It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Explosive situation in Yellowstone

page: 13
<< 10  11  12    14  15  16 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 1 2003 @ 10:29 PM
link   

posted on Nov, 1 2003 @ 10:59 PM
link   
So, what would happen if a nuclear device went off on top of Yellowstone?

Wonder why nobody's tried doing that yet.

Hmm.

posted on Nov, 2 2003 @ 12:21 AM
link   
energywave..nice find!

"It is important to note the lack of correlation between what the University of Utah reports as official earthquakes and what can be seen happening on the seismic monitors operated and controlled by that university. The reason for this miscorrelation is not completely clear."

It's about time somebody started calling the U of U on this. And I thought I was the only one thinking this...

Between ac's observation, my own and this gentleman's...I don't think it's a stretch to say that information is being supressed.

As far as a nuclear explosion...it wouldn't be good. The effect would largely depend on what depth it was placed and the yield.

posted on Nov, 15 2003 @ 10:05 AM
link   
Anymore on this?

posted on Nov, 15 2003 @ 10:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by John bull 1
Anymore on this?

Here is the link to the real time info from the USGS.
Everything seems quiet right now.
www.seis.utah.edu...

posted on Nov, 15 2003 @ 11:07 AM
link   
Is it realistic to try to "vent" the problem by man making a series of smaller eruptions so it wont be one big catastrophic event when it finally blows?

posted on Nov, 15 2003 @ 11:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by jrod
Is it realistic to try to "vent" the problem by man making a series of smaller eruptions so it wont be one big catastrophic event when it finally blows?

Not much we can do about the lake bulge. It will blow, but a lake explosion won't be catastrophic, just a very large hydrothermal explosion.

The rest of the plume is so large that any pressure relief would only be temporary. There's not much we can do about the new magma entering the system.

Virigin sacrifices are sounding good right about now...

posted on Nov, 15 2003 @ 11:26 AM
link   
Good Question!
I think it would literally blow up in our face.
Like taking a baloon that has been over inflated to the point of BURST, then trying to gently pop it.
Chances are, BOOM!
This is a super Volcano buried underground.
We don't know much about it at all, except that it is extremely powerfull.
If it's gonna blow, I doubt there is much we could do about it except run for cover.

posted on Nov, 15 2003 @ 11:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by kukla

Originally posted by jrod

Virigin sacrifices are sounding good right about now...

Do those still exist?
Virgins that is.

[Edited on 15-11-2003 by baked]

posted on Nov, 15 2003 @ 11:32 AM
link   
I don't know...I just know I have nothing to worry about.

posted on Nov, 15 2003 @ 11:34 AM
link   
The last time we talked scenarios was a couple pages back. If the Caldera blows, Global winter for at least 2 years with very little sunlight. No need to run unless you have some underground habitats waiting for you.

My personal hope is that the lake explosion will put off the caldera explosion for a couple years, maybe a decade. Who knows..

posted on Nov, 16 2003 @ 01:58 PM
link   
Bizzare suicide uncovered in Yellowstone..

Yellowstone National Park officials confirmed Friday that Dr. Jim Jeffrey bled to death from a self-inflicted knife wound to the upper thigh earlier this fall.

Park spokeswoman Cheryl Matthews said the body of Jeffery, 40, of Pensacola, Fla., was deteriorated when park rangers found him near Slough Creek on Oct. 16, and a lot of "thigh tissue was gone."

www.bozemandailychronicle.com...

posted on Nov, 20 2003 @ 01:10 PM
link   
Yellowstone has been rumbling in the last 24.

www.seis.utah.edu...

posted on May, 22 2004 @ 09:30 PM
link   
The entire Northwest region is probably the most unstable area on the face of the earth. The Rhyollite formations scattered all over this region plus the seismic activity that reverberates all through the region will someday loosen the cap that plugs the caldera currently.

The northwest territories that extends south and westward to the Long Valley Caldera in California form a link up the coast to the Lassen Peak area and extending back over to Yellowstone. All it would take would be another Alaskan Earthquake of that magnitude to open up this entire area like some huge zipper. The resonating shaking can actually liquefy the subsoil to the point of it disappearing entirely creating a environmental holacaust of unimaginable proportions. This is a real senario waiting for the earthquake to trigger it. It will be explosive, sudden and complete in a twinkling of a eye.

posted on May, 22 2004 @ 09:34 PM
link   
When grandfather calls the sisters will answer hasn't happened yet.

posted on May, 24 2004 @ 05:18 AM
link   
Um... did somebody say the temp could drop 2.5 degree C from this thing? Wasn't the difference in the last iceage like 5 degrees?

Not that I'm complaining. In about 2 months the temperature in my home town will be hitting 110-120 F on a regular basis. Hell hath no fury like a house with no AC when it don't hit 90 outside until midnight.

In all seriousness though, when Thera errupted in 1628 BC, it rearranged the balance of power in the Mediterranean and disturbed weather on a global scale. We can date the erruption to a single year because it left frost damage in the growth rings of trees in North America. No big deal, except this one isn't going to errupt under ancient Crete... It's gonna erupt under us, who pay our farmers NOT to grow crops, and who probably shouldn't expect too much help from the rest of the world if there is a famine.

