It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I know when society changed

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 7 2022 @ 10:21 PM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

Only Americans speak the English language like Americans.

In every other country of the world, the OP is inapplicable.

Plus, the English language changes all the time. The following is English, from Chaucer's Canterbury Tales:

"Whan zephirus eek with his sweete breeth
Inspired hath in every holt and heeth
Tendre croppes, and the yonge sonne
Hath in the ram his halve cours yronne,
And smale foweles maken melodye,
That slepen al the nyght with open ye
(so priketh hem nature in hir corages);
Thanne longen folk to goon on pilgrimages,
And palmeres for to seken straunge strondes,
To ferne halwes, kowthe in sondry londes;
And specially from every shires ende
Of engelond to caunterbury they wende,
The hooly blisful martir for to seke,
That hem hath holpen whan that they were seeke."

edit on 7/6/2022 by chr0naut because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 7 2022 @ 10:27 PM
link   
a reply to: HilterDayon

and the ancient mariners called it
the Great South Land of the HOLY SPIRIT
why
the great southern crux standing over the island in the night sky
was taught that at school way back in the 1950's.
but history has been largely rewritten to fit the modern agenda.
and i am willing to bet that the jap soldiers that landed on the north
western coast and could not break through the swamps and mangroves, much like the
mariners from holland and portugal before them thought
what a mongrel bloody place, full of snakes and crocs. lol

watch the above comment get torn down by the anti GOD mob

edit on 7-6-2022 by pronto because: yep spelling

posted on Jun, 7 2022 @ 10:27 PM
link   
For me it changed when all the gays couldn’t just keep doing there thing, they had to stand on the roof tops shouting it and ramming down our throats…..
They took my rainbows,
They took my horses with horns
They have claimed lisp’s
The majority are left,
That’s when SHTF..
Now people become easily offended, it’s okay to be offended….

NOTHING HAPPENS !!!

FOR ME………
edit on 7-6-2022 by Scubalicious because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 7 2022 @ 10:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: Scubalicious
For me it changed when all the gays couldn’t just keep doing there thing, they had to stand on the roof tops shouting it and ramming down our throats…..
They took my rainbows,
They have claimed lisp’s
The majority are left,
That’s when SHTF..

FOR ME………

well said young fellow. have a beer or 3

posted on Jun, 7 2022 @ 10:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: nugget1

originally posted by: BrokenCircles
a reply to: putnam6

Or stopping to help complete strangers broke down on the side of the road. I'm sure it still happens, but not as often as it used to. People don't even want help anymore. They'll just sit in the vehicle and call someone to come help. (which may be a long drive)

Trust is gone in much of society, and accepting help from a stranger can be risky. Some of the most harmless-seeming people can be the most dangerous; they don't all look like evil killers.

It's not good to live life afraid of everyone though. People frequently get killed by someone they know. (or someone they thought they knew)

posted on Jun, 7 2022 @ 10:45 PM
link   

For most of us that are old enough we remember Uranus being called YourAnus. Every single kid made a joke about it. That’s just what it was called.

my favorite Uranus joke was, don't take offense.

Hey Jag have you told cap'n kirk about them klingons hanging around your anus.

posted on Jun, 7 2022 @ 10:50 PM
link   
IMHO, society changed on November 22, 1963.
Americans lost their innocence that day.

The globalists managed a coup d'etat in broad daylight.

Looking back, a lot of changes started snowballing; some connected, some not, some we'll never know.
Vatican 2. The Viet Nam War. The Sexual Revolution. Civil Rights. The "Great" Society.

posted on Jun, 7 2022 @ 11:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: nugget1

a reply to: putnam6

Or stopping to help complete strangers broke down on the side of the road. I'm sure it still happens, but not as often as it used to. People don't even want help anymore. They'll just sit in the vehicle and call someone to come help. (which may be a long drive)

Trust is gone in much of society, and accepting help from a stranger can be risky. Some of the most harmless-seeming people can be the most dangerous; they don't all look like evil killers.

It's not good to live life afraid of everyone though. People frequently get killed by someone they know. (or someone they thought they knew)

No, it sure isn't- but when you've had a couple of close calls at the hands of strangers, trust is really hard to get back. At least, I never did. That doesn't mean I live in fear; just super-vigilant......and prepared. I have no desire to trust perfect strangers.

There have been rare exceptions, but not many.

posted on Jun, 8 2022 @ 02:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: DontTreadOnMe
IMHO, society changed on November 22, 1963.
Americans lost their innocence that day.

The globalists managed a coup d'etat in broad daylight.

Looking back, a lot of changes started snowballing; some connected, some not, some we'll never know.
Vatican 2. The Viet Nam War. The Sexual Revolution. Civil Rights. The "Great" Society.

bloke i remember that day, very well
what a loss.
i also remember the day the australian
prime minister was supposed to have drowned.
the bloke could swim like a bloody fish

posted on Jun, 8 2022 @ 03:29 AM
link   

I don't think i've ever had microwave macaroni and I can't believe people are surviving off of it.

