It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is a biblical concept that you (as a christian) believe, but wish you understood better?

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 24 2021 @ 07:13 AM
link   
a reply to: NOTurTypical

That is Jehovah. Yaweh is a tribal god of the intellectual Greeks (intellectualism still being worshiped today), the name was so similar to the Jewish JHVH but things that are different are not equal.

edit on 8/24/2021 by ChesterJohn because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 24 2021 @ 07:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: ChesterJohn

That is Jehovah. Yaweh is a tribal god of the intellectual Greeks, the name was so similar to the Jewish JHVH but things that are different are not equal.

The Name YHWH (יהוה) appears 8,000+ times in the Tenakh. Yod (Y) Heh (H) Vav (V/W) Heh (H) - YHWH. There is no letter J in Hebrew. Furthermore, there is no letter J in Greek either.

posted on Aug, 24 2021 @ 07:30 AM
link   

That is Jehovah. Yaweh is a tribal god of the intellectual Greeks, the name was so similar to the Jewish JHVH but things that are different are not equal.

That's actually a very common misconception. YHVH is not actually a name, although it does pronounce (depending on vowel placement) like the name of a pagan God. YHVH roughly means "I am", but is actually has a confusing tense to it. It's a mix of "I was", and "I will be what I will be". It's often taken to mean "אֶהְיֶה אֲשֶׁר אֶהְיֶה‎,". The term Jehovah is simply a literary trick of overlaying the constants of this holy self proclaimed name with the nikkud of "Adonai" to insure it was not read. Westerns mistakenly read it as Jehovah, but it was meant to be read as Adonai, meaning "אֶהְיֶה אֲשֶׁר אֶהְיֶה‎,".

posted on Aug, 24 2021 @ 07:39 AM
link   
a reply to: GolgothaBridge

they just substitutes the YHWH for JHVH.

There is a sound of a "J" (jay) in the Hebrew of which your quotes are missing the indicator for the proper sound being jay and not Y (Wa, Ya or Ah). There are certain J's in Hebrew that are not silent. That is why JACOBOS (Greek transliteration) is translated not transliterated JAMES. Even in Greek these sounds are made even if their is a shared letter for the sounds.

If you will used Yaweh instead of JEHOVAH then be constant. Say Yews, Yames, Yohn, Yoy, Yubalee, Yoshua, Yesus, Yudge.

posted on Aug, 24 2021 @ 07:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: GolgothaBridgeYHVH roughly means "I am"
This is a Lie. JHVH is an Abbreviation of the name revealed to Moses for Israel JEHOVAH does not mean "I AM". You made a private interpretation to comfort yourself in your error.

Modern Hebrew was not the Ancient Hebrew of the OT Bible prior to 300BC.

posted on Aug, 24 2021 @ 07:47 AM
link   

You are way off as well. The Canaanite deities were Ashteroth, Ba’al, and Moloch. Elijah’s showdown with the prophets of Ba’al and prophetess of Ashteroth on Mt. Carmel highlight this confrontation between Yahweh’s prophet Elijah and the false deities of the Caananites that isolators in the northern kingdom adopted. YWHH is the Name of God, that spoke to Moses from the burning bush, “ Am the I AM” is a title He used. But He uses dozens of titles for Himself in the Tenakh.

“I Am that I Am” is merely an English translation of the Hebrew: ’ehye ’ăšer ’ehye (אֶהְיֶה אֲשֶׁר אֶהְיֶה). As stated above, the Name of God YHWH is used more than 8,000 times in the Tenakh. To claim YHWH isn’t the Name of God in the OT I’d, I hate to say this, patently absurd. I honestly mean no disrespect, but the ancient texts are clear on this. Abraham brought the worship of YHWH to Canaan, and Melchizedek was there in Salem as a king and high priest to YHWH the Most High. The true God is YHWH, the false Canaanite gods were Molech, Ashteroth and Ba’al her son.

posted on Aug, 24 2021 @ 07:47 AM
link   
a reply to: ChesterJohn

It never was an abbreviation. It was simply written without vowels as was the custom in the day. In fact, that is still common in Israel.

posted on Aug, 24 2021 @ 07:49 AM
link   

when you write something without vowels it is an abbreviation.

ab·bre·vi·a·tion noun - a shortened form of a word or phrase.

