It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Explosive situation in Yellowstone

page: 14
<< 11  12  13    15 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 14 2004 @ 11:36 PM
link   
I've been hearing of this recently. I have been told that there are road closures around the park. People have reported the smell of sulfur. And there are bulges around some of the land there ... along with the ground in the area being hot.

Animals and plants are dying in the vicinity of these changes, and the public is just being pushed back so as not to see this.

posted on Oct, 20 2004 @ 10:23 PM
link   
I have to admit that I havn't read through the full 14 pages here...I did a search to find this thread after watching a special on National Geographic...

This appears to be a very real and serious threat...I see from the post above, that recent conditions have warranted road closures...any other information as of late??

I was completely unaware of what a cladera was or the threat it posed....incredible stuff...

posted on Oct, 20 2004 @ 10:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by EnronOutrunHomerun
This appears to be a very real and serious threat...I see from the post above, that recent conditions have warranted road closures...any other information as of late??

More scary reading here:

YELLOWSTONE SUPERVOLCANO GETTING READY TO BLOW ITS CORK

posted on Oct, 20 2004 @ 10:51 PM
link   
That's not a good sign...

But it looks like some of the road closures may just be for standard repair:

Road construction is perennial in Yellowstone National Park. In general, park roads have either been recently repaired or reconstructed, or are scheduled for repair or reconstruction. Approximately 80% of main park roads (about 185 mi or 295 km) are in a structurally deficient state, with poor quality road bases failing under the weight, speed, and volume of modern traffic for which they were not designed. Harsh winter weather and short construction seasons provide additional challenges.

These needs are now being addressed under a 20-year, $300 million Federal Lands Highway Program for Yellowstone National Park. In addition to the major construction addressed below, park road repair crews will be working in other areas of the park throughout this and subsequent seasons. Thank you for your patience with our road construction efforts.

www.nps.gov...

posted on Nov, 13 2004 @ 03:39 PM
link   
volcanoes.usgs.gov...

There. More than you want to know about Yellowstone quake history.

posted on Nov, 13 2004 @ 04:28 PM
link   
Last I read about that area around a month or so ago and I can't remember the site. However it was closed because the earth was venting a lot of steam and gases and the temperature of the ground in the area was up around 200 degres. Deemed unsafe for tourists.

posted on Nov, 13 2004 @ 05:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Emily_Cragg
volcanoes.usgs.gov...
There. More than you want to know about Yellowstone quake history.

That was a good one, Emily...

Too bad we don�t have an "eye-roll smiley" with sweat pearls on the forehead...

Or maybe like this? : "There. More than you want to know..."

posted on Nov, 13 2004 @ 06:08 PM
link   
This report actually debunks a lot of the catastrophizing about Yellowstone.

I'll do anything to get people to calm down about something that isn't likely to cause a problem anyway.

posted on Nov, 18 2004 @ 12:39 PM
link   
Hydrothermal events are very common in yellowstone, if you have hot magma and hot rocks, you get lots of hydrothermal activity.

Why anyone know why dragonrider keeps on getting banned, I just wondered as he used to be one of the main people on these forums a year or so ago.

posted on Feb, 14 2005 @ 12:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hellmutt
More scary reading here:

YELLOWSTONE SUPERVOLCANO GETTING READY TO BLOW ITS CORK

LOL another site that uses the bible code. In case you missed it your site claimed it would errupt in March 31,2004 or April 1 2004, so much for the bible code again.

posted on Feb, 20 2005 @ 03:30 PM
link   
I know that the Yellowstone thing has been covered. BUt I want to bring attention to this matter. I have noticed in the past few weeks it has calmed down. THe places where it is normaly active are quite still. I continued to look today because a few things struck me as odd. Here is what I have found

quake.utah.edu...

East Kanab, UT

does not look very good at all.

it also appears that there was a larger than normal quake at San Rafael Swell, UT. check this out please and tell me what you think. Everything else is unusualy calm. I would love to see that as a good thing, but many have posted that it is good when it is active because it is releasing energy and wory when it stops.

