It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cat food shortages

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 27 2021 @ 12:48 PM
link   
a reply to: lordcomac

I found out we have foxes and fisher cats around. Not to mention dogs and people. I overheard a woman in the store talking excitedly about how her dog caught a cat in her yard and she sounded delighted that the cat wouldn't be coming around anymore. It was all I could do to contain myself!

My husband is of the same mind as your wife. I say we need to have backup supplies just in case. He jokes and has said stuff like, "Alright Laura Ingalls, we're not on the prairie. We live minutes away from the grocery store."

posted on Nov, 27 2021 @ 12:52 PM
link   
I have found zero cat food shortages.
I buy my cats Blue Buffalo brand foods and never ever have a problem.

posted on Nov, 27 2021 @ 12:55 PM
link   
The big brand cat foods like the Sheba that we feed are sold out a LOT around here. We have trouble finding them. On the bright side, we use two more boutique brands that are made in the US and smaller batch that we have no trouble getting. The problem with both the last two is that they are expensive. We do keep our three cats on portioning so it helps.

We use Taste of the Wild kibble and a freeze dried raw that we rehydrate to round out the Sheba.

posted on Nov, 27 2021 @ 01:02 PM
link   
a reply to: Ellie Sagan
Lake Norman, NC. About 20 miles north of Charlotte.

posted on Nov, 27 2021 @ 01:08 PM
link   

I buy Fromm, which is made in the U.S. out of domestic ingredients. What you are seeing missing from the shelves are foods from China or ones that require ingredients from China.

posted on Nov, 27 2021 @ 01:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: Ellie Sagan
a reply to: GravitySucks

True, I guess. But is it hoarding when you try to stock up extra for when you can't get it? When I get it, I get a little extra, but I never take all of what is left on the shelf. I know others are trying to take care of their pets too.

I have barn cats. Lots of them sometimes. There are months where it is difficult to get to or in my barn due to heavy snow loads and it is about 250 feet from my house. It sucks to carry 25-45 pounds of cat food into the barn during snow season If I happen to run out. So thanks to the OP for the post regarding a possible shortage. Although I just got some cat food and didn't notice any lack of product, I normally stock up to survive the snowy months which I haven't done as yet. We've only had one snowfall this season and it wasn't critical.

I don't consider it hoarding at all, I consider it PLANNING AHEAD.

But I will say, I'm noticing a possible discrepancy in those pics, especially the one about 'more availability this summer' (which has passed) & challenges through 2021. We are at the end of 2021 so.......?

posted on Nov, 27 2021 @ 01:19 PM
link   
I was at Petsmart the other day and all the shelves are packed. Neighbor kid works at the Petco....and all the shelves are packed. Maybe it is regional and based on trucks getting there. I am in Colorado.

None of our shelves are bare of ANYTHING......while some places seem to be bare of a lot.

posted on Nov, 27 2021 @ 01:30 PM
link   
If you want to make your own dog or cat food, here is a good website. You select the ingredients that you want and the website will generate a balanced meal for your pets. There is also a search option which allows you to select ingredients that are not listed. The only drawback is that you need to use their supplements for it to be completely balanced. I've been using it for years for one of my dogs that is allergic to something in commercial pet foods and it was recommend by my vet.

It can be a little complicated to use, but if someone is interested, I will take the time to make detailed instructions.

Balance It

posted on Nov, 27 2021 @ 01:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: tamusan
If you want to make your own dog or cat food, here is a good website. You select the ingredients that you want and the website will generate a balanced meal for your pets. There is also a search option which allows you to select ingredients that are not listed. The only drawback is that you need to use their supplements for it to be completely balanced. I've been using it for years for one of my dogs that is allergic to something in commercial pet foods and it was recommend by my vet.

It can be a little complicated to use, but if someone is interested, I will take the time to make detailed instructions.

