It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

You Ready to Give College Kids A Break?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 17 2023 @ 10:28 AM
link   
We have spent untold sums on Ukraine.

Now I’m 100% convinced we will cover the losses for the banks going under and any future ones…

So, do you still think we shouldn’t give our kids a break with their college debt?

Isn’t it funny how people won’t say a peep when it’s something not in their circle of status, like Ukraine (Oh that’s just how the government works) or big banks (Oh the rich always get their way).

But when it is our kids, OUR KIDS, All of OUR KIDS, all of a sudden everyone has a FIGHT in them. Man, they have us brainwashed good.
I know why too, people just can’t see someone of their status get something they didn’t get. “It isn’t FAIR”.
They can’t stand to see someone, even a young person get a leg up. It’s pretty sick when you think about it. In the past people would have done
Anything to give the youth a leg up.

The question shouldn’t even be why are we paying off debt for students, the question should be whey there is debt in the first place?
Who decided 12th grade was enough? You know in other countries college is no cost or low cost and it seems to work just fine.

They have us squabbling for dry bread crumbs when the true riches are being squandered right in front of our eyes!

posted on Mar, 17 2023 @ 10:55 AM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

Banks and or depositors should not receive relief other than the $250K promised by FDIC......Our kids should have to grow up and pay their debts, rather than put the burden on taxpayers who never borrowed any money for college and never earned a degree. As to why there is a cost for college , that is for another discussion.

+1 more 
posted on Mar, 17 2023 @ 10:56 AM
link   

I've had to borrow money before where the terms weren't great, but I needed the loan and I signed on the dotted line as a consenting adult.

Why should blue collar workers who never got a Social Studies degree or who paid off their own student loans subsidize those who took out loans & signed on the dotted line? Or those who worked several jobs/sacrificed vacations or took on overtime to pay for their kids' college?

That's like asking for a prenuptual agreement now that the divorce is coming and you don't want your ex-spouse to "take half". The marriage happened, the prenup wasn't signed, it doesn't work like that. These borrowers signed on the dotted line and went to college (some of the time they spent a significant amount of their college loan $ on video games/clothes/vacations/partying instead of what the loan was meant to go towards)

Nearly half of student loan forgiveness recipients will use relief to go on vacation

73% of applicants say they are likely to spend their extra money on non-essentials, including vacations, smartphone, drugs/alcohol

Free Vacations? 73% of Student Loan Borrowers Plan to Use Debt Forgiveness on Non-Essentials

Nah.
edit on 17-3-2023 by FamCore because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 17 2023 @ 11:00 AM
link   

If anything is brainwashing us besides the government these days, it's our colleges. These kids come out thinking they're so bright and intelligent (many love to brag about it), but can't even get a job to pay their loans back.

+1 more 
posted on Mar, 17 2023 @ 11:09 AM
link   
Colleges and universities jacked up their tuition when student loans were greatly expanded.

The government passed laws to ensure they could not be written off in a bankruptcy.

The schools need to take the hit on defaults... how many of these kids have totally worthless degrees, and end up working at Starbucks? They spent a fortune on that worthless degree, they will never be able to pay it back, and now they want to stick us with the bill.

The schools need to eat the loss.

posted on Mar, 17 2023 @ 11:12 AM
link   
My sons went to college on scholarships. We told them at a young age that we couldn't afford to pay and the only way they could go would be to make good grades. They both did that and earn 6 figures but they have worked long and hard to get there. Your average college student hasn't done enough to deserve charity.

posted on Mar, 17 2023 @ 11:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: LSU2018

If anything is brainwashing us besides the government these days, it's our colleges. These kids come out thinking they're so bright and intelligent (many love to brag about it), but can't even get a job to pay their loans back.

I don’t doubt that in some case. In some cases kids were misled into thinking a college education was all that was needed to get ahead.

There are a lot of parts and a lot of blame, and not all of it falls on the kids. Schools really stress college college college. It’s almost if you are a complete failure if you do anything else. That is problem #1
No not everyone needs to go to college.

Problem #2, the cost of college is actually not that bad, but it’s the housing and food and all the extras, a lot of which is REQUIRED. Yes some colleges require you live on campus.

Problem #3, predatory loans. Colleges will give students sooo much money, but they will not give the same student the same amount to open a business etc. Those loans should be able to be discharged through bankruptcy.

Problem #4, High cost of Teacher pensions. The UW schools are the number 1 employer in our state, that equals a lot of pensions to pay for and in turn causes a catch 22 with this whole expensive system.

posted on Mar, 17 2023 @ 11:15 AM
link   

If a college gives out a worthless degree, then why would anyone but the college be obliged to pay for it. All degrees that involve loans should be for a marketable skill so the loan can be repaid quickly.

