It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Who Will Be The Next Pope?

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 15 2005 @ 12:39 PM
link   
I think it will be Arinze. According to some of the prophecies I have read, the next pope will not reign too long. I hope it's not him, because I don't think the world is ready

posted on Apr, 15 2005 @ 03:06 PM
link   
Dionigi Tettamanzi.

posted on Apr, 15 2005 @ 03:47 PM
link   
Frrance's Jean Marie Lustinger gets my vote.

posted on Apr, 16 2005 @ 04:23 AM
link   
Cardinal Arinze. I have a lot of hopes for him. I think he's what the church needs more than anything. As messed up as it may be, the idea of the Catholic church utterly falling apart sort of gives me the chills.

Not sure why, but perhaps it's because there would be a void in which something even more misguided and guilt-ridden might arise?

posted on Apr, 17 2005 @ 10:25 AM
link   
Arinze, I think. I do think the world is ready for an African Pope. Although theologically conservative, he has helpful ties to Islam and to the Third World.
If not Arinze, I'm hoping for a Latin American Pope. It's time for the Church to be headed by someone other than Eurocentric men. Yes, JPII was a Great Pope (most likely a Saint), but times change. the dynamics of the church change, and we must accept those changes. Remember, when JPII was chosen Pope, most of the world was aghast that a Pole was Pope.....the Papacy taken away from the Italians???? Well, just see how well his papacy turned out and I think you can see that thinking outside the box on who should be Pope doesn't have to lead to doom and gloom.

posted on Apr, 17 2005 @ 09:09 PM
link   
If an African pope was elected he wouldn't last to long. Someone would try to kill him and many people will convert to another faith.

posted on Apr, 18 2005 @ 01:41 AM
link   
So far nobody's mentioned the French cardinal with the Basque family name, Roger Etchegaray, who was archbishop of Marseilles for five yrs. & was close to John Paul II, who made him a cardinal.

I know nothing about Church matters, but a while ago there was a report on the radio about the conclave, on the eve of the day when this event will start, & he was singled out for a short biographical note, & someone might have had a good reason for doing this, so I vote for this man who might be the "dark horse".

They also said that 1) "conclave" means "with key" in Latin, in other words, "behind closed doors", 2) it will start at 14:30 GMT (i.e., right after everybody's had lunch in Rome), 3) there will be one voting session on the first day, two on the following day (Tues.), & 4) it will be held in the Sistine chapel.

(posted by Lord Altmis)
On a related note, the original Malachy prophecy indicated 111 Popes not 112. It's believed the Catholic Church or in some form it was altered to show a prolonged and prosperous Catholic Church.

(posted by GoldenGirl)
I thought I heard long time ago that there would be no more Pope after this one? Could it be possible that there would be no next Pope??

(posted by Sarahko)
I thought that an African pope would mark the subsequent arrival of the Antichrist.... and that after John Paul II, there were only going to be 2 more Popes following. An African one and then the Antichrist, and....the end.

(posted by spiritdancer)
According to some of the prophecies I have read, the next pope will not reign too long.

The prophecies based on the official list of popes are all useless since nobody will ever know how many there've been, according to the following source...

"Often during that time [4th Century A.D.], & for some time afterward, the records are rather unreliable. They were doctored. Sometimes the name of one man would be given as a reign covering a span of yrs.

"The original man may have been assassinated, another taking his place, carrying on as if there had been no change as far as the populace was concerned. Poison was the usual method, & even those who suspected the truth would not dare speak out.

"The records would show one reign of one pope, but one, two, or even three different men may have filled the position. A change of policy is the clue in such cases; vacillation."

(Jane Roberts, Seth Speaks, Bantam Books, N.Y., 1978, p. 411)

posted on Apr, 18 2005 @ 02:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ryanp5555Regardless that person CLEARLY doesn't count all the popes.

if you read his prophecy you'd know he only predicts the last 112 popes, not every pope.

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 01:09 AM
link   
My suggestions will close to two names. The reason why I choose them is simple: the pope must come from the biggest catholic group of countries and that is Latin America, must be reformist, must be energetic enough to eradicate the sin within the ranks, must be young enough for that, and must be DEVOTE to do all that, especially to Our Lady. There may be many bishops who qualify. As you know the conclave can elect as next pope ANY baptised man who qualifies to become bishop, without being a priest. Although there are some historic precedents, more realistically is to look in the list of leading archbishops if a non-cardinal would be the choice of the conclave.