ALso I have been watching the old faithful webcam for awhile. It lookes almost as if there is some black smoke comming out of it, there is the steam too, but it does look like some smoke also today. Must not be too bad because there are people standing around it. Also, it went from steaming to nothing to looking like it was about to go off 5 min. early to nothing and then it went off 5 min late. SO much for setting your clock by it.
I mean, I know 5 min. woo hoo, but they have always known the exact min. it would go off. So it kind of struck me as odd being late. what do you think?

www.nps.gov...

Anyone with info please let me know.

THanks.

oh and if you want to check out other old faithful webcam shots here is a link

www.yellowstone.net...

I recon in jan. they changed their prediction times to +/- 10 min on feb 11 it was 15 min later, but on feb 17 it was 1hour and 6 min early

[edit on 20-2-2005 by mrsdudara]

posted on Feb, 20 2005 @ 05:23 PM
link   
Utah is doing a little dance, whadya know..

Good post!

I get complacent about Yellowstone for weeks at a time, and then something like this happens, and I'm back to checking the webcams and seismos on an hourly basis.

I think there is quite a bit of pressure in the area, ground levels are constantly moving upward at a pace that, while not lightning fast, is considerable on the time scale of earth movements. I think most of the trail closures are for snow, repair, and inaccesibility due to cuts in ranger staff. They might be because of the caldera, but I doubt it.

I think we're going to have an interesting last week of the month. That's the vaguest possible prediction I could muster, now let's see if it comes true.

I'd actually like to live to see the caldera blow. I live on the east coast, so my only worries will be sweeping all that black ash off my front steps.
I'll probably bottle it and sell it on ebay.

posted on Feb, 21 2005 @ 06:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by WyrdeOne
I think we're going to have an interesting last week of the month. That's the vaguest possible prediction I could muster, now let's see if it comes true.

I'd actually like to live to see the caldera blow. I live on the east coast, so my only worries will be sweeping all that black ash off my front steps.
I'll probably bottle it and sell it on ebay.

And you would like to live after the caldera blows too right?

You probably already knew this but if Yellowstone blows it will theoretically create a devistating "nuclear winter". So you might have to wait a bit on the E-Bay thing.

posted on Feb, 21 2005 @ 07:26 AM
link   
Well it is possible that an event of that magnitude could cause an ice age, there's also a chance it could speed up global warming by trapping more heat under the aptmosphere. There's a chance it will do neither, and simply fade away like the clouds from all other volcanoes. Nobody knows for sure, but there is a lot of data on both sides.

I'm still rooting for it, even though I've thought through the consequences. I think change is violent and difficult, but no less necessary to the continuation of our existence.

posted on Feb, 21 2005 @ 10:38 AM
link   
seems to me this is a huge ZIT that is not going to heal itself- so may need a lancing before it gets worse.

the best course of action IMO is to dig a huge well and denotate a nuke about a mile underground and give the thing something to vent to.

a natural disaster- sure- but if the thing is allowed to continue to build pressure all the more likely to be much bigger problem.

every once in a great while you do have to lance a zit to make the darn thing go away- and it does hurt a bit.

posted on Feb, 21 2005 @ 11:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by launchpad
seems to me this is a huge ZIT that is not going to heal itself- so may need a lancing before it gets worse.

the best course of action IMO is to dig a huge well and denotate a nuke about a mile underground and give the thing something to vent to.

a natural disaster- sure- but if the thing is allowed to continue to build pressure all the more likely to be much bigger problem.

every once in a great while you do have to lance a zit to make the darn thing go away- and it does hurt a bit.

EEEEEEEEEWWWWWWWWWWWWW! thats gross!!!!!!!!!!!

posted on Feb, 21 2005 @ 12:14 PM
link   
Maybe our global warming, will balance the nuclear winter...