There is not much of a market for historians of ancient Greek fashion. How many equity administrators are needed?

Also anyone that graduates college and cannot balance a checkbook, cook simple meals, change a tyre and check fluids in a car needs a full refund from that college.

posted on Mar, 17 2023 @ 11:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: madmac5150
Colleges and universities jacked up their tuition when student loans were greatly expanded.

The government passed laws to ensure they could not be written off in a bankruptcy.

The schools need to take the hit on defaults... how many of these kids have totally worthless degrees, and end up working at Starbucks? They spent a fortune on that worthless degree, they will never be able to pay it back, and now they want to stick us with the bill.

The schools need to eat the loss.

Totally agree!!!!

posted on Mar, 17 2023 @ 11:21 AM
link   
a reply to: beyondknowledge2

If a college gives out a worthless degree, then why would anyone but the college be obliged to pay for it. All degrees that involve loans should be for a marketable skill so the loan can be repaid quickly.

I don’t think there are worthless degrees. I’ve heard that and we’ve often heard liberal arts degrees or basket weaving.
Someone once said they can find a plumber in 5 minutes but they were searching for months to find a psychiatric help
With their child that wants to change genders. PS before you jump down my throat, there are people that study this to prevent kids from irreversible surgery!

posted on Mar, 17 2023 @ 11:23 AM
link   
As with the border crisis this is just bass ackwards. It has nothing to do with education and everything to do with keeping people divided.

They could address the heart of the issue and change the law going forward if it was really about 'helping' kids to a higher education.

Colleges are BIG business, and there's a lot of money to be made. Nobody plans on killing the golden goose.

Judge Judy is full of law suits where the student gave most of their money to their latest love interest and since breaking up want it back.

They could always expand programs like PEL grants to enable those who live at poverty level to continue their education.

What about all the kids that go to college for the party and either drop or flunk out? Of course their will be no stipulation that they must complete their education or earn a decent grade. Joe understands this, having graduated at the bottom of his class.

My GS makes high six figures less than 2 years out of college and since his dad cosigned the loan he's qualified to have $20,000.00 erased. That's less than a months wages for him, and the tax payers living at or near poverty level should pay for that? I think not.

posted on Mar, 17 2023 @ 11:33 AM
link   
a reply to: nugget1

My GS makes high six figures less than 2 years out of college and since his dad cosigned the loan he's qualified to have $20,000.00 erased. That's less than a months wages for him, and the tax payers living at or near poverty level should pay for that? I think not.

But they are ok with paying for Ukraine and Big Banks…?

www.cfr.org...

Since the war began, the Biden administration and the U.S. Congress have directed more than $75 billion in assistance to Ukraine, which includes humanitarian, financial, and military support, according to the Kiel Institute for the World Economy,

edit on 17-3-2023 by JAGStorm because: (no reason given)

The reality is we are going to pay, oh yes they are going to tax the hell out of us.
The reality is, it is GOING to go to someone’s kid, either a kid in Ukraine, or a rich bankers kid.

www.pbs.org...

Federal Reserve lent $300 billion in emergency funds to banks in the past week

edit on 17-3-2023 by JAGStorm because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 17 2023 @ 12:04 PM
link   

I did not and still do not support the idiocy in Ukraine.

With respect to the banks, yes, it stinks but without a banking system, we have no economy, and not just a recession but a Depression, probably worse than the last one. I suspect we have not seen the last of the bank failures and more money will be required.

With respect to student loans - NO.
NOT A GOD-DAMN PENNY !!!!

Those that have paid and can pay are those in productive fields like STEM, law, MDs

Those that can't pay are those that took basket weaving degrees - THAT POOR CHOICE IS ON THEM.
Same assholes that push Antifa and Communism due to THEIR poor choices.
F*ck 'em

posted on Mar, 17 2023 @ 12:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm
We have spent untold sums on Ukraine.

Now I’m 100% convinced we will cover the losses for the banks going under and any future ones…

So, do you still think we shouldn’t give our kids a break with their college debt?

Isn’t it funny how people won’t say a peep when it’s something not in their circle of status, like Ukraine (Oh that’s just how the government works) or big banks (Oh the rich always get their way).

But when it is our kids, OUR KIDS, All of OUR KIDS, all of a sudden everyone has a FIGHT in them. Man, they have us brainwashed good.
I know why too, people just can’t see someone of their status get something they didn’t get. “It isn’t FAIR”.
They can’t stand to see someone, even a young person get a leg up. It’s pretty sick when you think about it. In the past people would have done
Anything to give the youth a leg up.

