It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I know when society changed

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 8 2022 @ 09:55 AM
link   
we live in a godless country now and its become Sodom & Gomorrah. Im waiting for the flood to come and clean away all the scum from the streets. the second coming. wear the full armor of Christ & be Gods hammer. Amen.
a reply to: Nickn3

posted on Jun, 8 2022 @ 09:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: BrokenCircles

originally posted by: putnam6

Hell, most kids don't have the attention span to learn to drive a stick...

Most kids wouldn't even know what you're talking about if all you say is "drive a stick". Many might even think you're talking about Harry Potter flying around on his broom.

I just LOL at that.

My son only drives a stick and once had to have his car towed. He was offered a job on the spot because they can’t find enough people that know how to drive a stick!

posted on Jun, 8 2022 @ 09:59 AM
link   
a reply to: 20Eyes1974

we live in a godless country now and its become Sodom & Gomorrah. Im waiting for the flood to come and clean away all the scum from the streets. the second coming. wear the full armor of Christ & be Gods hammer. Amen.

Don't hold your breath. You're going to be waiting a very long time.

edit on 6/8/22 by BrokenCircles because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 8 2022 @ 01:23 PM
link   
NO!
when I was at school 47 years ago it was Uranus.
Only kids called it YourAnus!

OH! wait I forgot I am speaking to Yanks.
They can not speak the English language!
can not spell to. like colour is NOT color.

edit on 8-6-2022 by buddha because: aliens

posted on Jun, 8 2022 @ 03:02 PM
link   
a reply to: BrokenCircles

I think they do spell it as "nium" in Europe.

So people in Europe can't spell?

OK, I can accept that.

TheRedneck

posted on Jun, 8 2022 @ 03:11 PM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

All you people complaining can't even pronounce Worcestersire correctly.

It's wrorsh-ish-sire!

Pretty sure I'm right. If not, you're a racist bigot and are making fun of me because I have a GED...

It's good stuff though.

posted on Jun, 8 2022 @ 03:13 PM
link   
a reply to: TheRedneck

No, they cannout spell properly. Take for instance '"colour"...

posted on Jun, 8 2022 @ 03:21 PM
link   
a reply to: KawRider9

The worst I've heard is "wart-tits-shower"...

Don't know what that is, but I'm not here to judge...

posted on Jun, 8 2022 @ 03:28 PM
link   
Society, culture, science, politics, economics--- All changed drastically as the BabyBoomers brought WoodStock Nation and Helter-Skelter to the surface of the New Bizzarro world Paradigm ....

One in which everyone was afforded their own 15 minutes-of-fame

posted on Jun, 8 2022 @ 03:44 PM
link   
It started when Obama made Associated Press update their thesaurus and Webster update their dictionary in 2009. Look it up.

posted on Jun, 8 2022 @ 06:30 PM
link   
a reply to: buddha

NO!
when I was at school 47 years ago it was Uranus.
Only kids called it YourAnus!

I don't know about you but when I went to school I was a kid

posted on Jun, 8 2022 @ 06:36 PM
link   
a reply to: KawRider9

All you people complaining can't even pronounce Worcestersire correctly.

I can pronounce it just fine: Yankee sauce.

TheRedneck

posted on Jun, 9 2022 @ 07:16 PM
link   

There have been different points where society went through a big change.
While there are big changes, subtle changes happen too.

Really? Wow, I never would've thought of that. So you are saying, historically speaking, both BIG and SMALL changes have happened? Oh, wait. You are using the wrong antonym for some reason, like switching horses mid-stream. Why are you changing 'SMALL' to 'SUBTLE'? They are not synonyms.

That's the problem of antonyms - sometimes a word doesn't really have a complete, and proper one, since a specific meaning's opposite can be very unspecific sometimes. 'Subtle' is a good example, as 'BIG' is definitely not its full antonym (if at all), but other words are problematic, too, as they don't convey the full meaning of 'not-so-subtle', but how about 'obvious', 'crass', 'inexact' (a lazy antonym of 'exact', just put 'in' in front..), 'rough'?

In any case, BIG change can still be a subtle change, so your train of thought is trying to run on two separate tracks simultaneously and can only CRASH as the result.

Small changes are also not necessarily subtle at all. Are you talking about big and small changes, worldwide stuff vs. 'personal' stuff, or what?

