It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SCI/TECH: Cure For All Cancers 'In Five Years'

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 8 2005 @ 07:23 AM
link   
In a spectacular development, scientists in Manchester, UK, have developed a genetic therapy that seems to eradicate all types of cancer. The new therapy involves injecting genetically modified T-cells (the cells within our body that fight infection) and using them to seek out cancer cells and destroy them. The new treatment also leaves otherwise healthy cells untouched, unlike other regular cancer treatments.

news.bbc.co.uk
Scientists in Manchester say a cure for all types of cancer could be available on the NHS within five years.

The world's first patient trials in a technique which genetically engineers cells will take place at the city's Christie Hospital later this year.

The treatment - gene-modified t-cell therapy - could replace more intrusive treatments like chemotherapy.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

This is absolutely amazing. If this treatment works, then it could save literally millions of lives and eradicate a plague that has beset humanity for years.

Incidentally, the new therapy involves boosting the body's own defences against the disease, which has been the idea behind many alternative and unconventional treatments one can find discussed on the Internet.

Hopefully, further testing and trials will demonstrate this to be the Holy Grail that has been sought after for so long and we can rid humanity of a disease that is responsible for many premature or avoidable deaths.

Related News Links:
news.bbc.co.uk
www.christie.nhs.uk

posted on Apr, 8 2005 @ 07:52 AM
link   
This almost sounds too good to be true. If this treatment pans out, it could be the biggest thing in medical history. Also this would earn the creators of this treatment the Nobel Prize to boot. I would like to see it work after all the billions the U.S. Govt. and others have contributed to it. This would most likely be the major breakthrough of the 21st. Century. I'm going to keep my fingers crossed and follow this and if there is something I can contribute to this cause, I will be glad to post and keep this up to date.

posted on Apr, 8 2005 @ 08:05 AM
link   
Why does this seem so hard to believe? We've pumped billions into a Cancer industry, it was only a matter of time before our gifted scientists came up with something huge. I'll follow this subject closely, hopefully we see some rapid progress soon.

posted on Apr, 8 2005 @ 08:08 AM
link   
This sounds like an amazing discovery, but the proceedure sounds relatively simple. I'm sure people will be lining up for the treatment. But it says it will not be available to the general public for five years. I wonder if there are any side affects?

posted on Apr, 8 2005 @ 08:41 AM
link   

posted by FLYIN HIGH
I would like to see it work after all the billions the U.S. Govt

Just to make sure before everyone thinks it's an American thing, all the funding and research has been done in the UK.

Not a partisan/nationalist thing, just credit where credit is due.

posted on Apr, 8 2005 @ 09:03 AM
link   
You can bet the cancer industry will not allow this at any cost to proceed, since any significant advance in curing cancer threatens their hundreds of billions of dollars in profits poisoning people with chemo. These kinds of announcements are given for the purpose of stiring the hopes of people that significant advancement towards a cancer cure is being done. Meanwhile most of these projects are quietly suppressed so you never hear about them again except on the back pages. If you want to treat your cancer you have to research it as completely as possible, because you will almost never find it through conventional coal tar derived prescription medicines.

Face it modern medicine has long ago been dedicated to failure in the "C word," the cure for diseases. It is failed through coercion from the massive pharmaceutical cartels, and it does not appear these people are becoming any less overly powerful. Presidents are beholden to them, Congress is its slave, while the ordinary country doctor is helpless against it. You can see that any time a better way is found, that it will be suppressed one way or another, including by lethal means as necessary to sustain cartel profits.

Evidence of previous suppression tactics is all over the internet, and you can choose the most credible of testimony on that issue with a Google.

Oh I am as optimistic as anyone that this will be the way to cure cancer, but the politics of it demands heavy doses of nearly useless chemicals. Maybe the extreme rich will have the cure released, but the common people have a history of such things being snatched from their hopes and dreams. I would surround these researchers with heavily screened troops if I was really interested in curing cancer.

posted on Apr, 8 2005 @ 09:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by Linux
Why does this seem so hard to believe? We've pumped billions into a Cancer industry, it was only a matter of time before our gifted scientists came up with something huge. I'll follow this subject closely, hopefully we see some rapid progress soon.

I work in Oncology and I can tell you that 95% of all reasearch is done on treatments, not cures. There's just too much profit to be made in treatments.

posted on Apr, 8 2005 @ 09:21 AM
link   
you actually believe that they will intentionally not find a cure for the sole purpose of keeping their profits up?

interesting concept. Now, when the men come to fit you with the cool white coat with the long sleeves, remember, the buttons go in the back.

posted on Apr, 8 2005 @ 09:25 AM
link   
All I said is that most research is done on treatments. You tell me why the percentage isn't reversed

posted on Apr, 8 2005 @ 09:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by Crakeur
you actually believe that they will intentionally not find a cure for the sole purpose of keeping their profits up?

interesting concept. Now, when the men come to fit you with the cool white coat with the long sleeves, remember, the buttons go in the back.

