It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How do you get into a debate?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 19 2005 @ 06:07 PM
link   
How do you get into a debate? Also, what is that banner on the side that says: "Labour wins"? I don't get it.

posted on May, 19 2005 @ 06:16 PM
link   
u2u intrepid and ask to join the next debate...

the "labour wins" was the british elections...

posted on May, 19 2005 @ 06:17 PM
link   

what is that banner on the side that says: "Labour wins"? I don't get it.

That was for the UK election, Labour won, (Tony blair)

Take a look at this link and im sure it will explain what you need to know here on ats,

Debates
In the Debates forum, members can participate in structured debates with other ATS posters. If you are interested in joining a debate, please send a U2U to Kano. Please note that you must be assigned the status of "Fighter" by Kano before you can post in this forum.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on May, 19 2005 @ 06:20 PM
link   
I would encourage any person entering the organized debating to do your best and to stick it out. Know that you want the experience and make sure you can meet the posting frequency requirements to have a good go at it.

A couple of tournaments have turned into shambles with withdrawals of contestants all over the place. Stuff happens, but to play the game be ready to play the game.

(ironic coming from a Scholar-Writer-non-"Fighter").

posted on May, 19 2005 @ 09:55 PM
link   
Why aren't you a "fighter", MA? I suspect that you would be an outstanding debater.

posted on May, 19 2005 @ 09:59 PM
link   
That may be so, who knows, but not at ATS.

Debating (even under its misnomenclature of "fighting") is the only area of ATS where in a two-person contest there is an identified winner and a loser. I see ATS more about win-win scenarios, not trophies and ego gratification.

Want to debate on that?

posted on May, 19 2005 @ 10:44 PM
link   
I agree.

Personally I enjoy reading debates, but I find them largely pointless beyond the pure entertainment and educational value, because the yea or nay of a topic is decided on the debating skills of the participants rather than on the absolute truth of the matter. A brilliant debater against a lackluster opponent could quite conceivably win when arguing for the proposition that "Hitler was a martyr and a saint." What would that victory prove? Nothing.

edit: "i before e, except after c"

[edit on 2005/5/19 by wecomeinpeace]

posted on May, 19 2005 @ 11:07 PM
link   
Your current Galloway avatar seems to reinforce that point very effectively.

But I wager that 90%+ of ATS readers would not recognize this master debater/fighter without the caption you have given him.

I have another issue with on-line debating, which is that I don't like representing positions that are diametrically opposed to my own on issues of core values, whether there is something to be learned from "masquerading" or not.

posted on May, 21 2005 @ 05:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by MaskedAvatar
I would encourage any person entering the organized debating to do your best and to stick it out. Know that you want the experience and make sure you can meet the posting frequency requirements to have a good go at it.

A couple of tournaments have turned into shambles with withdrawals of contestants all over the place. Stuff happens, but to play the game be ready to play the game.

I'm still sad from the last one ending prematurely.
But really, if you're up for it then do it. It's loads of fun, and it's a great spectacle.
The arguments are fantastic.

new topics

top topics

join