It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How do people with IQs of 140 - 200 think?

page: 30
<< 27  28  29    31  32  33 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 29 2008 @ 09:24 PM
link   
reply to post by jsobecky

IQ is no more a measure of overall intelligence than big muscles are a measure of overall strength.

Is a person with a high IQ who squanders his life in dissipation an intelligent person? Is a person with a high IQ who smokes an intelligent person? Is a person with a high IQ who can't maintain an emotional relationship or find love in life an intelligent person? Is a person with a high IQ who wants to do a pre-emptive nuclear strike on China or Russia an intelligent person? Is a person with a high IQ who goes out of control in temper tantrums an intelligent person?

Real intelligence involves more than a fast CPU.

posted on Oct, 30 2008 @ 03:37 PM
link   
IQ is bull. All it does is making "over standard" europeans even more full of themselves, not taking into account that not everybody have been given proper education and/or help.

Btw, a question. I read somewhere that the definition of intelligence is being able to learn new things. Would a person that learned him or herself "everything", but were never able to learn more than the basics of math, be classified as stupid?

posted on Oct, 30 2008 @ 04:32 PM
link   
I took an IQ test when I was very young. I didn't find out until I was 19 that my IQ was 142. I guess my parents were told they shouldn't tell me so I didn't develop an elitist attitude. I always learn things very quickly but I have to have some sort of interest in it otherwise I'll be bored and can't stay focused. I did horrible in high school because of this. Not sure if it's related to IQ but I have intense emotions and intuition. I feel what others are feeling just being near them and I can always tell when someone is being dishonest. It's really kind of hindering. I was usually ok in social situations. I was pretty introverted but I was a decent looking guy and sort of relied on that to attract women initially. I did always feel different and that I didn't belong on this planet. For awhile I felt I was supposed to change the world and was given this task by some higher power. At times I felt I was meant to suffer for others to benefit. I had panic attacks for a long time but they were mild and I wasn't sure what they were. I've had to deal with insomnia because I couldn't stop myself from thinking and over analyzing things. I started taking Paxil for my panic attacks and I can say it definitely helped them but I feel I've lost a lot of my creative thinking. I also feel numb and generally just dumbed down. I kind of feel that a high IQ can handicap you as much as a low IQ. You process things differently than the norm. You fall outside the lines.

posted on Oct, 30 2008 @ 04:37 PM
link   
I test consistantly between 143-148 and I thin like a caffined out 5 year old with terrible spelling and no patientce for having to repeat myself, also I have never considerd my self in the same manner as people who have found out my score, or think that I have displayed some sort of above average intelligence. But I have allways understood more than my level of edjucation would have dictated. ie quantum physics and relativity theories, but suck out loud at grammer, and what I consider teadiouse memorization tasks, such as low level math and other annoying activities.

posted on Oct, 30 2008 @ 09:18 PM
link   
This thread is really fun. You get to go back in time and see who claimed to have had an IQ of 140-200

posted on Oct, 31 2008 @ 01:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by Lucid Lunacy
This thread is really fun. You get to go back in time and see who claimed to have had an IQ of 140-200

My IQ is 2345!

You didn't see that coming, did you.

posted on Oct, 31 2008 @ 01:36 AM
link   
reply to post by Castaldi

Your ability to count sequentially was a staggering surprise

posted on Oct, 31 2008 @ 09:16 PM
link   
My iq is in the 140-200 range. I was given an iq test when i was in grade school they wanted to find out why i was always in so much trouble. The lady who gave me the test said i would be at a higher risk for mental illness and autism. I guess i think like everyone else but im not sure how everyone else thinks alota of times ill explain things to people like thoughts i have and they will look at me like im crazy. I also find that i think alot faster then i can type/talk which is why my grammer is so bad and i constantly stumble over words when i talk. Sometimes i cant hear over my own thoughts and have had whole conversations with people that i dont rember because i was lost in thought the whole time. But as fa as i know that could be how everyone thinks.

posted on Oct, 31 2008 @ 09:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Lucid Lunacy

Meh, some folks are just good at taking tests.

Online IQ quizzes are probably not the best measure to decide someones real IQ. They are merely a problem solving question and answer test in multiple choice format. Nothing to see here, move along.

posted on Oct, 31 2008 @ 09:34 PM
link   
I've been tested and fall within the 135-137 range. Not smart enough to join a MENSA group....awww...
Anyway, I believe that I read not too long ago that IQ really has more to do with problem solving abilities. Considering one of my motto's has always been "Adapt, Improvise and Overcome", perhaps that's true!

P.S. I have the same impatience as an above poster in having to repeat myself.

[edit on 31-10-2008 by ReginaAdonnaAaron]

posted on Oct, 31 2008 @ 10:00 PM
link   
Depending on which test I take, I'm in the 98th & 99 percentiles. I usually don't have to think much. In school, I either knew the subject and scored straight A's or I didn't and scored F's. I hated all classes except band. I can't play any instrument without music in front of me.