The men in the white coats should take away the insane pharmaceutical pressure groups, and unless you were born yesterday, did it ever occur to you that big companies are not intested in your health at all, nada, zip, zilch. Have a nice day breathing depeleted uranium when you go to Iraq and Afghanistan now, after all it is so "nutritious."

[edit on 8-4-2005 by SkipShipman]

posted on Apr, 8 2005 @ 09:30 AM
link   

Thats quite easy to believe I think. In a capital-driven society, where even war is made into an industry, why should cancer be any different?

posted on Apr, 8 2005 @ 09:30 AM
link   
Definitely keep an eye on this story. We've heard reports like this...an 'cure' treatment for MS, Cancer, AIDS. However, in a few months...all research suddenly stops. Why? Because corporate influences are exerted on the government daily.

There is no money in the cure, just for the treatment. Pfizer and other large pharmaceutical corporations would rather spend their research funds treating erectile dysfunctions and receding hairlines than cure a disease in Africa that kills millions.

And want to know why? Starving and impoverish people don't have Visa or Mastercard

posted on Apr, 8 2005 @ 09:40 AM
link   
I would literally tithe to the creators of this marvel if it is true...

Seriously... If we knew for sure that cancer was now treatable like a bacterial disease... it would change the world...

of course, it would be nice to eliminate the cause of cancer also...
but a cure is great.

posted on Apr, 8 2005 @ 09:40 AM
link   
If this treatment is legit and comes to full fruitation, then there are other things that should be considered. IMO, the most important one being: by genetically altering our immune system will we indirectly cause a super cancer to form? A mutation of the likes of which has never been seen could be a major downfall with this. Kind of like what Penicillin has done.

posted on Apr, 8 2005 @ 09:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by Linux
Why does this seem so hard to believe?

Because it is a big money maker and the idea that a cure would be allowed to make it to the public would mean drasticly less profits for the pharm comps/medical industry. Really think they wouldn't stop that any way possible to them?

posted on Apr, 8 2005 @ 09:44 AM
link   

They've been doing so for years. It's good business, you have to remember that these pharmaceutical companies are Corporations. They have no moral or social responbility to save the world, they are here to benefit the owners of the company, the share holders.

I mean think about it, we can clone humans, clone humans! but we don't have a cure for the common cold.

[edit on 4/8/2005 by Simulacra]

posted on Apr, 8 2005 @ 09:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by SkipShipman

The men in the white coats should take away the insane pharmaceutical pressure groups, and unless you were born yesterday, did it ever occur to you that big companies are not intested in your health at all, nada, zip, zilch.

Well its not like its our health, its their health as well, so even we take your assumption that they all want us to die of cancer, I doubt they want their families, their friends or themselves to die of cancer. At the end of the day, there's more things to live than just money, ones health being one of them

posted on Apr, 8 2005 @ 09:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by picard_is_actually_a_grey
At the end of the day, there's more things to live than just money, ones health being one of them

In a perfect world...sure.

I must agree with many of the members above. This research won't go very far, at least not far enough to help the millions of people suffering from cancer. Why do I always get the feeling that these cures exist, for various ailments, yet their release to the masses is suppressed in the name of money and greed? Probably because it's true.

Kudos to these guys for trying.

posted on Apr, 8 2005 @ 09:59 AM
link   

Well its not like its our health, its their health as well, so even we take your assumption that they all want us to die of cancer, I doubt they want their families, their friends or themselves to die of cancer. At the end of the day, there's more things to live than just money, ones health being one of them

Yeah but notice it saids that it "Won't be available to the public" for at least five years. If they want the cure they can buy a cure. Doesn't mean the public will see or have the chance for the cure, when they spend so much on treatments.

posted on Apr, 8 2005 @ 10:05 AM
link   

The men in the white coats should take away the insane pharmaceutical pressure groups, and unless you were born yesterday, did it ever occur to you that big companies are not intested in your health at all, nada, zip, zilch.

You may have read the earlier post:

Oh I am as optimistic as anyone that this will be the way to cure cancer, but the politics of it demands heavy doses of nearly useless chemicals. Maybe the extreme rich will have the cure released, but the common people have a history of such things being snatched from their hopes and dreams. I would surround these researchers with heavily screened troops if I was really interested in curing cancer.

Comment: The point is that I understand that pharmaceutical companies consist of human beings, well taken. You have to understand that they probably do invest hundreds of millions and more with things that actually cure people of illnesses. The fact is that the general public will on the track record of previous events not obtain it. I could suggest that all of these cures are quite carefully reserved for highly elite clients, only the most "worthy." The rest of the people are simply cannon fodder in their eyes, whose treatment consist in chemicals that may only alleviate symptoms. A sustained industry requires such treatments, with the purpose of buying more treatments. That is an economic fact, a political fact, but of course it is the same kind of flawed science we have been seeing since at least the 12th century.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join