It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SCI/TECH: Cure For All Cancers 'In Five Years'

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 8 2005 @ 10:30 AM
link   
Most of the arguments here are using faulty logic.

Pharmacutical corporations would not supress a medical product that would be the most commericially sucessful product of all time. A universal cancer treatment would give profits to its corporation the likes we've never seen before.

Thats incentive enough to find the cure.

Also like mentioned before, the pharmacutical corporates have families and are just as prone to cancer as any one else. I have not heard of any magical cures of anyones cancer and I think we'd of noticed if not a single member of a pharmacutical bigwigs family had ever died of cancer.

Lastly some of you assume a scientist who is dedicated enough to find a cure for cancer would be able to keep that to themselves. Whether they were told to keep quiet or not they would shout it from the roof tops and post it everywhere on the internet.

If I was a betting man I'd say there is no economically motivated supression of a cancer cure. However I would be willing to accept that a cancer cure would be supressed due to the countless hundreds of millions of people who would live on and put pressure on our already overstretched global population.

[edit on 8/4/05 by subz]

posted on Apr, 8 2005 @ 10:53 AM
link   
Humans mostly value their family (doctors included) so its not too hard to make the scientists keep quiet; you simply tell them they remain quiet or thier family and friends become quiet forever. Considering the size of the companies involved it would not be that hard to shuffle a chunk of money to fund the suppression of knowledge with threats of violence and in some circumstances actual violence. Don't put too much past our capitliast society, after all it is the dollar we worship above all else.

posted on Apr, 8 2005 @ 10:54 AM
link   
Skipshipman--I'm with you on this one. The success of this treatment vs the hundreds of billions of dollars made from the treatment of industrial- caused-cancers leaves little hope for a cure.

And you know what? I don't see very many of the really powerful people die of cancer--but I don't get out much.

posted on Apr, 8 2005 @ 02:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jonna
Because it is a big money maker and the idea that a cure would be allowed to make it to the public would mean drasticly less profits for the pharm comps/medical industry. Really think they wouldn't stop that any way possible to them?

Even if there is no cure available there will be a treatment. Like Supafly pointed out to me, there is money to be made in treatments and people will pay.

posted on Apr, 8 2005 @ 02:14 PM
link   
I can only hope that capitalism prevail in its own fashion:

Think about the money that can be charged for this new treatment and teh subsequesnt follow up and such (as I am sure will be required). The thing is, current patients on treatment don't live too long (alas). So they stop being paying customers anyway.

I would gladly sell my house to afford such treatment for my father. When this idea sinks, maybe a large corp would buy a patent from this people and will be reaping huge profits for the next 17 years until the patent expires.

I'm sure this treatment and the followup can be costly as well (know firsthand), so maybe economically it'll work out.

posted on Apr, 8 2005 @ 03:44 PM
link   
I think you have this a bit off.

Why do we hear of miracle cures, miracle devices, with all sorts of hype, that disappear?

Because the announcements were smoke, mirrors and BS. There never was a product, or anything like potential for a product. it was all media hype to pump up investment and produce advertisement. Just like "IT" or "ginger" a couple of years ago.

Turns out, the reality is crap. Doesn't work, or as more research is done, shows that the reality doesn't do what was hoped. Which is what I fear the whole "stem cell" issue will be-hype to get taxpayers to throw money down black-hole drains, for "research" in privately held organizations and companies, with no need to produce any results. When most likely, the truth of the matter will be useless results. That modified stem cells at best are uncontrollable and work best as an "instant cancer" causing uncontrolled cell growth.

Hell, wouldn't that be a kicker? All of you ranking on the US for not spending more government money on stem cell research, when the only application to come out of it is a powerful and terrifying bioweapon...

Originally posted by Simulacra
Definitely keep an eye on this story. We've heard reports like this...an 'cure' treatment for MS, Cancer, AIDS. However, in a few months...all research suddenly stops. Why? Because corporate influences are exerted on the government daily.

