It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

British Politics in Turmoil - Time for an Election ?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 17 2022 @ 11:26 AM
link   
Following the emergency statement deliver in the House by new Chancellor Jeremy Hunt this morning Liz Truss was supposed to make a statement in the House this evening , Truss decided she wouldn't make the statement as she had "urgent business" to attend to so Penny Mordaunt deputised for the , Ahem , Prime Minister.

One can only hope the "urgent business" she had was writing her resignation letter.

Gone by the end of the week.

posted on Oct, 17 2022 @ 11:46 AM
link   
At least "urgent business"sound somewhat realistic.

Remember when Boris got spooked and hid inside a fridge?

a reply to: gortex

posted on Oct, 17 2022 @ 02:17 PM
link   
Nigel Farage reacts to Chancellor Jeremy Hunt.

posted on Oct, 17 2022 @ 02:47 PM
link   

It truly beggars belief that Big Bollocks Truss didn't have the courage to face Parliament and the British people and abdicated responsibility.
For all their faults - and we all know they had plenty of them - could you imagine Thatcher or Blair doing that?
At a time when not just the UK but the whole world needs to see strength and leadership she was nowhere to be seen.

Barring a full on escalation with Putin there can be nothing more important and 'urgent' than reassuring the nation.

I can't think of a time in my 57 years where this country has seemed so weak, inept and rudderless.

This has nothing to do with my inherent dislike and distrust for The Tories - or politicians in general for that matter - or my dislike for Truss as a person, its gone way, way beyond that.

If anyone doubted my repeated and boring claims that our political system is broken and no longer fit-for-purpose they really need to have a good think about about the current state of affairs.....all which could have easily been avoided and/or predicted by anyone with even the smallest amount of understanding of politics and economics.

posted on Oct, 17 2022 @ 02:56 PM
link   

What can I say?
I don't agree with quite a bit of what he has to say....but I agree with a hell of a lot of it.
And at least he has the strength of his convictions and he has some sort of vision.

posted on Oct, 17 2022 @ 03:13 PM
link   
I really liked that bit where Hunts said he is going to reverse most of the tax cuts??? Now for all you pedantics the operative word there is MOST , not ALL. So just what are the ones that he's not reversing. It aint the 1p for ordinary people, so what bit is it????

posted on Oct, 17 2022 @ 03:14 PM
link   
a reply to: crayzeed

Good spot.
I myself would be interested to know.

posted on Oct, 17 2022 @ 03:29 PM
link   
a reply to: Freeborn
What gets me is the energy "bit". Give me your thoughts on this.

Why do they need to spend billions on help for the citizens when really the citizens wouldn't need that help if the government forced the energy suppliers to put their prices back to what they were. Please don't mention Russia.

posted on Oct, 17 2022 @ 03:41 PM
link   
a reply to: crayzeed

I assure you I won't mention Russia.....because its irrelevant really where this is concerned.

I can't answer that; its this obsession with profit.
Energy suppliers are literally profiteering and there is nothing to stop our government forcing a cap on energy prices, nothing.

And of course none of this would happen if we still had control of our own energy supplies, hadn't shut all the pits blah blah blah.

As for 'green energy', I'm all for it....where practical.
But I know this will annoy many but w ehave lots of oil, gas and coal available until we can build new, modern, ultra-safe nuclear reactors.

posted on Oct, 18 2022 @ 11:00 AM
link   
After the Parliamentary Conservative party wielded the knife to remove him the majority (63%) of Conservative Party members who responded to the latest yougov poll have said Boris would be a good replacement for Liz Truss ... who they voted to be PM.

If not Johnson then the majority chose Rishi Sunak , the guy they voted against , but I guess at this point Paddington Bear who himself has experienced an up swell in popularity recently would be a better choice than Truss.

