It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Boeing hedges against JSF delays with stealthier Super Hornet

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 16 2005 @ 06:22 AM
link   
Wonder if the USN will go for this whatever happens with the JSF - I suppose it depends on the unit cost for the upgrade.

Wonder if they would consider doing similar things to other aircaft - bolt on stealth kit!

I wonder whatever level of improvement are made?

A Boeing Phantom Works team is working on the design of a stealthier version of the F/A-18E/F Super Hornet, known internally as the Block 3. The design is being studied as a hedge against further delays with the Lockheed Martin F-35C Joint Strike Fighter (JSF), which has already slipped by at least a year.

Block 3 studies are being led by the Phantom Works' low-observable (LO) team, headed by Alan Wiechmann. (Super Hornets are now being delivered in the Block 2 configuration, with a revised nose to accommodate the Raytheon APG-79 radar.) The basic Super Hornet already incorporates some LO technology, including edge alignments, swept inlets and treated blocker vanes in front of the engines, and the Phantom Works has been working since the early 1990s on ways to reduce the radar cross-section (RCS) of conventional aircraft and external stores. Boeing engineers acknowledge that the Block 3 would not be as stealthy as the JSF, and state that there are no plans to change the external shape of the aircraft, but assert that even today's aircraft has more LO technology in it than is generally recognised.

Janes

RAB

posted on May, 16 2005 @ 07:20 AM
link   
Dude I really do not think anyone cares!

I see trouble ahead

As I say doing some work and i found the following I'll post the first para then the link :-)

A Boeing Phantom Works team is working on the design of a stealthier version of the F/A-18E/F Super Hornet, known internally as the Block 3. The design is being studied as a hedge against further delays with the Lockheed Martin F-35C Joint Strike Fighter (JSF), which has already slipped by at least a year.

link: www.janes.com...

Well I personally think that this is very interesting for the JSF project, OK the UK and USA will wait for the JSF to enter service it isn't a major problem for us.

E.g. The UK has the Tornado and the Eurofighter ready and in service and the numbers of the latter are increasing all the time, so we can handle most problems. And lets put it this way our new carriers will be late anyhoe!

The USA has the Super FA18 and the world biggest airforce so that's not a problem for the USA.

It may be a hell of a problem for some of the smaller countries who are in need of the JSF asap. for Example austrilla who's F111's are being drawn down and the F18's really need sorting out (gear and wing problems I'll find the link.)

The reasoning behind OZ's worries check out the maps:
www.ausairpower.net...
good site too

I think that Holland is replacing every thing with the JSF and a few other will not be best pleased!

What do you guys think?

RAB

posted on May, 16 2005 @ 08:27 AM
link   
I agree with RAB.
Australia is certainly in a bad position with service entry dates of
the JSF. SU-30 will chop up the F/A-18s even with the newly aquired
ASRAAMS and AMRAAMS.
Leasing of fighters may be a solution?????
RAFALES,EUROFIGHTERS,GRIPEN

posted on May, 16 2005 @ 11:01 AM
link   
Leasing planes for 1 year? Why? I personally think it is just PR move from Boeing - they lost all manned planes competitions to the Lockheed, and now they are just making wind. Super Hornet is not the best plane for future, even if it will be more stealthy.

RAB

posted on May, 16 2005 @ 11:25 AM
link   
As I understand it the Delays to the JSF program will hurt, just wonder if Boeing have thought of some thing that may seriously affect the JSF project. It's a hell of a lot of money to spend of the off chance and if it's been in progress since the 1990's.

Makes you wonder if Boeings JSF had projected problems.

As for bolt on stealth i think it may already be here the new RAM panels on the Tornado GR4.

Also think OZ will need to buy the Metor BVRAAM but thats a way off to!

posted on May, 16 2005 @ 12:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jezza
I agree with RAB.
Australia is certainly in a bad position with service entry dates of
the JSF. SU-30 will chop up the F/A-18s even with the newly aquired
ASRAAMS and AMRAAMS.
Leasing of fighters may be a solution?????
RAFALES,EUROFIGHTERS,GRIPEN

I seriously dount those Indonesians will provoke the aussies in any way..
Too much at stake..
with aussies having this pacific pact with the US..

RAB

posted on May, 17 2005 @ 12:39 PM
link   
OK fine yes the current Indonessian government are not stupid, they known that DG isn't that far away.

BUT the indo government isn't in the best situation at the moment. Check out some of the articles on the website above, you will see that the OZ's are worried.

IF the JSF is late into service, the gap between the OZ's FA18 and the SU30 or better will increase!