I know! Haven't they heard of Ramen noodles?

Above was a beloved standby in university. Dirt cheap and could be easily dressed up with other ingredients.

Cheers

posted on Jun, 8 2022 @ 03:48 AM
link   
a reply to: DontTreadOnMe

Spot on, DTOM.

That day and 9-11 are the two most significant days in postwar US history.

Cheers

posted on Jun, 8 2022 @ 07:22 AM
link   
I'd say society started going downhill with the invention of the wheel.

Well, that and the "domestication" of fire.

And, by the way, F you Prometheus!!

posted on Jun, 8 2022 @ 08:30 AM
link   
What about Washington..Wash-ing-ton..when did it become Washin-un? The "t" is silent? Who knew, I did not know that was a rule of the English language. So Washin-un crossed the Delaware?

posted on Jun, 8 2022 @ 08:42 AM
link   

I can think of two things that have been at the very heart of the change in society, and they sort of tie in to your OP.

The first is the Internet. Not the Internet specifically, but the change in how we communicate. The normal way to communicate when I was growing up was to talk with someone, to their face, eyes locked together. That required people to actually visit each other and be within arm's reach of each other. One learned very quickly that such communication demanded a certain level of respect, required because a lack of respect could end in an unexpected collision between one's jaw and someone's fist.

The alternative was the telephone, the bulky box that sat in the living room and which one had to stand near and talk into a handset connected by *gasp* wires! But even then, long distance was too expensive for most people to use, so anyone you talked to on the phone was just a short drive away.

Then came the Internet. Suddenly we could talk using text. And we could do so across vast distances! One participant could be in New York City; another in Paris, France; another in Beijing; another in India. As long as we shared a language, we could communicate. But there was no way we would ever come face-to-face with the others... the distance was too great. So there was no reason to give that modicum of respect, since one's arm was not long enough to reach the other and one didn't even now which direction in which to point it.

The Internet introduced us to a global community. It brought the whole world together, and in the process isolated us from each other. Worse, it threw us all together without any comprehension of the fact that we might not all think alike. We all come from different cultures, with different customs, different strengths and weaknesses, and different ideals.

It is said that communication is 90% non-verbal, and verbal communication is 90% non-lingual. Facial expression, body language, a sly smile when making a joke, a wink, the look in one's eyes... that is where communication mainly resides. No one reading this can see my face, much less my stance, so 99% of the information we used to use to communicate is lost. With only 1% of the information available, and with the human ability to make some pretty funny typos, it is so easy to misinterpret what someone is saying.

And that leads to offense. The reader can insert whatever motive and insinuation they choose, and those things can completely change what is being said. Take the phrase "Bless yore heart!" Yeah, it can be used as the ultimate insult around here, but it is also widely used to indicate sympathy, especially over something that one cannot change. It's used a lot when someone is slow mentally... "Joe just keeps getting himself in trouble. Poor guy, bless his heart." That means that Joe just can't help himself stay out of trouble, and it implies sympathy for him. "You just don't get it, do you? Well, bless yore heart!" That indicates that someone is too stupid to understand what is being said, so it implies (an insulting type) of sympathy (for their obvious mental disability).

The main difference is not in the words used, but in the tone and inclination of the voice... and the context, which is cultural. So how is someone to know if it is being said as actual sympathy or the insulting type of sympathy used to indicate mental deficiency? Especially when the cultural reference isn't there, that determination can be quite hard to make.

So we have a lack of respect due to physical separation, combined with confusion over cultural references, all leading to offense at the smallest perceived slight. No one can effectively communicate like that.

The second thing is the loss of school prayer, and that itself has two components. Firstly, it emphasizes a lack of respect... OK, so so-and-so doesn't believe like I do. Do I take offense and make it my goal in life to "convert" them, or do I just bow my head silently and give them the respect they deserve? It used to be the latter; now it is the former. Another poster mentioned a "poor Jew" who had to endure Christmas... poor guy! Being forced to show simple human respect like that! Oh the humanity!

It doesn't have to be about dogma. It's just a simple show of respect. If I were to visit a Jewish person during Hanukkah, I wouldn't expect them to blow out their candles!

But moreso it is about nothing in life being absolute. History is an absolute; things that happened in the past happened in the past as they happened in the past and there's nothing anyone can do to change that. But we try, by changing the way history is taught so that people will interpret the effects the way we want them to. Math is an absolute; 2+2 will always equal four. But we try to ignore that absolute as well, because getting the wrong answer might offend little Johnny.

In short, nothing is absolute any more. Everything is now subjective, and anyone who tries to think in absolutes is somehow an evil person. There are 34,286 different genders, math is what one wishes it to be, history happened the way one wants it to have happened, and everything is subject to re-interpretation and re-definition. Vaccines don't have to keep one from getting sick with a disease; children can make life-changing decisions at age 2 without consequences; religion can be whatever one wants it to be; abortions do not really kill anything; guns are inherently evil and criminals obey the law; the list goes on and on... and almost all of the arguments for the "official" agenda are based in a belief that nothing is absolute... there is no truth except that "truth" we want to exist at that specific time and in that specific instance.