In any case, don't you think typing something like this is like typing 'there have been variations in history'? I mean, we're supposed to be able to have deeper conversations here, without having to state the obvious. Yes, history has had all kinds of changes, big, small, subtle and coarse. So what?

I am of the belief that words have power.

Ah. This explains a lot. First of all, belief is one of the most dangerous and useless things people on this planet have been conditioned to adopt as their 'method of processing information' for some reason. This bypasses rational processing, it bypasses criticism and counterpoints, and rushes straight into your emotional manipulation your heart is already full of.

I would advice to stop practicing this dangerous and self-defeating behaviour that only renders you easier to hypnotise, condition, brainwash and indoctrinate - suggestion come from all directions, you can't just 'believe' things. Process them at least, first.

I have often stated that I don't believe. It's not that I don't "believe in anything", which has a slightly different connotation than its literal meaning would be. It's more that I just don't believe, not "in" anything or "out" anything (english is so weird) - I don't believe tales, stories, anecdotes, even facts. I don't believe feelings or emotions, I don't believe any authority, and so on.

There's no need to belief, when there are better alternatives; from faith to research, from intuitive insight to 'leaving something open to study more before making up my mind', and so on. There are ways of knowing things this planet's superficial nihilistic 'science' does not want to admit even exist. There are things like 'faith and trust', if you want to go that route, so 'belief' lands squarely inbetween the cracks of useful and wise things to do. It's a dumb thing to practice, I suggest stop being addicted to this destructive habit.

As far as 'words having power' - oh, no. I can't slap my forehead any harder while groaning and feeling a deep cringy emotion.

Really? You think if you put words on a table, they will create a planet full of life? No?

If you put words on the floor, will they gather massive armies and go to war, and soon the whole building will burn down from explosions and such?

Do you think you can just put a word on a wall and have it cure the sick?

NO??

What kind of 'power' do you think words have? I can tell you they have NO power whatsoever.

After all, words are just advanced animal noises, just waveforms, just utterings. Even if you blast a word very loudly so it creates massive soundwaves, the WORD ITSELF still doesn't have any power, it's the soundwaves - you could replace it with any loud enough utterance, a word or a non-word, or any other sound for that matter, and the soundwaves would still have the same power. So it was never the word.

If someone gets offended by a word, it's not the WORD that has any power, it's the offended entity that has the power to decide what to feel and so on. Maybe even the anger has some kind of power. The word, however, has none - and even if we say it does, it only has it because this entity GIVES it the power. Inherently, words are just lying there, doing nothing, until PEOPLE (that have the actual power) react to their abstract mental construct they decided to make based on their interpretation of certain photon fluctuations or pressure changes some broken-rhythmically moving air has caused in their skull.

There are no words that have any power. Try putting a word in a tiger's cage and see how much power that word has.

Try piling every single word ever invented or written on this planet on some other planet's surface and see how much power words really have.

Bullets have a small amount of power, due to having explosives in them. But even they don't kill - it's the entity that makes the decision to pull the trigger that kills.

The same way, word has no power, it's the people and meaning behind the word that does.

I am aware of the 'water freezing experiments' that tried different words while water was freezing, and if you said a politically-incorrect word, the water would freeze 'all ugly', and if you said a politically-correct word, the water would freeze 'all beautifully'.

However, I don't think these experiments were done in a controlled fashion at all; they should've used some speech synth to construct those words to eliminate the human emotion and bias factor completely. If someone is just saying words, they might FEEL something while saying those words, and THEIR FEELING is what changes the water, not the word itself.

They should've made some kind of process, where the typers of the words don't know the full word, only part of it, and multiple different people would be involved. This way, even the text that's fed to the speech synth would be pure of any emotional bias effect.

If they had done the experiments this way, I am sure all words would've gotten 100% identical rection, the water would've frozen 'identically'. Water can't react to some human invention, like 'putting these utterances in this order creates this meaning'. Water doesn't have the intelligence for that kind of processing.

Water, like everything that exists on the physical plane, CAN react to feelings and emotions, however - after all, they're simple, straightforward impulses all nature recognizes as communication format (this is often called 'instinct' animals have, or lower-level telepathy or spiritual abilities).

In any case, if someone angrily screams 'hateful language' towards you, and you decide to feel hurt by this, it's not really the words that have the power (after all, you are the one with the agency, not inanimate words), but it's the meaning BEHIND the words. The angry entity could've used 52 different ways of screaming the same anger at you, and it would hurt you just as much.