1st pick:

Óscar Andrés Rodríguez cardinal Maradiaga, SDB (born December 29, 1942) is a Honduran Cardinal of the Catholic Church. He is the current Archbishop of Tegucigalpa, President of Caritas Internationalis and was President of the Latin American Episcopal Conference (CELAM) from 1995 to 1999. Rodríguez was elevated to the cardinalate in 2001. He was the Vatican's spokesperson with the International Monetary Fund and the World Bank, on the issue of Third World debt.

en.wikipedia.org...

I would say he is rather reformist. If he is elected, expect a spring storm in the Catholic church with many dead trees fallen. Perhaps we need a velvet revolution right now? Elect cardinal Maradiaga then! He is deeply devoted to Our Lady and this February he consecrated a Medjugorje Cross replica in Honduras before thousands of youths.
www.google.com...

2 pick:

Murilo Sebastião Ramos Krieger, S.C.J (19 September 1943 - ) is the current archbishop of São Salvador da Bahia and therefore primate of Brazil since his appointment by Pope Benedict XVI on 12 January 2011.
en.wikipedia.org...

My comment, the archbishop - primate of Brazil is the ideal candidate for a non-cardinal to be elected. At one point the cardinal-electors may be deadlocked within themselves if there are too opposite agendas among them. Then they need an outside person, as that happened in history. While there are other cardinals of Brazil, the biggest catholic country on earth, they are not so widely known to the outside world. Of course cardinal Sherer of Sao Paulo is a suitable candidate as well.

But you need an ENERGETIC REFORMER at this time of the Church history, who is at the same time a very devote person. Archbishop Krieger is known for his deep devotion to Our Lady and particularly the apparitions in Medjugorje. He has recorded talk with pope John Paul II together with other bishops on the topic of Medjugorje. Now as archbishop of Bahia he gets another big apparition site in his archdiocese - that of Anguera. He is still not a cardinal because his predecessor of Bahia is still alive and even under 80 (electable for pope).

However let face the truth. The 1.2 bln Church most of which lives in misery in the Third World, needs a man who shall make the change happen. The scenario of an old insider prelate who could improve the things from inside without much attention, has already been played and failed. And thanks God, pope Benedict resigned gracefully. We should thank him for that sublime gesture that very few in his place would have done. With that act now he opens the road for the election of someone younger and with more strength, as he himself said.

I would not comment St Malachi. We live here and now. If the prophecy of Rome fulfills, it would be rather because of lack of change, lack of will to change anything on part of those who have received that grace and obligation by God (in this case the cardinal-electors). May God help them find the right man for the right time! The way their predecessors found the unknown for the world Karol Józef Wojtyła in the not so distant 1978, to change the world and to avoid the nuclear holocaust. Today we are before other holocausts of economic and social matter, and the nuclear is not ruled out either. The Church and the world need change! Please church princes, let it happen NOW! Tomorrow will be too late if you do not hear the voice of the millions whom you should have served more fervently. At least gave the millions a way out by choosing someone who will make it instead of you yourselves!

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 02:15 AM
link   
Not the least, he must find the correct dialogue with the Eastern churches and in first pace with the Russian Orthodox Church. This could mean a lot if not everything. I will not enter into Fatima discussion now.

The many prospective and qualified candidates should untie around one single candidature of acceptable Third World candidate. Or they will just repeat the election of 2005 more or less, ending up with someone convenient for the majority of elderly cardinals but not convenient for the world. There are enough prelates in the Vatican who would fit the current status quo perfectly, and who are born from the Third World. This is not the change the world wants to see.

The new pope must set out a new beginning for the Church in 21st century, before it is too late. And it will become too late if certain conditions are not met (ref. Malachi, Fatima). Not because the prophecies are without alternative of postponement, but because the men make the prophecies happen by their lack of response to God's grace.

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 02:35 AM
link   
www.medjugorjetoday.tv...

