It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

England braces for 40C temperatures as experts warn thousands could die

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 18 2022 @ 03:14 PM
link   
a reply to: putnam6

Temp 41C (converted to American is 148F, with the windchill)

BRITISH PERSON: I say, it appears to be a bit warm, eh what!

posted on Jul, 18 2022 @ 03:15 PM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

Indeed. Bloody weather.

posted on Jul, 18 2022 @ 03:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: Oldcarpy2

Indeed. Bloody weather.

Temp increases to 42C

BRITSH PERSON: I say, I may loosen my tie if it gets any warmer.

CROWD: *Gasps in horror. *

posted on Jul, 18 2022 @ 03:23 PM
link   

Steady on, now, old chap. Have to maintain standards, don't you know? Harrumph.

posted on Jul, 18 2022 @ 03:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

Indeed. Bloody weather.

Temp increases to 42C

BRITSH PERSON: I say, I may loosen my tie if it gets any warmer.

CROWD: *Gasps in horror. *

These temperatures are clearly not normal. Having said that: It's a touch above board and probably not the best regarding decent liveable requirements.

posted on Jul, 18 2022 @ 03:27 PM
link   
a reply to: MeatHookReality

It didn't work, then.

posted on Jul, 18 2022 @ 03:31 PM
link   

When all this heat melts the traditional frosty British demeanor how much will sea levels raise? Asking for a punter who lives in East London.

posted on Jul, 18 2022 @ 03:36 PM
link   

Indeed. Bloody weather.

i know, it's not cricket but

stiff upper lip and all that.

edit on 03/22/2022 by sarahvital because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 18 2022 @ 03:39 PM
link   
a reply to: sarahvital

You know climate change is real when Glastonbury isn't a rain sodden sea of mud anymore.

posted on Jul, 18 2022 @ 03:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: KindraLabelle2
I have yet to see one window unit in my part of Europe

The same in Portugal, I have never seen one of those.

most people here have a mobile air-conditioner, around 3000 BTU (maybe 4000 on an expensive model) prices for these start at around 300€ up to 1000.

I bought one of those last week, but it's 11000 BTU and it cost 300€.

The problem with these mobile versions is that you still need a way to let the hot air go outside, with a tube or pipe, and most houses don't have an option to do that, unless you hang it out the window, which would defeat the purpose completely.

It comes with an extensible tube and a kind of slide-ruler where one of the ends of the tube is connected. The "slide-ruler" is then put on one window. As most houses in Portugal today have sliding windows it's easy to fit.

See this example.

But as the poster above said, most houses here are isolated well enough to keep the heat (and cold) out. 40-50cm brick, isolated walls and blinds on the outside of the windows + roof isolation and double or triple glass in the windows.

it's 17.30 am here, still 33C outside and 22C inside (without fan or airco)... that's pretty good for a house that was build 30 years ago

Even houses without any insolation do not get hot on the first day, they take 3 or 4 days to absorb the heat. Then, when it gets colder outside it takes even longer to get cooler inside.

posted on Jul, 18 2022 @ 03:48 PM
link   
Absolutely no idea what all the fuss is about with the temperatures yet, as most British these days work in namby pamby pen pushing office environments then it's no wonder they can't hack a little heat .....................

"Miners have traditionally worked in high temperatures "It gets hotter as you get nearer the face, and can reach 38C. Because it's so hot and humid I dress in shorts and T-shirt, and carry a gallon of water and a flask of tea. You also have to have your safety equipment – helmet, boots and belt with a light" www.theguardian.com...

Sure most of our pits are gone and the lads are now working as UPS delivery drivers, yet we have workers still struggling with high temperatures in many industries. Blokes working the tiles works, pot banks and brick works which are found in most British towns and cities don't moan a single thing when they go and do a shift to pay the bills.

MSM typical nonsense while plenty of blokes and lassies will be doing the hot stuff come this December in their shorts and sweat

posted on Jul, 18 2022 @ 03:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

When all this heat melts the traditional frosty British demeanor how much will sea levels raise? Asking for a punter who lives in East London.

It'll be a sticky wicket, a right bloody bother.

Downtown Abbey might flood.

posted on Jul, 18 2022 @ 03:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: ArMaP
With surface temperature we can see that the temperature of our skin is lower than the 36.5 ºC.
I don't remember what that temperature is, if I remember I'll see it on Monday.

A couple of hours ago my temperature, when read as body temperature, was 36.5 ºC. When read as surface temperature (real temperature) it was 32.9º C.

posted on Jul, 18 2022 @ 04:05 PM
link   
a reply to: Kenzo

Sounds nasty.

I don't think I ever saw AC in a British home. Granted this was years ago.
Shops sure.

posted on Jul, 18 2022 @ 04:08 PM
link   

I'm working from home. Had a video link virtual hearing in the Magistrate's Court today. I had my jacket off. Didn't even need to ask permission.

As can only see my upper half on camera, wore shorts, too.

Nuff said.

posted on Jul, 18 2022 @ 04:12 PM
link   
Scotland has more fresh drinkable water in one loch than the whole of England...Just saying.

edit on 18-7-2022 by Soloprotocol because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 18 2022 @ 04:13 PM
link   
a reply to: ufoorbhunter

The problem is that our bodies have a limit, above that they cannot dissipate the heat and suffer the consequences.

That's what happens in those cases of children left inside cars that are getting direct Sun light, their bodies cannot dissipate their own heat and the organs start to fail.

posted on Jul, 18 2022 @ 04:14 PM
link   

Downton, too, perhaps.

posted on Jul, 18 2022 @ 04:15 PM
link   
a reply to: Soloprotocol

Yes, but Nessie wees and poos in it.

posted on Jul, 18 2022 @ 04:30 PM
link   

a reply to: Soloprotocol

Yes, but Nessie wees and poos in it.

And for that reason, we'll sell you it cheap.

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9 >>

join