RAB

posted on May, 18 2005 @ 06:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by longbow
Super Hornet is not the best plane for future, even if it will be more stealthy.

I would Not say the F-35 is any better! I'm sorry, but I think single-engine fighters are a Really BAD idea! They have No reduncy in them! If you opponent ever gets lucky and hits the engine, you'll be lucky if you get your pilot back. There was one F/A-18 that got one engine shot out in the 1991 Gulf War, it made it back to the carrier because it had an extra engine. Combat pilots face more then enough dangers as is, we don't need to make the job riskier by cutting back on the safety features of their planes!

Screw the damn F-35, Where is my HORNET!!!!

Tim
ATS Director of Counter-Ignorance

posted on May, 18 2005 @ 09:45 AM
link   
I still would rather have a mordinized f14.

M6D

posted on May, 18 2005 @ 11:22 AM
link   
why so worriedabout redundancy? loads of fighters have one engine..no biggy

posted on May, 18 2005 @ 11:37 AM
link   
AAARRGGGHHHH!!
I can not find any pictures or concept drawings for the Block 3.
Dern it all....!

I want to see what it will look like or be further equipped with.
Man, I'm pissed....

seekerof

posted on May, 18 2005 @ 12:45 PM
link   
When is this thing's prototype comming out and when is its first flight ???

posted on May, 18 2005 @ 12:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Seekerof
AAARRGGGHHHH!!
Dern it all....!

Man, I'm pissed....

Maybe an artists impression of a stealthy derrivative of the Eurofighter will cheer you up :

RAB

posted on May, 18 2005 @ 02:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Stealth Spy

Originally posted by Seekerof
AAARRGGGHHHH!!
Dern it all....!

Man, I'm pissed....

Maybe an artists impression of a stealthy derrivative of the Eurofighter will cheer you up :

Look at the halo picture in the background just above to right tail and to the left check the triangle

RAB

posted on May, 18 2005 @ 03:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by RAB
Look at the halo picture in the background just above to right tail and to the left check the triangle

Hey its only an artists impression....that thing in the background is small and unclear.....maybe a mirage or maybe this thing (below) :

posted on May, 18 2005 @ 05:23 PM
link   
Ghost - While redundancy is good, with the JSF there more hoping one "cant hit what you cant see". (theres always eject)

I like the JSF, and hope lockheed works harder so they dont fall behind anymore then they allready are.

The Super Hornet was a good middle-man, for being in between the hornet & F-35... Boeing shouldn't waste there money on this...and if they do I hope the AF or Navy dont buy it...cause they the JSF's number falls and its price per unit rises...reminds me of the ol' Raptor.

posted on May, 20 2005 @ 02:35 PM
link   
The JSF might die very soon if things dont work out..

...Read this Jane's article :

JOINT STRIKE FIGHTER - Happily ever after?

posted on May, 21 2005 @ 07:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Stealth Spy
The JSF might die very soon if things dont work out..

...Read this Jane's article :

JOINT STRIKE FIGHTER - Happily ever after?

That article said they solved the key weight problems...thats a good thing. (so hows it a bad thing?)

Although the numbers I read in Aviation Now was its still 300 pounds over weight..which isn't much. and Lockheed said that through-out the process of them constructing it they would find ways of shaving a few grams here and there...so when complete it would be very close, if not on ,the original target.

posted on May, 27 2005 @ 06:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by M6D
why so worriedabout redundancy? loads of fighters have one engine..no biggy

It's called a Safety feature! Our people face enough dangers without taking foolish risks. It's the same reason paratroopers carry a reserve parachute. The main chute almost never fails, yet all paratroopers wear a reserve chute! Why do you think they have a second parachute?

Tim
ATS Director of Counter-Ignorance

posted on May, 29 2005 @ 04:11 PM
link   
"Meanwhile, US Navy (USN) Super Hornet programme manager Captain Don Gaddis disclosed at the Avalon air show that the USN has changed it s future force mix. Previously, it planned to field 20 squadrons of F/A-18E/Fs, a fleet of EA-18G jamming aircraft and 20 squadrons of JSFs. Now, however, the USN plans to operate 22 F/A-18E/F squadrons and 18 F-35C squadrons. The change will not make any immediate difference to aircraft purchases, Capt Gaddis said. The reduction in JSF numbers will not take effect until the end of the programme, while the extra Super Hornet squadrons will be filled by higher utilisation of the basic aircraft and by rationalising test and training assets." - Janes

top topics

<<   2 >>

join