Cardinal Óscar Andrés Rodríguez Maradiaga of Honduras and Medjugorje visionary Ivan Dragicevic were both among the speakers when about 4,000 young Catholics from 12 countries opened the first annual Youth Festival in Danli, Honduras, that took place on February 7-9.
After the festival was officially opened, the participants attended the solemn inauguration of an exact replica of the Cross from Cross Mountain in Medjugorje which has been built on a mountain outside of Danli, the local newspaper El Heraldo reports.

The new pope also must be the Marian pope who will finish what was started before him by other holy men.

Both my favorites have strong devotion to Our Lady. Many others do as well. You cannot really put a secularist as successor of Peter and to expect miracles of conversions. You should put a rather devote person, who without being fanatic knows what the value of spiritual is and how to make it reality with his active social life. For me this person entitles both qualities. For sure there are many others, hundreds among the bishops. May be it is a time to get away from the formula "cardinals-choose-cardinals-only"? If it is not a time for such a radical proposal, then simply choose Maradiaga. He will get the things done. I don't see any other Latin American cardinal as active as he is, and he shows devotion at the same time. I cannot speak of African or Asian candidates, don't know them. But they all must unite around one person. If they split the votes, there won't be a Third World pope. The majority European cardinals may indeed want a successor among themselves, but it is a time to understand the church is by its majority outside Europe and North America. If they do not choose someone who will act swiftly, (esp. in regard to failures of the past, including but not only Fatima), then everything might be lost in some apocalyptic scene of Malachi. Why should make it happen now?

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 07:35 AM
link   
I revert my view of cardinal Maradiaga, after learning he supported the 2009 coup in Honduras. The least we need is a conservative under the mask of change.

Seems to me that any of the Brazilian cardinals plus the primate of Brazil archbishop Krieger will be fit because will have behind himself the strength of hundred millions whose enthusiasm is unparalleled. (have you seen Brazilian crowds during pope Benedict's visit? No WYD could compare to it). But the enthusiasm alone would not repair the wounds of the church.

1. Married priests
2. Allowing the re-married couples to take holy communion (there might be conditions)
3. Active social program for the most poor and outcast especially in third world countries with big catholic communities

I believe the Brazilians are best suited for that because they dealt with that all the time. And there were voices for married priests exactly in Latin America. Don't know if the National Church of Brazil allows it already?

Cardinal Schoenborn is as well prepared to lead the Church into these issues, as he experienced dissent from his own priests. He said he could not aid them because he would enter into schism that he is not ready to do at that time. When the time is ripe then? Not schism but the change of the church from inside.

Notice, I do not support women-priests, since it is not in the Gospel.

Unless these issues are addressed ASAP, the church has no other way than the crucifixion, slow and painful. And when the resurrection will come, knows only Our Lord Jesus. Let not test the Lord, says the Gospel, but let do our part and change the Church today.

Peter was a married man, and did the work of the first pope well.

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 07:57 AM
link   
Is Babyon the Great a factor too, in the apparent choice of some within the highest hierarchy to the way of visible double cross of the Church?
I do not think the Catholic Church as a whole is Babylon the Grat. But perhaps, some of its members are among the fallen stars or fallen top clergy that the Revelation speaks about. Judasses in other words. Perhaps because of that the Church will be crucified, and in the eyes of the non-catholic world - Babylon will fall, i.e. Rome.

Is this what they want to do? And if so, if the ecclesiastical masonry want that to be done, why should the honest servants of God, the honest cardinals, support that deadly drive?

Choose Petrus Romanus with qualities to be the last pope and to lead the Cathlic church into the tomb, and you have done it. Then centuries may pass before it resurrects, if ever. Other Christian churches may take the lead.

Antioch patriarchs lead their apostolic succession to apostle Peter when he was in Antioch, and proudly call their see "the throne of Peter". They just elected the new Greek Orthodox patriarch of Antioch his beatitude John X.

Will the see of Peter move from Rome to somewhere else, if Rome is destroyed according to Fatima and Malachi? I don't want that to happen. But seems some do everything in that direction.

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 03:32 AM
link   
AFter Peter Turscson interview of Voice of America, now Brazilian Odilio Sherer gives interview to Fox news. Both speak in the style of, not the personality, not the country, not the age are important...
Pardon me? And what is then important? Are they both pressed to step back with their candidatures for pope?
Maradiaga of Honduras, outspoken critic on many hot questions, is accused of anti semitism and support of right wing coup in Hodnuras.