EDIT: One last thought: This Earthquake is overdue, and it has screwed me. I could have lived in Las Vegas. My parents were so afraid of some interpretation of a Nostradamus prediction that when I was 2 or 3 they wanted to leave California. (no word on why Nevada was far enough away for them). Anyway, they couldn't afford it, and I was forced to go to California public schools, and I didn't learn to play blackjack until i was 18. (which is a trajedy because I'm a natural... if i'd started earlier i'd be clairvoyant at the table.) I suppose I'm digressing...

[Edited on 24-5-2004 by The Vagabond]

posted on Jul, 7 2004 @ 11:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by falcon
I live next to yellowstone well close enough to feel the effects of what would happen if it exploded its part of the reason I moved here I might as well be on the front lines when everthing goes down the drain. Do I or dont I say what I know about yellowstone might as well what difference does it make now its been almost a year. When I was living in missoula montana which is not that far away from where I live now I met a man that would later be head of the department of fish wildlife and parks. Do to the fact I was told not to say anything about this I wont mention his name but needless to say about a year ago somewhere that to this date I have not been told about regarding the exact location in yellowstone park I just know that is was somewhere in west yellowstone. A water spout came up out of the ground about 3 times the size of old faithfull.

The Park Ranger was on patroll in his jeep and thought that he was in the middle of a minor earthquake it turned out that a new old faithfull decided to erupt right next to his vehicle. After it was done erupting water that the park ranger discribed as being about 500 feet high and the opening in the ground was measured at about 5 to 7 feet wide. The area was sealed off this took place sometime last april to this day I have not heard one artical about it or anyone talking about it that works in that area. No one will relese pictures of the opening and no one is talking about it. Not only that I live next to the largest man made toxic body of water in the world its called the burkly pit. It made the news several times years ago due to the fact that it killed 257 canadian snow birds that landed in it several years ago I look at this way. Not only yellowstone but the pit and there is a faultline that run's right behind the pit as well as a 250 million or estimated there of dormate volcano that is next to this city as well. This is why I say I might as well be on the front lines when it all comes down. Lets see here If there is a earthquake that triggers the eruption of yellowstone there is a good chance I wont be around being as close to it as I am doesnt really matter. The earthquake might break open the pit causing most of the people in this city to die that way or there is a small possiblity that the nearby volcano that has been dormate for 250 million years or estimated there of could blow. And besides that I have a bonus. This city before it was built the way it was today used to be a mineing town. The city has lots of underground passage ways that have been flooded due to the accident that caused the pit to be closed down to begin with. If I dont sink I might die by the way of suffication due to a near by eurption or be crushed by the way of a earthquake causing this city to colapse in on itself. And if I dont get any of that there is always toxin's from the near by water in the pit getting ready to over flow it is now only about 75 feet from the top. But here's the bonus if I am lucky enough to survive I get the chance to possibly see the end of the so called civilized world as we know it and if I am lucky new property to build on. And not alot of feds wanting to come to the now distroyed state of montana lol.

Maybe we should have a ats meeting in this state after all if we could find out exactly when this is going to happen what better then front line seats to a once in a life time oppertunity.

But yellowstone has been acting up lately maybe I will get to see this sooner that I thought but I will make the long time users of ats a deal should I still have internet access at the time this happens and have some means of posting a video link to the footage that takes place I will be sure to post that on here for the long time users of ats.

falcon

Also If I can get any pictures of this new old faithfull if you want to call it that. I will post it on here but dont hold your breath I have been waiting for almost a year.

If you find out where that new old faithful is, please let me know. I live over here on the east side of the park and am curious to go visit it.

I am not a believer that it is going to blow because I think there would have to be a major shift of the tectonic plates to cause the pressure to release.

Heck, if you want to see something more interesting, go to Buffalo, Wyoming and take the pass to Worland. They have rock formation signs dating back billions of years along the road. Free for the stopping and picking up of some rock if you really wanted to.

Also there is one spot that you can actually see the 2 tectonic plates meshing together. This is seen by the pattern of the stones. One plate has a rainbow pattern on it and the other plate has a different pattern with the 'grain' of the stone.

Very interesting.

Next time I go down there, I can take a pic and post it if anyone is interested. I probably will not be going down again for a couple months. (in-laws ya kno').

Still many geologist students from around the country make trips to Buffalo just to study the 2 plates meshing together.

Yellowstone, that is just a pretty vent through water. Like a coffee pot that whistles. Yes, you can collect your data. But for those that have not been there, just STOP!!!
You need to go there before you can make any of your crazy comments.

So 'Are u for real???'

posted on Jul, 8 2004 @ 11:27 PM
link   
This is all very interesting to talk about, but seriuosly folks!

Yellowstone is an area of constant change. Geysers appear and disappear all the time. Nothing new there. Some mudpots dry up, others increase in size. That's one of the reasons it is so neat to visit, it's never the same twice!

Has the Yellowstone caldera been the site of a super eruption in the past? Of course it has! Will it be again in the future? Of course it will! Will you or I see it? The chance is vanishingly small.

But if it were to happen tommorrow, where would I want to be? Distant enough to see the show, close enough to go right after so I wouldn't have to starve to death.

But you won't see me ducking my head.

posted on Oct, 4 2004 @ 05:52 AM
link   
Perhaps we should concentrate on increasing greenhouse emissions so as to compensate for the global cooling that seems inevitable from this 40K overdue event?

posted on Oct, 6 2004 @ 06:31 PM
link   
ah but this is so much more fun than global warming! Its catastrophic but not a human extiction level event. If you get to live through it...

new topics

top topics

<< 10  11  12    14  15  16 >>

join