It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

England braces for 40C temperatures as experts warn thousands could die

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 16 2022 @ 06:17 PM
link   
a reply to: anonentity

We used to wet down the backs of our t-shirts at night and run a fan on oscillate so it would hit the wet. That worked tolerably well to get us off to sleep when we were in situations without air and it was blisteringly hot.

posted on Jul, 16 2022 @ 06:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

We used to wet down the backs of our t-shirts at night and run a fan on oscillate so it would hit the wet. That worked tolerably well to get us off to sleep when we were in situations without air and it was blisteringly hot.

We did that when we were kids too. We kids were all on the second floor, no air con. So we would get our sleep shirts soaking wet and turn on the window fan. It did make a difference, and we were able to get decent sleep.

posted on Jul, 16 2022 @ 06:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: Direne
a reply to: ArMaP

According to the specs, your body was designed to work pretty much right at 37 ºC as you were equipped with a mechanism providing a constant balance between heat loss and heat gain. It seems you need to ingest water to counter the loss through sweating.

That's the problem, with higher ambient temperature, the system doesn't work as optimum efficiency.

No need to panic, yet.

No panic from me, although the temperatures do not reach above 40º C that frequently, they usually come close every Summer, some better, some worse. I have lived through higher temperatures than this week.

However, it is true you require a room temperature around 22 ºC to sleep properly and get to dream (which is essential to you... and us). In case you cannot get that temperature during your sleep period, we can provide you with chems. I'll see what we can do.

Chems? No thanks, I already use too much of those for my health problems.

posted on Jul, 16 2022 @ 06:53 PM
link   

I have done similar things in previous occasions. This time I only put a wet towel over my shoulders and pointed the fan to my back.

edit on 17/7/2022 by ArMaP because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 16 2022 @ 08:23 PM
link   
Just remember that water alone isn't enough. Make sure you're getting your electrolytes. I have to be careful as much as I work out that I don't lost too much salt or I get leg cramps something awful these days. I'm not dehydrated, but I'm short of electrolytes.

posted on Jul, 16 2022 @ 09:06 PM
link   
a reply to: bastion

Lets not forget the same MSM that run scare stories return of more C19 variants.

posted on Jul, 16 2022 @ 09:11 PM
link   
Here in B.C. we had around 700 deaths last summer, we had 40' and hotter, one place hit 49'

posted on Jul, 16 2022 @ 09:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: vNex92
a reply to: bastion

Lets not forget the same MSM that run scare stories return of more C19 variants.

Ya, the msm has sweet f all to do with the temperature. We had lots die last summer..not everything is a f'ing conspiracy

posted on Jul, 16 2022 @ 09:53 PM
link   
Guess I posted it in another thread on accident.

But that really does sound like poor planning. Those temperatures aren't unheard of in Tennessee during summer or many places I've been too.

Adapt and survive.

posted on Jul, 16 2022 @ 10:21 PM
link   
a reply to: AutomateThis1v2

It's like Texas during the deep freeze though. If you almost never have temps like that, but your climate is always crappy cold, you tend to build against the cold more than the heat. Texas was the other way. They almost never get that kind of cold, so they were built to dissipate heat rapidly, not insulate it and hold it in.

posted on Jul, 16 2022 @ 11:01 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

I remember being in Coober Pedy, and the guy at the garage said it was fifty-two the day before and he had to keep ducking inside to use the air con to cool down.It was forty that day, so he was ok. but i just soaked a thick winter shirt in a bucket of water and it would need doing again in about half an hour. But that kept me comfortable.

posted on Jul, 16 2022 @ 11:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
a reply to: AutomateThis1v2

It's like Texas during the deep freeze though. If you almost never have temps like that, but your climate is always crappy cold, you tend to build against the cold more than the heat. Texas was the other way. They almost never get that kind of cold, so they were built to dissipate heat rapidly, not insulate it and hold it in.

Fair point, but it never hurts to be prepared.

It's like trying to find a generator to buy after a disaster. Or trying to start a garden after SHTF in the middle of winter.

Especially with more and more people seemingly more concerned about global warming. If a person believes it's haooening at an increased rate and life as we know it could change within our lifetimes, why not prepare?

posted on Jul, 17 2022 @ 01:32 AM
link   
Maybe the graphics of the heatwave maps are made to instal fear ? Remember the covid infections maps where this same inferno colour was used to make it look like end of the World is coming and you all will DIE!!

@JamesMelville

posted on Jul, 17 2022 @ 03:11 AM
link   
Now in Zelenograd heavy rain has turned into a small hail.

Pea-sized ice hails.

Temperature 20 degrees Celsius (68 Fahrenheit).

11:11

posted on Jul, 17 2022 @ 03:27 AM
link   
The traditional media response to hot weather was to send out a reporter to try frying an egg on the pavement (that's "sidewalk").

posted on Jul, 17 2022 @ 05:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: Kenzo

Maybe the graphics of the heatwave maps are made to instal fear ? Remember the covid infections maps where this same inferno colour was used to make it look like end of the World is coming and you all will DIE!!

@JamesMelville

That map is really interesting....
We are seeing that here as well,
bright flashing warnings, red hot maps, the media yelling 'stay out of the sun!'

I cannot believe I fell for that.... again!

but then again, this is why I love ATS,
thanks for posting that

posted on Jul, 17 2022 @ 06:48 AM
link   
a reply to: KindraLabelle2

That's why I prefer the original sources (in this case that would be the Met Office) instead of the media.

Another thing about heat waves is that, usually, they also come with higher UV levels.

posted on Jul, 17 2022 @ 06:57 AM
link   
a reply to: vonclod

In Spain they are also used to high temperatures, but yesterday a 60 years old worker from the Madrid cleaning services died of heat stroke he got on Friday afternoon, so the Madrid cleaning services now allow the workers that have the 14:00 to 21:00 shift to change it voluntarily to 17:00 to 24:00.

Sometimes it's just not the heat wave, it's other circumstances that make us reach (and pass) the limit, so it's better to be prepared.

posted on Jul, 17 2022 @ 07:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: ArMaP
a reply to: vonclod

In Spain they are also used to high temperatures, but yesterday a 60 years old worker from the Madrid cleaning services died of heat stroke he got on Friday afternoon, so the Madrid cleaning services now allow the workers that have the 14:00 to 21:00 shift to change it voluntarily to 17:00 to 24:00.

Sometimes it's just not the heat wave, it's other circumstances that make us reach (and pass) the limit, so it's better to be prepared.

media here said yesterday that at least 360 people in Spain and Portugal already died from heat strokes?

posted on Jul, 17 2022 @ 07:13 AM
link   
a reply to: KindraLabelle2

In Portugal, from July 7 to July 13, we had an excess mortality of 238 deaths that were considered a result of the heat wave (they found no other reason for those deaths).

The biggest problem with the heat wave we just had in Portugal was the not the high temperatures during the day (reaching almost 40º C where I live), but the high temperatures during the night (28º C was the highest I saw where I live) that do not allow the houses to cool off or the people to recover from the excess heat from the day.

Another thing I notice is that, personally, heat makes us feel more tired and prevents us from having a good sleep, so we get much more tired than usual in just a couple of days. On Friday, while at work, I had to go to another room to lower my temperature before I go back to my room full of computers.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join