TV today calling out the Republican Judases and demanding his poodle Fristie break his end of the bargain with America and bring back the nuclear option. You know, like Jesus would do.

You'll get a one party government yet. How long you can control it depends on how long you can keep from backstabbing each other.

3, 2, 1.

I love Republican on Republican crime.

posted on May, 24 2005 @ 11:23 PM
link   
Hahahahaha, this is fricking hilarious! They don't bow down to judges, one who let a KKK member off after he killed some "dang 'n-word' monkeys" as the judge refers to them at a cross burning. Gee, wonder why they want to block that guy....

Also, the dem former KKK member receded(think thats the word) for his hateful words and said he would do anything in his power to right his wrongs. The other KKK members joined the republican party with no apologies.

Rant, so sad that they turn on each other so quickly. Dang, like putting a wolverine and, well, anything in a sack and wait for the wolverine to tear it apart.

posted on May, 25 2005 @ 01:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by Carseller4
\

While the RNC hasn't, many, many big RNC supporters have come out and not only said they will not be supporting the seven's campaigns, but that they will spend extra to ensure anyone who runs against them will have plenty of financial backing.

James, you quoted "dang 'n-word' monkeys". I'm assuming that means it's a direct quote from one of the judges being filibustered. That's pretty remarkable, I haven't heard a single thing about that, including from Democrats. Could you provide an article/source and judge's name who actually said that?

As to Robert Byrd, the former KKK member, a few months ago on national television he started talking about "white 'n-word's". That quote you can search google for, and it will return results. Heck, you could even search for ""white 'n-word's" Byrd". That's an interesting way to right your wrongs. Refer to red necks as white african americans. What does that say about the black community?

As to your last point, I have two words for you: Zell Miller

Y'all did the same thing to that Republican in Democrat clothing. You may be shocked to hear this, but it's the exact same thing. Y'all were pissed at Miller because he was, so far as y'all saw, compromising the truth for oppositian party favor. McCain and his soon to be unemployed friends did the exact same thing. He went around the party, went around the public's wishes, and did his own thing.

On another note, he may have been standing on principle. I respect that, make no mistake. However, I still think he's an idiot. His principles may have dictated that he not change/establish the constitution (this has precident, after FDR was Prez for 4 terms, congress changed the law to reflect the tradition of a max of 2 terms) , but he was holding a joker, but bet as though he just had a pair of duces. The Republicans were about to end the Dems ability to prevent a vote on nominations which would otherwise accepted. McCain and his jobless fellows could have gotten a lot more. The Democrats, when asked what constituted "extreme conditions", said, "We're professionals, don't worry about it." So, John McCain decided to give the Democrats what they wanted. In return, he recieved the knowlege that the Democrats got what they wanted.

Zell Miller stood on principal, screwed his own party, and furthered his beliefs in what the nation needed to further its self. John McCain stood on principal, screwed his own party, and got absloutly nothing in return when he could have had the world. So I'll say again:

John McCain is an idiot. So is that moron Lindsey Grahm, Mornons. Both of em.

On a plus note, if McCain's intellect continues in this direction, eventually he'll be so stupid he brain won't know how to make his heart beat. Let's try to help him by preventing that from happening. Work to get John McCain unelected next term, and save his life!

posted on May, 25 2005 @ 07:57 AM
link   

John McCain AZ
Lincoln Chafee RI
Olympia Snowe ME
Mike DeWine OH
Susan Collins ME
John Warner VA
Lindsey Graham SC

Heil Hitler!

You are not a Republican. You are not even American. You and your ill-bred, fascist ilk are a disgrace to this nation.

target.. traitors..

You're lucky that those of us unafraid of dissenting views, and in our right minds, (who still consider constitutional government and all the freedoms that accompany it) allow sociopaths like you to run off at the mouth.

As a lifelong Republican I have to say its good to know there are still a few Republican Senators up there who won't be bullied by these fundamentalist monkeys. Those rules were set in place for damn good reason. All you pseudo-Republicans would do well to remember that.

posted on May, 25 2005 @ 08:26 AM
link   
I hope McCain is stupid enough to join the Libertarian Party.

With a serious candidate we could split the Republicans and gain a few hundred thousand members, think of Ross P. without the insanity

posted on May, 25 2005 @ 08:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by Amuk
I hope McCain is stupid enough to join the Libertarian Party.

I don't think McCain's gonna try and split from the party or run for prez. His window seems to have passed. He is probably most effective right where he's at.

posted on May, 25 2005 @ 10:05 AM
link   
Yeah, but he has to worry about Haliburton&Co.* I mean, if he doesn' fall in line H&Co are gonna have to do something drastic. If he joined the Libertarians, oh joyful days. I like the guy, and this is why! He doesn't follow the blind blindly, he thinks for himself, and does what is best for the people, not for H&Co.