You might but I am not a JEW. I have an English Bible not an English bible with transliterated Hebrew words in it.
There are actually very few Transliterated words in the Bible.

posted on Aug, 24 2021 @ 07:50 AM
link   

It's more of an answer to Moses as to who was sending him in my understanding. I am who I am, that's all you need to know. Rather or not this being has a personal name is unsure as we would not be able to comprehend it and for a solitairy (the only one of his "species") kind of being, why would a personal name be a thing.

posted on Aug, 24 2021 @ 07:52 AM
link   

But the nikkud are not actually letters, but decorations for letters which denote pronounced sounds. Like the two dots in "ä" as opposed to "a". Would a be an abbreviation of ä?

posted on Aug, 24 2021 @ 08:00 AM
link   

I AM is something different that JHVH/LORD. JEHOVAH DOES NOT MEAN I AM.

It means literally and simply, "Self Existent God or Self Existent ONE"

posted on Aug, 24 2021 @ 08:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: GolgothaBridge

It's more of an answer to Moses as to who was sending him in my understanding. I am who I am, that's all you need to know. Rather or not this being has a personal name is unsure as we would not be able to comprehend it and for a solitairy (the only one of his "species") kind of being, why would a personal name be a thing.

Bro, go read Exodus 3 where this story is. Everywhere in that chapter where the word “LORD” appears in all caps the Hebrew underlying that text says “YHWH”.

Yahweh is telling Moses to tell the children of Israel that “I Am the I Am” has sent him, and that He is Yahweh the God of Abraham, Issac and Jacob. (Avraham, Yitzchok, and Ya’aqov)

posted on Aug, 24 2021 @ 08:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: GolgothaBridgeBut the nikkud are not actually letters, but decorations for letters which denote pronounced sounds. Like the two dots in "ä" as opposed to "a". Would a be an abbreviation of ä?

Find an ORIGINAL Inspired Hebrew text and show me the nikkud.

Oh wait, you can't there are none in existence at all in any school, university or church anywhere in the world today.

So if you don't have the ORIGINAL INSPIRED TEXT then you can't prove your point because you have nothing to compare it too for proof of correct grammar.

So it is best to stick to a Bible that has ALL THE WORDS, PHRASES, VERSES AND SECTIONS in it. That is Right (I challenge you to prove me wrong)only the AV1611 meets that requirement.

Believe it in English or just go start another religious groups using you own private interpretation of the Bible.

posted on Aug, 24 2021 @ 08:06 AM
link   

Actually that's my point, they often did not she the nikkud in day to day writing. It's mostly for children. So it is likely that they would not have used it. As for which document is original, I'm sure there is disagreement amongst various groups.

posted on Aug, 24 2021 @ 08:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: GolgothaBridgeYHVH roughly means "I am"
This is a Lie. JHVH is an Abbreviation of the name revealed to Moses for Israel JEHOVAH does not mean "I AM". You made a private interpretation to comfort yourself in your error.

Modern Hebrew was not the Ancient Hebrew of the OT Bible prior to 300BC.

Sir, take a course in Biblical languages. The letter “J” is only 400-500 years old. There is no letter J in Hebrew or Greek, there isn’t even the letter J in Latin. The letter J comes from Germany. You simply don’t know the Hebrew the OT was written in, a first semester Hebrew language student will tell you this.

posted on Aug, 24 2021 @ 08:12 AM
link   
[post]originally posted by: NOTurTypical

I have a BA, MA, ThG, ThD 8 years of formal Seminary Training and MissionField experincce for 15years.

However it is not Hebrew you need to learn, it is English.

posted on Aug, 24 2021 @ 08:13 AM
link   

Jacob in Hebrew is “Ya’aqav”

posted on Aug, 24 2021 @ 08:19 AM
link   

[post]originally posted by: NOTurTypical

I have a BA, MA, ThG, ThD 8 years of formal Seminary Training and MissionField experincce for 15years.

However it is not Hebrew you need to learn, it is English.

Explain why I need to learn English to read the Tenakh in the original language? That seems super goofy since it was written in Hebrew, not English. The English is a translation of German which was a translation of Latin which was a translation of Greek which was a translation of the original Hebrew. 🤷‍♂️

posted on Aug, 24 2021 @ 08:19 AM
link   

Jacobos is Greek transliteration of the name JAMES.

Joannes is a Greek Transliteration of the name JOHN.

Greek had the sound "JAY" in their alphabet but it shared a common letter that is also pronounced silently. That does not make it that every word that starts with a J in the English comes from a letter that is to be only pronounced silently.

posted on Aug, 24 2021 @ 08:22 AM
link   

I like the Russian letter ж because we have this sound in English, but no letter for it. The word Garage vs the word гараж. Same pronunciation and meaning in both languages, but different spelling due to an alphabet missing or having a letter.

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join