Yeah, Uranus [your-ain'-us), tinnitus (tin-i'-tus), Neanderthal (neeee-an'-der-thal), even potato (tay'-ter) and tomato (may'-ter) have all changed... but it wasn't to be correct. It was to be flexible. There are no absolutes anymore... say it as you want and that becomes the correct pronunciation.

Except for one: aluminum (a-lum'-i-num). It is NOT "al-u-min'-ee-um" dammit! It ends in "num", not "nium"!

TheRedneck

edit on 6/8/2022 by TheRedneck because: typos

posted on Jun, 8 2022 @ 08:52 AM
link   
a reply to: whatnext21

Actually, it is pronounced "warsh'-in-ton crossed thu del'-uh-wear."

Some time back I read a study on where that hidden 'r' comes from. It seems there's a upper air vacuum over Boston that sucks the 'r's out of "cah" and "bah". Those 'r's get trapped in the upper atmosphere where they follow the prevailing wind patterns and finally come down over the south in the word "warsh."

TheRedneck

posted on Jun, 8 2022 @ 09:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: Scubalicious
They took my rainbows,
They have claimed lisp’s
The majority are left,
That’s when SHTF..
Now people become easily offended, it’s okay to be offended….

NOTHING HAPPENS !!!

FOR ME………

My family and I just discussed this. There was a young man that just graduated from college. He wanted to give a speech about being gay but the school said they would pull the sound. He instead gave a speech about curly hair with innuendo about being gay. I asked my kids (adult kids) who cares what he is? Would a straight person give a speech on being straight? If you want to be treated like everyone else at some point you will also have to act in that manner.

posted on Jun, 8 2022 @ 09:22 AM
link   
a reply to: TheRedneck

Except for one: aluminum (a-lum'-i-num). It is NOT "al-u-min'-ee-um" dammit! It ends in "num", not "nium"!

I love listening to British people and all their wonderful accents, but like you I draw the line at aluminum.
They way the sound is like an evil villain ready to wrap my produce! Lol

posted on Jun, 8 2022 @ 09:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm
a reply to: JinMI

From its inception to current we have never been so close yet so far apart as a species.

I so agree with this.

A little while ago one of my daughters had her friends over (teenagers).
My kid is an advid crocheter. Her friends were so interested and the both of us showed the friends how to crochet.
There wasn't a phone in sight. All the girls were paying attention like you wouldn't believe. They were obsessed. It made me incredibly sad.

Our youth longs for this kind of interaction but it is non existant. The other sad sad sad sad thing. None of them wanted me to make food or make it for themselves, they wanted microwave macaroni because that is what they are used to eating at home.........I don't think i've ever had microwave macaroni and I can't believe people are surviving off of it.

Make dinner from scratch? take a few hours to learn a hobby?

Hell, most kids don't have the attention span to learn to drive a stick or make a simple cup of coffee or biscuits.

The weird thing is you can find answers and how-tos on anything on the internet, but unless you got the basic skills confidence, and wherewithal, it seems most would rather watch the Johhny Depp/Amber Heard trial and boof all the new strains and distillate of legal marijuana.

Basic cooking skills are a lost art, cleaning clothes properly, basic sewing skills, and basic house, home, and auto maintenance. So instead of having those basic skills and having them be second nature and things you dID without thinking, nowadays quite a few get spooked, frantic, and stressed over the simplest things.

Microwaved Macaroni and Cheese and homemade mac and cheese could easily be a metaphor for the past and today's society. In the past, we took the time to prepare and plan to get the best ingredients and the end result was excellent and extremely satisfying.

Now in our microwaved mac and cheese world? We get rushed into chemical-filled cheese powder with bland dull flavors and zero sustenance beyond the cheesy carb sugar rush.

edit on 8-6-2022 by putnam6 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 8 2022 @ 09:46 AM
link   
a reply to: TheRedneck

But that just depends on where you're at. I think they do spell it as "nium" in Europe.

I've wondered about this before, but never bothered looking it up til now. Apparently, the guy who named it, changed the name a couple times. One of the first names he used was 'Alumium'. He later added the 'N', and made it 'Aluminum', but some people still felt it should end with 'ium', even after the 'N' was added.

So now, in America and Canada, it is known as 'Aluminum', with all other English-speaking countries going with 'Aluminium'. At least that's what Merriam-Webster says.
edit on 6/8/22 by BrokenCircles because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 8 2022 @ 09:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: putnam6

Hell, most kids don't have the attention span to learn to drive a stick...

Most kids wouldn't even know what you're talking about if all you say is "drive a stick". Many might even think you're talking about Harry Potter flying around on his broom.

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join