Given the choice between Sunak , Rimmer (sorry , Jeremy Hunt) or Starmer I think I'd be happy to see Johnson make the most unlikely of unlikely comebacks ... one for the history books.

posted on Oct, 18 2022 @ 03:36 PM
link   

....I'd be happy to see Johnson make the most unlikely of unlikely comebacks ... one for the history books.

I'm sure if I remember correctly that during the Tory Party leadership campaign we both suggested that this was a possibility.

posted on Oct, 19 2022 @ 10:50 AM
link   
Home Secretary Suella Braverman has left the government so in her first 43 days in office Liz Truss has crashed the economy , sacked her Chancellor and now lost her Home Secretary , breaking records on a daily basis.

No word as to why Braverman has left but it's not hard to guess.

Suella Braverman has departed Liz Truss's government, the Home Office has confirmed.

She was only appointed as home secretary 43 days ago by Ms Truss.

It follows the sacking of chancellor Kwasi Kwarteng last Friday and the axing of the majority of the government's mini-budget on Monday by new Chancellor Jeremy Hunt.

Ms Braverman was seen entering Number 10 at around 1pm this afternoon, leaving around half an hour later
news.sky.com...

Two wheels on her wagon and she's still limping along.

posted on Oct, 19 2022 @ 11:56 AM
link   

Yep, apparently over a security issue using private email to send government document to a MP. Here is her resignation letter...

Twitter source

The third paragraph is the killer blow to Truss and what makes me think she set herself up to have an excuse to leave the sinking ship.

posted on Oct, 19 2022 @ 12:20 PM
link   
a reply to: Encia22

Beggars belief.

Politics is a dirty game.
She does 'the honourable thing' and is seen as a politician with standards and her 'integrity' intact etc.
She issues a withering attack on an already under pressure Truss.
The Tory Party and government are even further undermined.

A shrewd move.
We haven't seen the last of Suella Braverman.

posted on Oct, 19 2022 @ 12:20 PM
link   
a reply to: Encia22

It's a strong resignation letter isn't it , talk about kicking someone when they're down !

I think Truss is hanging on because that's her instinct but at some point she will have to realize the game is up ... perhaps in the same way as Johnson did.

posted on Oct, 19 2022 @ 12:26 PM
link   

I think Truss is hanging on because The Tories haven't figured out how to replace her and with who whilst maintaining even a modicum of legitimacy and integrity.

posted on Oct, 19 2022 @ 12:40 PM
link   

The woman is mentally ill or at least not normal, so she needs to go pronto and even most Tory's can see that.

She was laughing as she sacked the veteran's minister.
www.mirror.co.uk...

She was smirking during part of the Queen's funeral, and she acts wooden and like a robot and refuses to answer and avoids questions.

There is just too much obviously wrong with her.

Unlike Boris she has no chance of getting a prime minister's pension, he only hung on during the scandal over party gate as long as he did in order to obtain his pension, I think it is about half a mil a year or so.

edit on 19-10-2022 by LABTECH767 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 19 2022 @ 12:54 PM
link   
Oh dear.

"I'm a fighter not a quitter"
Seem to remember Iain Duncan Smith said that before quitting.

posted on Oct, 19 2022 @ 01:14 PM
link   

Its embarrassing isn't it.

Do you think they ever sit down and watch videos of themselves and think 'What an arse I acted like'?
You could almost see Jeremy 'Rimmer' Hunt pulling the strings behind her.

Its farcical.
They have no credibility, at all.

Johnson must literally be pissing himself laughing sat on those backbenches.
I don't want to even imagine what Rishi must be doing to himself over all this!

I wonder if the dynamic duo will reconcile and come to the rescue?
Some see it as their only credible solution....I doubt the electorate would see it that way if they have a chance to cast their opinion.

posted on Oct, 19 2022 @ 01:29 PM
link   

Farcical seems the best word for it , according to reports letters have been sent in to the 1922 committee so it looks like it will be Graham Brady who gets to wields the knife again , I just hope it doesn't continue on for too long.

Hopefully gone at the end of the week.

edit on 19-10-2022 by gortex because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join