The question shouldn’t even be why are we paying off debt for students, the question should be whey there is debt in the first place?
Who decided 12th grade was enough? You know in other countries college is no cost or low cost and it seems to work just fine.

They have us squabbling for dry bread crumbs when the true riches are being squandered right in front of our eyes!

Yep. They are amazingly effective at brainwashing, and we choose to be blind to it. My Mother called it about 20 years ago, when she was watching a commercial showing a Mother hiding a treat from her child to eat for herself after she had distracted her child. She said then, that the commercials were teaching people to be selfish. It fell off the cliff after that. Almost every commercial and TV series, was all about me, myself, and I.

I am so glad that I escaped that poison. There is so much pleasure in giving. Especially to those that need it. There is also another benefit to giving that so many miss.

I am an over the top frugal person when it comes to me. My Mother says that I can make a penny scream. But when it comes to others, I want nothing but the best. I love giving, and it wasn’t until I got called out for it, that I realized just how selfish I had been.

I was planning a trip, and as I said, I am extremely frugal when it comes to me. A friend offered to pay for my trip, and of course I told her, no. She went off on me. She reminded me of all the times I had given to her, and now when she wanted to do something nice for me, I was stealing her joy. She told me how selfish I was being by not allowing her to do something nice for me.

I was dumbfounded. She was right. I got so much pleasure out of doing things for others, yet I was stopping them from experiencing the same joy by giving to me. I learned to be a gracious receiver. I also learned that giving is contagious. I receive far more than I give, and the joy I receive when I see the joy in the face of the giver, is also two fold.

There is nothing but sadness and bitterness in selfishness. That is why they condition us to think of self first.

edit on 17-3-2023 by NightSkyeB4Dawn because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 17 2023 @ 12:45 PM
link   
Instead of bailing out colleges that make a ton of money foisting degrees in worthless subjects upon people, we should allow people to discharge student loans via bankruptcy.

It would it lead to a major, major pullback in how much student loan money gets dolled out, but (as the saying goes) that would be a feature, not a bug. Instead, we should be investing in trade schools, where people learn practical skills that actually will help them in life.

posted on Mar, 17 2023 @ 01:03 PM
link   
i've seen a fair few employers quite happy avoiding employing the 22-27 year age range as being far to hard to work with..

therein lies a deep rooted issue as these kids come out of unis unable to work with others unless it is on terms they dictate.

most of us have been those kinds of kids to one degree or other either thinking ourselves as immortal or that tomorrow can be delayed but in the real world it can't be ad these lessons have to be learnt generation after generation..

we see in governments to that get drunk on control, over promising and under delivering..

the rest of us are caught between those 2, the kids though will learn from their mistakes as will the political and media class.. the only question is if both end up burning all the bridges or not..

posted on Mar, 17 2023 @ 01:14 PM
link   

Yeah, they don't do anything to prepare these kids for life in the real world. The schools should be sued by the students for the amount of money owed in my opinion. I wouldn't even dream of sending my kids to any college other than the small local community college here. Too much nonsense and propaganda going on.

posted on Mar, 17 2023 @ 01:18 PM
link   
MY kid is currently in college with student loans and my position is still NO on a bailout. Kid #2 is about to be. Both are pursuing STEM so they will be fine. The one in college ALREADY wrote some AI blockchain software that he is selling for $100K.

And I am against the stupidity in Ukraine as I am familiar with the history there.

And the depositors should get the FDIC insured $250K, no more.

And I'd like all the other "rule bending" to stop as well. Too many examples to list, but you all know what I mean.

posted on Mar, 17 2023 @ 01:19 PM
link   
Will my kids be given a government handout to go to college in about 8-10 years if I agree now to give current college debt holders debt forgiveness? Or is this a one time event?

The banks should not be bailout with out an accompanying punishment for the people who ran them.

posted on Mar, 17 2023 @ 01:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm
a reply to: beyondknowledge2

I don’t think there are worthless degrees. I’ve heard that and we’ve often heard liberal arts degrees or basket weaving.
Someone once said they can find a plumber in 5 minutes but they were searching for months to find a psychiatric help
With their child that wants to change genders. PS before you jump down my throat, there are people that study this to prevent kids from irreversible surgery!

I don't think it's that they're worthless so to speak, but more unprepared than anything else. Nobody wants to hire a college kid to be a psychiatrist, engineer, doctor, etc., because they're not prepared in most cases. I know that when my son was born in 2016, my wife and I found a lady from India in her 40's because I know there's a better chance you come here all the way from India to learn and not play. I know that's not always the case, but I wanted the lower risk of a Pediatrician that didn't play her way through college. Turns out, our son's Pediatrician is married to a heart surgeon also from India who came here for a better life and higher learning.
edit on 17-3-2023 by LSU2018 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join