It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Yikes be ready for empty shelves thanks to the teamsters shutting down Yellow Trucking

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 1 2023 @ 09:38 AM
link   
Its going to really going to get real tough now.

1. Stock up on can goods.
2. Restaurants are going to be closing.
3. Ask yourself why is this happening and why won't the US govt. help . Oh, the 100 billion goes to Ukraine.

posted on Aug, 1 2023 @ 09:51 AM
link   
I don't get it. It sounds like the union just cost 30,000 people their jobs.

How exactly is that helping employees?

It also sounds like the company didn't exactly have the best business model the last few decades. The union put the final nail in the coffin.

posted on Aug, 1 2023 @ 09:53 AM
link   
a reply to: musicismagic

That's shocking to me, but it does not sound like it was a shock to those in the industry. According to the video, suppliers have been pulling freight out of Yellow for some time because they saw the company failing and did not want their freight lost in the system and showing up on eBay.

The conclusion I would draw from that is that we are not looking at a sudden loss of items on the shelves. Apparently industry has already been transitioning to other transportation companies. There may be a slight bump in supply, but I don't think we will see empty shelves.

posted on Aug, 1 2023 @ 09:56 AM
link   
a reply to: Bishop2199
Exactly.
Yellow looks to have been in trouble for years.
www.freightwaves.com...

posted on Aug, 1 2023 @ 10:43 AM
link   

Meanwhile their stock is shooting way up the past few days.

HOT NEWS on my brokerage says:

Yellow Corporation shares are trading higher after Teamsters said the company has ceased operations and is preparing for bankruptcy.

This meme stock market is such a joke.

Interestingly, I also see a 10% owner of Yellow just bought over $11M of YELL shares yesterday... how interesting finviz.com...

posted on Aug, 1 2023 @ 11:09 AM
link   
As someone who used to use them:

Yellow bought USF holland back in the day. Holland was huge, at least regionally around here, much bigger than Yellow.. They basically killed Holland. Laying off drivers, giving routes to Yellow, ect. We used to talk to the drivers all the time, and they knew what was going on.

So, whomever is/was running Yellow, should not be in charge of anything. One would think this was done on purpose.

posted on Aug, 1 2023 @ 11:22 AM
link   
I think the investors are betting on government bailout money once again and waiting to dump them after the bailout, I say let the company die, and UPS should worry that they will be next...

posted on Aug, 1 2023 @ 12:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: ATSAlex
I think the investors are betting on government bailout money once again and waiting to dump them after the bailout, I say let the company die, and UPS should worry that they will be next...

I feel that way about most companies let them succeed or fail without government intervention, but intervention became protection when lobbying became a thing.

Let's face it our government today would have likely propped up the horse and buggy business as automobiles became more viable, stalling innovation and retarding our growth.

Been hearing about driverless trucks for years... it seems to be the next thing, or is it something else

Sort of like big coal and gas along with eco-warriors influenced government enough to regulate nuclear power where it's extremely difficult to get new ones approved.

www.marketplace.org...
edit on 1-8-2023 by putnam6 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 1 2023 @ 02:47 PM
link   
All this does is reiterate my contention that Unions are outdated, and have been, for quite some time.

A regular person can negotiate their hours, negotiate their pay, get promoted based on skill, organize walkouts, speak up directly to their employer, and many other things.

When you're in a Union, THEY negotiate your pay. Your hours. Your promotion. Your benefits. Whether or not you work. They say jump, and you ask "how high?" and it's not until they say so, that any of the aforementioned happens.

They drive prices up, they take away your voice, they close down entire businesses, and you pay them to do it.

Kind of like the Hollywood strike going on and their Unions; they have had all these issues with the pay scale and a plethora of other items, but couldn't do anything about it until the Unions said so.

posted on Aug, 1 2023 @ 10:02 PM
link   
a reply to: face23785

A couple of weeks ago there was a video of a trucker at Yellow Co, who just found out, after 30 years at the company, he had zero pension. It seems Yellow mishandled the funds intended for these pensions.

posted on Aug, 2 2023 @ 12:06 AM
link   
I work in the industry. Yellow has been running on smoke and mirrors for years. Their freight will be picked up by other LTL carriers, won't result in supply line issues. I do feel bad for the people who worked at the company, including a couple dear friends.

posted on Aug, 2 2023 @ 10:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: dothedew
All this does is reiterate my contention that Unions are outdated, and have been, for quite some time.

A regular person can negotiate their hours, negotiate their pay, get promoted based on skill, organize walkouts, speak up directly to their employer, and many other things.

When you're in a Union, THEY negotiate your pay. Your hours. Your promotion. Your benefits. Whether or not you work. They say jump, and you ask "how high?" and it's not until they say so, that any of the aforementioned happens.

They drive prices up, they take away your voice, they close down entire businesses, and you pay them to do it.

Kind of like the Hollywood strike going on and their Unions; they have had all these issues with the pay scale and a plethora of other items, but couldn't do anything about it until the Unions said so.

A whole lot of this. Unions were important at one point, but they served their purpose. Kind of like how women's rights and civil rights have completely jumped the shark, so now they're hunting around for fake instances of "sexism" and "racism" to "fight" against.

The only time I hear people mention unions is in the context of political activism, or when they're bragging about some #ed up thing they did at their job that should've gotten them fired but the union will protect them. And we wonder why service is at an all-time low. # employees are protected by unions, dragging standards down. It's especially bad in the government. That's why nothing ever improves at the VA. The worst employees are practically impossible to fire.
edit on 2 8 23 by face23785 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2023 @ 11:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: musicismagic
Its going to really going to get real tough now.

1. Stock up on can goods.
2. Restaurants are going to be closing.
3. Ask yourself why is this happening and why won't the US govt. help . Oh, the 100 billion goes to Ukraine.

prepare for this to be used as a reason to fast track autonomous trucks for long hauls and hire non union mom and pop locals.

doesnt sound like a good idea for unions to do this at a time when truckers should be nervous anyways.

posted on Aug, 2 2023 @ 02:47 PM
link   

Nice fear mongering. Yellow was an LTL carrier, that had very little to do with stocking the shelves. Most LTL trailers are going from business to business, or business to home.

top topics

join