It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NYT publishes crossword puzzle resembling swastika... on the first day of Hanukkah.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 19 2022 @ 10:58 AM
link   
a reply to: Creep Thumper

Last updated 2019. Hardly the 20th century.

posted on Dec, 19 2022 @ 11:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: Creep Thumper

originally posted by: Wide-Eyes
a reply to: Creep Thumper

BTW, crosswords are generated by computer. 

They aren't.

Crossword setters are paid to set the crosswords.

Perhaps they are computer generated in dedicated crossword books but newspapers hire setters to make their crosswords unique.

It's been that way since the concept of a crossword was even imagined.

Famous crossword setters.

You're stuck in the 20th century. They're set based on computer-generated grids.

“You miss out on all these fleeting moments when you try to create a timeless puzzle,” one crossword constructor, Malaika Handa, 23, said. “It’s a lot more fun to have puzzles that are kind of like a snapshot in time.”

Constructors have found creative ways to make it clear that the crossword could stand to be more diverse. They have Facebook groups dedicated to helping underrepresented constructors, and they chat in Discord servers about new and exciting phrases that could possibly be worked into a grid.

NYT 2021

posted on Dec, 19 2022 @ 11:31 AM
link   
a reply to: network dude

The answer to #67 is the puzzle itself

posted on Dec, 19 2022 @ 12:47 PM
link   
a reply to: strongfp

And as any good editor knows, this is why you still have human eyes on deck.

posted on Dec, 19 2022 @ 12:59 PM
link   
Oh, the hand wringing! Oh, the hurt feelings!

Oh, the LOLZ!

My goodness, people can get all worked up over the stupidist crap.

posted on Dec, 19 2022 @ 01:02 PM
link   
probably just a 'coincidence'

posted on Dec, 19 2022 @ 01:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: network dude

originally posted by: Creep Thumper
a reply to: glen200376

Except I'm not a liberal.

This thing had to go through several levels of scrutiny. Why didn't one of them stop it? Is it a conspiracy?

BTW, crosswords are generated by computer. It's likely a hiccup connected to history rather than an intentional mishap.

Exactly. It must have gone through several approvals, and even though we can all look at it at a glance and say, "wow, that sure looks like a swastika", none of them had that epiphany. Doesn't that seem a little odd?

No, it does not.

It's a radially semmetrical design. Looks like a flower to me.

Of all the wicked stuff going on in the world, this is what gets people's attention?

Can anyone say DISTRACTION?

Congratulations, everyone, for falling for it. You are all useful idiots.

posted on Dec, 19 2022 @ 01:08 PM
link   
a reply to: incoserv

I told my hubs nothing about it. He saw all the way from across the room. He came in from the kitchen, saw it up on my screen, and said, "OMG! Who let that go? I can see it from here."

posted on Dec, 19 2022 @ 01:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: Jeremiah33three
What were they thinking. On Hanukkah posting a symbol used by antisemitic. This can't be an accident, right?

ground.news...

There will always be people who find Jesus in a piece of toast. For the rest of the world, it's rorschach blot test.

But by all means, let's start an uproar because it's a slow day and culture doesn't cancel itself.

edit on 19-12-2022 by TzarChasm because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 19 2022 @ 01:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

I told my hubs nothing about it. He saw all the way from across the room. He came in from the kitchen, saw it up on my screen, and said, "OMG! Who let that go? I can see it from here."

I'm barely seeing it, like its a stretch.

The lines arent connected, they just have opposing diagonal directions.

How about THIS: On any other day of the year (except a Jewish holiday), no one would've said anything about it.

posted on Dec, 19 2022 @ 02:34 PM
link   
Not seeing it either. Looks like a rose flower from the top to me, or something twisting inside.

It's a real big stretch to see a Hakenkreuz here, I guess people want to be offended so they see a Hakenkreuz.

posted on Dec, 19 2022 @ 03:31 PM
link   
a reply to: Jeremiah33three

Well apparently the owners of the NYT are Jewish;

The current chairperson, A.G. Sulzberger, took over from his father, Arthur Ochs Sulzberger Jr., in early 2021

Link

Sulzberger was born in Washington, D.C., on August 5, 1980, to Gail Gregg and Arthur Ochs Sulzberger Jr. He is of German ancestry. His paternal grandfather, Arthur Ochs Sulzberger, was Jewish, and the rest of his family is of Christian background (Episcopalian and Congregationalist).[1]

Wikipedia

Furthermore;

Ever since Adolph Simon Ochs purchased the company in 1896, someone named Ochs or Sulzberger has led the paper. Simon bought a company that was losing money and transformed it into an internationally acclaimed daily.

If there’s something dA r1GhT and Da L3fT have in common it’s the ability to see Nazi’s everywhere, all the time.

posted on Dec, 19 2022 @ 03:38 PM
link   

edit on 19122022 by Wide-Eyes because: F this noise

posted on Dec, 19 2022 @ 03:57 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Aw, c'mon man! Nothing to see here 🙄

posted on Dec, 20 2022 @ 12:32 AM
link   
Well it does form a cross...

posted on Dec, 20 2022 @ 10:45 AM
link   

The only thing that pisses me off about this is people claiming that crossword setters don't exist anymore.

I'm a huge fan of crosswords and the brains that set them so it strikes a nerve with me.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join