There is no money in the cure, just for the treatment. Pfizer and other large pharmaceutical corporations would rather spend their research funds treating erectile dysfunctions and receding hairlines than cure a disease in Africa that kills millions.

And want to know why? Starving and impoverish people don't have Visa or Mastercard

posted on Apr, 8 2005 @ 03:46 PM
link   
this is what's been called "the magic bullet"-a holy grail for oncology for as long as I've been able to read science magazines. I can recall at least two major announcements of "finding" miraculous cancer fighters, that all turned out to be disappointing...though those same techniques are still currently used as common treatment options, they just weren't the "cure" everyone hoped.

Originally posted by stumason
In a spectacular development, scientists in Manchester, UK, have developed a genetic therapy that seems to eradicate all types of cancer. The new therapy involves injecting genetically modified T-cells (the cells within our body that fight infection) and using them to seek out cancer cells and destroy them. The new treatment also leaves otherwise healthy cells untouched, unlike other regular cancer treatments.

news.bbc.co.uk
Scientists in Manchester say a cure for all types of cancer could be available on the NHS within five years.

The world's first patient trials in a technique which genetically engineers cells will take place at the city's Christie Hospital later this year.

The treatment - gene-modified t-cell therapy - could replace more intrusive treatments like chemotherapy.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

This is absolutely amazing. If this treatment works, then it could save literally millions of lives and eradicate a plague that has beset humanity for years.

Incidentally, the new therapy involves boosting the body's own defences against the disease, which has been the idea behind many alternative and unconventional treatments one can find discussed on the Internet.

Hopefully, further testing and trials will demonstrate this to be the Holy Grail that has been sought after for so long and we can rid humanity of a disease that is responsible for many premature or avoidable deaths.

Related News Links:
news.bbc.co.uk
www.christie.nhs.uk

posted on Apr, 8 2005 @ 03:51 PM
link   
It's OK to be skeptic when it comes to a comples tech like this one,
then again, who knows.

Maybe this time it'll work. I read the link and it sounds plausible.

posted on Apr, 8 2005 @ 03:52 PM
link   
With the number of new cancer cases every year worldwide, I'm sure there is still plenty of money to be made in marketing a cancer cure.

posted on Apr, 8 2005 @ 05:42 PM
link   
That's true centurion, cancer is not something that can be erradicated, it's not a disease that's communicable, so they can just charge out the @ss for this treatment, and they would profit nicely. But I do believe this industry has huge pull over just about everything, ever wonder why one or two people die, possibly due to ephedrine and it get's banned, or some ignorant teenagers take andro, ignoring the fact it states on the bottles that it's intended for use by adults over 21, and it gets banned, but cigarettes kill millions of people, and millions of teens smoke, but cigarettes are still legal? The government tries to create the illusion it's looking out for us by banning nutritional supplements that may be dangerous for some, but allows without any opposition products that are dangerous for all. It's amazing more people don't see it.

posted on Apr, 8 2005 @ 06:22 PM
link   
Sylvia Brown,had already stated that cancer,and aids would cease to exist.For those that don't know she is a world reknown pyschic.This is great news to hear though.Even though I think the government makes a lot of our viruses.This is monumental news and it's great to see these things coming into reality. Just waiting for the domed cities to come into play.

posted on Apr, 8 2005 @ 07:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by menguard
Even though I think the government makes a lot of our viruses.

Personally, I don't think the government creates them, I think it's the natural thinning of our population. There's been an ongoing arms race between man and nature, that's why we're seeing mutated viruses and infections resistant to antibiotics. Disease is natures only way to keep us in check, being as there are no creatures that feed on us regularly. Just as some posters have said, if this is true, look for a new form of cancer or something else to emerge. And until we have the ability to begin populating Mars to help with the overflow of people, it's not necessarily a bad thing, unless of course it happens to you or someone you love.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join