So we are left with nobody to present the relatively liberal Latin America? Perhaps the ultra-conservative Bergoglio of Argentine is a suitable candidate for the church' hierarchy?

What is going on Vatican? Oh conclave is a secret sacred thing. yes of course. But as we see it is done by men, that sometimes if not always are quite easily manipulative.

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 06:55 PM
link   
Cardinal Marc Ouellet

would be nice if he is elected to be the new pope
a french canadian pope from Canada

so far he seem to be one of the favorite in the race
but i think Peter Turkson will be elected

posted on Mar, 5 2013 @ 03:28 AM
link   
Elect a non-cardinal for pope! I know the cardinals won't read that, because they are too busy now to deal between themselves - a secluded group of 115 elderly men, appointed by the two previous popes. Let remember that in the last big consistory Benedict appointed a dozen of cardinals from the Curia (government). This is so much closed club in itself that no place for democracy or even for a fair proportional representation of the faithful is left. On theory there should be cardinals from every continent and big country. On practice, Italy has 28, the Curia has 38 (20 Italians), and countries like Brazil are left with several cardinals. Many traditionally catholic countries have only 1 cardinal. If he is older than 80 he doesn't elect. As it is the case with Ireland this time. Is this the Church of 21st century that pretends to lead 1.2 bln faithful out of a total of 2.5 bln Christians on Earth?

Let remember the cardinalate institution is NOT found in the Gospels. Only the position of Bishop dates back then. The entire idea of a pope who rules all Christians and a group of cardinals selected by him to choose his successor is much newer and does not have Biblical basis. It is NOT accepted by the equally valid apostolic churches who have succession including from Peter.

In contrast, the Orthodox and Oriental churches elect patriarchs on much larger gatherings that include ALL BISHOPS, plus pre-selected representatives of priesthood, monastic life, including nuns, and laity, including women. Recently were elected the patriarchs of Antioch and Alexandria. In the Alexandria Coptic Church, the biggest community of Christians in the entire Middle East including the Holy Land, the elections were as follows: the council of above mentioned members select 3 persons who should be at least monks or bishops. Then a lot is cast for one of them. A boy who chooses between 3 plastic balls with the 3 names inside, is selected by lot himself from a group of altar boys. Thus for patriarch of Alexandria, one of the oldest churches on Earth, was elected last year His Holiness Pope Tawadros II en.wikipedia.org...

Why not some change in the Roman catholic church too? Why not the cardinals to elect someone not among their secluded club? They have the right to do so! The history knows such choices - of bishops, monks, deacons. Why not now, when the Vatican is corrupt as never before since the Reformation?
edit on 5-3-2013 by 2012newstart because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 5 2013 @ 03:52 AM
link   
some catholic faithful without broader knowledge will quickly say that the apostles are represented today by the cardinals, while Jesus Christ - by the pope.

This cannot be farther from the truth. First, Jesus is and remains the head of the mystical church, not any pope, be it in Rome or in another city (as the pope of Alexandria).
Second, the choosing of 12 Apostles and not of Peter alone, gives the beginning of an Apostolic Church that consists of 12 or more local churches descendants of those 12 apostles, and not of Peter alone. Thus the Orthodox and Eastern patriarchs appear direct and unbroken successors of some of the 12 apostles, INCLUDING PETER in Antioch. Historically Roman bishop gained the biggest earthly power, and he is also recognized as successor of Peter by the rest of successors of apostles. And vice versus (I hope). Still that doesn't make the Roman pope a sole ruler over all Christian people. This is contrary to what Jesus established on Earth.

If you still believe that the cardinals emerge from the 12 apostles, see the list of the patriarchs for ex. the Ecumenical patriarch in Constantinople, who lead to St Andrew (so is th Russian). Or the Alexandria patriarchs who lead their apostolic succession to St Mark, disciple of Peter. Or the Eastern churches in India who lead to aposte Thomas. And so on. Peter has more than one succession lines, the others are in Antioch.

To pretend the cardinals lead from the Gospel, is UNTRUE. The cardinals appear much later in history, when Rome took enormous power from the Roman empire.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join