Not only am I not religious, I'm anti-religion, thinking that they have retarded society by, at least, 200 years.

I was in Mensa (98% requirement) for a while, mainly to get laid, but they were too petty for my interests. I was in Intertel (99% requirement), but they were all too much like me....too quiet, reflective, not much fun to be around. (I fit right in)

I, too, despise having to repeat myself in word or action.

[edit on 31-10-2008 by wookiee]

posted on Oct, 31 2008 @ 10:23 PM
link   
I think this thread dovetails nicely here:

How do People with an IQ of 70-100 think

There are some mmm lets say very interesting contributions by, apparent "Genius" material people.

Also some very good contributions by parents of and people who state low IQ's and the kind of world they experience.

In addition there are some interesting links I put up about how most of the % of genius material must be members of ATS based on statistical reasons, and stated results.

Oh and how many of the worlds most pioneering Nobel Laureates seem to have an IQ way below the average posted IQ of ATS members.

Also though to support some of the Posters who state genius levels on ATS,
as many prodigies and genius people would actually be drawn to ATS and "not fit in" or have become bums etc.

The EQ and balance with IQ is the balance that is important.

I also feel in a moment of omnipresence, that some but not all should look at:

The Online Ego

and

The Online Persona & the Real You

Kind Regards,

Elf.

edit link

[edit on 31-10-2008 by MischeviousElf]

posted on Oct, 31 2008 @ 10:35 PM
link   
I fall just under 150. The truth is that I find most people stupid. I think if 100 is average then average is stupid.

I look for intelligent conversations and debates with most people but usually only find it with people of similar intelligence. The biggest problem is that those who are not intelligent do not have the capacity for learning from those more intelligent than themselves. But me, I revere those more intelligent than myself....I seek them out and try to learn from them.

Also, I'd like to add that folks that disregard IQ as a true test of intelligence are just fooling themselves. I can certainly admit when someone is smarter than me, why can't others do the same? They usually point to some point in history when IQ tests were controversial, etc.

There is only one aspect of IQ tests that I don't agree with. Like when certain questions require very specific history knowledge, etc. Not that history isn't important...it most certainly is. It's just that it's only like 1 or 2 questions....how can that accurately tell anything?

As far as being different.....I find that I have greater capacity for troubleshooting. Greater ability to see several moves ahead. And a greater ability to see things from a global point of view.....I don't mean geography....I'm talking the overall picture of things. I also tend to think in three dimensions when pondering subjects that you wouldn't think require it.

But the absolute biggest difference I find is my constant curiosity. I just don't understand how folks can sit in front of mindless television when the internet puts the entire world's information right at their feet. I feel that those with lesser intelligence just do not have the curiousity required to learn higher concepts.

If your IQ is around the "average" range I fully expect to be flamed so don't hold back. I dare you to be curious enough to continue this conversation.....but please do so in an intelligent manner.

posted on Oct, 31 2008 @ 10:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by ipsedixit
reply to post by jsobecky

IQ is no more a measure of overall intelligence than big muscles are a measure of overall strength.

Is a person with a high IQ who squanders his life in dissipation an intelligent person? Is a person with a high IQ who smokes an intelligent person? Is a person with a high IQ who can't maintain an emotional relationship or find love in life an intelligent person? Is a person with a high IQ who wants to do a pre-emptive nuclear strike on China or Russia an intelligent person? Is a person with a high IQ who goes out of control in temper tantrums an intelligent person?

Real intelligence involves more than a fast CPU.

I think you have it all wrong. The answers to all your questions are, of course, YES. A person with a high IQ is not necessarily going to have the same morals and ideals that you may have. A preemptive strike? Perhaps there might be details of the situation a lesser IQ person couldn't even conceptualize. Smoking is dumb but not THAT kind of dumb. A person with out of control temper tantrum could very well be intelligent. Why not? I think your argument is apples and oranges. The decisions we make in life are based on lots of things.

IQ, to me, is a measure of capacity to reason. There is nothing moral or idealistic to it. Sure smart people can make bad decisions. Sure they can be bad people, etc. But that doesn't have anything to do with their intellectual capacity.

Having a high IQ does not mean you make better decisions. It means you have the capacity to weigh many details. It means you have the ability to put complicated things into context and can process information to a higher degree. The moral judgement a person makes with that information is a whole other topic.

posted on Oct, 31 2008 @ 11:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Castaldi
IQ is bull. All it does is making "over standard" europeans even more full of themselves, not taking into account that not everybody have been given proper education and/or help.

Btw, a question. I read somewhere that the definition of intelligence is being able to learn new things. Would a person that learned him or herself "everything", but were never able to learn more than the basics of math, be classified as stupid?