Everybody is watching and taking measurements at Yellowstone , but do people have any idea to control/contain/prevent such an event, can't they just make a big 1 km thick and 100 km wide heavy reinforced concrete sheet over this pressure cooker?

[edit on 21-2-2005 by Countermeasures]

posted on Feb, 21 2005 @ 04:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Countermeasures

Everybody is watching and taking measurements at Yellowstone , but do people have any idea to control/contain/prevent such an event, can't they just make a big 1 km thick and 100 km wide heavy reinforced concrete sheet over this pressure cooker?

I don't think that concrete sheet would hold. Probably just create lots of shrapnel

Originally posted by WyrdeOne

I'm still rooting for it, even though I've thought through the consequences. I think change is violent and difficult, but no less necessary to the continuation of our existence.

I agree change, especially earth changes, are often destructive but that doesn't mean they are not a natural process of creation. One begets the other. This erruption would be a natural process of the Earth; necessary for it's existence...not ours. We just happen to live here. Buckle up.

posted on Feb, 22 2005 @ 05:06 AM
link   
Ok, another idea for "some" containment:

Crygenic tanks at rocketbases and munitionstores are generally surrounded by broad solid concrete dikes that have a 45" incline angle (pyramid shape), very broad at the base and narrow at the top, a very solid and stable strucure...

How about surrounding the whole park with a trangular shaped dike that is like 300 mrs thick at the base and nrrows to a top of 100 mrs high ?

The aim is not to stop the explosion of the caldera, but rather using the incline angle to "cut" the schockwave and deflect it upwards. Also the circular dike should create a lake that contain a lot of molten magma instead of having several states flooded by it.

To make good use of the huge investment , the dike should be given dual or multipurpose, like installing vertical windturbines on top of the dike, wich can take advantage of higher windspeeds at higher altitudes and also the windconentrating effects of the incline slope.. Also rainwater that flushes from the slopes, could be collected at the base in a channel, to be used for iirigation of farmland across the states. Also put a railroad on top of the dike, or alternatively have a vacume tunnel inside the dike that allows for a very fast magllev train (speeds over 1000 kmph)

Another option is to have the dike (that has a circumference of several hundreds of kilometers) contain the largest particle accellerator ring in the world, making the the CERN lLarge Hadron Collider with its "puny" 27km-circumference look like a childs toy, maybe this will give us the grand scale we need to economically produce antimatter in larger quantities for spacetravel (and the millitary would like to jump on the bandwagon for sure), naturally the electricty could be provided by the windfarms running on top of the dike.

That leaves the problem of the vucanic ashes going straight up into the stratosphere and possibly inducing a nuclear winter.

How about some blimps with hydrogen bombs, the explosions are meant to push downwards against the rising plume, so that many of it will not reach the stratosphere, the lower atmosphere will be fulll of vulcanic ash however, but this dust will settle much faster to the ground than dust in the stratosphere that keep floating for decades?

[edit on 22-2-2005 by Countermeasures]

posted on Apr, 12 2005 @ 11:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by johnb
Has anyone looked at what the other caldera around the planet are doing? I can't remember where they are but I think there was one near Italy somewhere - could be wrong though.

I think we need to be concerned about TOBA (Circa: 72,000BC) again. With the last two big earthquakes in Sumatra and on the 'same' fault zone, another big 8.7 mag. or larger earthquake could just possibly be the one that sets off the supervolcano TOBA. If you were around approx. 74,000 years ago (you must be pretty old now) when TOBA last erupted, it must have been a 'bad day' for the hairy hominids and neanderthals that were having 'club' meetings at the time it erupted. Tracing Michondral DNA evidence back to that approx. period of time has demonstrated there was definetely a 'thinning out' of the existing world population of cave dwellers that were kicking around at that time, down to a mere 5,000 to 8,000 bone-chewing individuals. If it goes off again and it probably will sooner than later, leave that day 'blank' on calendar, especially if a another 'big' sumatra earthquake is centered near TOBA!

Mag10

new topics

top topics

<< 11  12  13    15 >>

join