*New name for Bush&Co

posted on May, 25 2005 @ 10:46 AM
link   
On McCain:

Originally posted by James the Lesser
He doesn't follow the blind blindly, he thinks for himself, and does what is best for the people, not for H&Co.

Amen to that. All these pseudo-Republicans out there are under the kool aid-induced impression that to stand on principle and reject the party line (when idiotic and ultimately harmful to US interests), is somehow wrong. Or unpatriotic!

This is not fu**ing Nazi Germany! We are allowed to dissent! And every American, every leader in America, has a DUTY to do so when it is in our nation's best interest. Whatever party you hail from.

posted on May, 25 2005 @ 10:50 AM
link   
So many of these people I just mentioned attack the opposing party, and eat their own that dissent, as if they were enemies of the USA. We are ALL Americans. Get over your sociopathic selves.

posted on May, 25 2005 @ 09:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by EastCoastKid

John McCain AZ
Lincoln Chafee RI
Olympia Snowe ME
Mike DeWine OH
Susan Collins ME
John Warner VA
Lindsey Graham SC

Heil Hitler!

You are not a Republican. You are not even American. You and your ill-bred, fascist ilk are a disgrace to this nation.

target.. traitors..

You're lucky that those of us unafraid of dissenting views, and in our right minds, (who still consider constitutional government and all the freedoms that accompany it) allow sociopaths like you to run off at the mouth.

As a lifelong Republican I have to say its good to know there are still a few Republican Senators up there who won't be bullied by these fundamentalist monkeys. Those rules were set in place for damn good reason. All you pseudo-Republicans would do well to remember that.

I said what I said, and I meant it. I donate my money to the RNC for a reason. The Republican party has been fighting for a long time to get in the majority. They finally get there and are scared to lead. Not wanting to offend the minority is just weak and pathetic.

Moderates are weak, that is why the are called moderates. The RNC had better line up some "toe the party line" candidates or their support monetarily from me will end.

What makes me the angriest is the fact they compromised with Democrats. There are 2 groups of people you don't compromise with, and that is Democrats and Terrorist.

George H.W. Bush compromised with democrats on his "Read my lips, No new taxes" pledge, most democrats applauded him at the time, but when it came election time they crucified him over it.

I have never forgotten about that, and when I see Republicans compromising with democrats it make my blood boil.

posted on May, 26 2005 @ 09:44 AM
link   
Y'all are misinterpreting why I'm calling McCain an idiot. I don't hold it against him that he split with the Republican leadership on this issue. I actually commend him for doing what he felt was the right thing to do instead of following party lines. We elect people to office because we agree with them, not the party platform.

So, feeling this way, why is John McCain an idiot? Because he got absloutly nothing in return for his dealings. Heck, when asked what "extreme circumstances" meant, one of the seven Democrats (can't recall the name) said, "just trust us, we're all professionals". Wow. Fantastic explanation. What could extreme circumstances mean, then? Could it be extreme if Bush decides to appoint a dreaded conservative judge? Could it be extreme to place a supreme court justice? It only happens once in a while.

John McCain agreed to do something for the Democrats. In return, he's being asked to trust them. They provided an out immediately when they signed the document with those two little words: extreme circumstances. There was no definition. Yet McCain and the other 6 signed it.

This was the deal:
Republicans will give the Democrats what they want because they whined and cried until they got their way. In return, the Republicans will recieve full knowlege that the Democrats got what they wanted.

John McCain is an idiot for that reason, not for breaking with party lines.

posted on May, 26 2005 @ 02:56 PM
link   

There are 2 groups of people you don't compromise with, and that is Democrats and Terrorist.

To compare your fellow Americans (that disagree with you)to terrorists is simply infantile. Not to mention fascist.

Shortsighted, too.

If/when the Democrats ever do take back the majority - people like you are gonna be gnashing your teeth and pulling your hair out b/c some of them will treat you as you & your ilk have treated them. You will have yourself to blame.

posted on May, 26 2005 @ 05:33 PM
link   
Democrats really kind of already breaking their word, just voted against cloture with John Bolton! :shk:

posted on May, 27 2005 @ 12:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by djohnsto77
Democrats really kind of already breaking their word, just voted against cloture with John Bolton! :shk:

eeeehhhuieh (I was trying to reproduce the sound that came out of my mouth
) not really, because the deal was specific to judicial nominations. Now, I know the liberal media may have convinced you that the Republicans were trying to end filibusters in the senate all together, but the reality was they were just going to do so for their advise and consent role in approval of judicial nominees.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join