No, I don't see it that way. The definitive thing about IQ is capacity to learn. Problem solving, etc. A poor person in Africa who never learned a single thing in school can still have an extremely high IQ because of their inate personal abilities (genetics). It just might be that his capacity has never been tapped into. That person, to me, would NOT be stupid. But at the same time you can have someone who graduates college be dumb as a stump.

posted on Oct, 31 2008 @ 11:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by king9072
For what its worth, I was tested in Elementary school and they said mine was 142, I was enrolled in a "gifted" program with a few geeks but it wasn't really for me. School was always boring for me, and though I would rarely attend highschool I almost always aced tests, but I attribute that to exceptional memory. I have the ability to pull memories up at will and remember details, which I assume some people cant do. I remember taking tests, seeing the question then a "video" pops up in my head of the teacher at the front of the class explaining it, and voila I got the answer. As far as I know, I am also the most successful person in my graduating class of 300, though some are very close, if not slightly ahead. Some are still finishing 8 year crazy degrees, tens of thousands in debt and no guaranteed job. So I would assume I am doing ok.

On a side note I did this stupid www.free-iqtest.net... and they say I am 147, but I don't believe thats an accurate reading cause that test was pretty simple I think even most people would get in that range doing that test. I think for people to get a true reading of their "IQ" they would need to be administered a proper, formal, standardized test.

Take care!

[edit on 13-10-2008 by king9072]

I have a similar IQ and have similar school experiences. But I don't have that capacity for memorizing. For me, a proper schooling would have been to have some experience about the world first THEN and only THEN can I have the will to learn something. Like history for instance....good god it was boring in school. But by the time I learned a bit about the world I found my capacity for learning history grew fast.....because I could then put it into context. For instance, can anyone here say that they ever fully understood the real meaning of the Constitution without the experience of seeing contemporary politicians crap all over it?

posted on Oct, 31 2008 @ 11:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Catwoman1010

I really like the way you put it, very nice. I see things that way too. Especially the bit about intuitiveness, like others have mentioned here too. Having the ability to size up what people are really thinking can be a burden though. And I'm extremely empathetic as others have mentioned here too.

I find that as I approach 40 years I am becoming less and less patient with having to explain myself. Also, I have found that my interest in arts is increasing as I age. Started playing guitar at 24 and love it to bits. I think as I age and become less physical, my focus towards all things artistic grows. At a younger age I was more of the engineer type thinker but couldn't really sit still for structured learning. I'm much more well rounded now that I'm tapping into my creative side. I find it much easier to focus on creative things. I still love diving into physics and other right brains stuff though.

I am right-handed btw. I like your thoughts on being left handed. I never looked at it that way. Your explanation is very practical and realistic.

posted on Oct, 31 2008 @ 11:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by PeteLee
We think, creatively, constantly. We use all of our senses, and we're very consciously aware. We also think abstractly, often.

Damn, I wish I wrote that! What a great, simple explanation! I should go back and delete my wordy posts. LOL

posted on Nov, 1 2008 @ 02:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by Liberty1
IQ, to me, is a measure of capacity to reason. There is nothing moral or idealistic to it.

I agree that IQ is a measure of the capacity to reason, and if human beings were used for that purpose alone, as computer chips are, then IQ tests would be a true measure of the man. Other considerations could be dispensed with.

Sure smart people can make bad decisions. Sure they can be bad people, etc. But that doesn't have anything to do with their intellectual capacity.

Here's where we disagree. I think humanity is right to have higher standards for human beings than it does for micro-processors. Personally, I would argue that a person with a broadly developed culture had a greater intellectual capacity than a person with the same IQ who was a one trick pony.

Having a high IQ does not mean you make better decisions. It means you have the capacity to weigh many details. It means you have the ability to put complicated things into context and can process information to a higher degree.

I agree with what you are saying, but doesn't that mean that a person with a high IQ should be expected to carry his analysis of detail into all the pertinent areas, moral and ethical that we as social beings have a right to expect of anyone on whose analysis we depend.

The moral judgement a person makes with that information is a whole other topic.

Are you implying here that moral and ethical considerations don't require any element of intellectual capacity to decide? I'm sure you are not, but a lot of technically minded people nowadays are too dismissive of this area of human concern. They write it off as unquantifiable and therefore certainly unimportant and worse, probably imaginary.

To me what is lurking like the proverbial 800 pound gorilla behind your position is a notion, popular among scientists, that they should not have to weigh moral and ethical issues as part of their responsibity when doing research.

I think the IQ test trap has put our human culture into this bind. It has put too much emphasis on one part of human intelligence and encouraged a dis-integration of the human personality and of society itself.

It strikes me as being somewhat stupid for a geneticist with a high IQ to leave the ethical consideration of his work entirely to others, and to pursue his research wherever it might lead. I think it is only a slight exaggeration to compare such an attitude to that of a rat with electrodes implanted in his pleasure centers who basically "whacks" himself off.

Is that intelligent?

posted on Nov, 1 2008 @ 02:38 AM
link   
How do we feel? Well, we feel isolated and alone.

There are very few shining lights in the night. Light is the way, but darkness is the norm. Darkness is ignorance, and those of light must awake the rest to sweet illumination.

Knowledge is my water, and Wisdom is my bread. This is my staple.

[edit on 1-11-2008 by Aleilius]

top topics

<< 27  28  29    31  32  33 >>

join