It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cat food shortages

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+7 more 
posted on Nov, 27 2021 @ 11:58 AM
link   
I know it may seem low on a lot of peoples' lists, but I have been having difficulty for a few months getting cat food. There is cat food available, but often the shelves are almost empty. The stores (I go to more than one) have said it's definitely happening, it's not just bad timing on my part.
I have 10 cats and I try to feed them the best food I can afford, but often give them the cheap stuff because it's so darn expensive feeding these little sh**s!
Anyway, it has forced me to think about if I can't stock up enough for them, what would I do? It is said that they can't live on people food because they need taurine. So I bought taurine to supplement their food with for now (apparently a lot of cats don't get ideal amounts even with proper cat food), but also for possible future scarcity.
I understand that this is a survival forum, but I assume that I can't be the only one who is trying to provide for pets also.

example of taurine
edit on 27-11-2021 by Ellie Sagan because: trying to figure out stinkin links!

posted on Nov, 27 2021 @ 12:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: Ellie Sagan

They forgot hoarding.

posted on Nov, 27 2021 @ 12:05 PM
link   
a reply to: GravitySucks

True, I guess. But is it hoarding when you try to stock up extra for when you can't get it? When I get it, I get a little extra, but I never take all of what is left on the shelf. I know others are trying to take care of their pets too.

posted on Nov, 27 2021 @ 12:06 PM
link   
a reply to: Ellie Sagan

Weird. I don't have this where I am, but drug dealers and people with wet basements buy up all of the Silica cat litter my cat likes and I find this very annoying.

posted on Nov, 27 2021 @ 12:09 PM
link   
a reply to: Atsbhct

I'm in upstate NY. Why do they buy up that litter? Is that the one that looks like crystals?

posted on Nov, 27 2021 @ 12:10 PM
link   
The Prawns from District 9 have landed and cleared out the shelves.
They love that cat food.

posted on Nov, 27 2021 @ 12:13 PM
link   
I’ve noticed it over the past 4 months or so. At first it was just Walmart, but now it’s everywhere. Grocery, pharmacy(cvs, Walgreens), petSmart, tractor supply. And just last Saturday the vet expressed concern that their own supply chain is questionable. It’s also hitting dog food too, just not as noticeably yet. Not to mention the prices are up about 35 cents a can, about 5$ a case of 24.

posted on Nov, 27 2021 @ 12:14 PM
link   
a reply to: Silcone Synapse

Lmao It's been so long since I've seen that movie, I forgot that part! I had to look it up.

posted on Nov, 27 2021 @ 12:16 PM
link   
a reply to: BuddytheYorkie

Mind if I inquire in general what area you are in? I'm curious because a lot of shortages seem to be different in different places.

posted on Nov, 27 2021 @ 12:18 PM
link   

The stores around here (small town midwest U.S.) have also had empty shelves for most of this year. When they do get stuff in stock, it's only small amounts and doesn't seem to last very long.

Not just the cat food, but also the cat litter.

posted on Nov, 27 2021 @ 12:19 PM
link   

What I've seen in Europe is specific types of animal food are getting more difficult to obtain. Takes more shopping around.

Cheers

posted on Nov, 27 2021 @ 12:21 PM
link   
I wonder how much of it is currently on container ships floating off the coast of California.

posted on Nov, 27 2021 @ 12:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: Ellie Sagan
a reply to: Atsbhct

I'm in upstate NY. Why do they buy up that litter? Is that the one that looks like crystals?

Yep. It absorbs moisture. It's basically the same as those little Silica gel packets that come in shoe boxes. It's good to prevent wet mold.

posted on Nov, 27 2021 @ 12:23 PM
link   
My wife has been having trouble the past few months getting wet cat food at stores. Past few months she has been ordering the food online. We’re in Pennsylvania

posted on Nov, 27 2021 @ 12:24 PM
link   
Your cats will never starve. They will eat and kill anything they have to if you do not feed them. Unless you are in an area infested with coyotes, they are fine. Even with coyotes, cats are still top tier predators when it comes to North America.
edit on 27-11-2021 by TrollMagnet because:

posted on Nov, 27 2021 @ 12:30 PM
link   
a reply to: TrollMagnet

Um, I have marshmallow cats who are only indoors. I could never see letting them out to try to fend for themselves now. I've spoiled them too much. I actually have started sometimes giving them less or waiting longer to feed them. They may need to subsist at some point. If it came down to them starving, I wouldn't be against shooting them so they wouldn't suffer.

posted on Nov, 27 2021 @ 12:36 PM
link   
If you are unfamiliar, farm supply stores like The Grange, or other livestock feed stores typically have a broad selection of house pet foods as well and are often under utilized by the public at large.

We keep a pantry, so items like canned tuna are considerations in a pinch. You have a wonderful heart. It is said :” We will be treated in Heaven in kind with how we treated animals on Earth.”

posted on Nov, 27 2021 @ 12:39 PM
link   
a reply to: BrokenCircles

It's kind of a pain in the butt, but I use wood pellets for their litter. It's cheaper, better for the environment, and better for their respiratory systems. I haven't had trouble with those being in stock. There is a brand called Feline Pine, but you can use pine bedding pellets or even heating pellets from a farm store. I go to Tractor Supply Company. $5.49 and $6.29 for 40 pound bags

pine

heating

posted on Nov, 27 2021 @ 12:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: TrollMagnet
Your cats will never starve. They will eat and kill anything they have to if you do not feed them. Unless you are in an area infested with coyotes, they are fine. Even with coyotes, cats are still top tier predators when it comes to North America.

Two years ago, I lost two cats to those bastards- and 16 others in the immediate area all vanished in a period of about two months. Many of them had been outdoor cats for well over a decade.

In northern states, we're seeing half-breed coyotes- they started releasing wolves in southern canada to control other wildlife, and they've begun breeding with wolves. now we have wolf/coyote hybrids that cover huge distances and happily clear out populations of outdoor pets.

Now our cats stay inside, I can't take much more of that. As for food, we do try to keep a good supply of both wet and dry food on hand for them- but we've been ordering it online for a few years now, because the local availability was always spotty to begin with, and the prices are higher. We order litter online too, it's about the same price delivered to my door as driving into the city to buy it at the local bulk shopping place. I feel bad for the fedex delivery guys, but I'd rather burn their time and fuel than my own.
I just wish the wife was onboard with storing extra food- she's a big fan of the "just in time" system that has completely screwed so many other markets... we just put the rest of the dry food out this am, and we're expecting a delivery monday. If they run out I'll be feeding the cats chicken until I can source more- not a place I want to be.

posted on Nov, 27 2021 @ 12:41 PM
link   
a reply to: BlueJacket

Yeah, that's funny you mention that. Recently, I was going to check it out at my Tractor Supply store because my sister in law suggested it, but the shelves were picked clean!

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join