It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

America Remains Envy of the World

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 14 2005 @ 11:56 AM
link   
Schwarzenegger said this at the RNC and i think he is right. The hatred directed at america is fueled by jealousy and envy. They are jealous at how succesful we have been in just a couple of centuries. we have grown so much in such little time. Coming from a collection of colonies to ruling the world. The righteousness of americans also inspires hate. When the germans overran france who pushed them back, with of course britain. when the jews were being exterminated who helped liberate them?. Our economy is envied among all nations, our defense is desperatly coveted by our enemies and our freedom is desperatly sought. If this were not the case why do people risk their lives to flee cuba or mexico to live here?

posted on May, 14 2005 @ 12:09 PM
link   
Envy of the world, i dont think so somehow, i can give you a list of people who do not Envy America i am one of them.

Our economy is envied among all nations

Err...i doubt it, China economy is doing better then yours

The hatred directed at america is fueled by jealousy and envy

Oh really? maybe the world is fed up with America keep talking about how "great" it is? Tell me this, if your so great, how come your a declining superpower? China and India are expected to pass you within 40 years? China will be the next superpower within 10 years? Are the Chinese jealous? hell no

[edit on 14-5-2005 by infinite]

posted on May, 14 2005 @ 12:17 PM
link   
America isn't "hated" for it's freedoms and the liberty of it's people. It's hated by many peoples around the world because of it's decades of propping up, arming and assistance to corrupt genocidal leaders who oppress their people, selling out natural resources to US corporations etc.... etc... That kinda stuff will catch up with you sooner or later.

The idea that America is the envy of the world is laughable but, given the polarised viewpoint put out in the US media and the fact that so many US citizens never actually leave their borders and interact with other cultures, it's perhaps understandable.

posted on May, 14 2005 @ 12:20 PM
link   

Coming from a collection of colonies to ruling the world.

Did i miss something here? At what point did America start ruling the World?
maybe i need enlightening here, because i obviously was out of town when this happened.

posted on May, 14 2005 @ 12:22 PM
link   

Did i miss something here? At what point did America start ruling the World?
maybe i need enlightening here, because i obviously was out of town when this happened.

If you rule the world, dont you need to take land from other countries to form an Empire? thats what us Brits did,

no offence guys, this thread is a point grab, pick a topic that will get up members backs and make us post due to the ignorance someone is showing.

posted on May, 14 2005 @ 12:22 PM
link   
Three answers so far from thee Brits

Takes us more enlightened individuals to set the record straight...obviously

posted on May, 14 2005 @ 12:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Britguy
Three answers so far from thee Brits

Takes us more enlightened individuals to set the record straight...obviously

America is jealous due to the fact that they are a superpower that never conquered land land, Soviets had nations under their Empire, So did the Germans, Brits, French, etc.

posted on May, 14 2005 @ 12:25 PM
link   

no offence guys, this thread is a point grab, pick a topic that will get up members backs and make us post due to the ignorance someone is showing.

Well said

Phewwwwww, is that a troll i can smell by any chance

posted on May, 14 2005 @ 12:26 PM
link   
America doesn't rule the world! America has been a stabilizing hegemonic power protecting the world-system post WWII much as Britain was beforehand. I don't think many people are jealous per se of the United States, at least not openly, especially Europeans. I have many European friends, and most of the them like the U.S. but have some disagreements over its international policies.

I do think many around the world would like to see the U.S. replaced as a top power, perhaps by themselves, but probably don't realize that all other such world-powers have brought much more problems to the world than the U.S. ever has.

posted on May, 14 2005 @ 12:28 PM
link   

I do think many around the world would like to see the U.S. replaced as a top power, perhaps by themselves, but probably don't realize that all other such world-powers have brought much more problems to the world than the U.S. ever has.

it will be interesting to have China as the superpower because they tend to be more peaceful. But to be honest, i prefer the US as leaders then Russia.

posted on May, 14 2005 @ 12:34 PM
link   
dj
The statement that America has been a more compassionate global superpower..is that based purely on patriotism, or do you have some examples? I'd be inclined to say we're just about as depraved and dangerous as every other superpower who came before, perhaps a little more so than some, and a little less so than others.

We certainly have the capacity to do more damage than any other historical nation, so maybe that affects the qualitative value of our 'restraint', I don't know.

But anyway, some people envy America, some people don't, obviously. There are many nations, and many individuals who hate America for its long standing tradition of hypocrisy, and there are many who hate us for our pride, and others who hate us for our wealth.

There's plenty of hate to go around, but I'd say the top contender is the hypocrisy, it's been a staple of this country since the first boat landed, and the long, slow invasion began.

We're experts at saying one thing and doing another, and it shows in the 'quality' and 'character' of those leaders we choose to represent us.

posted on May, 14 2005 @ 12:34 PM
link   

Coming from a collection of colonies to ruling the world.

As Bikereddie said, when did this happen? Surely to rule the world, everyone would do what you wanted. But we all know how much you bitch about France and Germany and the "knife in the back".

The righteousness of americans also inspires hate.

