It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Time for the next step in the evolution of this online community.

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 19 2005 @ 10:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by UK Wizard
wow..this comes as a major surprise...however I think its a brilliant idea

A Major announcement for the General welfare of ATS is a natural progression. I can only hope that the Dilemma of who to nominate isn't fraught with Discrepancy.

Sounds like a man with a solid military background is in order, I think I know where to find such a man.

Carry on.

posted on May, 19 2005 @ 11:29 AM
link   
I nominate me as candidate for ATS Council Person At Large! I'll have my campaign stuff ready by tomorrow.

[edit on 19-5-2005 by invader_chris]

posted on May, 19 2005 @ 11:35 AM
link   
"Cry havoc! And let slip the dogs of war!" is the phrase coming to mind...

This should be interesting.... I just hope the members vote better than my fellow countrymen tend to..

posted on May, 19 2005 @ 11:56 AM
link   
where's occam's razor, now?

please, keep it simple. orginisations with too much overlap are DOOMED! DOOMED, i tells ya!
once again, this is an honourable attempt at smoothing things out a little. i'm crossing my cyberfingers.

why not just let the 'vote this member for way above' button be the voting system, except, instead of one winner, there will be the top ten. if one member doesn't want the position, then the next in line can have it. this could SERIOUSLY reduce the drama risk. you could even do terms of six month's or a year for the first 'team'

posted on May, 19 2005 @ 11:58 AM
link   
On the surface of it, helping ATS grow is a good idea but at what cost? As mentioned in the opening post by SO, people are participating in ATS more than in their offline life. Is that actually something to strive for?

This is the only forum where the majority of posters are informed, polite and worth conversing with. I see the distraction of these people from their responsibilites in the real world as a mistake. These are the people that should be aiming to get involved in real councils and real politcs. I think voter apathy and general complacence in how our countries are run is killing our democracies already. Deliberately taking the attention of our best minds and most open thinkers, regardless of how little the attention might be, is not something I think we should be aiming for.

Just my two cents and I hope I havent stepped on any toes here.

posted on May, 19 2005 @ 11:59 AM
link   

Posted by Skeptic Overlord

These new people will be selected through a voting process. We'll accept nominations, and select up to 10 appropriate members (warn history, and membership length for example) for each position for the primaries. Members vote in the primaries, and the final three for each position campaign as finalists on BTS.

Elected Council People appoint two assistants, and all are admitted to a new private forum where they can begin to organize and plan. Council people also will have new capabilities on ATS (such as warns, for example) and they and their staff can communicate with new members (before the 20 post ceiling for full U2U functionality).

Wow, Skeptic Overlord!

a lot of scripting work...respect!

did you scripted all yourself?

posted on May, 19 2005 @ 01:42 PM
link   
ATS Council Members Nomination Form

The form to nominate ONE ATS member for each position is up and running. Please make sure you only enter a member name in the field provided, and that it's correctly spelled.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on May, 19 2005 @ 01:42 PM
link   
Well, this ought to be interesting to say the least. One thing I'm curious about though is what kind of time line we're looking at before this really gets moving along. SeekerOf responded to someone who was putting up a nomination by saying it's not the right time yet; when is the right time? I know it's going to be a decent amount of work on the backend, but I don't think asking for a rough time frame is too out of line.

Originally by subz
Deliberately taking the attention of our best minds and most open thinkers, regardless of how little the attention might be, is not something I think we should be aiming for.

I don't know if this is really that much of an issue. I mean, I'm sure the mods don't post as much as they did before they were "promoted," but they're still some of the most prolific members in the community.

What I'm really curious about in regards to the process is how far it will be taken in terms of democracy. Will we be able to recall those elected who aren't holding up their end of the deal? Will there be, as some have been halfway joking about here, actual parties that members can associate themselves with? (By associate, I mean there will be a new line of text saying "Member of the RATSASS party" or something--BTW, great party idea dreamlandmafia) I don't know if that's such a great idea or not, athough all of the members opposed to the idea of parties can always go independant...

Also, how exactly is the "constituent base" going to be determined, or will it be a free-for-all? I mean, I spend pretty much no time in the NWO board; should I have a voice in who's handling that? I know that ATS is a community in the sense as we're all here for contributing to or learning from every aspect, but we still each have our primary neighborhoods that we spend most of our time in. In "real" politics, you don't have someone from Canada making decisions for someone in Argentina; how will that be handled with this?

EDIT: Well, got my first question answered at least

[edit on 5/19/2005 by MCory1]

posted on May, 19 2005 @ 01:49 PM
link   
To ensure the continuing power of Mods, I propose the establishment of the "MOFOS" party...

Mod Overlords For Online Supremecy

Kidding!!!

posted on May, 19 2005 @ 01:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by SkepticOverlord
The form to nominate ONE ATS member for each position is up and running. Please make sure you only enter a member name in the field provided, and that it's correctly spelled.

Just to confirm before i fill it out.

1. They don't have to nominated themselves to be nominated.

2. We can nominate ourselves.

thanks

posted on May, 19 2005 @ 01:54 PM
link   
You can nominate yourselves.
You can repeat the same name more than once.

However, final candidates will not appear in more than one position.

posted on May, 19 2005 @ 01:55 PM
link   
This is a very intriguing idea ... the only thing about it is to many people with to much power ends in diasaster .... Look anywhere in the world .. try and give the people the power and there will be a revolt then there will be a change in power .... The power is where it needs to be right now ... even if I can't post certain things that I believe to be true if the world is not ready for it there may be a higher being out there that knows ...

Deus .... Deus .... Look at it from every angle before you guys make a committment ...

posted on May, 19 2005 @ 01:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gazrok
To ensure the continuing power of Mods, I propose the establishment of the "MOFOS" party...

Mod Overlords For Online Supremecy

Kidding!!!

ATS mods....The Baddest MOFOS on the Net

posted on May, 19 2005 @ 01:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by SkepticOverlord
You can nominate yourselves.
You can repeat the same name more than once.

However, final candidates will not appear in more than one position.

thanks for clearing that up

posted on May, 19 2005 @ 02:00 PM
link   
Wow - Quite an interesting development....The ATS Senate

I think this is great....I promise that when I vote I'll take great care in selecting the member whom I think is most appropriate for the post

posted on May, 19 2005 @ 02:08 PM
link   

Wow - Quite an interesting development....The ATS Senate

With your avatar, I can't help but think of the fate of the Senate in Star Wars, hehe...

posted on May, 19 2005 @ 02:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gazrok
With your avatar, I can't help but think of the fate of the Senate in Star Wars, hehe...

Hehe - You just wait...

Vader's hand gesture and my corrupt mind are one with the force...I've been playing around with the idea of adding a "Cough Please"....

posted on May, 19 2005 @ 02:43 PM
link   
Alright, its about time the average user gets a chance to help shape the future of this community. I can't wait to see how this all plays out.

Do your duty as an ATS citizen!

posted on May, 19 2005 @ 02:44 PM
link   
How long will the nomination process last?

posted on May, 19 2005 @ 02:49 PM
link   
I see that the writing and debate sections have representative. Why is this?

DE

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join