Maybe they could've done it telepathically, I am sure done that way, without any words, would've hurt you even more, as there's no shred of the anger left for interpretation and it's fully expressed instead of trying to find clumsy words to express it.

Words have no power, belief is a bad habit.

posted on Jun, 9 2022 @ 07:26 PM
link   
Someone said 'language is power'.

It's tempting to call ANYTHING 'power', it makes you sound clever, like someone who actually thinks about things and thus knows the Universe.

However, language is a tool, a very clumsy, restrictive tool, capable of many things in skillful hands (when writing/drawing/typing) or mouths, or even ears and imaginations.

Telepathy is a much better tool, but even telepathy has no power, as it IS only a tool, a format for communication, and so on.

You can of course philosophize and say anything has power, from a banana fly in your kitchen to telephone communications network of the eighties, or a coffee stain on your shirt. Sure, fine, philosophize all you want.

But when you start measuring things that have power, how do you measure the 'power of language'?

Language doesn't have any power, it just sits there, if you put it on a table (although you can't really even do that, because unlike words that you can type, print, etc., you can't really print a 'language' and put it on a table - and yes, I am aware that technically speaking, you can't even put words on the table, as even they are abstract until manifested in some way, but the manifested form is not the word in itself, it's just a printed manifestation of it - the word itself exists in human consciousnesses and can't ever be 100% brought from this non-location to the 'real world', to an actual location, but I want to simplify things to make the posts more legible).

Language is like a hammer or a computer keyboard; it has no power, you can put it on the ground, and it does exactly nothing. I know some people have said that the pen is mightier than the sword - but this only describes its capacity AS A TOOL, not its power by itself, without anyone wielding it. A racecar can be faster than a bicycle, but only when activated and driven, not when they're just on the ground without any human interaction.

A pen doesn't do anything unless someone wields it, the same can be said of a sword; it has no power by itself, it can become useful and someone can have power due to the sword helping, but NO TOOL HAS POWER without an user, hence, the USER has the power, not the tool.

Your screwdriver can't suddenly decide to renovate your toilet and start taking out screws from the wall. No matter what you say, that screwdriver isn't going to do ANYTHING if you put it on a table. Therefore, it has NO POWER. You can have power and use the tool to maximise it, but language, like any tool, has no power, only its USER does.

Also, language can be used in a very powerless way, to give away power. Where's the power, then?

Language can also be used in a very animalistic, simplistic way that surely creates no power for anyone.

Language, like pen or a sword, can only seem to have power, never actually have power - it requires a user to be even useful.

Please stop saying everything has power, it's childish and irritating, and not clever.

posted on Jun, 10 2022 @ 09:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: TheRedneck
a reply to: BrokenCircles

I think they do spell it as "nium" in Europe.

So people in Europe can't spell?

OK, I can accept that.

TheRedneck

Remember when we just called it Lea an Perrins or something like that.
Also what happened to Worcestershire sauce? It used to be a big thing now people don’t seem to use it as much.
Same with Gray Poupon (or whatever that mustard was called)

posted on Jun, 10 2022 @ 09:35 AM
link   

Maybe with your accent, but with mine, it's still the regular ordinary pronunciation.

Maybe what your noticing is merely a trend in which accents are preferred on TV in your country.

posted on Jun, 11 2022 @ 01:23 AM
link   
Society changed the most during covid.

Urine cures covid.
Urine. Uranus. The pieces fit

www.forbes.com...

posted on Jun, 11 2022 @ 02:34 AM
link   
SPAM
edit on 6/11/2022 by semperfortis because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 11 2022 @ 04:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm
There have been different points where society went through a big change.
While there are big changes, subtle changes happen too.

I am of the belief that words have power.

For most of us that are old enough we remember Uranus being called YourAnus. Every single kid made a joke about it.
That’s just what it was called.

Somewhere in the early 2000’s it stopped being called that. It was called Urrran-us.
Now today I heard it pronounced yet another way Urahn -uhhsss.

This is not a complicated word, isn’t it weird it has changed in such a short span of time? Wonder why.
I looked up some mythology and there is all kinds of interesting things about Uranus, rain, overthrowing, but this one stands out,
DECEPTION.

It was after 911. The world changed after that.

posted on Jun, 11 2022 @ 06:55 PM
link   
a reply to: TheRedneck

Outstanding post.

Very very well laid out. A tip of my hat to you.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join