Balance It

Thanks for sharing. May try it for future pets.
I fed my German Shepherd a raw diet, but I just made it all myself.

posted on Nov, 27 2021 @ 01:42 PM
link   

I have an African serval/Savannah mix cat.
We have to give him taurine supplements in addition to his raw food.
Raw is great for all cats.
Some are picky but will eventually make the switch.

posted on Nov, 27 2021 @ 01:45 PM
link   
a reply to: shaemac

I was doing raw for a while and it helped some with the allergies. It's just a lot of work to make a nutritionally complete raw diet.

posted on Nov, 27 2021 @ 01:51 PM
link   

I've been having some problems sourcing wet cat food (Fancy Feast) for the past 6 months or so. What's bothering me is.....24 cans, if you want it within 2 weeks, $38 for 24 cans.

I've found that Wally World or Amazon don't have too much of a problem....yet.
edit on 27-11-2021 by billxam because: added line

posted on Nov, 27 2021 @ 02:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: billxam

I've been having some problems sourcing wet cat food (Fancy Feast) for the past 6 months or so. What's bothering me is.....24 cans, if you want it within 2 weeks, $38 for 24 cans.

What!! wow..38$ ?? thats crazy. It's usually 80-ish cents a can here. Last time I bought, was on sale 70c if you buy 10

So far no problems here in B.C.

posted on Nov, 27 2021 @ 02:14 PM
link   
We've been ordering from Chewy (AKA amazon) and they seem to have pretty good supply chains. So far.

We spend a bit more on nicer dry cat food (plus a few cans of wet food a week shared between the three cats) but I know it's still not as good as we could do. Maybe once I get up on my hill it will be easier.

The dry food does have taurine, but not much.

Chicken, Chicken Meal, Corn Gluten Meal, Brown Rice, Brewer's Rice, Dried Peas, Poultry Fat (Preserved with Mixed Tocopherols), Whole Flaxseed, Fish Meal, Dried Plain Beet Pulp, Natural Flavor, Caramel (Color), Salt, Potassium Chloride, Dicalsium Phosphate, Choline Chloride, Taurine, Dried Carrots, Vitamin E Supplement, Zinc Sulfate, Calcium Carbonate, L-Tryptophan, Ferrous Sulfate, Niacin, L-Ascorbyl-2-Polyphosphate (Source of Vitamin C), Manganese Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, Vitamin A Supplement, Thiamine Mononitrate, d-Calcium Pantothenate, Biotin, Sodium Selenite, Riboflavin Supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Source of Vitamin B6), Menadione Sodium Bisulfite Complex (Source of Vitamin K Activity), Vitamin B12 Supplement, Folic Acid, Potassium Iodide, Vitamin D3 Supplement.

Poor cats.
I miss letting them outside, where they supplemented their own diets... and hardly used the litter box.

posted on Nov, 27 2021 @ 02:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: vonclod

What!! wow..38$ ?? thats crazy. It's usually 80-ish cents a can here. Last time I bought, was on sale 70c if you buy 10

We're paying about $29 for 24x5.5oz cans.

Or, we were.
They appear to be all out of stock.

posted on Nov, 27 2021 @ 02:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: Macenroe82

I have an African serval/Savannah mix cat.
We have to give him taurine supplements in addition to his raw food.
Raw is great for all cats.
Some are picky but will eventually make the switch.

Beautiful feline! Long time since we chatted, hope you’re well my friend.

posted on Nov, 27 2021 @ 02:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: lordcomac

originally posted by: vonclod

We're paying about $29 for 24x5.5oz cans.

Or, we were.
They appear to be all out of stock.

Ahh, ok, that partially explains the price difference, still some gouging going on there. The cans here are about 3oz, I have never seen the 5oz cans here(Fancy Feast).

I lost one of my boys to a Coyote, and had one injured pretty bad, damn Coyotes!

edit on 27-11-2021 by vonclod because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 27 2021 @ 02:24 PM
link   
I always worry about those little scraps of meat when they come from China.
What happened to the rest of people if they are killed for organs.:
Uighurs...

posted on Nov, 27 2021 @ 02:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: SeaWorthy
I always worry about those little scraps of meat when they come from China.
What happened to the rest of people if they are killed for organs.:
Uighurs...

Well, they do have a history of selling poisoned dog food
Disgusting!!!

posted on Nov, 27 2021 @ 02:29 PM
link   

Noticing this in rural SC and trying to buy through Amazon. Luckily all the cats are outdoor ones that seem to have no problem hunting, so less worried but still like to supplement them in the cold like this.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join