Righteousness? Please define....

When the germans overran france who pushed them back, with of course britain. when the jews were being exterminated who helped liberate them?.

The Soviets won the war, all we did was make sure they didn't overun Europe in the process of kicking Germany's arse.

Our economy is envied among all nations

Really? Doing fine here thanks.

our freedom is desperatly sought

Freedom? Again, please define. As from where i am sat, you have more laws against doing all sorts of things that here in Europe we take for granted. Our police aren't maniacal idiots (mostly) and we have a great deal of freedom to do as we please. Our Governments are more accountable and actually do what is best for the People rather than the Plc

If this were not the case why do people risk their lives to flee cuba or mexico to live here?

Thats a bit of a mute point as poverty is rife in those countries, even I would "flee" mexico if I thought I could earn more money 100 miles to the north. You should see how many are flooding into Europe!

America doesn't rule the world! America has been a stabilizing hegemonic power protecting the world-system post WWII much as Britain was beforehand. I don't think many people are jealous per se of the United States, at least not openly, especially Europeans. I have many European friends, and most of the them like the U.S. but have some disagreements over its international policies.

Dj, bloody hell, didn't think I would here a non-right wing zealous post from you!

posted on May, 14 2005 @ 12:36 PM
link   
My question is, why isn't this in PTS?

posted on May, 14 2005 @ 12:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jamuhn
My question is, why isn't this in PTS?

more points on ATS,
this is a point grab

posted on May, 14 2005 @ 12:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by WyrdeOne
dj
The statement that America has been a more compassionate global superpower..is that based purely on patriotism, or do you have some examples? I'd be inclined to say we're just about as depraved and dangerous as every other superpower who came before, perhaps a little more so than some, and a little less so than others.

If we were a depraved power-grabbing country, we would have taken the areas won in World War II in Europe and Japan, then, as we were the only power possessing the nuclear bomb, went on to take the world!!! mwahahaha!!! All you base are belong to us!!

Seriously, do you think many other former world powers going back to Rome would have done the same th ing? The USSR kept Eastern Europe under their thumb until it dissolved.

posted on May, 14 2005 @ 01:17 PM
link   

If we were a depraved power-grabbing country, we would have taken the areas won in World War II in Europe and Japan, then, as we were the only power possessing the nuclear bomb, went on to take the world!!! mwahahaha!!! All you base are belong to us!!

Exatcly, you would of taken over the whole world by now, but you haven't. So your not a depraved power-grabbing country.

posted on May, 14 2005 @ 01:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by djohnsto77
All you base are belong to us!!

dj77, good point. Don't forget good ol' Pine Gap

Sanc'.

posted on May, 14 2005 @ 02:12 PM
link   
Here's the real reason why nobody likes America: It has a mouth that is 120,000 light-years in diameter.

America has a habit of saying one thing but totally contradicting it through it's actions. For example, when the Abu Ghraib scandal occured. When it happened, a lot of Americans tried to pass it off as "the act of a few" and "nothing to cry about," saying Iraqis had supposedly done worse. However, America has always talked the talk when it came to the treatment of their people who were prisoners, citing things like the Geneva Convention (remember the POWs in Kosovo?) and criticizing countries like China at will for their human rights abuses. If America is truly morally high, then it's own actions certainly have shown that notion to be a complete lie.

All these double standards and talk of superiority yet never quite showing it to be true is what causes hatred, not jealously or envy. If we in America want to talk the talk, we have to be able to walk the walk. Which we have done only a handful of times.

Really, why would anybody be envious of a nation that talks trash?

A5H

posted on May, 14 2005 @ 04:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Trustnone
Schwarzenegger said this at the RNC and i think he is right. The hatred directed at america is fueled by jealousy and envy. They are jealous at how succesful we have been in just a couple of centuries. we have grown so much in such little time. Coming from a collection of colonies to ruling the world. The righteousness of americans also inspires hate. When the germans overran france who pushed them back, with of course britain. when the jews were being exterminated who helped liberate them?. Our economy is envied among all nations, our defense is desperatly coveted by our enemies and our freedom is desperatly sought. If this were not the case why do people risk their lives to flee cuba or mexico to live here?

Heheh... Man you really have stopped me thinking all Americans are arrogant and idiotic...
Time to wake up I think kiddo... People don't hate (or despise) america out of jelousy. They hate the hypocrocy and arrogonce that is rife among the population (as you proved with that post).
I would also like to know what your assumptions are based on? Best economy in the world

Rulers of the world?

Maybe if you left America for a little while you would understand and stop being so pathetic...

Also you seem to love your military... If you pitted an equal army against many other countries, you would loose. You win by sheer numbers only...
I'm feeling pretty free right now to be honest... Without the ole' patriot act and all...
Anyway whatever...

"America is not the world" ~ Morrissey...

posted on May, 14 2005 @ 04:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by infinite
it will be interesting to have China as the superpower because they tend to be more peaceful. But to be honest, i prefer the US as leaders then Russia.

China will never be the world's superpower, unless yellowstone blows...

top topics

<<   2 >>

join